Do You Hear The Word Farang Used By Thais In A Derogatory Way?

Jingthing

Do you hear the word Farang used by Thais in a derogatory way?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really an obsession with you isn't it?

Not at all, but I think it might be one with you if you voted never.

Another poster insisted that is was not often used in a negative way, so I thought we might learn something with this poll.

Edited by Jingthing

Most of the time that drunken farang have puked on some poor Thai schoolboy and pissed in a blackout on the local spirit house, they are probably right in their perception that the word "farang" is being used along with all the other words being uttered in a derogatory manner. For the rest of us, "farang' holds no weight in either direction.

We should add a second question “How many people actually speak enough Thai to be able to tell" My guess would be less than 10%, probably less than 5%.

Thats a fair point, but the other factor is how the way it is used makes us FEEL.

Personally, I do not like the feeling of walking down a strange street and hearning whispers of FARANG FARANG. The intent is not rudeness but the feeling is.

Edited by Jingthing

Pretend that the word "farang" means handsome and see if your sensitive feelings feel better!

Not a big deal.

The bigger deal I find is when I act like I don't understand any Thai and then some of the things I do hear, and understand, even with my lower level Thai.

BTW, people can vote never but I question the honesty of anyone who does. I think the majority will probably vote seldom. If this was a Pattaya poll, I think the majority would vote often, it is that kind of town.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the people who always, often or sometimes find that others are speaking derogatorily about them really should take a long hard look in the mirror. Those of you who find that others seldom speak derogatorily about you are free to take a quick glance in the mirror and go on with enjoying your day. Those of you who think that no one ever speaks derogatorily about you are definitely not listening hard enough.

I think the people who always, often or sometimes find that others are speaking derogatorily about them really should take a long hard look in the mirror. Those of you who find that others seldom speak derogatorily about you are free to take a quick glance in the mirror and go on with enjoying your day. Those of you who think that no one ever speaks derogatorily about you are definitely not listening hard enough.

Good point but I am talking about comments about FARANG not about me personally. You can live in rose coloured glasses land if it pleases you, but sometimes people do indeed act like shitzzzz. Most countries in the world don't maintain armies for the pretty uniforms.

Edited by Jingthing

555 Jingthing, you are a bloody scientist instead of a comedian now. Trying so hard in your lab just to prove the negativeness of the word "farang". You won't get quality results here. Try doing a poll on the Thames newspaper for better results.

I am not trying to prove that farang isn't a neutral word. I think it is. Just want to see what people have experienced with the USE of it in real life here. i agree this poll cannot be scientific, but on the plus side, only one vote allowed per user, so it could be worse.

Most of us use the word "farang" in a negative way from time to time as we see these farang around Thailand doing the most disgusting and despicable things. Most of us, however, don't have hordes of Thais following us around yelling "farang go home" or any other negative comments. A little self-reflection is in order.

I don't get this, Jingthing. You've already admitted that fewer than one in twenty people speak Thai well enough to have an informed opinion and that for the others any negative feelings which do arise are based on their own (mis)perceptions about the meaning of the word, not the meaning of the word as it is understood by Thai speakers. What can this stupid poll possibly accomplish? What do you plan next, a poll on Serbo-Croat expletives?

As a fluent Thai (Issan)/Laotian speaking American I can assure you that the word "Farang" is generally not used in a derogative manner. What's kind of funny is that the actual meaning of Farang (Fa-lung) really means "French person". When Thai/Lao people are speaking amongst themselves it's meaning then changes to a "Caucasian" person... and NOT in a derogative way. Thai/Lao don't call Caucasians "White people" in the Thai language, rather Farang as a blanket term for all Caucasian European/American/Austrailian etc. Many seem to think Farang means "foreigner" and it really doesn't... but when you think about it, if you're a Caucasian person in Southeast Asian country... you're probably a foreigner in most cases so sometimes Farang is used to mean that. Kohn tahng pa-thet (person from another country) is the closest thing I can think of that means "foreigner"... Farang is much simpler to use.

Farang would be just like using "Black" when speaking of a person of African decent... Black is not derogatory as opposed to the "N" word. As far as I know Thai/Lao people don't have a derogatory word for a Caucasian person. When a Thai/Lao person sees a Black American they don't call them Farang (as foreigner)... they would say "kohn dahm" for "black person".

I hope I described this well enough to clear up the confusion. :o

The final straw for me in my last relationship with a Thai person was when his sister referred to my Australian mate as 'farang kee nok' because, in her opinion, he didn't spend enough money on her.

Just hearing the word 'farang' in rural Thailand is not a problem for me as farangs are still a bit of a novelty. It's when we are bad-mouthed by Thais that I get annoyed - especially when it is undeserved.

Peter

BTW, people can vote never but I question the honesty of anyone who does. I think the majority will probably vote seldom. If this was a Pattaya poll, I think the majority would vote often, it is that kind of town.

If you've already decided that you don't believe the votes of people who vote in a particular way, what is the point of the poll? Havent you already decided the outcome, irrespective of how people vote?

Karl Popper would turn in his grave.

The final straw for me in my last relationship with a Thai person was when his sister referred to my Australian mate as 'farang kee nok' because, in her opinion, he didn't spend enough money on her.

Just hearing the word 'farang' in rural Thailand is not a problem for me as farangs are still a bit of a novelty. It's when we are bad-mouthed by Thais that I get annoyed - especially when it is undeserved.

Peter

So you ended a relationship with your friend because of remarks his sister made about a friend of yours? Are you in the habit of allowing relatives of your partners to ruin your relationships?

Most of the time that drunken farang have puked on some poor Thai schoolboy and pissed in a blackout on the local spirit house, they are probably right in their perception that the word "farang" is being used along with all the other words being uttered in a derogatory manner. For the rest of us, "farang' holds no weight in either direction.

So you think most farangs, apart from you of course, are drunken bums that puke up on Thai schoolboys and p1ss on spirit houses. You really ought to be a bit more selective in your choice of social partners. But all elements settle to their natural level according to their density don't they?

Personally I don't, in general, find the word farang derogatory but it depends on the context in which it is used and the tone of the voice. It might be just the fact that, working in the construction business (oil & gas), life has made me extremely thick skinned. Plus I always look for the good in people, the bad all too often is there to see but in all folk there is a shaft of sunlight it only takes an open mind to find it.