Penang Tourist Visa

Honestly Dupont, why do you feel it is necessary to spout off such unhelpful cliches? Some people do not fit so simply into your supposed ideal criteria, nor are some of us unhelpful in Thai society or doing anything illegal, untoward, or have unsavory reasons to wish to be here. Brandishing people as "bus loads of hung over scruffy falangs" is really quite childish. If you cant offer anything helpful or useful, why offer anything at all.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still say that if one has a "residence" in Thailand, and you show proof of funds e.t.c. there is no way you cannot stay in Thailand., even if mixing tourist visas with border runs.

I reported 2-3 weeks ago that ALL Thai consulates and embassies have been instructed to cut the TV quota,s.

Laos is falling into line.

There is NO way that you will be able to stay in Thailand indefinately using a combination of Visa runs and TV,s.

You are deluding yourself if you believe it will be possible.

Honestly Dupont, why do you feel it is necessary to spout off such unhelpful cliches? Some people do not fit so simply into your supposed ideal criteria, nor are some of us unhelpful in Thai society or doing anything illegal, untoward, or have unsavory reasons to wish to be here. Brandishing people as "bus loads of hung over scruffy falangs" is really quite childish. If you cant offer anything helpful or useful, why offer anything at all.

You can't expect them to change this law for the handful of people that may be year on year tourists can you? you cannot expect them to let a few thousand scum stay here just because some nice people may get caught up in this.

I am certain there are people that do not fit that description, but look around, most TV visa runners do fit that description and many are still holding out from getting proper visas as they don't want to pay tax.

You should address the issue for youself. If you don't qualify for a visa, you won't get one. If you qualify for one or can put yourself in a position to qualify for one, good luck and I hope you are sucessful.

I also hope that I can run my business without having to compete with bogus companies that pay no taxes have no insurance and contribute zero to Thailand.

You can't expect them to change this law for the handful of people that may be year on year tourists can you? you cannot expect them to let a few thousand scum stay here just because some nice people may get caught up in this.

I am certain there are people that do not fit that description, but look around, most TV visa runners do fit that description and many are still holding out from getting proper visas as they don't want to pay tax.

You should address the issue for youself. If you don't qualify for a visa, you won't get one. If you qualify for one or can put yourself in a position to qualify for one, good luck and I hope you are sucessful.

I also hope that I can run my business without having to compete with bogus companies that pay no taxes have no insurance and contribute zero to Thailand.

i take it your last paragraph was directed at the THAI business culture?

I still say that if one has a "residence" in Thailand, and you show proof of funds e.t.c. there is no way you cannot stay in Thailand., even if mixing tourist visas with border runs.

I reported 2-3 weeks ago that ALL Thai consulates and embassies have been instructed to cut the TV quota,s.

There is NO way that you will be able to stay in Thailand indefinately using a combination of Visa runs and TV,s.

How is Laos "falling into line"?

From all accounts over the last month, Laos is getting easier as evidenced by quite a few people getting double-entry TV's.

Last year they were issuing warning stamps, but not now.

From all accounts over the last month, Laos is getting easier as evidenced by quite a few people getting double-entry TV's.

" Falling " Present tense. Last month is becoming irrelevant I,m afraid.

Wait and see. :o

" Falling " Present tense. Last month is becoming irrelevant I,m afraid.

Wait and see. :o

"Falling into line" assumes it's happening right now. It isn't and by all accounts it's improving.

Obviously the general trend of most consulates has been downhill, so I'm not going to place any bets on "wait and see".

I was flat out denied in penang a few days ago...reason givin being i had overstays....fair enough except several people i talked to that had overstayed more than me but still got thier visas no problem! some without no more penang stamps, some with....makes no sense!

shortly after a visa agent took great pleasure in telling me i should have used his service!

in KL at the moment, should pick up visa tommorow ( fingers crossed ) will let you know tommorow!

ps, the staff at KL are a million times more friendly and helpfull, the most i could get out of the penang guy was " toomany overstay ! you go KL you go KL! " where as the immigration cue at KL was maddenly slow, but only because they actually talked to each individual applicant, and you were able to ask questions no problem.

anyways, wish me luck!

Hey guys. Update on KL: Just returned 3 days ago from KL and had no problems getting my TV. My passport has a TV from my home country from 2006, and then back to back TVs (home country, Penang with 30 day ext. and new one from KL). However, a friend in town came back at the same time from Penang with the may not return stamp on his...so not too sure of my next move. Was hoping to stay in Thailand another 5 or 6 months. So far have not had any VOA's, but am wondering if I do 2 border runs after my current visa expires for the 30 day VOAs if that would be worse than risking the dreaded red stamp for another TV... any thoughts?

Can't wait to prove what a scaremonger "Manchester" is. No more visas for us who don't work, have money, can get any number of jobs but just don't want to? I'll post my visa on here dec 20th - with a history as long as your arm man mate! :o

Its hardly scaremongering when I,ve reported what was mentioned in meetings in Bangkok.

And who said anything about NO MORE visa,s?

Please read more carefully.

Its stated that they are cutting out of the system those that try to live semi-permanently on TV,s.

But you go ahead " mate " and live your dream on TV,s

What kind of business are you running that where farangs that do the visa runs are under cutting you??

Does anybody really think that Thai Consulates and Embassies throughout the world are there for the sole purpose of enabling people to stay in their country indefinately?

As regarding consulates and Embassy visa sections yes, quite frankly. Do railway staff complain you use their trains too frequently and then bar you from travel?

Yes actually if you fail to meet the criteria ie, have the money to pay, or habitually abuse and damage the stock. Embassys and Visa sections were in place for more needy people and more genuine people. I underlined the key bits again for you.

Poor analogy btw, but if you seriously think they are there to keep bar owners, scammers and tax dodgers in business then its your right. I just don't agree with you!

How many times have we had bar or small business owners tell us, "this is Thailand mate, you don't pay tax here" "what you do is put the bar in the missus's name! clever int I mate, don't need a work permit, don't pay tax etc... blah blah brag boast check out the new tats etc" and as for everybody that has a friend in the police, government immigration etc, well, thats 100% of em.

i guess you're too busy moralizing to notice that the very bar owners you're complaining about can still put the bar in the missus' name... if they're married, last i'd heard, they can get a non-immigrant visa generally, can they not?

its good they changed how they enforce their rules though isn't it. now you no longer have a hard time figuring out who you can feel superior to--just ask to see their passport and look for the stamp. convenient.

well, just got back from the embassy at KL, no problems whatsoever! got my visa, not even a " do not come back to KL" stamp

if anyones curious, my passport had loads of stamps in it, several cambodia stamps, 2 thai tv's, a few lao stamps.....you get the picture.

so , good news from KL! definately much better option than penang, especially if youve got a passport full of stamps.

Hi I have just got back from Aranyaprathet, where the immigration official only gave me 12 days because she said I had run out of days??? even though I had a tourist visa issued in Penang in sept of this year.

Astounded I asked if I could go to a neighbouring country to get a TV and she said yes, it was just due to me running out of days...

I also found this obsure, due to the fact that I have only just finished my one month ext' and this was my first proper visa run?

As for being lazy scum, I have spent way over 3.5millionm baht in this country over 4yrs, helped in the aftermath of the Tsunami and currently support my long term girlfriend and her 9yr old daughter + her sister's baby by a run away FARANG father.... so who is responsible enough to stay in this country?

My funds are running out shortly and I am looking to teach English here, Which I have done to the majority of Thai people that I have met.

Therefore I would love to know if Laos is really an option for TV's till I get a job and W/permit sorted out as I also have 2 TV's in this current passport and 1 in my previous passport.

This situation is worrying but not as worrying as it is for my girlfriend her child my foster child and her parent, whom I have supported for 4yrs!!!!!

Please help as I currently would love to get married to sort out this problem but have checked the website to find that I have to show that I have to have 40k a month coming in!!! have you checked out the wages for a English teacher in thailand...

Xenophobia is starting to be the word of the day for the thai government and immigration authorities... has power gone to their heads..even more

1. The days are counted for visa exempt entry only - 90 days in a six month period - has nothing to do with having or not having a tourist visa. If you had done 30 day entries and then a tourist visa with extension it would not have amounted to six months so you would likely only receive the days remaining until a new six month period started. It is all but impossible to plan using visa exempt entries.

2. You should be able to receive a tourist visa in Laos at this time - perhaps even a two entry.

3. You do not need a set income to get married. The 40k family income is for yearly extensions of stay. You can still stay on non immigrant visa entries of 90 days or extend your stay on the basis of employment when you start working as a teacher.

well, just got back from the embassy at KL, no problems whatsoever! got my visa, not even a " do not come back to KL" stamp

if anyones curious, my passport had loads of stamps in it, several cambodia stamps, 2 thai tv's, a few lao stamps.....you get the picture.

so , good news from KL! definately much better option than penang, especially if youve got a passport full of stamps.

I have four used Thai Visas and one used China visa in my passport, and just came back from Penang with a new visa, done by an agent. No problems. As the border is close to my home (55km), one can be tempted to just walk into Malaysia, and get back in with that 30day tourist stamp. I´d rather get an extension or travel to Penang for another Visa. No 30days entry stamps in my passport. May be that helps.

Does anybody really think that Thai Consulates and Embassies throughout the world are there for the sole purpose of enabling people to stay in their country indefinately?

As regarding consulates and Embassy visa sections yes, quite frankly. Do railway staff complain you use their trains too frequently and then bar you from travel?

Yes actually if you fail to meet the criteria ie, have the money to pay, or habitually abuse and damage the stock. Embassys and Visa sections were in place for more needy people and more genuine people. I underlined the key bits again for you.

Poor analogy btw, but if you seriously think they are there to keep bar owners, scammers and tax dodgers in business then its your right. I just don't agree with you!

How many times have we had bar or small business owners tell us, "this is Thailand mate, you don't pay tax here" "what you do is put the bar in the missus's name! clever int I mate, don't need a work permit, don't pay tax etc... blah blah brag boast check out the new tats etc" and as for everybody that has a friend in the police, government immigration etc, well, thats 100% of em.

i guess you're too busy moralizing to notice that the very bar owners you're complaining about can still put the bar in the missus' name... if they're married, last i'd heard, they can get a non-immigrant visa generally, can they not?

its good they changed how they enforce their rules though isn't it. now you no longer have a hard time figuring out who you can feel superior to--just ask to see their passport and look for the stamp. convenient.

Shoot the messenger no problem.

I don't make the visa rules, I only follow them as does everybody else here with a visa.

If you are tourists, you are tourists, if you are married, working, studying, retired etc. you can have visas. If I don't get a tourist visa for China or Russia (now they were difficult to get into), I don't go!

Am only looking on here because I have heard so much indignation around town recently about this. I'll stop now.

Good luck getting legit.

Lingyai What can I say. If you can't think of any or comprehend any situations, that is also up to you.

How do you know this to be the case? Sounds like a prediction for the future. How can one predict the future? If you have proof of this please share.

How do you know this to be the case? Sounds like a prediction for the future. How can one predict the future? If you have proof of this please share.

Read my previous posts. Up to you what you believe. :o

Your experience was good, however we've had a number of recent negative reports (people receiving the "don't come back" stamp).

I'll put KL on the "wait and see" list.

We need more good reports like yours.

I have four used Thai Visas and one used China visa in my passport, and just came back from Penang with a new visa, done by an agent. No problems. As the border is close to my home (55km), one can be tempted to just walk into Malaysia, and get back in with that 30day tourist stamp. I´d rather get an extension or travel to Penang for another Visa. No 30days entry stamps in my passport. May be that helps.

I find this very hard to believe. It goes against every report we've had from Penang in the last few months...and my own personal experience there.

Did you show funds? Who was your agent?

I find this very hard to believe. It goes against every report we've had from Penang in the last few months...and my own personal experience there.

No funds, no ticket out, nothing. As I said, I have the visa always done using an agent. This time the agent was that indian dude right next to Swiss Hotel on Chulia, last time it was a travel agency. But once o a year I fly back to Germany just to say hello to everybody and to buy me another triple entry visa.

Dupont, have a look at some of the offensive comments you've offered in this thread.

*and bus loads of hung over scruffy falangs bussing themselves in and out is not part of their vision*

*you cannot expect them to let a few thousand scum stay here*

*most TV visa runners do fit that description*

Judging by those comments it would seem you definitely feel superior to a lot of people.

It should be obvious to you that the majority of people reading these type of threads are people who do tourist visa runs. This one is called "Penang tourist visas", so who do you think would be reading this?

You should find some other threads to vent your anger. Your offensive contributions are not welcome here.

No funds, no ticket out, nothing. As I said, I have the visa always done using an agent. This time the agent was that indian dude right next to Swiss Hotel on Chulia, last time it was a travel agency. But once o a year I fly back to Germany just to say hello to everybody and to buy me another triple entry visa.

Are these all tourist visas?

Most of us use visa agents and still end up with warning stamps with 2 or more TV's in our passports. The agents even know this and advise us that we'll get the warning stamp.

It's interesting that once a year you fly back to Germany for triple tourist visa. Each one of those should get you 9 months with extensions. Going by that your TV's probably go back 4 years or so. Perhaps having home-country TV's makes all the difference.

Are these all tourist visas?

Yes, all these are tourist visas, and I tell you I do not do much here in Thailand!