Woman Mauled To Death By Two Dogs

sriracha john

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e

Dogs are not vermin, when i was younger my grand parents kept well over 100 English Foxhounds on there estate and not one of them ever harmed anyone.
I think the nearby fox population would disagree,.. :D

they needed all thos dogs to protect the chickens :o

She was going to feed horses with pork ribs? :o

My dog , about a year old now, very friendly with kids and never mean, barks out of fear sometimes I guess but doesn't bite, hides when she hears firecrackers, has developed a nasty habit of howling out of jealousy when I either approach or pet the local soi dogs or play with the kid next door. The kid can actually pet her and she licks and wags her tail, many kids on our street like to come and play with her at our doorstep, they give her old toys to chew on.

Our son will be born next month and should she ever show the slightest of aggressiveness out of jealousy, she's out of here.

I've seen it happen once with a trained drug sniffing Doberman and a mother picking up her newborn baby, not a pretty sight.

If someone feels an animal needs to be hit with a stick, do it once and hard enough so the dog can't bite back ever from doggie heaven or they'll get you back like they did to this woman.

With the birth of a child, especially when it is the first child, it is of utmost importance that you start training the dog way BEFORE s/he's born! If the child is the first child, the dog has gotten used to be the midpoint of the owner's attention before his/her arrival. With the arrival this will suddenly change with the dog not getting the attention when it wants, often getting shoo-ed away when the child is fed or when going out the child goes and the dog stays home. Walks, play etc. will be reduced a lot. This can result in jealousy towards the child as, in the dog's mind, the child gaines those privileges that before was all destined for the dog. Some dogs start protecting these privileges, which can be dangerous to the child.

Therefore, it is so important for future parents to start informing themselves on how to properly interact with the dog before and after the arrival of the child. Those who truely love their pet will do inform themselves, as the last thing they want is problems occurring, resulting in the dog having to be re-homed. When properly informing oneself and acting accordingly most problems can be prevented. Always remember that pervention is better than the cure.

On the pet forum this subject has come up already a few times. With some search those interested can find the threads. You can also always PM me (or click on my banner on the Chiang Mai forum for contact details) for advice.

Nienke

Not the direct owner...

Like most dogs in Thailand, no real direct owner, no real direct affection shown... they are just there.

Dogs in Thailand are very close to being wild, and when you throw in the fact these dogs were pit mix breeds....

Virtually all Thailand's strays are domestic dogs that have been discarded by inept, negligent / stupid owners. Thrown out and left to fend for themselves. Most of them can be rehabilitated and trained into becoming good family / house / guard dogs. All that is required is a bit of training and discipline on the part of the owner. - A commodity sometimes rarer than rocking-horse <deleted> here in LoS, but true nevertheless.

She was going to feed horses with pork ribs? :o

Yes, I caught that too ---very odd. She was going to feed and water the horses and dropped pork ribs. Doesn't really make sense unless she was going to have her dinner while the horses ate.

Sad--but it does sound like these dogs had little or no training or affection. Not a good combination with Pit Bull mixes.

Dogs are not vermin, when i was younger my grand parents kept well over 100 English Foxhounds on there estate and not one of them ever harmed anyone.

i'll bet there is a family of foxes out there somewhere that sees things differently.

Edited by t.s

Probably the best dog I ever had was a Great Dane, second best, and maybe one of the happiest spirited dog was a boxer.

I was surprised to read today that the boxer breed is on the list of "gaurd dog" breed on wicki.

She was a harmless thing, great looking physique, but over all a small boxer.

The Dane on the other hand, was a beauty. Had the head of a male Dane, in her best days weighed in probably around 160. Solid Blue with white under her paws, show quality really.

Oops back to topic....

I knew a family that had about 4 rot's and they new to stay away from them as they ate.....

What the crud? You the owner, do NOT adjust for a dogs mean personality. You teach that dog right quick that type of behavior is not tolerated, or there will be grave consequences.

teeching pitt buulls not to kill (or attack) is not an option sir.

If that was addressed to me.... I have to agree, and if you bothered to read my other posts, I stated that pits should be killed.

They are worse than guns. Guns are predictable, pits.... only thing pridictable is that they are unpredictable.

Been chased by a few, seen them used in gang areas back home as trophy killers.

I actually have a disdain for any attack dog, but Pits top the list.

Out of curiosity, when attacked by a dog (or two), what's the best way to fight back?

I would think pepper spray or a shot gun is about the best option.

Problem is, it is rarely a one on one situation with dogs. So if say you go for the throat, or eyes, or pull the ears .... it doesn't really matter because you will have another dog, crushing your crotch, or chewing on your face, neck etc.

When I was a boy, we raised English Springers Spaniels, bred them sold them etc. I once stepped into a dog fight to try to stop the situation with a big stick. I thought I was rambo... Any how jumped into the middle of the fight swining, ended haveing about 3-4 dogs on me at once. Funny thing is, I don't remember how it ended, I just know I got bit several times, and had to go to the hospital. Like I said I was a kid.

But the thing is, in my opinion the dogs were in a frenzy, much like sharks. They did not care who they were attacking and me hitting them with a stick only meant to them that I was joining in the frenzy. Any how, you get some powerful pits in a frenzy, and someone or something is going to die. They do not have a stop button.

i'll bet there is a family of foxes out there somewhere that sees things differently.

I think your right, but the numbers had to be kept down somehow. :o

Out of curiosity, when attacked by a dog (or two), what's the best way to fight back?

Depends what drives the dog to bite and if it's one dog or more.

If it's dominance aggression as, in the dog's mind, you are challenging it, the best thing is to stand completely still and avoid eye contact untill the dog has left.

If it's fear-aggression give the dog space to flee.

However, in case of an predatory attack, I'm really not sure what is best, as the dog's mind is (or dogs' minds are) set to kill. So it is you or the dog/s. Predatory aggression is the most dangerous form of aggression in the dog or any other animal species. One of the reasons why children should be taught to stand completely still (and avoid eye contact) when a strange dog approaches them instead of run and scream.

Nienke

<br />teeching pitt buulls not to kill (or attack) is not an option sir.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You're pretty clueless, aren't you? But you're not alone - so are all you guys who try to claim the high moral ground by taking 30 seconds to decide that elimination of the breed is the answer.

I would put good money that I could line up ten "fighting" dogs in front of you, and you wouldn't be able to pick out the "pitbull".

Do you even know what a "pitbull" is? Or have you been reading too many tabloids with pictures of rabid half breeds snarling at the camera?

I would also bet that you haven't spent any time around the bull breeds. These dogs don't grow up to attack people, they just happen to be very strong dogs that sometimes attract the wrong type of owners who encourage the bad behavior. You can ban the bull breeds if it makes you feel better, but you'll just see a load of idiots buying other big strong dogs and training them to bite people. There's plenty of other breeds to choose from...

<br /><br /><br />

You're pretty clueless, aren't you? But you're not alone - so are all you guys who try to claim the high moral ground by taking 30 seconds to decide that elimination of the breed is the answer.

I would put good money that I could line up ten "fighting" dogs in front of you, and you wouldn't be able to pick out the "pitbull".

Do you even know what a "pitbull" is? Or have you been reading too many tabloids with pictures of rabid half breeds snarling at the camera?

I would also bet that you haven't spent any time around the bull breeds. These dogs don't grow up to attack people, they just happen to be very strong dogs that sometimes attract the wrong type of owners who encourage the bad behavior. You can ban the bull breeds if it makes you feel better, but you'll just see a load of idiots buying other big strong dogs and training them to bite people. There's plenty of other breeds to choose from...

Best eliminate the lot then ! :o ,,. you are right in most cases as in my first post on this ,usually the dogs are reflecting the owners personality and training/or lack of,.there was a guy in my town that used to drive around town in a 4x4 with the windows open with 2 alsations barking there guts out at everyone,says it all really, i rememberd the guy from school and he was a renowned coward,.

<br /><br /><br />

Best eliminate the lot then ! :o ,,. you are right in most cases as in my first post on this ,usually the dogs are reflecting the owners personality and training/or lack of,.there was a guy in my town that used to drive around town in a 4x4 with the windows open with 2 alsations barking there guts out at everyone,says it all really, i rememberd the guy from school and he was a renowned coward,.

I would say that the dog's behaviour may reflect the owner's personality, but the choice (breed) of dog does not necessarily reflect on the owner. My father bred English bull terriers for many years (before I was born) and I have owned 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers myself. He loved the dogs and so did I, and no matter how bizarre this may seem to some people, neither of us were/are gun-toting, beer swilling tattooed hooligans waiting for an excuse to unleash our dogs on those who dared to cross us. We just loved the dogs and took care of them - they were great family dogs that never hurt anyone.

Very few dog owners around here walk their dogs on a leash in the park and they have to carry sticks along because of the mad soi dogs. You can't walk your dog, you can't jog or ride the motorcycle without having one of them chasing. I now wear running shoes when riding the motorcycle so I can get a better kick at them.

The dog problem goes along well with the road madness and a multitude of other problems zillions of people in office are either too lazy or stupid to take care of, even too busy with scams of their own.

The pit breed has decades upon decades of aggression bred into them, & I do know one when I see one, along with mixes.

I once was parked outside of a small convienient store, and I saw a pit in the back of a pick up truck. He was so angry and wanted to bite anyone that came near the truck. It was such a mean thing that it literally lunged at a person as they walked by. The dog lept out of the back of the truck.....

Trouble was, the dog was also tied to a short leash, fastened with a choke collar. The dog hung himself, right outside the store...

Darwinism in full gear.

Dogs do require training and some breeds (as well as some individuals in all breeds) are more aggressive than others. A good friend had two dogs, raised from puppies. One was as gentle as could be and the other was an absolute terror. He tried everything to settle the aggressive one down, but in the end had to medicate the dog when expecting guests or workers around the place.

Both were neutered by the way, but the more aggressive one this didn't work as well as it should have. I can only imagine what that animal would have been like if not neutered and with the wrong owner!

<br /><br /><br />

I would say that the dog's behaviour may reflect the owner's personality, but the choice (breed) of dog does not necessarily reflect on the owner. My father bred English bull terriers for many years (before I was born) and I have owned 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers myself. He loved the dogs and so did I, and no matter how bizarre this may seem to some people, neither of us were/are gun-toting, beer swilling tattooed hooligans waiting for an excuse to unleash our dogs on those who dared to cross us. We just loved the dogs and took care of them - they were great family dogs that never hurt anyone.

If only they were all like you john,. ive always had boxers,.i take them on like adopting a child, you get what you put in, they were beautiful dogs and i always went out of my way to assure people they were totally harmless ,and they were,.its how i wanted them,

Very few dog owners around here walk their dogs on a leash in the park and they have to carry sticks along because of the mad soi dogs. You can't walk your dog, you can't jog or ride the motorcycle without having one of them chasing. I now wear running shoes when riding the motorcycle so I can get a better kick at them.

The dog problem goes along well with the road madness and a multitude of other problems zillions of people in office are either too lazy or stupid to take care of, even too busy with scams of their own.

This is exactly why i dont have a dog in thailand ( and i really miss it ) a dog off a lead is at risk and a dog on a lead will feel insecure and scared when approached by others, .i feel id be fighting off other dogs on behalf of what ever dog i had so i have dismissed the idea,.i had one lunge at me when iwas riding my bike, i had shorts and flip flops on, it drew blood, so i went home got my dirt bike and put on my moto cross boots,i then went back and deliberatly got the dog close and gave him a size 10 in the ribs, tit for tat but i was pissed off,. they are a nuisance in most cases in thailand,.especially for us that want a dog as a pet,.

To me it is not whether or not a dog is an agressive breed. All critters can be made to be aggresive, usually as a reflection of the handlers low intelligence.

This difference with pit bulls is the frequency with which the victims end up dead or massively injured. Having a Pit bull its like letting a time-bomb wander around the playground. The likelyhood of a fatal attack by most other breeds is considerably decreased.