Diesel Mercs

Upcountry

I'm selling my 95 octane burner, and thinking about getting a diesel Mercedes.

The last time I saw one at a used car lot I was told the car burned "oil", not diesel. Only newer ones here are diesel, said the salesman.

So, I'm wondering which models and years to start with in my search. For the purposes of this question, the older the better, all Merc models.

Thanks! :o

Any experience with biodiesel here in Thailand?

The last time I saw one at a used car lot I was told the car burned "oil", not diesel. Only newer ones here are diesel, said the salesman.

So, I'm wondering which models and years to start with in my search. For the purposes of this question, the older the better, all Merc models.

Sound advice ! Mercedes in general, esp diesels were at there best up to 1997/98 they have in line fuel pumps, not common rail, as post 97/98.

The ones in between up till now are troublesome to say the least, in the company we have had them all from 220 d to s320 cdi.

Problem is you will be lucky to find a low km/ miles model from the early years, the c 250 turbo diesel, or 300td were the best, and can easily reach 300.000 miles with no major probs.

Many Mercs are stolen to order here for asia ! Good luck

Nb common rail fuel systems dont like bio diesel, unless it is less than 10% of a tank .

Edited by Thehedonist

Depends on what your definition of older is? Diesel mercs from the mid eighties to late nineties are extremely rare. You either find the newer crop of diesels or the older with of course a massive price differential! I have a 1977 W123 300D (early model). Fantastic car, has over 600,000 on the clock and still going strong. The way this car has stood up to 30 years of abuse is amazing. Would highly recommend one if you are not a sporty driver. Also been very economical. They can be bought from 120,000 - 200,000 depending on condition.

Depends on what your definition of older is? Diesel mercs from the mid eighties to late nineties are extremely rare. You either find the newer crop of diesels or the older with of course a massive price differential! I have a 1977 W123 300D (early model). Fantastic car, has over 600,000 on the clock and still going strong. The way this car has stood up to 30 years of abuse is amazing. Would highly recommend one if you are not a sporty driver. Also been very economical. They can be bought from 120,000 - 200,000 depending on condition.

Thank you both for your replies.

So, I am guessing that most pre 1997/98 are oil burners, not diesel. That makes the diesels rare, but probably worth looking for.

Next, I need to determine which model years and models are best to buy. Smaller is probably better for me (don't need one of those giant models with a tiny engine!). The oil-burner I'm selling is a BMW 318i. One of the things I love about it is the handling and tight turning radius. It's amazing how maneuverable it is in tight spaces and how beautifully it handles the curves on the mountain roads. I hope I can find a Merc that is similar.

The thing I probably dislike most about the 'BM is the smallish trunk space. I doubt I could convert it to LPG, but if I did you could call the trunk space practically zero.

Anyone in Thailand, outside of Bangkok, using biodiesel?

Thank you both for your replies.

So, I am guessing that most pre 1997/98 are oil burners, not diesel. That makes the diesels rare, but probably worth looking for.

Next, I need to determine which model years and models are best to buy. Smaller is probably better for me (don't need one of those giant models with a tiny engine!). The oil-burner I'm selling is a BMW 318i. One of the things I love about it is the handling and tight turning radius. It's amazing how maneuverable it is in tight spaces and how beautifully it handles the curves on the mountain roads. I hope I can find a Merc that is similar.

The thing I probably dislike most about the 'BM is the smallish trunk space. I doubt I could convert it to LPG, but if I did you could call the trunk space practically zero.

The smallest older Merc diesel from the early 90/s is a 190 d that one is underpowered, the best one same era is 190d 2.5 that is five cylinder non turbo, then you go onto the c class 220d or c250 turbo diesel the latter is a cracker and goes real good.

If you want a bigger saloon as the other man said a 300d or 300 td are brilliant, but to find one of the above with low kms is hard !

Another good choice is the same era BMW DIESELS the 6 cylinder ones are best.

Going on what you have said the c 250 turbo would be ideal.

If you want a bigger saloon as the other man said a 300d or 300 td are brilliant, but to find one of the above with low kms is hard !

Thanks. I did a search on some thai car websites, but all I see for search options are C240 or C280, not C250. I do see C250 via google, though. I' don't know if this indicates that the C250 is not sold here of just not available used. Is the C240 or C280 more or less the same car?

Thanks. I did a search on some thai car websites, but all I see for search options are C240 or C280, not C250. I do see C250 via google, though. I' don't know if this indicates that the C250 is not sold here of just not available used. Is the C240 or C280 more or less the same car?

The models you quote are petrol, I really do not know what if any diesel models went to T/land.

We supply many models to Hong kong , Malasia but all are petrol, they prefer the quietness.

People we find fall into two camps ones either loving petrol powered cars and hating diesel, or vice versa.

Just look at Clarkson, he absolutely hates diesel cars !

My personal tastes are for diesel, I love to hear a Toyota landcruiser or similar with a 6 cyl engine purring under the bonnet, I actually find it very strange indeed to be in a Bentley or similar marque and not hear the engine !

On a different note will T/land be getting the new ford ranger with the new 3.od diesel, it has some great reports.

The models you quote are petrol, I really do not know what if any diesel models went to T/land.

Quietness is good, I'll miss the smoothness and quietness of my current car. But I have the feeling that diesel fuel will be available in Thailand longer the 91 octane benzine (which will soon go the way of 95 as Ethanol-crazy Thailand keeps destroying valuable forest land to to grow palms). Plus, as I said above, if biodiesel ever became an option here, I'd like to be ready for it.

I'm not really crazy about getting a really old 300td even if I could find one. So. "Hedonist", are you saying that the c250 that you mentioned before is not available in Thailand? :o That would explain what the dealer told me.

I am not real a MB person but new I read something new for me.

A MB burning OIL ??? :D

As far as I know there are diesel and petrol engines from MB. The diesel engine can also run on sunflower oil or old cooking oil like most diesel engines. Only the turbo’s and common rail need to be adapted for it. The basic diesel engine don t need adoptions end function well. The bad part of driving on sunflower or cooking oil is the smell and the smoke it produce. :o

Regards :D