Bristish Style Indian And Chinese Restaurants In Pattaya

paul1970

Can anyone recommend good Brit style Chinese or Indian resteraunts here in Pattaya.

I tried the supposedly Brit style chinese in Soi Buakhow some time ago, forgotten the name but unfortunately not the grub. Totally disgusting, even my Thai gf who had been back in the UK a few times and loved the chinese takeaways back home couldn't stomach it and she's off the insect eating persuasion.

As for Indians I have tried a few but been dissapointed many times, now I tend to stick to Alibaba and the Indian near Subways on beach road, can't remember the name. Alibaba is good at times but is very inconsistent in the quality and spicyness of the food, had a Chicken tikka marsala this week that was about as spicy as a vindaloo would be back home, as for the one on beach road I find the consistency of the food better but in my opinion about average at best.

Anyone tried the Taj on 3rd road ? it looks OK when I've driven past but haven't got round to trying it yet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recommend good Brit style Chinese or Indian resteraunts here in Pattaya.

I tried the supposedly Brit style chinese in Soi Buakhow some time ago, forgotten the name but unfortunately not the grub. Totally disgusting, even my Thai gf who had been back in the UK a few times and loved the chinese takeaways back home couldn't stomach it and she's off the insect eating persuasion.

As for Indians I have tried a few but been dissapointed many times, now I tend to stick to Alibaba and the Indian near Subways on beach road, can't remember the name. Alibaba is good at times but is very inconsistent in the quality and spicyness of the food, had a Chicken tikka marsala this week that was about as spicy as a vindaloo would be back home, as for the one on beach road I find the consistency of the food better but in my opinion about average at best.

Anyone tried the Taj on 3rd road ? it looks OK when I've driven past but haven't got round to trying it yet.

Yes I have, and it was awful. Nothing like any British Indian restauarants I have ever tried, and very expensive.

Haven't found any good Indians or Chinese I am afraid, most Thai restauarants will do a passable sweet and sour, or chicken and cashew nuts.

With so many Indians here I don't see why there are no good Indian restauarants, I guess they are all too busy saying 'hello mate, chep suit' in a comedy cokney accent, whilst trying to manhandle you every time you go into town.

The 'arab quarter' might be a good bet, south end of walking street up to 2nd road, and all the way along to Pratumnak.

Yes I have, and it was awful. Nothing like any British Indian restauarants I have ever tried, and very expensive.

Haven't found any good Indians or Chinese I am afraid, most Thai restauarants will do a passable sweet and sour, or chicken and cashew nuts.

With so many Indians here I don't see why there are no good Indian restauarants, I guess they are all too busy saying 'hello mate, chep suit' in a comedy cokney accent, whilst trying to manhandle you every time you go into town.

The 'arab quarter' might be a good bet, south end of walking street up to 2nd road, and all the way along to Pratumnak.

"Ahaar" top-end of Soi Postoffice for head-wobbly nosh?

My experience of Indian grub in 'little Arabia' hasn't been good so far... they cater for too many palettes in rather bland dishes.

I doubt that Brit-style Chinkie has been done in Pattaya yet. Heck, even Simon's British Fish & Chips isn't!!!

The new Indian place right across the street from the under construction mega mall on 2nd Road is excellent! Really really good and excellent prices. It is all SOUTH INDIAN food though, not British style Indian. Please do not support rip off prices like Indian by Nature, when we now have Indian THE REAL THING in Pattaya. Also, they are very friendly Muslim people there, spread the love, eat the food.

Edited by Jingthing

I found this on another forum. It's a bit out of town but reportedly is very UK-Indian.

"The Captains Restaurant / Nyhavn at Hat Sai Torng or Golden Beach as it is known by the few farangs that go there. The husband is from Pakistan and expects his Indian food to taste d*mn good. His wife is a Thai muslim, you want Indian food from a restaurant that tastes like UK stuff then you got to travel a bit out of Pattaya and hit Hat Sai Torng."

"Hat Sai Torng is about 15kms from Pattaya heading towards Sattahip, before you get to The Ambassador Hotel you will see signs for the Pinnacle hotel, turn right & follow the road down, and about 100meters before the beach there are some shophouses on the right, it has 2 names for some reason, The Captains Restaurant, and Nyhaven, does Thai food, international food, and most importantly, Indian food, also if you go down to the beach there are a couple of nice bars and restaurants actually on the beach."

I will have to check it out myself!

The new Indian place right across the street from the under construction mega mall on 2nd Road is excellent! Really really good and excellent prices. It is all SOUTH INDIAN food though, not British style Indian. Please do not support rip off prices like Indian by Nature, when we now have Indian THE REAL THING in Pattaya. Also, they are very friendly Muslim people there, spread the love, eat the food.

Hey Jing! This place got a name then?

BTW, if you are ever in Vung Tau, there's a place called Alibaba's that is very, very good. Just next to the Palace Hotel, wedged in between the girly bars. Also has Jamesons whiskey at a buck a shot.

Edited by NanLaew

Afraid I don't remember and I am in Chiang Mai now.

Just take the baht bus north from Pattaya Tai, past the Avenue Mall on the right, keep going until you see the big construction site for the new mall next the the new View Talay on the left, the Indian place will be on the right. The new fancy Iranian place nearby is also very good (called Paradis). Pattaya is really becoming a great ethnic restaurant town. Eat your heart out Bangkok.

BTW, this new place sports a very sophisticated South Indian menu. Unless you are an expert on this cuisine, you are like to find some new dishes there. There is really more to life than chicken tikka masala and lamb rogan josh.

Edited by Jingthing

Just take the baht bus north from Pattaya Tai...

Stunned and amazed that you actually said that. Maybe all that clear mountain air in CNX has you momentarily distracted?

When I get back from Vung Tau, I will check out the Indian place though.

Edited by NanLaew

He asked for british style :o

Why go Chinese or Indian in Thailand?

So despite a mutual love of Thai cuisine, you deny sometimes getting a hankering for some 'home cooking'? Unless of course your home has one of those tasteless, bland cuisines.

Brit Indian is 90% Bangladesh anyway, go to India and try the real thing, also Shanghai has some great Chinese nosh

The OP was asking for 'British style Indian & Chinese', neither of which would be too common in India or China methinks.

Jingthing and I momentarily hijacked the thread. As you were!

I'm not sure what "British" style entails, but Chow Soy on Soi Buakhao claims to be "European" style Chinese food. The food there is pretty good, but nothing like the Chinese food one can get in San Francisco.

Now if I can find a SF style Chinese noodle place... :o

You are right, Chow Soi is nothing compared to Chinese food in San Francisco, but it is better that Thai-ized Chinese cuisine.

Dont bother or be mislead with the english style ( bradford ) ! type curry advertised at neeroys,. horrible ,and they forgot to make 2 of the 4 meals ordered !,.cant compare the 2 on price obviously but indian by nature is very good but them spicy poppadoms with bird seed on are awful !

Dont bother or be mislead with the english style ( bradford ) ! type curry advertised at neeroys,. horrible ,and they forgot to make 2 of the 4 meals ordered !,.cant compare the 2 on price obviously but indian by nature is very good but them spicy poppadoms with bird seed on are awful !

I tried the above (Neeroys) about a week ago - it's a bloody disgrace to even classify it as food! :o

Edited by CGW

OK, not Pattaya but, if you happen to be in BKK ...

Right outside the Nana BTS station - not sure on exit number but opposite side to the Landmark - is an Indian restaurant called Bukhara's. Have been there a few times and never been disapppointed. Pretty much UK style and a lot better than anything that I've found in Pattaya. Not expensive either and serves alcohol, which a lot of the N Indian and Pakistani places do not.

In the same area - Sukhumvit Soi 3 - there are a number of Arab style restaurants that serve good food - even curries. Al Hussein is especially good but does not serve alcohol.

Enjoy :o

DM

I tried the above (Neeroys) about a week ago - it's a bloody disgrace to even classify it as food! :o

And i was in 2 weeks ago and it was deliciuos, so OP take what you will from this thread. It can sometimes be very difficult to get an accurate answer on these forums, especially when trying to find something you like.

Have you tried Crazy Dave's curries? I have heard they are to die for/ revolting??

one more time for the hard of hearing

The only indian is Indian by nature in Jomtien, all the rest are crap in this town.

The only chinese you will find, like you get in the uk, is the one you have already tried.

The rest are Thai chinese not nice at all.

BTW if pay 150 baht for a good british style curry, expect it to be hit and miss

Madras Darbar.........(went past it last night on the bike)

As for Neeroys and Chow Soy ...............Neeroys was good when it first opened a few years ago then went downhill with the curry mostly consisting of sauce.........Chow Soy was just never good in either of its locations (it used to be on the corner of Chaiyapoon/Bourkhao where the go-go is now) :o

Tried the curry stall in the food hall at Tops last night..........had the beef curry,plenty in it.........meat was ok,hit 1 piece of chewy (gristle) meat , but there again it was only 60 baht and 10/30 baht for boiled/pilau rice

Right outside the Nana BTS station - not sure on exit number but opposite side to the Landmark - is an Indian restaurant called Bukhara's. Have been there a few times and never been disapppointed. Pretty much UK style and a lot better than anything that I've found in Pattaya. Not expensive either and serves alcohol, which a lot of the N Indian and Pakistani places do not.

In the same area - Sukhumvit Soi 3 - there are a number of Arab style restaurants that serve good food - even curries. Al Hussein is especially good but does not serve alcohol.

DM

Bukhara certainly gets my vote - I have eaten there many times over the years - great naan bread and the pickle tray, chunky sized pickled onions and great mango pickle.

Unfortunately one day while I was sat eating at the window table a young English teacher ran into the road outside, It took the ambulance 20 minutes to arrive. He died just as they pulled up. I went to the restaurant once more but just couldn't face it.

Anyways back to the topic.

There are farangs from many nations here in Pattaya - Yanks hanker for mom's apple pie but also for the "junk food" they eat when out on the town. Ribs, tacos whatever

For the Brits although they are always spouting off about their "ethnic bretheren" they come here and feel lost without the "junk food" they get back home. Hence the hankering for fish & chips, chinky's and a ring burning curry after 10 pints of larger and a fight outside the local.

I think there is a good and constant market for places that satisfy these "primeval urges" If there was just one restaurant that could serve up an authentic chinky, a ringburner and preferebly an outside patio where the diners could go and hit each other over the head with beer bottles - then they would be on to a winner and so would we. Keep all the yobs in one place so we can enjoy Pattaya in peace

DM

Bukhara certainly gets my vote - I have eaten there many times over the years - great naan bread and the pickle tray, chunky sized pickled onions and great mango pickle.

Unfortunately one day while I was sat eating at the window table a young English teacher ran into the road outside, It took the ambulance 20 minutes to arrive. He died just as they pulled up. I went to the restaurant once more but just couldn't face it.

Anyways back to the topic.

There are farangs from many nations here in Pattaya - Yanks hanker for mom's apple pie but also for the "junk food" they eat when out on the town. Ribs, tacos whatever

For the Brits although they are always spouting off about their "ethnic bretheren" they come here and feel lost without the "junk food" they get back home. Hence the hankering for fish & chips, chinky's and a ring burning curry after 10 pints of larger and a fight outside the local.

I think there is a good and constant market for places that satisfy these "primeval urges" If there was just one restaurant that could serve up an authentic chinky, a ringburner and preferebly an outside patio where the diners could go and hit each other over the head with beer bottles - then they would be on to a winner and so would we. Keep all the yobs in one place so we can enjoy Pattaya in peace

Funny, but some truth in it, i dont rate english food now and if i see a restuarant bragging "food like your mum made " i give it a wide berth !,. and i had to laugh at the 10 pints and a curry then a fight, seems like the end to a wonderful ( lonely ) night in a uk town,in the los though some (un) lucky girl will have ended up with one these types and the chance of a quiet evening in the curry house may be on the cards,. ,i dont envy them ( the girls ) :D Edited by mikethevigoman

in contrast to others opinions here, i have been to Raj opposite Excite on a nuber of occasions, its always been good and approved of by a number of different guests. they are very obliging and will cook requests for items not on menu. its a bit pricy, agreed but not so much that you leave feeling ripped off. by contrast dining at Alibaba bought me a number of servings of hospital food at bangkok pattaya and a bill for 2 days accomodation!

The best indian food in Pattaya is in Tescos. Frozen microwave meals with rice included and some half decent garlic nans as well. reliable brit tasting indian straight from your freezer !

As for the non frozen variety, then they are all crap. I have tried everyone I have ever found and none could hold a candle to the local tandoori back home. There is a massive market there if someone gets it right.

A lot of the stuff is actually inedible, some like IBN is over complicated and too rich. Your Alibaba lot could be cooking up the rats that infest the place. Aacha or whatever on Soi Post Office can do edible stuff then some dish will come just "wierd". No-one can do a papudum out here.

Quite honestly, I see no reason why we don't have world class british curry houses all over town. Maybe a new business idea for me there ?

I've tried most of them and find the one about 50 metres beyond Simon's Fish & Chips on the right coming past the Hanuman statue to be the best tasting and best value. Raj opposite excite seems to have a bit of a Thai twist to the flavours, which I find to be OK put a bit pricey not bad though. Indian by Nature is over rated in my opinion. I am desperate to find a decent Chinky though!! I'm sure it would be a gold mine if someone opened one and did a good job of it.