California Wow

Pdaz

Please explain what fitness equipment a gym should have that Tony's does not?

• A lap pool , not the BS little pool at Tony's that is overloaded with chlorine

• Clean locker rooms where you do not have to worry about low life scum robbing your stuff or having to dress next to the urinals, like at Tony's
  • Machines that are laid out properly with enough space between them , not dumped in rooms that were designed as apartments then retrofitted into a gym
  • More than one dingy lit tennis or badmiton court/basketball court
  • Not loaded with beach road freaks lounging around playing the role
  • Membership should include use of all the facilites and no BS surcharges like lighting the basketball after 7pm
  • Prolly a few more things also

Why do you make comments on gyms you haven't even seen?

You obviously haven't visited all 4 of Tony's Gyms. The one I use on Soi 16 is very spaced out and large. The toilets are very clean. There's also very few people lounging around there and they never get busy.

The new one in the Trade Center on 3rd Road is brand new...check it out.

Lap pools, basketball courts, tennis courts are not normally part of any gym.

When you've seen all 4 gyms come back here and post a decent report. I don't want to hear about pools, tennis courts and basketball courts....we're talking gyms here.

It would seem you have a problem with your fellow Pattaya residents, not the gyms. There's lots of bodybuilders on "juice" in Pattaya and if you like to visit real gyms it's a problem you're going to have to deal with. It's not like the old days when they had seperate lady's gyms where you'd probably be quite comfortable.

If you're looking for an executive fitness center you're in the wrong town.

Edited by tropo

Please explain what fitness equipment a gym should have that Tony's does not?

• A lap pool , not the BS little pool at Tony's that is overloaded with chlorine

• Clean locker rooms where you do not have to worry about low life scum robbing your stuff or having to dress next to the urinals, like at Tony's
  • Machines that are laid out properly with enough space between them , not dumped in rooms that were designed as apartments then retrofitted into a gym
  • More than one dingy lit tennis or badmiton court/basketball court
  • Not loaded with beach road freaks lounging around playing the role
  • Membership should include use of all the facilites and no BS surcharges like lighting the basketball after 7pm
  • Prolly a few more things also

Why do you make comments on gyms you haven't even seen?

You obviously haven't visited all 4 of Tony's Gyms. The one I use on Soi 16 is very spaced out and large. The toilets are very clean. There's also very few people lounging around there and they never get busy.

The new one in the Trade Center on 3rd Road is brand new...check it out.

Lap pools, basketball courts, tennis courts are not normally part of any gym.

When you've seen all 4 gyms come back here and post a decent report. I don't want to hear about pools, tennis courts and basketball courts....we're talking gyms here.

I have a lifetime membership at Tony's , glad it was only 15,000 baht when I got mine.

You were just telling someone else where to go swimming if they want to do laps.

I want all those things in one gym , so I joined Fairtex.

It may be a bit out your league but that is part of the appeal to some people.

I have a lifetime membership at Tony's , glad it was only 15,000 baht when I got mine.

You were just telling someone else where to go swimming if they want to do laps.

I want all those things in one gym , so I joined Fairtex.

It may be a bit out your league but that is part of the appeal to some people.

Well go and check out the 2 Tony's Gyms you haven't seen yet.

"Out of your league". Meaning?

I don't like Fairtex and don't need a pool. If Tony's was double the Fairtex price I'd still be training there.

Edited by tropo

Well go and check out the 2 Tony's Gyms you haven't seen yet.

"Out of your league". Meaning?

I don't like Fairtex and don't need a pool. If Tony's was double the Fairtex price I'd still be training there.

Wow you are really good at assuming things. I have been to all the Tony's locations and the only well designed one is the Tony's Muay Thai Center and that would be for lifting weights only.

"Out of Your League" meaning it ain't no cheap low end place, but you seem quite content with Tony's so all the better for you :o

Edited by JimmyTheMook

Wow you are really good at assuming things. I have been to all the Tony's locations and the only well designed one is the Tony's Muay Thai Center and that would be for lifting weights only.

"Out of Your League" meaning it ain't no cheap low end place, but you seem quite content with Tony's so all the better for you :o

I'm beginning to assume that you don't know jack about gyms or layouts. The Soi 16 Tony's is exremely well laid out and the Muay Thai Center layout is the worst.

You've stated in an earlier post that you paid for a life time membership and Tony's for only 15,000. Wouldn't that indicate you're in for a good deal and a budget minded traveller?

Think about it. You've got a lifetime membership at 4 gyms (3 of which are open 24 hours) for 15,000 and you're complaining???..because you don't like a chlorinated pool or have to pay a surcharge for basketball court lighting...and you don't like the tennis courts.

..and somewhere along the line you've become a gym snob and assume you're in a different class of people and that all other members are "freaks" and "riff raff" (in your own words) and cannot afford anything better. You're even assuming I'm poor because I don't wish to train at Fairtex.

You should give it a rest.

I'm beginning to assume that you don't know jack about gyms or layouts. The Soi 16 Tony's is exremely well laid out and the Muay Thai Center layout is the worst.

No the new place on 3rd road is the worst , those are the apartments that were turned into a gym. Have you even been on the 2nd floor to look around.

And the side with the pool and sauna is also laid out retard style where you can hardly move around people who are using the machines.

You've stated in an earlier post that you paid for a life time membership and Tony's for only 15,000. Wouldn't that indicate you're in for a good deal and a budget minded traveller?

It is a good deal and cheap but you get what you pay for with those prices.

Think about it. You've got a lifetime membership at 4 gyms (3 of which are open 24 hours) for 15,000 and you're complaining???..because you don't like a chlorinated pool or have to pay a surcharge for basketball court lighting...and you don't like the tennis courts.

It is low end place and it attracts the low end of the spectrum , I like the fact Pattaya is trying to move upmarket and there are some places that cater to those folks

And tennis courts is singular when reffering to the one at Tony's and even lifetime members have to pay to use it, almost as bad as the blatant double pricing they charge for memberships.

..and somewhere along the line you've become a gym snob and assume you're in a different class of people and that all other members are "freaks" and "riff raff" (in your own words) and cannot afford anything better. You're even assuming I'm poor because I don't wish to train at Fairtex.

Different strokes for different folks , most people who go/remain at Tony's could not afford a membership at Fairtex.

For many that is part of the appeal of Fairtex

You should give it a rest.

You're content there and so are many other people . I prefer something a bit more upmarket.

I came to Thailand to live well.

"The war of the gyms" seems to be heating up, so here is a broadside from my rathole!

Why not just mosey on over to the Pattaya Marriott/Royal Garden Fitness Club on the third floor. This is more like a total fitness and social club than a mere gym for pumping iron and scoffing steroids. There are actually very few baby oiled muscular types around, merely normal people wanting to work on their fitness and have a good time.

Good gym, plenty of aerobic stuff, yoga/pilates classes, mountain bikes for use, free juice bar with newspapers, coffee, TV, Wi-FI, etc.

Also free use of a very nice pool, free 4 hour parking, 15% off F&B in all Marriott restos. 2 tennis courts with "carpet" surface ("unreal grass", good on the old knees). OK, you pay 250 B/Hr for the lights on the court, but most people seem to play during daylight hours anyway. Clean and good changing rooms, nice and helpful staff. NO SALESPERSONS IN SIGHT!

I don't know about 1 month membership, but I think it is possible. Also 5 guest passes and discount vouchers with membership. After some years, you get a 20% discount plus 3 months free on renewal.

OK not the cheapest, but well done, good a/c, music fine and not too loud. And VERY LITTLE RIFF-RAFF!

There is also a terriffic SPA, but this is extra and very expensive (I think club members get a small discount, but not sure). But for a special treat it is great.

To me this package beats most others head down, if you want a full package that is. Perhaps Dusit and Royal Cliff has similar or better, but not by a lot methinks.

Tropo, I know this is not what you want, and fair enough, you have found your place, I have found mine.

Disclaimer: You may not belive this, but I do not own any shares in the above mentioned establishment, but I am a satisfied club member for more than 7 years, and for the price, it gives great value overall. So now it's the good ol' "Up to you"! ;-)

Let's revise some of the comments you've made in your gym assessment posts:

*It is low end place and it attracts the low end of the spectrum*

*I like the fact Pattaya is trying to move upmarket*

*I prefer something a bit more upmarket*

*most people who go/remain at Tony's could not afford a membership at Fairtex*

*beach road freaks lounging around playing the role*

*membership costs high enough to keep the riff raff out*

*low life scum robbing your stuff*

*Out of Your League*

It's not very useful to make gym reviews interspersed with such comments. What do you consider yourself to be? A high-society Pattaya snob? Why did you come here in the first place?

This is the way I review gyms. This is what I posted in a January thread. Factual, without derogatory comments about other people.

Ok Fanta, I've done some research.

I had an early morning workout...very early in fact, 4 am. I'm a night owl and often train that time of the night.

This was at Tony's Life-fitness gym on Soi 16 near Walking Street.

They have a special for one year of 3,999 baht, but for one month you'll be paying 2,600.

I've just started up again after a 10 month layoff so I walked around the gym and tried a lot of their equipment.

First of all, I'm not into Smith machines much myself, but just for you I tried a set of incline presses on their machine and was impressed with its smoothness and feel. It's not one of those counter-weighted Smiths that I really hate, but a direct weighted machine. It's so good in fact that I might start using it myself.

They have 14 Hammer Strength machines:

Incline press

Normal bench press position

Shoulder press

High pull

45 degree pull

Low row pull

Curl

Pressdown (triceps)

Shrug

Leg press

Deadlift

Seated calf

Toe press (calf raises)

Leg curl

Other equipment:

Bench press

Decline press

Incline press

(All heavy duty with olympic bars)

Enough plates to keep Ronnie Coleman happy. Large plates came in an assortment of 45lb and 20kgs. All large plates have grips. My only complaint would be that for some machines I had to walk too far to grab the plates. Hammer Strength is a bit of a pain that way and really suits partner training. Maybe if you went at peak times there could be a shortage of plates for the Hammer Strength machines. No problem at 4am lol.

2 cable stations with 4 sides each stacked to 300lbs in 20 lb increments (8 pulleys in total).

Pulldown

row

tricep

and joined together with cable crossover. Very heavy duty with multiple attachments.

Combination leg press, hack squat machine

Leg extension machine (heavy duty)

T-bar row

Back extension

Heavy duty squat rack

2 dipping stations

4 chinning stations (various hand positions)

Dumbbell rack from 5lbs to 135lbs! No shit!...with duplicate light dumbbells. Good luck picking up those 135's.

3 incline adjustable benches

2 seated press benches (very comfortable for overhead dumbbell work).

Portable flat bench (or 2?)

Lots of olympic type ez curl bars

Lots of spare full size olympic bars

7 high power aircon units with high power fans on top of each unit.

Now upstairs:

Ab Crunch machine (very smooth)

Pec Deck machine (very smooth)

Leg adductor/abductor machines.

Ab twister

2 adjustable ab boards

Lots of gym balls

Punching bag

10 teadmills (8 Life Fitness treadmills...very nice indeed)

7 upright excercise bikes (including 2 Lifecycles)

7 recumbent bikes

5 steppers (one LIfe Fitness)

5 skiers? I don't know what they are called - I never use them. You use you hands and feet in a skiing type of motion.

1 rowing machine. I like rowing and this one is quite okay. Not quite a Concept Rower, but not too bad.

5 high power aircon units with powerful fans on top...and a few more ceiling fans.

Outside are 2 saunas, 2 steam rooms, Jacuzzi and plunge pool.

There is plenty of floor space between machines...not crammed in like some gyms. The floor is covered with heavy duty rubber mats. There are cold pure water dispensers on each floor. A large and a small towel are provided free of charge.

It was like a VIP workout. I was the only trainer there and the Thai supervisor walked around turning on lots of aircon units and fans just for me. I'm sure they would have been losing money on me with the electric bill for the 1 1/2 hours I was there.

There you have it, the newest of the 3 Tony's Gyms. I think it's my choice of the 3.

Tropo

I'm sure they would have been losing money on me with the electric bill for the 1 1/2 hours I was there.

Don't think Tony is too worried about making a profit.. His 'other' less public businesses make the bulk of his income....

Don't think Tony is too worried about making a profit.. His 'other' less public businesses make the bulk of his income....[/color][/i]

Bingo. That's exactly why Tony's can offer so much for such a low fee.

It was like a VIP workout.

:o

Lost for words now Sir Jimmy?

How about presenting a decent review of Fairtex. What's there? How much is the membership?

Do you ever break a sweat when you train there? Do the staff offer a neck massage in between sets?

What do you wear? Is a suit and tie optional?

I found that line very funny , a VIP workout at a dump like Tony's - that's rich.

How about presenting a decent review of Fairtex. What's there? How much is the membership?

http://www.fairtexpattaya.com/

I think anyone interested can lookup their website or go in for a visit , if they think you are serious about joining you can get a day pass to to try the place out.

Sorry I can't lay on the praise like you have for Tony's.

Fairtex is expensive no question about it and they do not offer that much in the way of dicounts but again it keeps alot of the scum out and I think it is sort of designed that way.

Plus there is nothing in Pattaya that can compare with what is being offered there.

Do you ever break a sweat when you train there? Do the staff offer a neck massage in between sets?

I break a sweat when I train Muay Thai

No onsite massage , but the connecting spa does have an array of treatments available

What do you wear? Is a suit and tie optional?

I normally wear clean underpants or at least I try.

Don't think Tony is too worried about making a profit.. His 'other' less public businesses make the bulk of his income....[/color][/i]

The only question is how long these "less public businesses" will last.Lifetime membership can be of short life. :o

I found that line very funny , a VIP workout at a dump like Tony's - that's rich.

If you take a comment out of context you can find anything funny.

On that particular day the manager walked around turning on fans for my comfort therefore it FELT like a VIP workout.

And here you go again....using discriptions like "dump" and "scum" in your replies.

You haven't yet explained why you consider yourself a cut above the rest? Are you rich? Are you a snob? Why did you come to Pattaya?

**personal comments removed***sbk

The only question is how long these "less public businesses" will last.Lifetime membership can be of short life. :o

At 15 to 20k for a lifetime membership, is it really a problem if you only get a year or two? It's not like you're forking out your life savings.

You'd be better off worrying about having good, consistant workouts for a year...that's a decent challenge. The majority of members in any gym don't attend at all, and if they do, only sporadically.

Like you assumed I couldn't afford train at Fairtex gym merely because I don't wish to.

Regarding the Fairtex Gym: The Internet site you linked says nothing about membership fees and even less about the gym. How much did they do you for? Did you get a Gold or a Platinum membership? How much chlorine is in the pool?

How about a report? Some decent info on this high-society gym would help.

Edited by sbk

Like you assumed I couldn't afford train at Fairtex gym merely because I don't wish to.

You made it quite clear that you're happy at Tony's, many people are as the place is a great success.

I used my membership there for around one year straight , had my sneakers ripped off from the locker room at the place on 3rd road when I went to take a shower once ( do not have that problem at Fairtex).

Can't count how many times I heard other people complaining about having things stolen from them, both men and women , that is where my comments about scum came from.

I still use the Muay Thai place on 3rd Road sometimes for late night workouts as to me they have the best selection of weight machines anywhere in Pattaya and yeah the 24 hours thing is very cool - plus the layout of the place makes sense.

Regarding the Fairtex Gym: The Internet site you linked says nothing about membership fees and even less about the gym. How much did they do you for? Did you get a Gold or a Platinum membership? How much chlorine is in the pool?

I bought a Gold membership for my family, so it was not cheap as I stated b4 but I think all factors considered it is worth it.

Now no need to have my kids see BG's in the swimming pool anymore like at Tony's, does that make me a snob?

The pool at Fairtex is a new system that uses a light saltwater filteration system , it does not burn your eyes and it allows for proper lap swimming.

How about a report? Some decent info on this high-society gym would help.

I really do not think this is a high society gym , you have been there so you have seen that a big portion of the place is a Muay Thai training center.

It is clean and no other place in Pattaya can match it's facilities. I am also comfortable taking my kids there and that is most important to me.

Fairtex and Tony's appeal to two very different markets within Pattaya.

I think some of the other comments in this thread attest to that.

Thank you Jimmy, that was a good report...but you still haven't mentioned how much the membership at Fairtex set you back? I understand if you wish to keep that a secret.

Although I've had a few workouts at the main 3rd Road Tony's Gym, I do all my training at the Soi 16 facility so really my review is specific to that gym, not all of the Tony's gyms. I have the membership which allows me to train at all 4 but I choose to train exclusively at Soi 16 because:

*It's well laid out with lots of free space between equipment. ie. not cluttered.

*It's loaded with the best equipment....Hammer Strength, heavy duty cables, lots of benches and free weights, and a mean dumbell rack etc.

*It has a great cardio section upstairs where I can use Life cardio equipment with built-in heart rate monitors.

*It's never busy.

*The toilets are clean.

I don't bring valuables to a gym (never have) therefore locker security is not an issue for me...but the lockers there seem ok (haven't tested them).

I've trained in gyms for over 30 years on 5 continents. I choose a gym on merit, not price. You can't put a price on a good workout.

We have the rare opportunity to use some of the best strength equipment on earth at Tony's Soi 16. Hammer Strength equipment is not used at too many gyms, mainly because it takes up a lot of space and a lot of plates are required to load them and they are also not suited to circuits because they take too long to load...therefore Hammer Strength gyms are few and unheard of in Asia. You may come across gyms with the odd piece here and there, but not the full selection.

If anyone is looking for a safe way to build up functional strength, Hammer Strength equipment is amongst the best.

Saw two guys training at CalWOW yesterday... One had earplugs and the other left without working out... Seems he asked for the music volume to be reduced.. They refused.. So he voted with his feet... I wonder which membership he signed up for ? And whether he will get a refund ?

Seems like once they have your cash they don't give a <deleted>.... Service staff are unhelpful to say the least and the boss is overly smug too...

Saw two guys training at CalWOW yesterday... One had earplugs and the other left without working out... Seems he asked for the music volume to be reduced.. They refused.. So he voted with his feet... I wonder which membership he signed up for ? And whether he will get a refund ?

Seems like once they have your cash they don't give a <deleted>.... Service staff are unhelpful to say the least and the boss is overly smug too...

Do you think they are capable of learning from customer perspectives? :o

Do you think they are capable of learning from customer perspectives? :o

Spoke with someone just last night who totally regrets signing up with California "Chuck" Wow.

IMO That place makes the Tony's gyms seem like a total wet dream.