Rye Bread Or German Bread!

thaihedgehog

This is my formula for a nice sandwich type rye, and the favorite around here. This also freezes well, wrap about 3 times with plastic wrap and pop in freezer just after it reached room temp.

Jewish-Style Rye Bread

2 1/2 cups rye flour

2 1/2 cups unbleached flour

1 package (2 teaspoons) instant dry yeast

2 tablespoons caraway seeds

1 tablespoon sea salt

1 3/4 cups water

3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses (any dark molasses will do, I like the Aussie brand at foodland)

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 egg white, lightly beaten

Combine flours, yeast, caraway seed and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

In a saucepan, combine water, molasses and butter. Heat until warm (butter does not have to melt), not too hot or you'll kill the yeast.

In a large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour mixture with the warm liquid. Beat at medium speed of an electric hand mixer for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup more flour mixture, or enough to make a thick batter. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes.

With spoon, stir in remaining flour, or enough to make a soft dough. (This is where you may have to add additional flour to get a good consistency.)

Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 15 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Punch down. Knead lightly. Divide in two; shape each into a round (or oval) bread. Place on baking sheet you have sprinkled generously with corn meal. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush with egg white (or plain water). If desired, sprinkle with additional caraway seeds. Bake in preheated 400 degrees F. oven for 25 minutes, or until bread taps hollow.

Edited by LtLOS

dam_n someone just open a decent bakery in bkk.

I have no idea what that comment has to do with this thread, a specific question was asked and one recommendation given.

I sincerely hope that the moderators on this site will start to take control and keep these topics on topic.

• 2 weeks later...
dam_n someone just open a decent bakery in bkk.

I have no idea what that comment has to do with this thread, a specific question was asked and one recommendation given.

I sincerely hope that the moderators on this site will start to take control and keep these topics on topic.

Translation: If we had a really good bakery, there would be no need for people to have to take the time and effort to make their own bread. There was nothing wrong with the comment.