Fresh Easy Salsa!

OM3N

So lately I've been craving mexican food (Sunrise tacos is great, but I don't have the budget to be eating there often).

I decided to experiment with making salsa, and to my surprise it worked out great!

Ingredients:

5-6 ripe Thai tomatoes (make sure they are good and red)

1 medium onion

5-10 thai chillies (depending on your spiciness tolerance)

3 small thai limes

fresh coriander (cilantro)

Prep:

Bring pot of water to a boil, add tomatoes for ~1 minute to facilitate peeling

Drain tomatoes, peel and dice finely

Dice onion finely

Dice chillies finely

Juice limes

Dice Chillies finely

Throw all this together, and if you have a blender puree it a tad (not to a pulp)

Let sit in fridge for ~6 hours, and stir.

There you have it. A very easy and tasty salsa, that would get a pass in South LA.

Best enjoyed with tortilla chips (Danitas, or if you're a big spender Doritos plain :o )

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Yup, that's about, it and makes a great salsa fresca. Here's a couple things I do with mine, try adding a pinch or two of ground cumin, carefull not too much can be overpowering, and I like to use the Thai giant shallots instead of yellow onion. Also you can use the large green mild chilis (anaheims) if you want a less intense heat. Can't beat a good salsa!

If you have a deep fat fryer, try buying the Danitas corn tortillas, cut them in wedges and toss them in the fryer at about 190°C, as the tortillas are thicker, they make what we think is a better chip, and we can add whatever and how much seasoning we want.

Thanks for the tips!

The cumin sounds like a great idea.

I don't have a deep fryer (Wish I did LOL).

Sound almost exactly like the recipe I posted a while back.........I would add this: try roasting the peppers first (use the long green ones and even a few of the smaller red ones.........also add some garlic and cumin........can even add a few very small chunks of carrot for color)

I wonder if it would benefit from darkening the peppers in a dry frying pan as is done with jalapenos?

Yes........try roasting the peppers over a fire......wood, charcoal, or gas burner........it will turn them black, hopefully. Then let cool and remove the black parts (can leave some on it). It really brings out a new smell and taste. This is the trick for making great chile rellenos, among other Mexican food items.