Foreigner Killed In 9-vehicle Pileup

Jai Dee

One foreigner killed in 9-vehicle pileup

Chon Buri - A foreigner was killed in a pileup of nine vehicles in this eastern coastal province Wednesday.

Police said the accident happened at 11:10 am at an intersection on Sukhumvit Road in Chon Buri's Sattahib district.

Four cars, three pick-up trucks, a bus and a motorcycle were involved in the accident.

More details to follow.

Source: The Nation - Breaking News - 21 November 2007

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to placing the blame on "these" people, it would be nice to hear what happened

In the meantime, my condolences to the family of the deceased and any others injured in the accident.

Condolences of course.

However, if there is a multi-vehicle pile-up there must be several drivers at fault, whatever the details or circumstances.

Tony's comment about the police force is reasonable - it is my experience / impression that a substantial percentage of drivers have no licence, have never had driving lessons, or have never passed a driving test.

This situation cannot be controlled until corruption is controlled.

I must admit driving in Thailand is something I decided not to do. From the time I have been here I have been involved in 3 accidents all while being a passenger on a bus. The worst one by far was a head on with a motorcycle coming back from Isaan. Considering it was Song Kran I did not think it was too unusual based on what I read about the typical number of traffic deaths at that time of the year.

American dies as bus crushes car

A 62-year-old American man was killed and five Thais were injured in a pileup of nine vehicles at an intersection on Sukhumvit Road in Chon Buri's Sattahip district yesterday morning, police said.

Three cars, three pickup trucks, a van, bus and motorcycle were involved in the collision at 11.30am.

Police and rescue workers found the body of Michael Joseph Diron inside a Honda City car crushed by the bus, which was taking 260 Bangkok schoolchildren to visit the Sattahip Naval Base as part of a scout camping trip.

Diron's Thai female companion Waranee Wanprasart, 32, was rushed to a nearby hospital along with chief petty officers 1st class Pakorn Robkhob, 36, and Sathien Sunasanam, 37, as well as Warin Udomamnuay, 27, and Manthana Klinnoi, 22.

Lt-Colonel Nipon Pomsanam of Sattahip Police Station said the bus collided with Diron's and other vehicles waiting at a red light.

Police would summon the bus operator for help in catching his driver, who fled the scene.

Source: The Nation - 22 November 2007

a Honda City car crushed by the bus, which was taking 260 Bangkok schoolchildren to visit the Sattahip Naval Base as part of a scout camping trip.

260 kids on one bus!!

The police should be asking questions at the school and bus operators about this!

The poor kids must have been packed like sardines! Lucky that none of them were killed!

Condolences to all families.

WHEN, OH WHEN, OH WHEN will these people ever learn to drive!

The day there is a police force in place. :o

Daily I see the police "in place" and watching cars/bus'/motorbikes ignore red traffic lights at Thonglor and New Petchaburi road. I feel while crossing with the green light I am still putting myself in harms way due to the blatant disregard for laws/rules and lack of enforcement. So walking is also dangerous in BKK.

:D Keoki

a friend living in sattahip area told me that the crash was due to the bus' break malfunctioned and was not able to stop at the traffic light and therefore crashing all the cars waiting for the green light. also, there are no passengers (students) in the bus as they were left inside the navy base visiting the turtle conservation center while the bus driver went to buy petrol somewhere down sukhumvit road. the crashed happened when the bus was going back to the navy base to pick up the students. obviously, the bus is not carrying 260 students but there are other buses in the trip and not in the crash scene. i cannot attest how accurate this information is but it is likely.

condolences to mr. fearon and the other thai man who died in the accident. may you rest in peace...

Once again great confusion from the various reports.

The version by Khun Sorayuth on Channel 3 this morning was that 5 buses were in convoy transporting the kids. The tyre blew out on one of the buses and the driver lost control, ploughing into 9or 10 cars stopped at a red light. None of the children were hurt, but the foreigner who died was a passenger in one of the cars.

Prior to placing the blame on "these" people, it would be nice to hear what happened

In the meantime, my condolences to the family of the deceased and any others injured in the accident.

It was the 'Foreigner's' fault of course!

You know nothing of the accident other than what you read here. Stop spreading the urban myth that it is always the foreigner's fault here. Search the forum to see that this has been debunked here many times.

........It was the 'Foreigner's' fault of course!..........

You know nothing of the accident other than what you read here. Stop spreading the urban myth that it is always the foreigner's fault here. Search the forum to see that this has been debunked here many times.

I think he was being sarcastic!

My remark was about placing the blame on "these" people before anything was posted about the accident. Sometimes it's a good idea to wait and see what happened. Of course, most of us know how drivers are here, but assuming things and knowing them are quite different.

It takes some time to find out the details. Maybe a poorly maintained bus, a brake system that failed etc. And yes, in all likelihood, a poorly trained driver who fell asleep, was talking on a cell phone etc. etc..

Every time there is a serious accident involving fatalities, the party at fault always cites brake failure as the cause rather than dangerous driving. This is part of Thai (driving) culture. The reason they do this is to avoid any blame or repercussions related to dangerous driving. They would rather avoid going to prison or having to pay fines, medical expenses or funeral expenses.

Every time there is a serious accident involving fatalities, the party at fault always cites brake failure as the cause rather than dangerous driving. This is part of Thai (driving) culture. The reason they do this is to avoid any blame or repercussions related to dangerous driving. They would rather avoid going to prison or having to pay fines, medical expenses or funeral expenses.

agree... 3 out of my 5 accidents in thailand are on the traffic light. first, a pickup truck bump the back of my corolla in korat as he rushed from a curve just before the traffic light. second, in bangkok, a motorbike and 2 a55holes flew over my car after crashing my back bumper, they were drunk and luckily they survived the crash. and third, a delivery truck smashed into my bumper pushing me to the next car in front of me causing 3 car pile up. he is not fast (in bangkok) so not a major one. all these accidents are thai drivers no faults but their brake failed to work. :o

agree... 3 out of my 5 accidents in thailand are on the traffic light. first, a pickup truck bump the back of my corolla in korat as he rushed from a curve just before the traffic light. second, in bangkok, a motorbike and 2 a55holes flew over my car after crashing my back bumper, they were drunk and luckily they survived the crash. and third, a delivery truck smashed into my bumper pushing me to the next car in front of me causing 3 car pile up. he is not fast (in bangkok) so not a major one. all these accidents are thai drivers no faults but their brake failed to work. :o

Sounds like there's a nationwide crisis of faulty feet in Thai people, not faulty brakes in Thai cars. Maybe it's the culture of not using your feet for anything except walking that causes them to forget to brake, but still remember to flee after a crash :D

"Police would summon the bus operator for help in catching his driver, who fled the scene."

What a f#cking surprise...

the real surprise will be if they're able catch the correct culprit.... :o i suspect we will have to write this off as a case of mechanical failure :D thai vehicles seem to have minds of their own that would put transformers to shame... :D

Edited by Payboy