Is Ed Visa Is The Best Solution For <50 Year Old Single Retirees?

Hello all,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I have deduced, for those of us whom meet the following criteria:

- wanting to live in LOS for at least 1-3 years

- below 50 years old

- not wanting to work/be under a work permit visa

- not wanting to marry a Thai national

....the easiest way to get a 1 year renewable visa is to enrol and pay a relatively small fee(approx$1000/yearly) to a Thai Language School. I believe there it is also a requirement to actually attend the school for a couple of hours a week, but not sure on this point.

Am I right with my hypothesis, and/or would you have any better suggestions for those that meet the aforementioned criteria?

Regards.

Rsee, let me paraphrase the above for increased clarity. If you're a cheap,

visa-running, ill-tempered, bad-mannered, undersirable, poorly educated

person then you'll join the rest of us pirates on our border runs. Ahoy!

And 1,000 USD does not "include everything". It is only the cost of 4 hours

per week of lessons. Visa fees, extension fees, costs for travelling to a

nearby consulate not included. I expect the amount of time required to

study per week to qualify for such a visa to be the next thing to change. :o

Edited by cali4995

ED visa is a good option is you are interested (1) also in learning Thai, if you keep getting non-O visas or tourist visas and do not mind doing visa runs they may cost you a little less in one year so for those not interested in Thai and on a tighter budget it can be a better option.

For some 1000 USD (including everything) is too much so they prefer the above mentioned ways of staying in the country. So I guess it depends on a person, we have been much criticized by those who believe we are charging too much for 180 quality lessons ( you can ask our students, we actually know how to teach Thai) offering them for 29,500 Baht but (2) let me know if there is a school that offers the same amount of lessons and does it cheaper than the Walen school.

Those who joined our school are happily learing Thai and are not having any visa problems as we are making sure everything is well taken care of. So far we have 100% record, nobody was refused a visa through our school. Hope we will have more people responding to this post.

Walen School, Mac

*1 As opposed to staying in the country under the pretence of studying?

*2 Sorry to pull, your chair from under you, Mac, but Bangkok Grace Poly (Lad Prao 112) offers 80 hours of Thai teaching for B6,000

Edited by Big A

Hello all,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I have deduced, for those of us whom meet the following criteria:

- wanting to live in LOS for at least 1-3 years

- below 50 years old

- not wanting to work/be under a work permit visa

- not wanting to marry a Thai national

....the easiest way to get a 1 year renewable visa is to enrol and pay a relatively small fee(approx$1000/yearly) to a Thai Language School. I believe there it is also a requirement to actually attend the school for a couple of hours a week, but not sure on this point.

Am I right with my hypothesis, and/or would you have any better suggestions for those that meet the aforementioned criteria?

Regards.

This is actually very close to my situation except I would really like to learn Thai. I will be in touch soon with a language school.

Why bother? Why not spend your time and money in a country that at least meets you half-way. The way the Thai immigration rules and regs are now, they effectively don't provide a way for people in your situation to stay here. Many other countries have interesting cultures and places to see (and boys and girls if that's your thing). Until Thailand gets it's act together I would just give it a pass.

You guys are of course, right. It all can get very wearisome. The "ED" visa

does look like a viable option for some. I suppose as a farang in the kingdom,

The hair on my back always goes straight-up when you begin researching these

things and so many businesses here seem to want to play revolving shell games

with the truth/facts. Just a little refreshing honesty would probably gain more

clients. Obtaining a multi-entry does seem like an advantage. There is absolutely

no telling what they will do concerning these extensions within the next year. :o

You guys are of course, right. It all can get very wearisome. The "ED" visa

does look like a viable option for some. I suppose as a farang in the kingdom,

The hair on my back always goes straight-up when you begin researching these

things and so many businesses here seem to want to play revolving shell games

with the truth/facts. Just a little refreshing honesty would probably gain more

clients. Obtaining a multi-entry does seem like an advantage. There is absolutely

no telling what they will do concerning these extensions within the next year. :o

there are other school choices... Takes doing some research and maybe a translator to sort things out... I myself get 1 year ED visa's in CM and total cost is about 20K baht including tuition, visa application and 4 border runs a year... No sorry not going to divulge my golden source but they are out there. It just takes some effort but they are out there and the govt likes money going into Thai education companies and institutions and not about to shutdown that industry.

there are other school choices... Takes doing some research and maybe a translator to sort things out... I myself get 1 year ED visa's in CM and total cost is about 20K baht including tuition, visa application and 4 border runs a year... No sorry not going to divulge my golden source but they are out there. It just takes some effort but they are out there and the govt likes money going into Thai education companies and institutions and not about to shutdown that industry.

20K per year is a very small investment. It sounds like you came on here to brag. People are posting here for info, not 'pie in the sky'.

20K per year is a very small investment. It sounds like you came on here to brag. People are posting here for info, not 'pie in the sky'.

no its real and okay maybe I am bragging but its my real personal experience. Hey if your too lazy to beat the bushes then don't blame me. 15K baht for non refundable school deposit, 4 k baht for 4 visa runs and 150 US (4 k baht) for the multi entry visa.. So sorry that would be about 23K baht... but anyway it's doable and probably better than I have done it... Even at walens 30K baht plus visa runs plus initial visa its on the order of 38K baht or a little over a $1200 US for 15 months... How bad is that really? I look at it like a costco or sams club membership... I am going to save a heck of a lot more than the membership cost over a year....Consider for a minute how much more your going to spend to marry your poo-ying. It's a bargain :-)

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

...5K baht for non refundable school deposit, 4 k baht for 4 visa runs and 150 US (4 k baht) for the multi entry visa...

And in Chiang Mai the cost of living is probably also lower than in Bangkok. Perhaps it is not quite fair to compare the cost of a service (Thai language classes) in Chiang Mai with that in Bangkok, but then Chiang Mai is not a bad place to live, I guess. Cleaner air, for all I know.

But, hey, with a multiple-entry non-Ed visa you are not tied to any one single place. No need for extensions of stay, with the correlated proof of attendance respectively letter from the Ministry of Education. You are free to go anywhere you like in Thailand, don’t have to attend classes if you don’t want to, can even leave and enter Thailand as often as you like for one whole year. Do a last visa run just before your visa expires and you get almost 15 months’ stay in Thailand out of your visa.

The only thing envious ThaiVisa members now have to figure out is how to get the multiple-entry non-Ed visa in the neighbourhood.

--

Maestro

no its real and okay maybe I am bragging but its my real personal experience. Hey if your too lazy to beat the bushes then don't blame me. 15K baht for non refundable school deposit, 4 k baht for 4 visa runs and 150 US (4 k baht) for the multi entry visa.. So sorry that would be about 23K baht... but anyway it's doable and probably better than I have done it... Even at walens 30K baht plus visa runs plus initial visa its on the order of 38K baht or a little over a $1200 US for 15 months... How bad is that really? I look at it like a costco or sams club membership... I am going to save a heck of a lot more than the membership cost over a year....Consider for a minute how much more your going to spend to marry your poo-ying. It's a bargain :-)

Why would you assume people are lazy just because they can't find the same deal you did?

You'd be better off not taking anything for granted, because I've heard that certain consulates have already stopped issuing one year ED visas with documents from certain schools. You could be next. Your cheap school may be one of those under the microscope.

Next time you go for one you may end up with a 90 day single entry.

Your attitude reminds me of the people who came on here not too many months ago bragging about 4 or 5 back-to-back TV's from Penang. Now look what has happened.

They don't want you. I have been in the same boat and found it kind of fun to play the game for a few years. Now the game is so stacked in the house's favor that you have to be a masochist to play it.

EXACTLY. It gets tired after a few years. I am in a similar situation (with some slightly unique variations). I will not go to the trouble and expense of doing some BS Ed-visa route. Why should anyone have to pay an extra US$ 1000 or more to attend or not attend some school program in order to stay in Thailand. Like I say, there are plenty of other decent places to live. I do enjoy my time in Thailand (though I now think I could be just as happy back in SF Bay Area and just come here for visits) but if there is no way for me to legally stay here I just as soon go back home.

Funny, I also own a small home here...I will either sell it or rent it out for a few years and return to live in it full-time when I turn 50.

Edited by jonniebkk

Why would you assume people are lazy just because they can't find the same deal you did?

You'd be better off not taking anything for granted, because I've heard that certain consulates have already stopped issuing one year ED visas with documents from certain schools. You could be next. Your cheap school may be one of those under the microscope.

Next time you go for one you may end up with a 90 day single entry.

Your attitude reminds me of the people who came on here not too many months ago bragging about 4 or 5 back-to-back TV's from Penang. Now look what has happened.

tropo its like anything in life.. apply more effort and wisdom and get better results... so yes inferior results equal inferior effort equals lazy... The amount of time effort I spent probably did not pay off because the difference between what I paid and would have to pay to go to Payap, CMU or Walen was not that great an amount.

Sure they could change the rules again. I got my last multi ED in Los Angeles in September 07. Absolutely no problem. I included a recent bank statement with a significant balance and they received the application at 2 pm via Fedex and shipped it out Fedex 90 minutes later. So far no sign of a cold shoulder from them. Remember the education system of Thailand is important to the Govt and longterm development. It's one of the last industries they want to damage. It's even a respectable industry at that. I am just a few years from age 50 when I could get a retirement visa.. Of course they could change all the rules. That's life... Anyway this thread is about what do you do if your under 50 and don't want to get married. If your willing to fork out some money and do some research then the ED visa is very viable.

Okay maybe my cheap school is under the microscope... Then don't worry about it. Just pay more to go to more established school. Let's say they only issue me a single next time. No problem doing 3 consecutive Tourist Visa's and then going home and reloading with a better school.

If you want to take the easier and more expensive route the Walen is decent at around $1200 for 15 months. If your under age 50 then 15 months gets you closer to a Non Imm O for retirement.

Just get a multi entry non immigrant visa and do border runs each 90 days. How painless is that ?

That's pretty useless advice. A multi entry non immigrant what?

Just get a multi entry non immigrant visa and do border runs each 90 days. How painless is that ?

very unhelpful cliche. As Tropo pointed out, care to elaborate??!

If people just get off thier butts and travel they get them pretty easily.. Currently issued in many consuls throughout the world to all nationalities of walk ins based on visiting friends and family.. It may change in the future but for now its fine.

I know someone who flew to Oz for a 4- 5 day break and returned with his 1 year at about 30k baht total (so he told me I havent checked his numbers, theres budget flights to oz apparently)..

I fail to see why so many keep trying to use TV's, getting ugly stamps, having so much hassle. Even costs more in the full year.

Why is that ?? You have a condition that makes it impossible to fly ???

Its a solution, its relatively easy, and it probably costs less than the 5 tourist visa's, the travel, and the 5x1900 extensions you need to do to get 15 months otherwise.. Plus you can come and go in the country as you please without needing to think about if you 'waste' an entry..

once again as helpful as a chocolate teapot. ty.

I think what he's trying to say, eek, is that anyone under the sun from Thailand can stroll into any old Aus consulate or embassy they please and get handed one of these infamous multi non o visas based on visiting "friends". I've always loved the concept of this option but wondering why the entire world doesn't do that. My guess is there has to be a reason. Find a thai consulate or embassy website where they mention this visa type or mention welcoming non residents to apply for visas of any kind. From what I gather, these consulates mainly serve residents of the countries of where they are located. What happens if you trip in down to Aus and end up with a single entry tourist? A nice waste of cash and time that would be. I'm always skeptical about believing things like "a friend of a friend got one" so anyone can.

Its a solution, its relatively easy, and it probably costs less than the 5 tourist visa's, the travel, and the 5x1900 extensions you need to do to get 15 months otherwise.. Plus you can come and go in the country as you please without needing to think about if you 'waste' an entry..

Actually your solution is pretty lame. There's no guarantee that a flight back to a person's home country will net that person a multi-O. I've heard numerous reports on here from people unable to obtain these magical 'O' visas. It's just not worth the risk of spending all that money to fly home.

Every now and then someone comes on here and talks about an elusive one year 'O' visa you can easily get for "visiting friends and family". Vague information is always offered along with insults to the rest of the visa run community for being lazy or stupid.

If a person is already planning a trip home, then of course it's worth a try. To make a special trip? No way!

I know someone who flew to Oz for a 4- 5 day break and returned with his 1 year at about 30k baht total (so he told me I havent checked his numbers, theres budget flights to oz apparently)..

You're trying to tell us that someone flew to Australia, had a 5 day vacation and got his 1 year visa all for a total of 30K? You believe that?

Actually your solution is pretty lame. There's no guarantee that a flight back to a person's home country will net that person a multi-O. I've heard numerous reports on here from people unable to obtain these magical 'O' visas. It's just not worth the risk of spending all that money to fly home.

Every now and then someone comes on here and talks about an elusive one year 'O' visa you can easily get for "visiting friends and family". Vague information is always offered along with insults to the rest of the visa run community for being lazy or stupid.

If a person is already planning a trip home, then of course it's worth a try. To make a special trip? No way!

I flew back to the UK in October, posted my passport to the consulate, and received it back in 3 days. The form was very simple - name, address, purpose of visit (visiting friends). They did not want to know any financial information, or anything about my personal situation, I merely had to sign a declaration stating that I have sufficient funds to repatriate myself if necessary. And this was the second one on the trot.

Maybe its different in other countries, but is soooooo simple in the UK that I cannot believe anyone would not do it. Cost £100 (about 7,000 baht). Yes there is the flight home, but I don't mind making the trip once every 15 months to see the my folks, and catch up with old friends.

I was a bit concerned with all the recent visa upheaval that they may not be so forthcoming, but nothing has changed, and hopefully won't for sometime, as I will need another 15 of these before I can apply for retirement extension

once again as helpful as a chocolate teapot. ty.

I think what he's trying to say, eek, is that anyone under the sun from Thailand can stroll into any old Aus consulate or embassy they please and get handed one of these infamous multi non o visas based on visiting "friends". I've always loved the concept of this option but wondering why the entire world doesn't do that. My guess is there has to be a reason. Find a thai consulate or embassy website where they mention this visa type or mention welcoming non residents to apply for visas of any kind. From what I gather, these consulates mainly serve residents of the countries of where they are located. What happens if you trip in down to Aus and end up with a single entry tourist? A nice waste of cash and time that would be. I'm always skeptical about believing things like "a friend of a friend got one" so anyone can.

Well why not email them and check first ?? Many of them will confirm before you even book your ticket.

Having done this for the last 4 years, I fail to see the problems. I actually do mine by international mail while I vacation in a 3rd country.. even better, and totally legit.

I didnt say to go home.. I said to go to a friendly consul worldwide and get one..

dont risk anything, mail the consul in advance and make all your questions laid out before booking.

Nothing vague about it, the known friendly consuls are listed all the time. Call the consul and ask them.

Whats this 'try' ?? And why 'home' ?? Simply find out where they are giving them.. and go there yourself.

Sure beats 15 months of hopping all around asia begging for more tourist visas.. Extending the 30 days.. Hoping not to get stamped 'dont come back' able to get driving licenses and vehicle ownership, easy bank accounts, etc etc etc.

For US people, I have gotten the impression getting a one year O for "visiting friends" is something you would expect NOT to be granted in the US.

Then dont go the US !!!

Sigh !!! What is it about this concept that people dont understand ?? Why is it they will think its perfectly fine to hop all around SE Asia to do this and compare online which of them is offering what options but the thought of spending that extra 5 hours on a plane to be in Brisbane where they get a much better option is a concept they totally dont grasp.

You're trying to tell us that someone flew to Australia, had a 5 day vacation and got his 1 year visa all for a total of 30K? You believe that?

Yes I think from memory he said his flight was 16k baht baht.. He was telling me about options on tiger and jetstar (one is direct now from phuket where he / I am cannot remember which).. The visa was a one day walk in and cost +- another 7k baht and he had perhaps 3 nights hotel costs.

I havent actually been online to check his numbers but they dont seem that far off ?? Where in this do you feel is so unbelievable. Perhaps his hotel fees were too low ??