Leaving On The Last Visa Expiry Date

Hi All,

My visa tourist visa runs out on the 10th December and I plan to go to Laos to get a new one. My question is, if I leave Thailand on the 10th (going accross the friendship bridge on Monday morning) will I be OK or will they hit me for 500 baht fine?

I know its cutting it fine!

Thanks

Believe most allow you to depart on the day stamped rather than require you do it before. You are aware the 10th is a holiday so the Embassy will not be open.

Thanks for the reply, I did not know about the holiday. Is this holiday in Thailand or Laos?

I ask as I may now go to Penang, or will the embassy be closed on Monday there as well?

Thanks

Believe most allow you to depart on the day stamped rather than require you do it before. You are aware the 10th is a holiday so the Embassy will not be open.

Thanks for the reply, I did not know about the holiday. Is this holiday in Thailand or Laos?

I ask as I may now go to Penang, or will the embassy be closed on Monday there as well?

Thanks

It`s a Thai holiday.

Constitution Day. So Penang will be closed also.

The visa expiry date is about entering Thailand, not leaving. If it says “this visa must be utilized before 10 DEC 2007” you must enter Thailand not later than 09 DEC.

It is the date on the entry stamp that is about leaving Thailand. If it says “admitted 12 OCT 2007 until 10 DEC 2007” you must leave Thailand at the latest on 10 DEC. If an immigration officer gives you an overstay fine when you leave on 10 DEC, he is abusing his authority.

--

Maestro

I've always found that peculiar, on all my entry stamps it says "until", but on every

extension I've ever gotten there is different wording. "Up to", "Within the date",

"Not later than". I'm pretty sure it's as Astral says, through the 23rd hour on the

date stamped before hel_ freezes over or you go into some kind of overstay. :o

Edited by cali4995