Absentee Owners

This is a first post so please forgive any errors; they are purely unintentional.

I've been looking at some property which seems to be abandoned. However, we know it's not. Is there a method to go to the Land Office and find out who owns the property ?

Thanks for your help.

This is a first post so please forgive any errors; they are purely unintentional.

I've been looking at some property which seems to be abandoned. However, we know it's not. Is there a method to go to the Land Office and find out who owns the property ?

Thanks for your help.

Good luck on this one. I tried to get a list of the land around my place and they said it was available for a fee. Never could find out what that fee was though. they did tell me that if i let them know which piece of land i was interested in then they would contact the owner for me. This means they would get a chance to negotiate a commission from the owner first.

As with many of these things, the best method is to befriend and hire an educated and respected Thai. They can do the research for you. In this situation the text book young teruk is not always the best person for the negotiations. The trick is knowing it can be done and then knowing who to speak to, and getting them to respond to you.

An example of this, a friend needed to purchase a block of land that was to part of a development, his trusted friend researched the property and found the owner. The friend then negotiated with the owner for the sale, including an exorbitant price. Upon reading that the land was being bought by a company with foreign directors, the owner stopped the sale saying "I don't sell to foreigners." No negotiations from there. The land was purchased eventually.

Go see the puyaiban of the nearest village. He will know whose land it is. If it's for sale , he'll know that too. If it isn't for sale, he'll usually contact the owner on your behalf. Most puyaiban I've contacted in this way have been generally very honest and forthcoming with what details they know.

I agree with Lannarebirth,

We've followed the Phu Yai Baarn route twice and both times its worked in our favour. Honest and prompt help.

I concur.

Also if you go to the local land registery office they can tell you who owns the Chanote's in a specific area. My wife asked when we bought a peice of land and they told us who had the adjoining Chanote's. Don't know if the Phu Yai baarn has that information to hand, especially if banks are holding them or have foreclosed?