Liver Tests: Sgpt/sgot Alt, Ast

luumak

I need to make another trip to the hospital for some liver tests related to my blood pressure. I have found that these tests are also a great indication of alcohol abuse as well. Can anyone tell me how the following may 'give false' reading to liver tests:

Enalapril (for blood pressure), Tobacco (occassion), Alcohol (too much), Paracetamol (somewhat regularly), Amoxicillin (now have sore throat), Thiamphenicol (3 wks ago, dont want to explain) and Viagara (self explanatory).

How quickly does these mediactions go through the body and liver?

Can/Should I get a white blood cell count check for the heck of it? I am pretty healthy guy. Just curious.

Thank you doctors!

> w/ the Enalapril I know it may do 'something' as the doctor wanted to run tests every six months, but what? Higher elevations?

I have searched the web and not really found much related to

I need to make another trip to the hospital for some liver tests related to my blood pressure. I have found that these tests are also a great indication of alcohol abuse as well. Can anyone tell me how the following may 'give false' reading to liver tests:

Enalapril (for blood pressure), Tobacco (occassion), Alcohol (too much), Paracetamol (somewhat regularly), Amoxicillin (now have sore throat), Thiamphenicol (3 wks ago, dont want to explain) and Viagara (self explanatory).

How quickly does these mediactions go through the body and liver?

Each of them have different half lives and metabolic rates. Look up the drug on a site like www.drugs.com and scroll down to the end of the page and you will find links to "advanced" effects; this gets you information on the pharmacological actions and metabolism of a particular drug.

Can/Should I get a white blood cell count check for the heck of it? I am pretty healthy guy. Just curious.

Get a blood count to ensure no residual effect from the Thiamphenicol.

Thank you doctors!

> w/ the Enalapril I know it may do 'something' as the doctor wanted to run tests every six months, but what? Higher elevations?

I have searched the web and not really found much related to

With a combination of all of the above, a raise in some liver enzymes can be expected!!

ALT/AST are indicators of liver cell damage and congestion but may also rise with other conditions causing inflammatory reactions in the body.

GGT is more specific to alcohol

Combination of paracetamol, amoxicillin and alcohol can definitely cause a rise in enzymes but this should be temporary depending on dosages, frequency and also duration of exposure to these substances.

Thiamphenicol can cause a form of jaundice in susceptable people but this is rare; more effect on bone marrow with prolonged use. (It is an antibiotic which is rarely used these days...)

Bottom line is: Liver enzymes are not very specific and results should be read with the clinical background information.

GGT is usually not included in Thailand in a general liver function screen tests and should be specified.

May be easier to evaluate the results rather than to try and predict from this point...

Hi thanks for your detailed reply. yeah the Thiamphenicol was a one-off from the chemist. I thought twice but took it on her advice. never again, will go for generic zithromax if need be. the amoxicillin is also one off, I got a nasty sore throat when this bar girl insisted kissing on me (cold has been going round, I had avoided this for the month it has been circulating). Paracetomol I have been taking for hangovers but had heard it raises the test levels.

Have not been drinking for 5 days, good time for a test, hence the question. Unfortunately it was the sore throat that got me to stop drinking (antibiotics) - so was wondering how they might impact the test.

Thanks

Hi Luumak,

If you wait till you are feeling totally over the sore throat & meds along with stop drinking this should almost certainly affect your ast-alt numbers. I would give it a little time as sometimes the liver takes time to revive itself after a bout of raised levels.

The antibiotics may cause higher readings. if you take more than 4,000 mgs of paremecemol 2,000 if your levels have been abnormal that could cause a spike- but the booze For Sure will make the levels go up as the liver will have to work harder to filter the toxins out.

I test about every 4 months myself from elevated levels. I have also found if it is a chronic condition Chinese herbs work great to get & keep the levels down.Milkthistle (Silymarin) works wonders along with drinking less or giving up the vise. even if not it's great insurance to keep your levels down. They carry at most Farmacia medical supply -pharmacy shops if there is one in your area.Or in America from wonder laboratories online which is stronger & much cheaper.

Your Blood Pressure can be affected by many things, I was surprised to find out after passing 2 kidney stones (age 52) it affected my bp as well as retirement & lack of rigorous exercise(I was used to 20 miles a day mountain biking in Hawaii uphill & working out) after laying dormant enjoying the good life My BP went up. Started working on a couple acres farming(busting my butt) my blood pressure is now optimal. If it is high get a machine to check it daily.And if you have any last records of your ast alt levels previously that would be helpful. We can help you somewhat determine your results if the hospital or clinic isn't helpful in that dept.

Sheryl our new med moderator has a vast knowledge in most all fields of medicine if you need in depth info! She has been a Godsend to the heath posts for a while now!

I noticed you posted your coming to Thailand from the U.S. on the visa posts.If you are on any pain medications,it would be in your best interest to ask in this forum what you cannot get.

Cheers Beardog

Edited by Beardog

I was surprised to find out I had high levels because of taking supplements like vitamine B and C.

Does it do damage to the liver?

I know Hepatitis b or c would most certainly affect your liver, but vitamins I always thought your body would absorb the level it needed & pass the rest off as waste.

Hopefuly you get some more replies on this one.

Good luck

Beardog

I was surprised to find out I had high levels because of taking supplements like vitamine B and C.

Does it do damage to the liver?

Never came across this.. Perhaps someone else out there has some more info...

I would be surprised if the cause for a raise in any of the liver enzymes would be due to Vitamin B and C. These vitamins fall in the "water soluble" group and any excess taken in is merely excreted through the urine.

Vitamins A,D,E & K fall in the "fat soluble" group and has the potential of liver toxicity.

As mentioned before, Liver enzymes are not specific and may raise in many conditions.

Would just advise to have a re-check to make sure levels return to normal. If not, then special investigations are indicated if the levels are significantly elevated.