The Fa Cup Thread

mrbojangles

In that last Luton match, Benitez actually put out a stronger side than many Premiership sides. They just didn't play well. How about Everton? They lost and put out a "weak" side. People talking about Liverpool's rotating is overstated and has become a boring cliche. I often see Masefield harping on Liverpool so I think he just doesn't like them or Benetiz and has become biased.

Masefiled is a failed Liverpool apprentice, so I think he enjoys getting the digs in every now and again. He did play for giant clubs like Stocport and Exeter though, but he was <deleted> at that level as well. :o

Thanks for the the Masefield biography,Mr.T.but how did he get a job on ESPN with a CV like that?

To be honest OG, I have no idea. I can remeber him when he was playing at Exeter, as used to go up and watch a fair few games, but he generally was a pretty average player at that level and struggled to get in the team anyway. He had a smattering of Apearances for Birmingham, Preston and Stockport. I have a vague recollection that he played football in S'pore a few years back, and I'd imagine that is how he ended up with a job with ESPN. As for the standard of Football in S'pore, it has improved in the past 3/4 years, but going back when Mase would have been playing, it was truly shocking. In fact the standard was well below anything in the top 5 tiers of English football, during the first few years of the S-League, and I can't remeber him playing in S'pore, so that suggests the sort of impact he had there.

As for Jamie Reeeves, never a professinal footballer, but I beleive he played Semi - Pro for someone. PJ, played in S'pore and Australia, and Shebby played for a number of years in the Malaysian league.

As for McMahon, well I think we all know about his management credentials, or should we say lack of them.

Edited by mrtoad

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that last Luton match, Benitez actually put out a stronger side than many Premiership sides. They just didn't play well. How about Everton? They lost and put out a "weak" side. People talking about Liverpool's rotating is overstated and has become a boring cliche. I often see Masefield harping on Liverpool so I think he just doesn't like them or Benetiz and has become biased.

Masefiled is a failed Liverpool apprentice, so I think he enjoys getting the digs in every now and again. He did play for giant clubs like Stocport and Exeter though, but he was <deleted> at that level as well. :o

Thanks for the the Masefield biography,Mr.T.but how did he get a job on ESPN with a CV like that?

To be honest OG, I have no idea. I can remeber him when he was playing at Exeter, as used to go up and watch a fair few games, but he generally was a pretty average player at that level and struggled to get in the team anyway. He had a smattering of Apearances for Birmingham, Preston and Stockport. I have a vague recollection that he played football in S'pore a few years back, and I'd imagine that is how he ended up with a job with ESPN. As for the standard of Football in S'pore, it has improved in the past 3/4 years, but going back when Mase would have been playing, it was truly shocking. In fact the standard was well below anything in the top 5 tiers of English football, during the first few years of the S-League, and I can't remeber him playing in S'pore, so that suggests the sort of impact he had there.

As for Jamie Reeeves, never a professinal footballer, but I beleive he played Semi - Pro for someone. PJ, played in S'pore and Australia, and Shebby played for a number of years in the Malaysian league.

As for McMahon, well I think we all know about his management credentials, or should we say lack of them.

Talk about getting a lucky break in life. An average football (Masefield) players seeing out the last few days of his footballing career in Singapore. Next thing you know he's got a spot on ESPN as a football pundit. Lucky git!

I bet if he fell into a cesspit ,he'd come out wearing a silk top hat. :o

I've got nothing against Masefield personally because,after all,there are many good judges of football(Mourinho and Wenger as examples) that have never played at the highest level of the game.T he problem with him is that he's someone whose input into a football topic is no different than that of a reader of,say, the Daily Star.He never tells me something I DON'T know.

Bit of a shock last night Bristol beating Fulham on penalties.

Here are this weekends fixtures. All kick off times are UK. Any shocks in store?

Friday, 25 January 2008

Southend v Barnsley, R4, 19:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 26 January 2008

Arsenal v Newcastle, R4, 15:00

Barnet v Bristol Rovers, R4, 15:00

Coventry v Millwall, R4, 15:00

Derby v Preston, R4, 15:00

Liverpool v Havant and W, R4, 15:00

Mansfield v Middlesbrough, R4, 12:30

Oldham v Huddersfield, R4, 15:00

Peterborough v West Brom, R4, 15:00

Portsmouth v Plymouth, R4, 15:00

Southampton v Bury, R4, 15:00

Watford v Wolverhampton, R4, 15:00

Wigan v Chelsea, R4, 17:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, 27 January 2008

Hereford v Cardiff, R4, 12:30

Man Utd v Tottenham, R4, 14:00

Sheff Utd v Man City, R4, 16:00

At least half of the teams that qualify for the last 16 will be non Premiership teams. There a good chance that we could see another Millwall with a lower league team reaching the final without playing a Premiership side.

Yeah it's certainly a possibility Spit. Either way, whoever it is will be playing Man City in the final :o

Newcastle to beat Arsenal although it might take two visits.I'm relying on Adebeyor to hand out a few more 'Scottish kisses' before the game to even things up. :o Seriously though,I can see Newcastle sneaking it.

Can't see it, not at the Emirates anyway. But it depends who Arsene puts out. He usually takes the FA Cp more seriously than the league cup.

Raise your glass tonight MrBJ to Billy Deardens men when they take on Middlesborough, that village team in Yorkshire :o I'm looking forward to seeing a bit of Nottinghamshire for once :D

Would be nice to see a lower league team progress wouldn't it :D

At least either Oldham or Huddersfield will be in the next round.

Raise your glass tonight MrBJ to Billy Deardens men when they take on Middlesborough, that village team in Yorkshire :o I'm looking forward to seeing a bit of Nottinghamshire for once :D

Would be nice to see a lower league team progress wouldn't it :D

At least either Oldham or Huddersfield will be in the next round.

Hard luck Mansfield.

I watched it and to be honest they really rocked Middlesborough. Good effort.

Newcastle to beat Arsenal although it might take two visits.I'm relying on Adebeyor to hand out a few more 'Scottish kisses' before the game to even things up. :o Seriously though,I can see Newcastle sneaking it.

Can't see it, not at the Emirates anyway. But it depends who Arsene puts out. He usually takes the FA Cp more seriously than the league cup.

It turned out who Keegan put out.How can he play does deadweights Smith and Butt and expect to get a result?If this is an example of his team selection,I can see nothing but problems for Newcastle.

This is really, really, really my last contribution to this thread. Really :D

The Fifth round fixtures:

Bristol Rovers v Southampton

Cardiff City v Wolves

Sheffield United v Middlesbrough (come on the Blades) :D

Liverpool v Barnsley :D

Manchester United v Arsenal :o (come on the Gooners) :D

Preston v Portsmouth

Coventry City v West Brom

Chelsea v Huddersfield Town :bah: