Ford Ranger 4wd

ClaudeFeller

Nothing wrong. A great vehicle. Thais don't want them, plain and simple. They only want Toyotas and Isuzu pickups. You're smart to buy it if you plan on keeping it. On resale you will also be held hostage.

"You're smart to buy..." what? An unknown vehicle in a country where "cut'n'shuts" happen constantly? You're smart to buy such a seemingly wonderful vehicle without even knowing how to conduct basic & preliminary checks for major problems?

There is nothing "smart" going on here. What there is in this case is "good luck" or mechanical knowledge. Which shall it be?

Nothing wrong. A great vehicle. Thais don't want them, plain and simple. They only want Toyotas and Isuzu pickups. You're smart to buy it if you plan on keeping it. On resale you will also be held hostage.

"You're smart to buy..." what? An unknown vehicle in a country where "cut'n'shuts" happen constantly? You're smart to buy such a seemingly wonderful vehicle without even knowing how to conduct basic & preliminary checks for major problems?

There is nothing "smart" going on here. What there is in this case is "good luck" or mechanical knowledge. Which shall it be?

My reference was that if the vehicle checks out, on the low mileage and characteristics as described, it would be a very good value for the money; only if he plans on keeping a number of years.

Thais are herd mentality and only see value in Toyota or Isuzu trucks. Ford has a good dealer and service network. It's a very good value if he plans on keeping the truck.

what's so difficult to understand about that concept?

My reference was that if the vehicle checks out, on the low mileage and characteristics as described, it would be a very good value for the money; only if he plans on keeping a number of years.

Thais are herd mentality and only see value in Toyota or Isuzu trucks. Ford has a good dealer and service network. It's a very good value if he plans on keeping the truck.

what's so difficult to understand about that concept?

The only thing that is difficult to understand is the "checks out" part. What does that mean? Otherwise, everything else is as you describe.

Well, "checks out" is quite easy to implement in practice. It means you take the vehicle to a reputable mechanic and have it "checked out." I mean what is so radical about that?

Haven't you always done that with buying a used vehicle or am I a heretic?

Well, "checks out" is quite easy to implement in practice. It means you take the vehicle to a reputable mechanic and have it "checked out." I mean what is so radical about that?

No, but sometimes you "Kee ma poot". :o

Guys,

Last week I saw a Mazda pick-up, 6 years, over 100.000 km for the same price.

Now I just wanna know why Ford is a lot cheaper. Answers here in TV are the same like the ones from the car dealer.

The car has a service book, I will let my wife translate for me.

What does the Ford guarantee til 100.000 km include?

Claude

Although not stated in your first reply 'keema' I think 'checks out' is a fairly common idiom.

Check out

4. The act or an instance of inspecting or testing, as for accuracy or quality; examination: the careful check of each unit before sale; gave the car an oil check.

5. A standard for inspecting or evaluating; a test.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/check%20out

I think your opinions on this phrase are not in the least heretic. Although with a name like 'keemapoot' you do display certain unorthodox traits.

Either way I think the Ranger is an excellent car and if it 'checks out' I would buy it!

CC.

I have a 7 year old Ford Ranger 4x4 double cab, been in the family from new with 160,000 on the clock. There have been very few problems over the years and it has always been reliable and never let us down.

We replace the battery every 3 years or so, there was a suspension leg problem replaced free under the 100,000 km warranty, the top of the radiator was leaking early this year and I replaced it for about 6,000 baht and I replace the Michelin tyres every 120,000 km or 5 years.

The reale value is not so good but the car runs on for ever.

If I get some money I will replace it with another Ford Ranger preferably the 3 litre top of the range model but if not the mai pen rai.

I don't get great fuel consumption as it is the old model before they improved the engine and put in the common rail like everything else has nowadays.

I have used the Toyota and also the Isuzu but they are not a car I would buy and I definitely dont like the looks of the Mitsubihsi Triton :o which more or less leaves the Mazda which is off the same line as the Ford anyway.

My advice is to get the car looked over at a different Ford dealers and if it is OK then buy it.

Cheers

Bill

Could not find anything Thai specific but this site (http://www.automotive.com/2006/12/ford/ranger/warranty/index.html) sums up the Ford Ranger Basic, Drive Train and Rust or Corrosion Warranty as:

Basic Warranty: The basic warranty covers everything except items that are subject to wear and tear or replacement in the ordinary course of vehicle ownership, such as oil and air filters, wiper blades and brake pads. Tires and batteries are often excluded, but usually have their own warranty provided by the manufacturers of those items. Emissions equipment is required by Federal law to be covered for five years or 50,000 miles.

Drive Train Warranty: In some cases the drive train warranty continues after the basic warranty has expired. This part of the warranty covers most of the parts that make the vehicle move, including the engine, transmission, drive axles and driveshaft. Like the basic warranty, "consumable" parts such as hoses and belts are not covered. However, most of the internal parts of the engine, such as the pistons and bearings, which are also subject to wear and tear, are covered by the drive train warranty.

Rust or Corrosion Warranty: This warranty covers the vehicle's sheet metal, and protects you from rust and corrosion that are severe enough to cause a hole - surface rust is not covered. However, if you keep your car washed and waxed rust shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure someone can confirm whether this is the same as the 100,000km warranty in Thailand.

In answer to your question 'Why so cheap?' It could well be in need of some repairs as the price you've mentioned 350,000 baht with only 42,000km on the clock is surprisingly low, even after you take into account that Ford's are not that popular here.

Proceed with caution, but it must be worth a closer look.

Hope it all works out.

CC.

Edited by crewcut

One thing about 4WD is that you have to use that option every now and then to keep the fluid fresh/moving, otherwise it could dry up and it would wreak havoc if you did put it in 4WD. Given that vehicles here don't depreciate that quickly, and also that 4WD commands a MUCH higher price than 2WD, I'd be suspicious as to why it's so cheap. It could need major repairs to the front drive axle/differential or there could be something wrong with the gearbox. As was mentioned, have a good mechanic put the thing up on a lift and check for leaks/accident damage, etc.

Do you know the new selling price? That would go a long way to understanding the realistic used value.

To answer my own question...

My ballpark guess would be somewhere around 500 to 600k. So used price of 350k sounds about right for a vehicle with quite high depreciation.

One thing about 4WD is that you have to use that option every now and then to keep the fluid fresh/moving, otherwise it could dry up and it would wreak havoc if you did put it in 4WD. Given that vehicles here don't depreciate that quickly, and also that 4WD commands a MUCH higher price than 2WD, I'd be suspicious as to why it's so cheap....

Thats interesting, will keep in mind.

Here in Samui the roads are terrific, so axes and suspension can suffer a lot... as far as I understand the warranty is 3 years or 100.000 km, car is 2 years and 1 month so still 11 months to keep these major repairs done.

BTW it is 12 V Turbo Diesel, has ABS and Airbags.

Friends of mine bought a Toyota 4WD with same dealer. Pick-up is 4 years old and has amazing 21.000 km. After one week they had a nail in the tyre - dealer changed it because he gave 3 months warranty. Thats why I went there.

http://www.thaicar.com/en_boardquestion.asp

This link is helpful, price for Ford a similar, but they never give a mileage statement!

I don't understand what's so strange about my nickname - dog fart. Seems perfectly natural.

I don't understand what's so strange about my nickname - dog fart. Seems perfectly natural.

I think you should post your nickname in the Language Forum or ask a "real" Thai what it means. Either you are spelling it wrong or someone is playing a cruel joke on you.

Ski...(Ajarn) + a "real" Thai

No, but sometimes you "Kee ma poot". :D

I think you should post your nickname in the Language Forum or ask a "real" Thai what it means. Either you are spelling it wrong or someone is playing a cruel joke on you.

it's intentional. It was a joke by my Thai Step daughter. :o

Ford suffered because they used too much diesel. That was a deserved poor reputation. When Ford came out with the new common rail fuel system they eliminated the fuel guzzling but still suffer from the GIN NAM MUN mach mach reputation. They now are number two in efficiency with only Isuzu being better.

Still confused though... you said your nickname, keemapoot, meant dog fart. Surely it translates as crap dog speak? Dog fart on the other hand would be mah doht (phonetic spelling might not be correct).

Still confused though... you said your nickname, keemapoot, meant dog fart. Surely it translates as crap dog speak? Dog fart on the other hand would be mah doht (phonetic spelling might not be correct).

Since this is such a fascinating subject, here is the long version. We have a small dog. Sometimes she farts. Years ago, when our daughter was young, she used to play with the dog, and when this happened she innocently joked Khee ma phout. It always made all the adults crack up, so we started referring to this as dog fart and repeating for a laugh. Yes, you're right that dtoot would be more polite. It was a play on words, and now seems to have gotten me in trouble with the linguists on the forum. :D

* although, without the tones and spelling not in Thai, it could mean "crap comes to speak," or "horse crap speaks," and that's what makes it so fun.

Edited by keemapoot

Sb has offered me a

Ford Ranger 2,5 4WD - 2005 - 42.000 km

for only 350.000 THB... no accident, farang owner, warranty until 100.000 km

What can be wrong??

Thanks for advices!

Last week i was having a look in the "rot weekly" cars for sale mag, there is quite a few 2005 ford ranger 2.5 4WD's in the mid to high 200's range.......so if you shop around you may find one at an even more attractive price than 350K

Cheers

Sb has offered me a

Ford Ranger 2,5 4WD - 2005 - 42.000 km

for only 350.000 THB... no accident, farang owner, warranty until 100.000 km

What can be wrong??

Thanks for advices!

Last week i was having a look in the "rot weekly" cars for sale mag, there is quite a few 2005 ford ranger 2.5 4WD's in the mid to high 200's range.......so if you shop around you may find one at an even more attractive price than 350K

Cheers

What is a "rot weekly"?

Tank you, Claude

* although, without the tones and spelling not in Thai, it could mean "crap comes to speak," or "horse crap speaks," and that's what makes it so fun.

:o That's what I thought it meant - "Talking horse-sh1t" :D

Yes, you're right. I think the general meaning is either talking horse-sh!t; or talking dog sh!t and either way isn't that what all these online forums are about anyway?

I know in my case it is.