New Airport, A Positive Experience To Report

canadiangirl

I flew into the new airport for the first time a few days ago. Everything I had read about it led me to think it was going to be a complete nightmare, but things went surprisingly ok. It's not exactly a well-oiled machine, but I was in and out in less than a hour after landing. My flight landed at around 11 pm.

Only one thing would be that it's not always clearly indicated who works for the airport and who doesn't -- someone tried to wave me away from the pack lining up at immigration, and in his approach I took him for some random tout/scammer -- then a few minutes later another one like him came, and directed a bunch of us to a line further along -- and I realized that the first guy was just trying to direct me to an empty line.

The immigration officers couldn't be descripted as "nice", but they didn't give me any problems either. I saw some German guy who was having problems with his passport in another line, he had almost crawled into the side of the booth to yell at the officer. I can't really imagine that turned out well for him.

There were huge signs at baggage saying to only get "official" taxi limos from the counter, not from people approaching you, and there were some guys with walky-talkies that seemed to be watching to make sure there were no touts.

Past baggage, the touts weren't particularly annoying. I stood in the taxi line, waiting 1 minute total, and got a cab. The driver looked really rough, so I was a bit apprehensive about (being a woman by myself with a 50 minute ride ahead of me) - -but I put on my best no-nonsense face :-) and he actually turned out to be one of the BEST taxi drivers I've had in Thailand. He drove safely (none of the usual crazy tailgaiting, speeding, passing, etc), kept a safe distance between him and other vehicles, asked me if I wanted the tollway -- he even handed me the receipts at the end to show me how much the tolls were -- he found where I was going with no problem. Wow! I gave him a huge tip. :-)

So, all-in-all, not so bad -- I got into town in time to have a drink. :-)

Edited by canadiangirl

Yeah, I used the new airport a couple of times (about a year ago when everybody on TV was screaming about how terrible it was) and had no problem whatsoever.

(You probably won't get many people reading or commenting about this. I've found the majority of forum users generally gravitate toward the negative posts rather than the positive ones.)

The immigration officers couldn't be descripted as "nice", but they didn't give me any problems either. I saw some German guy who was having problems with his passport in another line, he had almost crawled into the side of the booth to yell at the officer. I can't really imagine that turned out well for him.

Good descripting!

Maybe try and post a video for us next time.

Me too. I flew in yesterday 20th November. I was fully ready for any hustlers. I just ignored anyone who did try to approach me as I kept walking. Customs were working at about 2 minutes a traveller. I think that maybe the only reason people react badly to the taxi touts is either because they are over tired or drunk. If anybody would need any help finding directions around the airport to find a real taxi, just ask the information booths. Very polite and helpful.

Good airport, no problem.

Leaves Heathrow for dead as far as I am concerned.

I came in late last night also. No hassle at immigration - in fact, better than before, because I didn't get the "warning" that my passport had been reported lost (been like that since 2002, since my passport did get lost) - maybe someone finally took pity on me :o

First time I saw an official taxi tout just before customs, though - and also the first time I encountered a private taxi tout outside. But no hassles, I just continued walking to the public taxi area and was in a taxi within a minute.

Things are looking up. Very difficult to complain about an airport when one arrives home 30 minutes after landing!

Well I agree that after using the new airport for six visits it has functioned well for five of them. On one occasion, back in July, it took an hour and twenty minutes to get through immigration inbound. The luggage had all been taken off the carousel which was working on the next flight's stuff. Outbound that trip passport control again took ages, can't remember exact figure but would guess at 30-45 minutes (just enough time for one beer and a sprint to the gate). I don't know if there was any particular problem that trip but it seems odd that one out of six was bad in and outbound.

I've never had a problem with taxi touts, well a lot less that at many other S.E. Asian airports. All the King Power shops don't bother me, I go to an airport to travel not to do a bit of shopping. The restaurants are over priced but that is also par for the course, If I don't like the price I exercise my consumer rights and vote with my feet. People complained about the lack of toilets but I've yet to have a problem.

I don't quite get all the folks whinging about LHR. Terminal three, which most of you use, is 50 odd years old so it's entitled to have a few wrinkles. Last time I used it they were refurbishing it and the sections they had done were quite pleasant. Terminal four is, I think, around twenty years old (mid eighties I'm guessing) and always has performed well for me. If you are whining about the security measures you can't blame the airport for that and I'd rather a bit of hassle than run the risk of becoming another terrorist victim stat. I think LHR is a great airport outbound because it means I am departing the country and generally for sunnier climes. Inbound it's a bit depressing but that's not entirely the airport's fault.

Anyhow it will be interesting to see how Suvanarbhumi ages. As I said it functions well as an airport (which is why we go there) but it's aesthetics are crap. I don't buy this "exposed utilities are fashionable" BS, the cable trays are the same as we use in refineries (utilitarian). Also I noticed last time that the windows were a bit grubby, maybe all that external structure makes them difficult to clean.

So I'd agree that Suvarnabhumi works for me as an airport. Nothing more, nothing less than a portal through which I have to pass on occasion. :o

I also flew in from Singapore on Tues 20th night about 10pm - no problems at Immigration - only a 15 minute wait. MUCH easier now and clearer signposts for Public Taxis too. Although when I went through the Revolving doors, about 6 girls suddenly sprang up and wanted me to use their taxi/limo etc. Maybe the Charm tactic? ANyway, gave them a Big smile (and a wide berth :D ), and continued to the taxi "chairs" and was in a Cab in 5 mins. Great :D

My only minor complaint was that there was no reponse to my smile and Sawasdee Kah when offering my passport to Immigration staff at both Departure from BKK and also on Arrival. I almost wanted to do a Dom Joly and shout "Hello" "Can you hear me?" (For those familiar with Trigger Happy TV Series in the UK). :D

Not such a big deal but slightly ironic I thought when Thailand is supposedly known as "The Land of Smiles"..

Whereas at Singapore, I was greeted politely, "Good Morning Madam" AND got a smile on my Departure. :bah: So, 1 nil to Singapore in that match!

BTW, CHANGI AIRPORT for me is THE BEST AIRPORT in the world, I could go there just for a daytrip and never leave the airport :bah: - there is just SO much to do! (Plus great sushi and duty free which is SO much cheaper than SUvarnabhumi - one product I saved 520bt, the second product I saved 310bt :o by buying at Changi). :o

As another poster wrote above which I agree with, Suvarnabhumi for me is also an Airport and serves its function as an Airport, but world class? Or a Regional HUB? Mmm, not yet, it still has a long way to go IMHO.

Bon Voyage mes amis :D

Edited by Andiamo

Hi all

Ive landed at Swampy twice, first time was 29 Sept 06 the day after it opened at about 10.30 pm, well suprise no problems at all,

then again 28 Oct 07 about 12.30 pm and again no problems with airport immigration or customs etc., a few girls touting for taxi

but I put my finger to my lips and they all smiled and left me alone.

But at public taxi rank I was told by girl who wrote out my taxi voucher " 400 bht to Soi 3 Sukumvit" I was not sure if she was scamming me for taxi driver but it cost a lot less by the meter which I insisted on. Never been quoted fare before by these people was a bit suprised.

I dont normally go to Bkk from airport usually go to Pattaya so Iam not sure if this is scamming but it did seem a high figure quoted ? :o

Cheers Malzy

But at public taxi rank I was told by girl who wrote out my taxi voucher " 400 bht to Soi 3 Sukumvit" I was not sure if she was scamming me for taxi driver but it cost a lot less by the meter which I insisted on. Never been quoted fare before by these people was a bit suprised.

I dont normally go to Bkk from airport usually go to Pattaya so I am not sure if this is scamming (yes) but it did seem a high figure quoted ? :o

Cheers Malzy

They always quote me 450 so you got a discount (and BTW I always insist on the meter)

Well here I am, sitting on level 3 in my first visit to Swampy, waiting for my flight to Bleak City, which departs in about 3 hours.

I have the laptop plugged in, courtesy of AOT, and I am also logged into their wi fi, also free.

I have enjoyed a cheap and nutritious meal at the staff canteen on level 1, washed down by 3 cans of bitterly cold and cheap beer Leo.

I have also done a bit of a Cooks Tour the check the place out. The highlight (besides seeing that John Howard has been given the ars* in the Oz election) has been a tour of the evil black hole known to be inhabited by "rogue customs officers", near the arrivals gate. Gee, looked perfectly normal to me. Saw 3 guys (I think english, but not sure) wander out, looking quite sheepish. Business must be good for the Excise boys, because there is an ATM conveniently located right next their office. I will know who to look for now when I get back, but as I don't smoke, hopefully I won't be accosted and bullied.

Other than that, the airport seems perfectly normal and functional. Taxi touts - of course. However, they disappeared after a single "no" from me.

I just hope it is this simple when I get to Melbourne tomorrow. What reception awaits me from the Australian "boys in blue", better know as Her Majesty's Customs. And I am dreading the $60 (TBH1800) taxi ride that will get me virtually nowhere.

Oh well, check-in time. I promise a friendly and equally unbiased report on the return journey in a couple of weeks.

I think positive comments are just as useful - the points about immigration queues and taxis are all valuable for people like me coming over soon

I agree. A refreshing positive thread for TV. Helpful, and factual. There are always weird, bad things that may happen to someone, but after reading about all of them at once in a sitdown at TV, it really puts a dark spot on LOS. Thank you poster, I'll be going through the airport in two weeks, and I hope to have a decent time also. No need for me to hear about all the bad thigs that may happen there, I've already read most of the other threads :o

Cheers.

I just arrived back yesterday from Ha Noi and there were no queues at Immigration, baggage arrived almost immediately we entered the baggage hall, no problems buying Duty Free in the baggage hall, no hassle from the Official Taxi people in yellow uniforms dotted around the baggage hall and at the exit through Customs, no Customs checks, no 'dodgy' customs people once through into the terminal and no taxi touts in the terminal either.

A thoroughly pleaseant arrival experience.

I just arrived back yesterday from Ha Noi and there were no queues at Immigration, baggage arrived almost immediately we entered the baggage hall, no problems buying Duty Free in the baggage hall, no hassle from the Official Taxi people in yellow uniforms dotted around the baggage hall and at the exit through Customs, no Customs checks, no 'dodgy' customs people once through into the terminal and no taxi touts in the terminal either.

A thoroughly pleaseant arrival experience.

Seems to be the norm, and not the exception as some would like to make us believe.

Have been in and out now 8 times with onetime a cue at immigration which meant 20 minutes delay.

Good airport, not exceptional but good.

cheers

onzestan

It's all the matter of perception (not sure if spell correct) & novelty of experience(or what to compare it with :o )..

Now after Heathrow Swampy IS the best airport in the world .. oupss. that's ifwe've only been to 2 airports :D ..

Same, when i vist some country for the first time.. the pic gets rosier.. Now i visit Myanmar border towns for example, & absolutely thrilled with experience , it is lovely place :D nature ,culture... Now how would my perception change if i was 'stuck' there for a few years, oups. lived there.. well i wouldn't really., but one thing sure, after a while one sees the negative aspects of life more clearly, especially if things DO get worse (like Don Meuang to Swampy) :D

Well the return (inward) journey was as uneventful as the outward leg.

Put simply, one of the easiest airports (this time at least) I have encountered on my various travels.

8 out of 10.

For those arriving early morning and transferring to DM for a domestic - flight touched down at the Swamp at 05.55, and my taxi arrived at DM at 07.15.

Edited by jackspratt

I have the laptop plugged in, courtesy of AOT, and I am also logged into their wi fi, also free.

Is a password needed for the WiFi?

Login name: test

Password: test

Good luck.

Haha... nice one... must remember it for when the lounge wi-fi doesn't work (which is often).

Just for the record, it was also pretty straightforward departing from Spoom (or whatever it's called, I can never spell it), on a BKK airways flight to Vietnam.

Easy to get to the airport at around 2pm

Easy to get my ticket at the counter.

Easy to check-in, the staff was super nice.

Passport control went fast, no problems.

The main weird thing is there's no good sources of information: can i get food after passport control, should i eat before, shop before?

There was WAY better food after passport control, and lots of shopping, but this wasn't really indicated anywhere. The food on the lower floor for departures was ok.

The main weird thing is that there is a separate security point for every "area" of the boarding gates ,right before the boarding area. Then once you're past that, there's nothing: no food, no last minute shopping, nada.

I'm also not a fan of riding a bus to my plane, but I suppose it's not so bad.

(this is probably a bunch of nitpicky details - -but maybe some of you are like me, liking to know anal-retentive information whne you travel! :-P

Came in on Friday night from Singapore ... landed roughly 10.30pm and was home (Yannawa) by 11.30pm ... a record! Small queues at immigration, didn't have a checked bag so can't comment on that.

Still not quite sure whether the airport is improving, or whether it's all dependant on how many flights are coming in just before yours ...

Overall, I don't think it's a bad airport, just not as good as it should be given its age and cost, and it's definitely outclassed by Changi and CLK