Penang Tourist Visa

Just wanted a clarification whether you were of the mind that using TV's for that purpose was abuse, or whether you were lessening the impact of the word abuse by use of quotes in an attempt to defend the practice. Thank you for taking the time to respond and for clearing things up.

Not another one?

There's no point discussing abuse here.

There's no abuse when a system is allowed. When it's no longer allowed it can't be abused either.

Some people have sufficient funds to take extended or permanent vacations anywhere they please.

If a person can show sufficient funds and money being spent in Thailand (ATM withdrawals) a tourist visa may still be issued to any applicant irrespective of tourist visa history. It would seem that Penang now requires proof that a person is not working.

Absoloutely incorrect. You are way off what is happening now.

Tourist Visa,s willl not always be issued irrespective of tourist visa history.

But carry on with that belief.

It is not down to " proof " of working. It is down to definition of " tourist " ((flame removed))

Many European countries are implementing tougher schemes for entry and residence into said countries. Thailand is doing the same.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After a trip to Penang on the 14th of nov 2007, my friend got the stam " NO MORE VISA IN PENANG" he's been in Thailand for 6 month on a tourist visa and now no more.

So long Thailand the fun is over!!!

Mattias

The fun is far from over mate.

The writing, however, is on the wall for bar owners and arthur daley type companies selling other peoples wares and just raking off commission.

Good riddance. Anyone can get a work permit, O visa (little reason required in your home country) etc. and if they indeed have enough money to be retired here, they have enough money to be retired in Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, The Phillipines or Burma for the 6 months of the year they cannot get a visa for LOS.

I think the answer to most peoples problems is to go legit, Pay some tax, make some contribution to (Thai) society. don't think you can just hang out here and make a fast buck. Those days are gone here so move on.

Edited by Dupont

If a person can show sufficient funds and money being spent in Thailand (ATM withdrawals) a tourist visa may still be issued to any applicant irrespective of tourist visa history. It would seem that Penang now requires proof that a person is not working.

Absoloutely incorrect. You are way off what is happening now.

Tourist Visa,s willl not always be issued irrespective of tourist visa history.

But carry on with that belief.

It is not down to " proof " of working. It is down to definition of " tourist " But hey.......you are here a long time so what you say must be correct.

Wake up.

Many European countries are implementing tougher schemes for entry and residence into said countries. Thailand is doing the same.

I'm wide awake thank you.

You are incorrect and you are way off what is happening now.

I've just been to Penang, done some investigation and heard of actual cases to back up what I say.

What I'm saying here is specific to Penang. What other consulates will do is anyone's guess...or perhaps we should just ask you as you seem to be an expert on Thailand's immigration policy.

((remove personal attack))

All Consulates and Embassies have been instructed to limit the amount of TV,s issued.

Where did you get this info?

I work for the UN in Bangkok.

Immigration policy was discussed last week. Its not a secret hence why i can post.

what was actually said regarding the new policy?

All Consulates and Embassies have been instructed to limit the amount of TV,s issued.

Immigration policy was discussed last week. Its not a secret hence why i can post.

I missed the part where Manchester said he works for the UN. :o

Manchester, we've been well aware of restrictions on the issue of tourist visas for a long while already. Tell us something new....how about a transcript of the UN meeting where they were discussing tourist visas.

I missed the part where Manchester said he works for the UN. :o

Manchester, we've been well aware of restrictions on the issue of tourist visas for a long while already. Tell us something new....how about a transcript of the UN meeting where they were discussing tourist visas.

Yes i do work for the UN in a HR role as of the 1st November 2007. Grade P-5 ( actually supposed be a Field Role when i applied )

Provide minutes of meetings? A little bit silly that i think.

Its not new policy as you know.............but stricter interpretation of the existing rules and regulations.

Ministerial secretaries..........Thai Generals, Heads of State...........despots and dictators. :D Just a normal day here in Bangkok.

The point I was ORIGINALLY making was in answer to another question. For you to state that TV,s will always be issued regardless of TV history in a passport is just so wrong.

Edited by Manchester

wow I never knew they discussed thai tourist visa issuance policy at UN meetings. That's just amazing amazing

It was a general discussion in relation to ASEANS response to the Myanmar situation. Thai Immigration officials were present hence why the subject arose.

Its probably all a bit deep so please try not to worry.

Sorry to hear about all your friends getting burned for houses etc.

Vientane does not issue Multi O.

With the proper Documents you can get Multi O in Penang, KL and/or Singapore.

If you life in Phuket it is still possible to get a Tourist Visa from Khota Bharu which close to the eastern Border of Thailand and Malaysia.

Thanks.

Khota Bharu is a good alt for my friend.

Mattias

The point I was ORIGINALLY making was in answer to another question. For you to state that TV,s will always be issued regardless of TV history in a passport is just so wrong.

Manchester, if you had read my comment earlier more carefully this whole debate would have been unnecessary.

Here's that comment:

If a person can show sufficient funds and money being spent in Thailand (ATM withdrawals), a tourist visa may still be issued to any applicant irrespective of tourist visa history. It would seem that Penang now requires proof that a person is not working

Note the addition of qualifiers: "May" and "It would seem".

You've misquoted me as saying "always will" which is quite a twist from my original "may still".

"always will" indicates they will forever.

"may still" indicates that it's still a possibilty NOW....and it is.

Whenever I discuss anything to do with tourist visa issues I don't use definitive language because there is no certainty and that I say with certainty.

Manchester, if you had read my comment earlier more carefully this whole debate would have been unnecessary.

Here's that comment:

If a person can show sufficient funds and money being spent in Thailand (ATM withdrawals), a tourist visa may still be issued to any applicant irrespective of tourist visa history. It would seem that Penang now requires proof that a person is not working

Note the addition of qualifiers: "May" and "It would seem".

You've misquoted me as saying "always will" which is quite a twist from my original "may still".

"always will" indicates they will forever.

"may still" indicates that it's still a possibilty NOW....and it is.

Whenever I discuss anything to do with tourist visa issues I don't use definitive language because there is no certainty and that I say with certainty.

You are correct. Apologies.

Is it possible to keep a penang thread alive without OT discussion but only facts?

That will help alot people on the south part of Thailand in need of a visa run........

Sure, start by asking some questions or contributing some information if you have any.

Is it possible to keep a penang thread alive without OT discussion but only facts?

That will help alot people on the south part of Thailand in need of a visa run........

Sure, start by asking some questions or contributing some information if you have any.

Good, i only have TV from my country or 30 days no visa so i'm definitively in the group of people needing info.

Just hoping that some happy folks will came back from Penang withouts big stamps...

Good, i only have TV from my country or 30 days no visa so i'm definitively in the group of people needing info.

Just hoping that some happy folks will came back from Penang withouts big stamps...

I'm sure there are some people coming back from Penang without a stamp, but that's likely to be people with no tourist visa history in their passport. Having only one TV in your passport from your home country may work....but I get the feeling they are taking all TV's in a person's passport into consideration when they make their decision to stamp or not to stamp.

The Consul-General reads this forum and got upset when he read so many reports of people boasting about how many back-to-back TV's they had gotten from Penang. I read all of these reports myself and there were quite a few guys reporting they had gotten 3, 4 and even 5 back-to-back. This was about the time that the new guy took over there.

He's now turned against us and has taken to defiling our passports with red warning stamps.

You should be asking yourself the question: Is it worth going there when there is a good possibility you'll get that stamp?

All Consulates and Embassies have been instructed to limit the amount of TV,s issued. The only places where it would be considered easier to obtain are those issued in your HOME country.

Thailand IS closing the door on all foreigners who are "abusing " the TV system.

Why the quotes on "abusing"? Seems clear enough that tourist visas were never intended for permanent or semi-permanent stays in Thailand.

I just returned from Singapore where I was denied a new tourist visa. I already have three in my passport dating back to last year. I was eligible for one more 30 day stamp so now I need to find a new location to get a tourist visa. Was considering Penang but after reading all of these posts it doesn't seem like a good place to go. I live in Phuket.

All Consulates and Embassies have been instructed to limit the amount of TV,s issued. The only places where it would be considered easier to obtain are those issued in your HOME country.

Thailand IS closing the door on all foreigners who are "abusing " the TV system.

Why the quotes on "abusing"? Seems clear enough that tourist visas were never intended for permanent or semi-permanent stays in Thailand.

I just returned from Singapore where I was denied a new tourist visa. I already have three in my passport dating back to last year. I was eligible for one more 30 day stamp so now I need to find a new location to get a tourist visa. Was considering Penang but after reading all of these posts it doesn't seem like a good place to go. I live in Phuket.

More evidence that the Thai embassies and consulates are working in a coordinated manner.

Well yet another piece of worrying news regarding Tourist Visa's. As always i just wish Thailand would create a visa for those of us under the retirement age but with legitimate funds which they bring into Thailand and spend here...

I was going to be going to Penang next month for my new TV, but now ill be rethinking. Is Loas currently the recommended place?

Frustrating..

Well yet another piece of worrying news regarding Tourist Visa's. As always i just wish Thailand would create a visa for those of us under the retirement age but with legitimate funds which they bring into Thailand and spend here...

I was going to be going to Penang next month for my new TV, but now ill be rethinking. Is Loas currently the recommended place?

Frustrating..

There's that familiar refrain again. It doesn't matter how much you spend, what counts is your willingness to make firm ties to Thai society and then an O or B visa can be yours with relatively little effort. Thinking your spending power is enough is not going to get you anywhere.

Frustrating..

There's that familiar refrain again. It doesn't matter how much you spend, what counts is your willingness to make firm ties to Thai society and then an O or B visa can be yours with relatively little effort. Thinking your spending power is enough is not going to get you anywhere.

thank you for your kind, helpful and compassionate response to eek. you are an asset to this thread and forum

Frustrating..

thank you for your kind, helpful and compassionate response to eek. you are an asset to this thread and forum

I'd say you're welcome, but you aren't. Forums are places to exchange responsible viewpoints, not conduits for dullard's weak attempts at sarcasm. If you have something of substance to offer, step up.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing more than to see quality individuals from all nations making positive contributions to Thailand on a variety of levels. A visa based solely on some sort of means-testing would be one good alternative to the current "crisis". Buy a condo, put 10m baht in a government bank and forswear the interest and stay out of trouble with law, hey, I think this would be great. Think of it as a surety bond against misconduct.

But given that the current options are really cut and dried, people choosing to be the well-to-do baby that gets thrown out with the human-waves-of-farang-scum bath water... well, hard to have much sympathy.

Well, if anyone who would like to offer advice on where they suggest is the current best place to obtain a TV, without making presumptions about my personal life and/or lack of contributions to Thai Society, that would be great. Thank you.

Well, if anyone who would like to offer advice on where they suggest is the current best place to obtain a TV, without making presumptions about my personal life and/or lack of contributions to Thai Society, that would be great. Thank you.

My advice is this:

You will probably get a new TV in Penang.

If you have one or more tourist visas already in your passport there is a good chance you will get a red stamp in your passport in Penang.

Laos would seem the best choice at this stage.

Things can change overnight.

Frustrating..

To THE PROFESSOR.

Thaidlehands gave an honest reply. Whats YOUR problem?

He gave an honest reply based on assumptions. It didnt answer my question, nor offer anything enlightening regarding my personal situation(or others). The only thing I can see that the reply was given for, was to make some kind of dig at people who are here on multiple TV's. Came across as a bitter, blind-sighted, narrowed view-point, and did not offer a useful alternative (apart from suggesting an O or B visa..albeit vaguely). Digs, assumptions, and criticism, does not offer practical solutions or advice. I was rather touched that The Professor should make a retaliation regarding Thaidlehands reply. Personally I prefer just to ignore comments which seem to spout off unnecessary sermons, especially if the lecture/information given is not of use to me.

Regardless, instead of taking pot-shots, how about we get back on topic. :o

Frustrating..

I'd say you're welcome, but you aren't. Forums are places to exchange responsible viewpoints, not conduits for dullard's weak attempts at sarcasm. If you have something of substance to offer, step up.

apparently, you haven't seen very many internet forums then. tilt on, Don Quixote. he goes off at you, you go off at him, guess what? lecture away; you'rre not above it anymore; you've joined the game too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing more than to see quality individuals from all nations making positive contributions to Thailand on a variety of levels. A visa based solely on some sort of means-testing would be one good alternative to the current "crisis". Buy a condo, put 10m baht in a government bank and forswear the interest and stay out of trouble with law, hey, I think this would be great. Think of it as a surety bond against misconduct.

means-testing would be a great idea, having ten million locked up in a thai bank account might be a bit excessive, but at least it would shut the "i'm so wealthy but i'm too young to retire" crowd up.

But given that the current options are really cut and dried, people choosing to be the well-to-do baby that gets thrown out with the human-waves-of-farang-scum bath water... well, hard to have much sympathy.

regardless, hard to find much patience when looking for specifics on a topic and having to wade through half a dozen "their country, their rules" posts. no s**t. i still fantasize that the whole point of a thai visa forum is for exchanging information on what the rules are and how they're being enforced. such information, in my opinion, can only be presented clearly and lucidly *without* moralizing and whingeing. it's far less entertaining than the polarized back-and-forth between the "my human rights have been violated" crowd and the "their country their rules, scofflaws begone" crowd but at least there *might* be some useful information changing hands from time to time. just a thought.

now on to an actual question: the impression i'm getting on tourist visas is that the magic number is three? then you are in danger of the red stamp, is that indeed the case?

Hi eek,

I think your best bet is laos, theres a company called jacks golf in Bangkok if you phone them there be the ones to tell you what you can and can't do. There website is www. jackgolf .com , a thew freinds i know have done it and said theres no problems. Good luck.

Chris.

I'm sure there are some people coming back from Penang without a stamp, but that's likely to be people with no tourist visa history in their passport. Having only one TV in your passport from your home country may work....but I get the feeling they are taking all TV's in a person's passport into consideration when they make their decision to stamp or not to stamp.

The Consul-General reads this forum and got upset when he read so many reports of people boasting about how many back-to-back TV's they had gotten from Penang. I read all of these reports myself and there were quite a few guys reporting they had gotten 3, 4 and even 5 back-to-back. This was about the time that the new guy took over there.

He's now turned against us and has taken to defiling our passports with red warning stamps.

You should be asking yourself the question: Is it worth going there when there is a good possibility you'll get that stamp?

If they don' t take in consideration TV from home country in just 2 year max everybody will have a stamp....

It does not make any sense. A Europe Visa plus a Penang visa is not even a bak to back....