Whats Your Favorite Local Fruit?

sbk

No poll, too many to list.

I love mangosteens and lamyai. Mangoes come a close 3rd.

Don't like durian but my dad loves the stuff (of course, he also eats stinky limberger cheese so anything is possible with that man!)

whats your favorite?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a boring answer, but my fave is the good old pineapple.

yes, thaddy but which kind of pineapple do you like? The rounder fat kind (seems to be a local type) or the smaller less sweet one (my husband calls them Phuket pineapples)?

Is favorite the same as you eat everyday? I don't think so.

Everyday fruits: oranges and bananas

Top favorite: durian

Favorite fruits: green mango, ripe mango, mangosteen, lumyai, lychee, pomelo

Fruits I find disturbing: snake fruit, dragon fruit

Edited by Jingthing

Have you ever wondered why Thai people are so healthy looking ? One answer could be because they eat such a great variety of amazing fruit.

Of all the different kinds of Thai fruit perhaps the most exceptional is the Mangosteen. Beneath the thick deep purple skin is a multi-sectioned cluster of tender white fruit that literally melts on your tongue. Mangosteen are in season from April to September.

In May, one month after mangosteen comes into season, the curious looking Rambutan joins the fray. This red fruit is covered with scores of green tendrils and inside is an oval chunk of cool and refreshing white succulent fruit.

Jackfruit is the largest fruit in Thailand and shares the same season as rambutan. When removed from its giant casing this tangy fruit looks like little bags of gold.

Another Thai fruit known for it's size - but more so for its smell - is Durian and this comes into season from May to July. The fruit is extremely rich and nutritious although it should not be consumed with alcohol as this causes the body to dangerously overheat.

Papaya is another fruit with a curious taste and most people squeeze a bit of lime over it to help counter the bitter flavour. Known in Thai as malagar, papaya contains lots of vitamin C and is easily identified by its dark-green skin and its deep-orange flesh. Papaya is also a good food to help settle an upset stomach because it contains a natural digestive enzyme.

Pomelo (som-oh) is also available throughout the year and resembles a grapefruit in both looks and flavour. The skin of the pomelo is so thick that about half the weight of the fruit is discarded by the time the inside fruit is reached. This fruit, like a grapefruit, is made up of hundreds of individual capsules bursting with a juicy vibrant flavour. Som-oh is found in many Thai salads most notably those from northern Thailand.

Noi na or custard apple practically grows wild. The bulbous skin of the apple is easily broken open to reveal a creamy white inside fruit concealing numerous black pips. The flavour is a cross between pineapple and fresh strawberries.

Chom-phoo or rose apple is a succulent and crisp fruit and is eaten in much the same way as a regular apple. The fruit gets its name from the delicate rose fragrance that emerges when eaten. Originally from India, the rose apple always has three seeds inside.

La-mood or sapodilla has earned a special place in the hearts of most Thais and the rich, dense fruit tastes like brown sugar and figs.

Ma-karm or tamarind is another Thai favorite. It looks like an overgrown green bean and is usually used to make delicious sauces.

Farang or guava is best eaten when young. The locals jazz this fruit up by dipping it into a sugar and red chilli mix. It's eaten skin and all.

Mamuang or green mango resembles a kidney-shaped peach. Ripe and unripe mangoes have widely different tastes and while an un-ripe mango tastes bitter, a ripe one tastes somewhere between an apricot and a pineapple. Ripe mangoes can be found in one of Thailand's most famous after dinner treats - mango with sticky rice !

Ma Phrao or coconut. The green coconut contains a sweet and very refreshing tasty watery liquid and a thin jelly like layer of delicious coconut skin.

No poll, too many to list.

I love mangosteens and lamyai. Mangoes come a close 3rd.

Don't like durian but my dad loves the stuff (of course, he also eats stinky limberger cheese so anything is possible with that man!)

whats your favorite?

Mangosteen

From the garden where we live southwest of Khampaeng Phet

pineapples

jackfruit (not so much)

pomelo

noi na

chomphoo

farang really nice cold from the fridge but the pips get under my dentures

ma muang (the yellow ones)

bananas

we tried growing cantaloupe melons from the seed one year but the dogs got into the garden before they were very big

we have coconuts but I don't like them

plus we also have a village market daily and 3 bigger ones on Monday afternoons, Wednesday morning and Saturday afternoon

Chom-phoo or rose apple is a succulent and crisp fruit and is eaten in much the same way as a regular apple. The fruit gets its name from the delicate rose fragrance that emerges when eaten. Originally from India, the rose apple always has three seeds inside

Love it.

yes, thaddy but which kind of pineapple do you like? The rounder fat kind (seems to be a local type) or the smaller less sweet one (my husband calls them Phuket pineapples)?

The rounder fat kind SB (this only applies to fruit :o )

Second choice would be Mangosteen and I do enjoy the sliced papaya , but only with the spicy dip.

//edit/spolling

Edited by Thaddeus

I love those small pineapple you find North of Chiang Mai and red bananas found in Mae Hong Song Province. Those small finger bananas are good also. But my favorite must be big rambutans. I like the way they pop open and are so juicy and sweet.

*j*

I love those small pineapple you find North of Chiang Mai and red bananas found in Mae Hong Song Province. Those small finger bananas are good also. But my favorite must be big rambutans. I like the way they pop open and are so juicy and sweet.

*j*

Red Banana? :o Never seen. This is interesting. Any pic to share?

There are other fruits that pop open and are just juicy and sweet! :D Like the way you describe it though.

The hometown favorite... whose name they actually went to the trouble of trademarking...

Sriracha20Pineapple20web.jpg

Sriracha Pineapple

Availability: all year round

"Sriracha Pineapple" - Registered, 23 June 2006. Registration No. Sor Chor 49100008

Definition

Sriracha pineapple refers to the Pattavian (Smooth Cayenne) pineapple cultivated in 8 districts

of Chonburi province; namely: Sriracha, Bang Lamung, Bor Thong, Nong Yai, Ban Bung, Sattahip,

Panatnikom districts and Koh Chan sub-district.

Characteristics of Product

(1) Pineapple Variety: Pattavia

(2) Physical Characteristics

- fruit oblong and rounded with pointed crown, weighs between 1.5 and 3.5

kilograms, has short stem and large core

- fruitlets rather shallow, black and flat; when ripe, the fruitlets turn darkish black and

shiny; when fully ripe, the lower portion of the fruit turns yellowish to orangy

green, depending on the seasonal sunlight.

- skin darkish green in color for unripe fruits and yellowish to orangy green for ripe

fruits

- flesh delicate in texture, yellow in color but will become darker in the hot season

- taste juicy sweet, high water content, sweet aroma; sweetness measures between

13 – 19 Brix

:o:D

*j*

Red Banana? :o Never seen. This is interesting. Any pic to share?

There are other fruits that pop open and are just juicy and sweet! :D Like the way you describe it though.

Sorry, no pics....But you might be able to ask around for "Gluay Dang" or "Gluay Mae Hong Song". The skin is a rose color between deep pink and yellow. The taste of it is a little tart but is very tasty. It's sort of a short stubby fruit. If your ever in the Northwest i'm sure you will see them from time to time. Hope you understand my Thai.

As far as fruits that go "pop" ever see those black nuts or seeds they roast in the hot sand........lol. Not sure what they are called.

I do get your joke...lol

*j*

Edited by Chung noi

Star fruit (Ma-phuang), also called carambola, is a star-shaped fruit that has a subtle, citrusy flavor. I have never seen it anywhere in bkk's supermarket or even some fresh local market but I'm sure out there up country there are plenty of it :o

starfruitx.jpg

But but but .. take a look at this fact.

Star fruit causes several symptoms in patients with chronic renal failure or end-stage renal disease. The symptoms vary and include insomnia, intractable hiccups, agitation, muscle weakness, confusion, consciousness disturbances of various degrees, seizures, and cardiorespiratory arrest. The various star fruit subspecies contain different toxins, including a powerful neurotoxin that is suspected to accumulate in blood, cross the blood-brain barrier in chronic renal failure patients, and eventually cause irreversible damage.

Star fruit intoxication is a neglected but serious fruit intoxication frequently observed in patients with chronic renal failure. Because no effective treatment is currently available, patients— especially those who are newly diagnosed with chronic renal failure or end-stage renal disease—must be warned not to ingest star fruit, even in small amounts.

I have just asked my wife what this fruit is and she tells me it is Star fruit (Ma-phuang).

At the moment they are green with a lot of yellow ones and they are literally dropping off the tress the same as the papayas which we mostly feed to the fish. We just can't eat them all.

:D:o

oh a buddhist POV, i thought they arent for sale in thailand because thailand is a buddhist country and starfruit to chinese buddhists, represent the bodhi fruit aka the heart. thats why i thought its the reason why i cant find it in thailand :o

oh a buddhist POV, i thought they arent for sale in thailand because thailand is a buddhist country and starfruit to chinese buddhists, represent the bodhi fruit aka the heart. thats why i thought its the reason why i cant find it in thailand :o

ripe yellow mango and chompoo .have both in my garden .

Have you ever wondered why Thai people are so healthy looking ? One answer could be because they eat such a great variety of amazing fruit.

Of all the different kinds of Thai fruit perhaps the most exceptional is the Mangosteen. Beneath the thick deep purple skin is a multi-sectioned cluster of tender white fruit that literally melts on your tongue. Mangosteen are in season from April to September.

In May, one month after mangosteen comes into season, the curious looking Rambutan joins the fray. This red fruit is covered with scores of green tendrils and inside is an oval chunk of cool and refreshing white succulent fruit.

Jackfruit is the largest fruit in Thailand and shares the same season as rambutan. When removed from its giant casing this tangy fruit looks like little bags of gold.

Another Thai fruit known for it's size - but more so for its smell - is Durian and this comes into season from May to July. The fruit is extremely rich and nutritious although it should not be consumed with alcohol as this causes the body to dangerously overheat.

Papaya is another fruit with a curious taste and most people squeeze a bit of lime over it to help counter the bitter flavour. Known in Thai as malagar, papaya contains lots of vitamin C and is easily identified by its dark-green skin and its deep-orange flesh. Papaya is also a good food to help settle an upset stomach because it contains a natural digestive enzyme.

Pomelo (som-oh) is also available throughout the year and resembles a grapefruit in both looks and flavour. The skin of the pomelo is so thick that about half the weight of the fruit is discarded by the time the inside fruit is reached. This fruit, like a grapefruit, is made up of hundreds of individual capsules bursting with a juicy vibrant flavour. Som-oh is found in many Thai salads most notably those from northern Thailand.

Noi na or custard apple practically grows wild. The bulbous skin of the apple is easily broken open to reveal a creamy white inside fruit concealing numerous black pips. The flavour is a cross between pineapple and fresh strawberries.

Chom-phoo or rose apple is a succulent and crisp fruit and is eaten in much the same way as a regular apple. The fruit gets its name from the delicate rose fragrance that emerges when eaten. Originally from India, the rose apple always has three seeds inside.

La-mood or sapodilla has earned a special place in the hearts of most Thais and the rich, dense fruit tastes like brown sugar and figs.

Ma-karm or tamarind is another Thai favorite. It looks like an overgrown green bean and is usually used to make delicious sauces.

Farang or guava is best eaten when young. The locals jazz this fruit up by dipping it into a sugar and red chilli mix. It's eaten skin and all.

Mamuang or green mango resembles a kidney-shaped peach. Ripe and unripe mangoes have widely different tastes and while an un-ripe mango tastes bitter, a ripe one tastes somewhere between an apricot and a pineapple. Ripe mangoes can be found in one of Thailand's most famous after dinner treats - mango with sticky rice !

Ma Phrao or coconut. The green coconut contains a sweet and very refreshing tasty watery liquid and a thin jelly like layer of delicious coconut skin.

:o

Mangosteen and Rambutan are always favorites. I also liked the canned Rumbutan (often from Malaysia) that are stuffed with Pineapple.

Jackfruit is another of my loves.

I also admit to being a Durian lover.

Good ripe juicy sweet Pineapple. Once in Vietnam, while I was in the military, we were filling sandbags (hot and dirty work) when a vendor came by with a cart full of pineapple on ice. She never made it to the market, as the 6 G.I.'s bought out her whole supply. Cool, sweet, pineapple.

The Noi Na or Custard Apple is good, but you can keep the Cham-poo Rose Apple.

Good cool Coconut Milk (fresh) is also something I love.

:D

Favorite Thai fruit? Gosh... an easier and shorter answer would be "which Thai fruit DON'T you like?"

Absolute favorites are Longan, jackfruit, dragon fruit, coconut, mango, and farang (with the sugar/chilli mix) Asian pears (large and well chilled) are way up there too.

post-51325-1197318007.jpg

post-51325-1197317838_thumb.jpg

Red banana : กล้วยกุ้ง, กล้วยนาก, กล้วยแดง

kloi koong, kloi nark or kloi dang

Starfruit is not really a popular fruit for sell but more as a home garden fruit just like mayom.

My top one is durian...very tasty! And any fruits is fine but not so much on mangosteen.