The Love Of Siam Movie

Jingthing

A very engaging and LONG new Thai movie of quite decent quality.

I would recommend it. It is a story of youth and a story of family, loss, Thai pop boy bands, and young love all set to the tune of some catchy Thai pop. Part of the story involves a difficult love angle between two young men who were boyhood friends, but it is in no way a gay movie per se. A great thing about it is the clear and simple Thai used along with some popular slang; for those trying to pick up more modern usage Thai, this one is really a winner. VERY pretty people on the screen of both sexes as you would expect. All in all, a really sweet movie that will make you feel good things about pretty people and Thailand.

http://www.theloveofsiam.com/

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...
Part of the story involves a difficult love angle between two young men who were boyhood friends, but it is in no way a gay movie per se.

http://www.theloveofsiam.com/

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "not a gay movie per se". I think it is TOTALLY a gay movie. It also happens to be a poignant family drama as well. But the gay relationship/love story forms the heart of the film and drives the action.

It is a very moving and well-constructed film. And while it is long it only drags at a couple of points. It is not over-long for the story it is trying to tell.

Its a mass market commercial movie with a love story that HAPPENS to have a gay element. It would not be classified as a gay movie per se by the industry. That doesn't say it doesn't have a great appeal to gay audiences. But I can assure you most of the audience in Thailand for it will not be gay. A real gay movie usually gets a mostly gay audience. The Bangkok Post review didn't mention gay once. Kind of proves my point.

But then again, IF this film is released internationally (I am betting it won't) it probably would be morphed into a gay film for that market, because that would be the main selling point internationally (not much demand for Thai pop outside Thailand).

(Shouldn't the two Love of Siam threads be merged?)

Edited by Jingthing

Friends of mine went to see it last week and walked out half an hour later. What's a disappointment, they told over the phone. I didn't question why as I had not seen it, didn't want it's spoiled before I checked it out (the other day).To be honest, with loads of comedies and horror Thai films out now I have lost interest watching it for years. But, again, well, why not to support Thai film for a change, hopefully it won't be so bad (this time, this film).

It is quite true that love is very controversial topic that people and all walk of life can get into. Directed by Chukriet Sakveerakhul, this film is keenly told about the love stories in different aspects; from different ages, viewpoints etc. It seems that it's just the mundane cliche of making such kind of film but making this ordinary thing to be extraordinary is quite difficult. Of course, this flick ends up with the big success.

The aspect that has people talking is a gay love story, albeit a squeaky clean one, full of the wild-eyed innocence of teenage puppy love. It just happens these pups are boys.

And, with a Catholic family at its centre, The Love of Siam is probably the first Thai Christmas movie, and was actually filmed nearly a year ago, to capture the actual lights and sounds of the festive season around Siam Square. Movie's ambiance that is filled with the moment of hope and beginning. That is perfectly suites with breeze that brings cool and nice moment of Bangkok.

I agree the Catholic aspect is in some ways more "shocking" than the gay puppy love part. Who expects to see Thai Catholics in a mainstream Thai pop movie? The director is brilliant for playing with different surprising elements and packaging it all so slickly, yet still with lots of substance. And I am a bit of a sucker for Thai bubble gum music, and if you like that stuff, it ain't bad bubble gum music.

Edited by Jingthing

The aspect that has people talking is a gay love story, albeit a squeaky clean one, full of the wild-eyed innocence of teenage puppy love. It just happens these pups are boys.

And, with a Catholic family at its centre, The Love of Siam is probably the first Thai Christmas movie, and was actually filmed nearly a year ago, to capture the actual lights and sounds of the festive season around Siam Square. Movie's ambiance that is filled with the moment of hope and beginning. That is perfectly suites with breeze that brings cool and nice moment of Bangkok.

Those two paragraphs are lifted directly from The Nation's review.

• 3 months later...

I had just seen this movie and I was quite happy with this movie.

It actually rewaken the long yearning for innoncent love in me!

I don't speak or understand Thai, but I was happy with the English subtitle. I do have severals things I am not clear on:

1. Why did Tang leave the family?

2. Why did Tang continue to mislead her family (until she left the picture of her and her

parents)?

3. Near the end of the movie, Tong told his GF that he longer wanted to be with her.

Then he met with Ying to see Mew. I thought Tong and Mew would reunite and

explore their love. However, why did Tong say to Mew, "I can't be your BF, but

that doesn't mean I don't love you"?

Is it because of Tong's commitment to his mother by needing to be married and

have kids?

And my final question is: "Will there be Love of Siam II?"

:o

• 1 month later...
I had just seen this movie and I was quite happy with this movie.

It actually rewaken the long yearning for innoncent love in me!

I don't speak or understand Thai, but I was happy with the English subtitle. I do have severals things I am not clear on:

3. Near the end of the movie, Tong told his GF that he longer wanted to be with her.

have kids?

And my final question is: "Will there be Love of Siam II?"

:o

I have the same unease about this movie. Maybe thats why it wasnt announced as a gay movie.. simply because Tong isnt. Maybe he was never gay but got as far as to kiss Mew. But then again, doesnt that make him gay... i thought the whole point of having the girl take Tong's hands and put it on her bewbs was to make that point(maybe not the best way, but i thought that was the point).

Why would the producers make him say the line "i can't be your boyfriend". As ambigous as that statement is, it doesnt say if he NEVER wants to be his boyfriend or that he WANTS to be his boyfriend, at any rate, it could have been to pander to the Catholic point of view. Like his mother said... it just isn't right, you'll come to know that in time. Maybe he finally realized it was 'wrong' to have a boyfriend but it was ok to love(*shrug). Which, in essence, for me is purely contradicting. The only reason one has a boyfriend, imo, is because you love him like i thought they were mutually lovign each other. I hope they make love of Siam II to clear that up. Otherwise i have no reason to buy this movie with such an ambigous and pathetic ending. THREE HOURs for THAT... srsly.

After that discussion with his mother and her saying 'you choose'(or something like that), and after leaving Donut and rushing and looking face to face(to Mew) with a smile at the concert. And after buying him the nose. I thought the only logical or consequential action would have been that Tong and Mew go racing at each other and KISS.. passionately...(considering all the time they were distant from each other).

I will keep searchign to see if the directors answered the reason why they made such an ending without a direct explanation. Could he have said it because he wanted to take care of his alcholic dad(now that Tang wasnt going to be around) after all she did say more than once to take care of each other? Could it have been, like you stated, that he was committed to what his mother wanted from him, and THAT was HIS choice? Could it have been that he simply found it in his heart and realized that it was wrong? Could it have been that he simply had no idea what boyfriend meant and would later on get back with Mew? or was there some other reason to such a non-sequitor statement?

Edited by leojboby

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In response to this:

have kids?

Here's my take on the ending:

Remember when Mew asked Ying for the meaning of the Chinese verse, which turned out to be, " As long as there's love, there's hope."

Now, all throughout the story, we see that Tong's family is going through a major crisis where every member is burdened and affected. It's bad enough that Tong is going through puberty and confused, he also have to carry on these baggages.

Now given those scenes, think what will happen if Tong (full of emotional baggage) suddenly jump in to a relationship with Mew? That relationship will surely crumble in no time.

Tong saying that "I can't be with you as your boy friend but it doesn't mean I don't love you." Might be the director's way of hinting that they will be together. Tong is just needs time to fix his emotional baggages, his family problems, and figure things out for himself before he can be with Mew. This way, when the time comes that he decideds to finally get tied with Mew, it will be a clean slate and will ensure that their relationship will have a better chance of lasting.

Others will argue that it could be that Tong is simply straight and doesn't share the same feelings Mew have for him; I disagree because:

1) All throughout the film we see how he's in love with Tong.

2) He didn't need to lip-lock with mew but he did.

3) The scene where he had to make a choice between a Santa Clause (male) or a doll (female), and he choose the Santa Clause is an obvious metaphor that he wants to live an alternative lifestyle.

4) Tong's final dialogue with Donut is simply ending his relationship with her with no hint of love. If he was truly straight, he would never break up with her or the very least, would hint that he still has love for her.

• 1 year later...

If you need more convincing this film is worth the time, check out the review now on Bangkok Post online, realtime section:

'The Love of Siam' aspires to be many things at once, and it succeeds at most

I agree..this is the best movie i watched t this time..hoping there will be a part 2

If you need more convincing this film is worth the time, check out the review now on Bangkok Post online, realtime section:

Should I buy a ticket? :unsure:

Should I buy a ticket? :unsure:

Not in theaters.

No I think you need to buy a DVD or the other thing that people do here, wink wink nod nod.