New York Style Pizza

percy2

the owner is a New Yorker who has 26-27 pizza places there, also has 4 in Shanghai and a couple more in Asia, he plans on expanding down Sukhumvit and to Silom. Re; the slices: the cooked pizzas are only kept about 3 hours to ensure freshness, then they are tossed and new pizza made. Some discussion in Bangkok Forum at tail end of pizza thread.

Oh yeah, its good stuff

IMHO Italian Pizzas are more Authentic......... :o

Pizza was invented in America.

Can you back that statement up please ?

Whilst I realise Wikipedia isn't the ultimate in proof here is one statement from them

"Due to the wide influence of Italian and Greek immigrants in American culture, the United States has developed quite a large number of regional forms of pizza, many bearing only a casual resemblance to the Italian original."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzas

I will concede that New York Style Pizzas were invented in America... :D

Its not that close in the soi, if you are lazy you might be inclined to take a taxi or moto, although on a quiet Sunday it was enjoyable.

I ordered a calzone and was satisfied. It was a bit expensive, but I guess that goes with the location. My only complaint is that they did not serve the calzone with a side dish of spaghetti sauce which I found odd. The staff seemed attentive, so if I had asked I think they would have accommodated me, but we were in a hurry so I didn't bother. Another minor complaint was that there was no salt shaker on the able, but they did have red peppers and garlic powder, so that was a nice surprise. I will return.

Edited by TonyLeung

Hello,

went there yesterday( we ordered two 18" pizzas) and have to say...i am impressed with the friendly staff and of course the pizza is much better than pizza hut or pizza company. Two things though, i agree it could have a bit more sauce, also they were not enough of the toppings on there. We ordered two " hells kitchen" pizzas and it was hard to find the olives and the pepperoni...in fact there was no more than 2 pieces of pepperoni per slice... maybe it was because we got there just before closing time, still shouldnt happen as if you look on the webpage they say..the toppings were the most important to the pizza

but apart from that.... i would go back..

regards

tuimo

I thought the pizza was very good. I thought there was enough sauce (I agree that more may make it too soggy), but def. not enough toppings. Delivery service was good - arrived hot and on time.

Now on the list as a regular place.

I order myself a pizza from the delivery service yesterday after a long haul flight back home. I'm not originally from The City, but from a small suburb right over the border from NY (in Connecticut). My extended family lives in a few of the 5 boroughs and thereby I think that I know true New York pizza pretty well from my frequent visits. NYSP has done it right, in my opinion. I honestly thought it couldn't be done in BKK. I was so excited when I heard about Ronnie's (another NY style pizza joint in the Nana area) and promptly ordered from them. When the pizza arrived, the smell was perfect. It smelled like a pizza place on Arthur Avenue delivered the pie. However that's as far as it went. The dough was "mealy" (for lack of a better word) and that just killed it. The sauce was alright, but not enough salt and no bite to it. Overall a disappointment. So I went back to eating Italian style (thin crust) pizza from other excellent pizzerias in Bangkok.

When I saw this posting, I found the website and placed an order. The pizza was delivered within 20 mins (almost as fast as the lightening delivery of pizzamania.com. I swear, you hangup the phone and the doorbell rings with your order!) and not only was the smell right on...but the pie was perfect. Sauce was amazing...definitely fresh and had all the right characteristics. The dough! Oh dam_n...the dough was perfect! Their site says "Special authentic New York dough recipes" and I must say it's right on. The crust was almost perfect....big and chewy....though missing the trademark "yeast bubbles" (although that is actually a sign off poor dough mixing...so they've done something right). All I can say is, Bangkok finally has a true NY Pizza joint! So definitely go pick up (or order for delivery in the Thonglor / Ekamai / Phrom Phong area) a pie. Check out their menu before you get there (www.nysp.biz). Word.

Edited by StrongView

Thought this was an interesting article, from a credible source:

New York style pizza can be traced back to the 17th century when Spanish soldiers were occupying the area around Naples, Italy. One of their favorite snacks was a soft, crispy dough with toppings that the Neapolitans called sfiziosa. Like local New Yorkers who fold their slices in half and eat while walking, these Spanish soldiers folded the flat bread into a libretto (little book) and ate it with their hands. One of the main characteristics of New York style pizza is its thin, chewy crust, but that isn't everything that defines New York style pizza. Many might say that it's not New York style unless it leaves those yellow trails of oil running down your elbow when you eat it. This comes from the high butter fat cheese they use. Big Dave Ostrander says most New York pizzerias use Grande mozzarella cheese to get this trait. For New York style, fresh mozzarella isn't an option... it's a rule! Many are hearth or deck oven baked and the sauce is usually thinner than most sauces with fewer ingredients added. The dough is made with high protein, high gluten flour (usually 13.5 to 14.5% protein) and is slightly chewy. There is an old urban legend that you can only produce New York pizza in New York due to the hard water they have. While it's true that New York has hard water, it's debatable as to whether this is the secret ingredient. Source: PMQ.

Ordered at 9:25 - arrived at 9:55 - very good. Pizza was still warm, just right to eat.

The kids were happy. I enjoyed the pizza too, but:

* The cooking was uneven - one side was burnt, one side was white. Needless to say the white site was a bit soggy and the burnt side was a bit tougher to chew - but it wasn't that bad.

* Toppings - plenty of pepperoni, but meatball and sausage were pretty light. I'm sure there's a price element in here since all pizzas cost the same - but I would've gladly paid more to get a reasonably amount of meatball and sausage on there.

* Sides - chicken wings weren't that good and were too expensive. Garlic cheese bread slightly better, nice taste, but doesn't travel well.

Summary: I am extremely happy to be able to eat New York style pizza again. And the taste was good... now only missing the garlic powder and the dried chilli and the oregano - and I'd be a very happy camper :o NYSP will be this family's choice of delivery pizza in the future. Must try the calzone next time as well.

So I have been ordering for a few weeks now, done take out a few times and eaten in the restaurant twice.

Restaurant food has always been good, no complaints.

Delivery, first three times were good, but the last time received a burnt pizza. I will chalk it up to "it happens". Is this a result of trying to add more sauce and keep a crispy center????

However, they still need more toppings – I got a pizza that did not even have toppings on every slice, more like every other. The staff is also still pretty clueless when you try to order something that is not a "set" item on the menu – meaning it has been too difficult to order a build your own pizza, and I am stuck choosing from a list that does not always work for my tastes. Maybe you need to describe a base pizza (like comes with sauce and moz cheese, and then select the items below, then itimize the toppings).

I order myself a pizza from the delivery service yesterday after a long haul flight back home. I'm not originally from The City, but from a small suburb right over the border from NY (in Connecticut). My extended family lives in a few of the 5 boroughs and thereby I think that I know true New York pizza pretty well from my frequent visits. NYSP has done it right, in my opinion. I honestly thought it couldn't be done in BKK. I was so excited when I heard about Ronnie's (another NY style pizza joint in the Nana area) and promptly ordered from them. When the pizza arrived, the smell was perfect. It smelled like a pizza place on Arthur Avenue delivered the pie. However that's as far as it went. The dough was "mealy" (for lack of a better word) and that just killed it. The sauce was alright, but not enough salt and no bite to it. Overall a disappointment. So I went back to eating Italian style (thin crust) pizza from other excellent pizzerias in Bangkok.

When I saw this posting, I found the website and placed an order. The pizza was delivered within 20 mins (almost as fast as the lightening delivery of pizzamania.com. I swear, you hangup the phone and the doorbell rings with your order!) and not only was the smell right on...but the pie was perfect. Sauce was amazing...definitely fresh and had all the right characteristics. The dough! Oh dam_n...the dough was perfect! Their site says "Special authentic New York dough recipes" and I must say it's right on. The crust was almost perfect....big and chewy....though missing the trademark "yeast bubbles" (although that is actually a sign off poor dough mixing...so they've done something right). All I can say is, Bangkok finally has a true NY Pizza joint! So definitely go pick up (or order for delivery in the Thonglor / Ekamai / Phrom Phong area) a pie. Check out their menu before you get there (www.nysp.biz). Word.

Thanks for the excellent feedback (and other :D ) , and general terms we have had very positive feed back. I would say a large majority of people who have walked in, have returned back with friends / family, or we have had responses similar to "Strongview" . A large amount of our business has been referrals and repeat business (we need to market a bit more to get our name out there, so far we have not done much in that sense - Stay tuned, we will be in the Nation (interview) and BK magazine soon ). . We are now looking for more locations down Suk. ( any one know of one with good road side / expat visibility, pls IM me).

To answer a few things. We have put more toppings on our pizza, bearing in mind that we dont want to end up with a Chicago style pizza.

The amount sauce and more importantly how its applied has proven to be a complex problem with regards to soggy-ness of the center of the pizza, especially when compounded with pizza's which have more veg ( and thus more water content). Thick pizza's are more fail safe, thin crust pizza's are very exacting. ( little mistakes in dough can be seen very quickly)

We have a solution and the crust near the center is nice and crispy now, and the crust is about 3mm thick from center to edge. Again, if u want more than the 2 ladels of sauce, tell us when ordering, happy to add more, and i ma less worried about soggy-ness now.

Regards NYSP

Pattaya needs pizza too ! :o

- Burnt- does not happen alot, but will not say it never happens ( and generally we would ditch it if it were and the cooks get a dreaded lecture , so appologies if it slipped through the net ). Of late, we have made the crust a little crispier, but might revert back to baking the dough slightly less to keep it further away from that threshold.

Personally, I would rather it be approaching burnt than white and not cooked through - at the very least, evenly done. But as I pointed out - the pizza delivered to me was half white and half burnt. Not one or the other.

Once again thanks for the feedback, and we do take it to heart. Although we have had a great response to date, there are always things we can improve

To elaborate on a few things above:-

- Make to order system needs improvement - Furbie, Point taken, and we have discussed it this evening in the staff meeting and will improve on it ( might take a week or so to get it nailed down better )

- "More toppings" - We do add more i.e. pepperoni now, and if you want more - ask for it. We have not promoted enough about "Make ur own Pizza" where you can choose / add what u want for the same price. ( after we settle point 1, point 2 will improve i hope).

- Burnt- does not happen alot, but will not say it never happens ( and generally we would ditch it if it were and the cooks get a dreaded lecture , so appologies if it slipped through the net ). Of late, we have made the crust a little crispier, but might revert back to baking the dough slightly less to keep it further away from that threshold.

PATTAYA - yes, would love to go down, and have scouted a few places there 2 months back, but realistically it might only be by Q2 next year as we have more shops and kiosks to open in BKK.

Rdgs.

Carl.

Looking forward to it.

Sending burnt and uncooked pizzas out to customers and no staff think there is something wrong about that?

The mind boggles.

And you're thinking of expanding already?

:o

Well, they weren't actually burnt/uncooked. Burnt meaning the crust went slightly too crispy and black - but still enjoyable. Uncooked should've been undercooked.

Today - whole pizza was leaning towards white, and too soggy in the center. But still acceptable and the kids still enjoyed it.

The calzone is huge - but a bit soggy, not sure if that is because I asked them to add a bit of sauce or not. Basically looks like a 16" pizza folded over. I actually think this is a great deal, now to work on the consistency a bit.

I am sure they will get things fine-tuned before long, just like Sunrise eventually did. I accept that it is not always easy to get things the way they were back home.

Delivery was quick again and food still warm. This part seems to be working very well :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ate inside the shop yesterday:

WOW. Undoubtedly the best I've tried in Bangkok.

-I asked for extra sauce and I got it. It went very well on the pizza and crust was still crispy at the bottom.

-However, had a hard time explaining "extra sauce", "extra tomato sauce", and "extra ladel of sauce" to the staff. He eventually understood and it was good.

-Very helpful and friendly staff though.

-Pricing. The 16" pizza is 390 and 18" is 470.

-This means that the 18" pizza costs about 1.85 Baht per square inch, while the 16" costs 1.94 Baht per square inch.

-In other words, it's only a 0.09 Baht (satang) or 4.6% discount for buying the big one.

-Unless you're really planning to feed many mouths, it's better to buy the smaller one.

Was good overall. Will be back to buy the 16" !

Cheers. :o

Called to order a pizza for me and calzone for the wife twice in the last week. Both times we've called it was very difficult to get the order across to the clerk on the phone. I asked our maid to help with communications. Ordering is much easier this way if you are so inclined. When we got to ordering the calzone, both times we're told that they're out of ricotta and "would you like gorgonola?"!! :o

In any case, I know NYSP is just starting out here and they need time to work out the kinks. Since I'm very happy with the product I'd say the #1 priority should be getting better English speaking clerks on the phone and/or implementing an internet order system. I know the latter adds more complexity, but could streamline the ordering process.

Edited by StrongView