The Fa Cup Thread

mrbojangles

Well, the FA Cup proper has been drawn. Any upsets? What do you think?

Preston v Scunthorpe

Port Vale/Chasetown v Cardiff

Colchester v Peterborough

Bolton v Sheffield United

Blackburn v Coventry

Brighton v Mansfield

Northampton/Walsall v Millwall

Charlton v West Brom

Watford v Crystal Palace

Luton/Nottingham Forest v Liverpool

Plymouth v Hull

Aston Villa v Manchester United

Tranmere v Hereford

Tottenham v Reading

Burnley v Arsenal

Bristol City v Middlesbrough

Fulham v Bristol Rovers

Huddersfield v Birmingham

Horsham/Swansea v Havant & Waterlooville

Sunderland v Wigan

Oxford/Southend v Dagenham & Redbridge

Everton v Oldham

Derby v Sheffield Wednesday

Southampton v Leicester

West Ham v Manchester City

Ipswich v Portsmouth

Wolves v Cambridge

Barnsley v Blackpool

Chelsea v QPR

Stoke v Newcastle

Swindon v Burton Albion/Barnet

Norwich v Bury

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the FA Cup proper has been drawn. Any upsets? What do you think?

Preston v Scunthorpe

Port Vale/Chasetown v Cardiff

Colchester v Peterborough

Bolton v Sheffield United

Blackburn v Coventry

Brighton v Mansfield

Northampton/Walsall v Millwall

Charlton v West Brom

Watford v Crystal Palace

Luton/Nottingham Forest v Liverpool

Plymouth v Hull

Aston Villa v Manchester United

Tranmere v Hereford

Tottenham v Reading

Burnley v Arsenal

Bristol City v Middlesbrough

Fulham v Bristol Rovers

Huddersfield v Birmingham

Horsham/Swansea v Havant & Waterlooville

Sunderland v Wigan

Oxford/Southend v Dagenham & Redbridge

Everton v Oldham

Derby v Sheffield Wednesday

Southampton v Leicester

West Ham v Manchester City

Ipswich v Portsmouth

Wolves v Cambridge

Barnsley v Blackpool

Chelsea v QPR

Stoke v Newcastle

Swindon v Burton Albion/Barnet

Norwich v Bury

Villa to beat Utd

Bury to get something out of the Norwich game

Ipswich to beat Portsmouth

Stoke to beat Newcastle :o

Torres & co put to the sword by a rampaging Forest outfit :o

Bangkok football beer night 4 ?????? :D

A very good idea, to tie the 4th one in the New Year in with the FA Cup. esp if Chavy's team is on.

A very good idea, to tie the 4th one in the New Year in with the FA Cup. esp if Chavy's team is on.

Yes definately.......oh bother :D I just wish it was legal to bet in the kingdom !! I would have a wager with scousemouse if he was up for it....mind you, all this is hypothetical of course :D

Yes definately.......oh bother :D I just wish it was legal to bet in the kingdom !! I would have a wager with scousemouse if he was up for it....mind you, all this is hypothetical of course :D

Now that is a teb I would definitely fancy :D

Now that is a teb I would definitely fancy :bah:

If it was legal you mean :D

Yes definately.......oh bother :D I just wish it was legal to bet in the kingdom !! I would have a wager with scousemouse if he was up for it....mind you, all this is hypothetical of course :bah:

Now that is a teb I would definitely fancy :bah:

If it was legal you mean :D

Having a teb is perfectly legal chav :o , as no-one knows what it is .... ( da vinci code at it's best :D )

• 5 weeks later...

Seems to me that the FA Cup is considered by many clubs as way down on their priorities.

League position and Euro competition progress is what is important.

If, for instance, Sunderland avoid relegation that is worth much more than even winning the FA Cup.

Right?

Edited by Zodiac

Well we had under 50% of our average league attendance for yesterday's FA Cup tie. That speaks volumes for the appeal of the FA Cup now.

Or it could have been that half of your supporters knew that Sunderland would lose and just couldn't be bothered turning up...... :o . :D

Well there was some surprises yesterday. That's what you gotta love about the FA Cup

Blackburn 1-4 Coventry

Bolton 0-1 Sheff Utd

Everton 0-1 Oldham

Huddersfield 2-1 Birmingham

I wouldn't have been surprised with the Bolton result even if we'd played the first team. The main surprise was that they didn't call my mum's and ask if I was available to play. :o

Seems to me that the FA Cup is considered by many clubs as way down on their priorities.

League position and Euro competition progress is what is important.

If, for instance, Sunderland avoid relegation that is worth much more than even winning the FA Cup.

Right?

Pretty much so. For Bolton only 3 first team regulars played - all of whom were substituted during the match. Financially Bolton need to stay in the Premiership to survive, and Europe is a bonus. While I like the Cups at the later stages, they only start getting interesting if you're down to the last 8 and mid-table in the league, with nothing else to play for.

Cost, cost and cost, is the reason. Why should a supporter of a prem league team want to stump up even more money to go and watch a lower league outfit play your team? However, I can understand the supporters of the lower league team wanting to go.

Man City, Man Utd and quite a few of the other prem teams took it seriously, as they put out very strong squads. Each club has it's own differinf priorities.

I still regard it as one of the best Cup competitions in England. Nay, the world :o

Did you see any of the games MrBJ ??

I thought Burnley, although much huffing & puffing, weren't really in the game rom the start. I thought they would've had a chance against a changed / weaker Arsenal outfit.

Luton on the other hand seemed threatening all the time against Liverpool. Considering their off field problems with admin & not being payed since October they gave a good account of L1.

I didn't see the Stoke game being on late but, judging by the score, they set themselves up not to lose the game.

I saw some of them Chavy. Stoke and Newcastle where pretty evenly matched but the Luton Liverpool game was quite good. I think the off field issues with Luton was enough to motivate their players, they're effectively in the shop window and playing for their lives.

Also, i believe they asked Liverpool if they could keep the gate reciepts as this would have stopped them going into administration. Liverpool said no (although i believe they let them have an "un-disclosed amount"). Maybe that got them going a bit as well.

I saw some of them Chavy. Stoke and Newcastle where pretty evenly matched but the Luton Liverpool game was quite good. I think the off field issues with Luton was enough to motivate their players, they're effectively in the shop window and playing for their lives.

Also, i believe they asked Liverpool if they could keep the gate reciepts as this would have stopped them going into administration. Liverpool said no (although i believe they let them have an "un-disclosed amount"). Maybe that got them going a bit as well.

would've been a good gesture by Liverpool to let them keep the gate reciepts. Luton's ground is hardly the biggest place & wouldn't have raised a massive amount. The return leg should give them a nice lump sum to keep them going though.