New York Style Pizza

percy2

I love the place Tony, but agree, pizza needs a tad more sauce as well

Adding more Sauce, not a problem ( if your ordering a whole Pizza ). Just tell the staff, happy top oblige.

We put 2 massive scoops of sauce ( they are almost the size of those Noodle vendors scoops ). There is a chance that putting too much might cause the dough to become a little soggy due to more moisture (not sure as I have not tried it yet) so i would not recommend it until tried and tested first.

I agree it was a little soggy due to more sauce, but I really like the tomato taste so I can live with that.

However, if I may suggest, maybe it would be less soggy if you thickened the sauce... either remove water somehow (by boiling/evaporation?) or put less water (if any) when you're making it? Just a thought.

You've got great pizza overall! :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

I had my 2nd pizza from there last week and I simply don't get the attraction. The cheese was simply awful. Also, we ordered over the phone without a menu, which was clearly a mistake.

We asked for a 1/2 pepperoni and 1/2 cheese pizza. Clearly, it needed elaboration and for me to check on the premises as well, as when we got home, we found they apparently took the cheese pizza portion of the order to be cheese only, with no sauce. You really are a New Yorker and this happens?

Dr. B

I order myself a pizza from the delivery service yesterday after a long haul flight back home. I'm not originally from The City, but from a small suburb right over the border from NY (in Connecticut). My extended family lives in a few of the 5 boroughs and thereby I think that I know true New York pizza pretty well from my frequent visits. NYSP has done it right, in my opinion. I honestly thought it couldn't be done in BKK. I was so excited when I heard about Ronnie's (another NY style pizza joint in the Nana area) and promptly ordered from them. When the pizza arrived, the smell was perfect. It smelled like a pizza place on Arthur Avenue delivered the pie. However that's as far as it went. The dough was "mealy" (for lack of a better word) and that just killed it. The sauce was alright, but not enough salt and no bite to it. Overall a disappointment. So I went back to eating Italian style (thin crust) pizza from other excellent pizzerias in Bangkok.

When I saw this posting, I found the website and placed an order. The pizza was delivered within 20 mins (almost as fast as the lightening delivery of pizzamania.com. I swear, you hangup the phone and the doorbell rings with your order!) and not only was the smell right on...but the pie was perfect. Sauce was amazing...definitely fresh and had all the right characteristics. The dough! Oh dam_n...the dough was perfect! Their site says "Special authentic New York dough recipes" and I must say it's right on. The crust was almost perfect....big and chewy....though missing the trademark "yeast bubbles" (although that is actually a sign off poor dough mixing...so they've done something right). All I can say is, Bangkok finally has a true NY Pizza joint! So definitely go pick up (or order for delivery in the Thonglor / Ekamai / Phrom Phong area) a pie. Check out their menu before you get there (www.nysp.biz). Word.

Thanks for the excellent feedback (and other :D ) , and general terms we have had very positive feed back. I would say a large majority of people who have walked in, have returned back with friends / family, or we have had responses similar to "Strongview" . A large amount of our business has been referrals and repeat business (we need to market a bit more to get our name out there, so far we have not done much in that sense - Stay tuned, we will be in the Nation (interview) and BK magazine soon ). . We are now looking for more locations down Suk. ( any one know of one with good road side / expat visibility, pls IM me).

To answer a few things. We have put more toppings on our pizza, bearing in mind that we dont want to end up with a Chicago style pizza.

The amount sauce and more importantly how its applied has proven to be a complex problem with regards to soggy-ness of the center of the pizza, especially when compounded with pizza's which have more veg ( and thus more water content). Thick pizza's are more fail safe, thin crust pizza's are very exacting. ( little mistakes in dough can be seen very quickly)

We have a solution and the crust near the center is nice and crispy now, and the crust is about 3mm thick from center to edge. Again, if u want more than the 2 ladels of sauce, tell us when ordering, happy to add more, and i ma less worried about soggy-ness now.

Regards NYSP

Pattaya needs pizza too ! :D

Don't forget Chiang Mai :o

post-35854-1200724030_thumb.jpg :D

Neopolitan Pizza originated in a Brooklyn ,NY pizzeria , when the cooks made a wheel out of leftover bread dough....the taste of New York Pizza is its own authenicity.....Yes the ingredients came from Italy or were they by the way of China like paqsta !

:o If the pic shows up in this post, there's a pic opf what a NY Pizza looks like, but the taste of the crust makes the whole difference in a NYC or Italian pies !!!

IMHO Italian Pizzas are more Authentic......... :D

• 2 weeks later...
pizza is one of the most unhealthy kinds of food known to man, the bread/cheese combination is naughty. i would strongly recommend thai food as a healthier option

Thanks Matt

The cheese was simply awful.

I agree 100% The cheese is stodgy and mushy also there is not enough of it. I like pizzas where there is plenty of cheese and it goes "stringy" with more elasticity when you pull a slice off.

It's a real shame because they have some lovely topping combos and the value for money and size are great. Sort out the cheese!!!!!!!!!!!

Please open in Pattaya, soon, fast, now, immediately, right away, straight away, at once, without delay, instantly, directly, instantaneously, without more ado, right now.

I think that covers it.

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please open a shop in Pattaya!

There are absolutely no quality pizza shops here and I am sure you will do fine.

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please open a shop in Pattaya!

Our cheese is less stringy/chewy, but has a better taste, which both myself and my partner ( the New Yorker guy ) both homed in on it. For the slices in the shop, the cheese is more stringy after we heat the slices when they are ordered (strange but true - must be some chemical reason)

When we can find a cheese which covers both dimensions, will definately consider it.

As for the cheese, although there is some slight variation because they are hand made, there is approximately 400 + grams of cheeze per 18" pizza. Thats alot of cheese !! From what I have seen in BKK, there are not many pizza's with more.

I find it a bit disconcerting that you seem unfamiliar with your own product to the extent that you cannot mention the variety (ies) of cheese, and the source, you use. You also seem quite unable to accept negative comments; you slough them off and trivialize the comments/commenter. Not good signs in my experience.

400 + grams of cheese seems like too much? That's nearly a pound (14+ oz.).

I order myself a pizza from the delivery service yesterday after a long haul flight back home. I'm not originally from The City, but from a small suburb right over the border from NY (in Connecticut). My extended family lives in a few of the 5 boroughs and thereby I think that I know true New York pizza pretty well from my frequent visits. NYSP has done it right, in my opinion. I honestly thought it couldn't be done in BKK. I was so excited when I heard about Ronnie's (another NY style pizza joint in the Nana area) and promptly ordered from them. When the pizza arrived, the smell was perfect. It smelled like a pizza place on Arthur Avenue delivered the pie. However that's as far as it went. The dough was "mealy" (for lack of a better word) and that just killed it. The sauce was alright, but not enough salt and no bite to it. Overall a disappointment. So I went back to eating Italian style (thin crust) pizza from other excellent pizzerias in Bangkok.

When I saw this posting, I found the website and placed an order. The pizza was delivered within 20 mins (almost as fast as the lightening delivery of pizzamania.com. I swear, you hangup the phone and the doorbell rings with your order!) and not only was the smell right on...but the pie was perfect. Sauce was amazing...definitely fresh and had all the right characteristics. The dough! Oh dam_n...the dough was perfect! Their site says "Special authentic New York dough recipes" and I must say it's right on. The crust was almost perfect....big and chewy....though missing the trademark "yeast bubbles" (although that is actually a sign off poor dough mixing...so they've done something right). All I can say is, Bangkok finally has a true NY Pizza joint! So definitely go pick up (or order for delivery in the Thonglor / Ekamai / Phrom Phong area) a pie. Check out their menu before you get there (www.nysp.biz). Word.

Thanks for the excellent feedback (and other :D ) , and general terms we have had very positive feed back. I would say a large majority of people who have walked in, have returned back with friends / family, or we have had responses similar to "Strongview" . A large amount of our business has been referrals and repeat business (we need to market a bit more to get our name out there, so far we have not done much in that sense - Stay tuned, we will be in the Nation (interview) and BK magazine soon ). . We are now looking for more locations down Suk. ( any one know of one with good road side / expat visibility, pls IM me).

To answer a few things. We have put more toppings on our pizza, bearing in mind that we dont want to end up with a Chicago style pizza.

The amount sauce and more importantly how its applied has proven to be a complex problem with regards to soggy-ness of the center of the pizza, especially when compounded with pizza's which have more veg ( and thus more water content). Thick pizza's are more fail safe, thin crust pizza's are very exacting. ( little mistakes in dough can be seen very quickly)

We have a solution and the crust near the center is nice and crispy now, and the crust is about 3mm thick from center to edge. Again, if u want more than the 2 ladels of sauce, tell us when ordering, happy to add more, and i ma less worried about soggy-ness now.

Regards NYSP

Pattaya needs pizza too ! :D

Don't forget Chiang Mai :o

I'll second that.. :D

post-31110-1201963722_thumb.jpg

400 grams of cheese? Don't make me laugh :o

The 16" Four Cheese pizza I ordered last night had barely cheese on it. More like a bad cheese sauce!

Dough is nice though, but rather (also) have a great topping for that kind of money

I emailed the shop and waiting for a response...

Our cheese is less stringy/chewy, but has a better taste, which both myself and my partner ( the New Yorker guy ) both homed in on it. For the slices in the shop, the cheese is more stringy after we heat the slices when they are ordered (strange but true - must be some chemical reason)

When we can find a cheese which covers both dimensions, will definately consider it.

As for the cheese, although there is some slight variation because they are hand made, there is approximately 400 + grams of cheeze per 18" pizza. Thats alot of cheese !! From what I have seen in BKK, there are not many pizza's with more.

I find it a bit disconcerting that you seem unfamiliar with your own product to the extent that you cannot mention the variety (ies) of cheese, and the source, you use. You also seem quite unable to accept negative comments; you slough them off and trivialize the comments/commenter. Not good signs in my experience.

400 + grams of cheese seems like too much? That's nearly a pound (14+ oz.).

• 7 months later...

I was driving by the Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit about a week ago and I remember a little hole-in-the-wall shop with a sign stating, "New York Pizza" or "New York Style Pizza." I remembered it this afternoon; read the comments on it via the webboard; and found their website to place an order (nysp.biz). I looked at the menu online and just ordered the simple large pepperoni pizza, home delivery service. The woman who answered the phone was very polite and I just received the pizza about 10 minutes ago. Given the pizza took an hour to get to me, but I live in an area with a lot of traffic so I can't complain too much. As to everyone's comments about the crust and tomato sauce... the crust is quite delightful. It is on the softer side so that you are not chewing on carbon-flavored, burned crust. I could agree a little on the sauce, however, because the regular pizza could use some more moisture to it via the tomato sauce. So I would probably recommend going for some extra tomato sauce. Regardless of that, the pizza is still one of the most satisfying pizzas I have had anywhere in Thailand. Other places have mystery ingredients or ultra-processed toppings; however, this is one regular 'ol pizza that tastes pretty damned delightful. I give it a B+ on quality and an A- on service. That is pretty good considering how critical I usually am. As for the prices they charge... it is about 100 baht, or 3 US dollars, more expensive that regular Pizza-Hut and Pizza Company... but it is actually worth it. The pizzas are big.

If you are going to try it for yourself, here is their info. Thonglor location is next to Soi Thonglor 8 and their number is 02-715-0234. Nana location is right across the street from the Landmark Hotel between Sukhumvit 3 & 5 and their number is 02-655-6000. Beware of the number always being busy at lunch time.. just keep calling and it will free up.

Logan

I used to be a NY Pizza supporter, and even gave them decent reviews on this forum.

However, I stopped going a while ago and also found out that a lot of the people I know have stopped going for the exact same reason.

They have an extremely rude guy (manager?) at their Nana branch. He's the guy older than everyone else (bald) maybe in his 40s or early 50s, and seems to be 'in charge'.

He first shortchanges (possibly an honest mistake), and then after you point out the correct price on the menu or store sign, he "loses face" and gets very grumpy (as if to scold the customer?) even if the customer was the one who was correct. :D

I guess an older guy "losing face" to a younger "correct" guy is just too much for an middle aged chap to bear. :D

I later found out that a lot of my friends who I recommended to this place also stopped going for the same reason... or rather for the same person. :o

Their Nana branch doesn't seem to have too many customers, maybe it would be better if they fired the middle-aged dude.

Note: They also have a lady who seems like the manager at other times; and she is really nice. But I choose not to go out of my way to go there (like I used to do) since you never know who's on shift. :D

Edited by junkofdavid2

• 4 weeks later...

I have ordered from their Thong Lo branch 3 times and each experience is worse than the last. This time though the pizza sucked. Not cooked through and the cheese isn't very good. I tried to cook it a bit more and the crust didn't improve. I just returned from NYC and Philly and this version is not anywhere near as good. Avoid!

Check out their menu before you get there (www.nysp.biz). Word.

The domain nysp.biz has expired. If you owned this domain, please contact your domain registration service provider for further assistance. If you need help identifying your service provider........!