Teaching/tutoring Math And Science

heybruce

Does anyone know how I can find a job teaching or tutoring math and science, preferably in the Chiang Mai area? I've been teaching English for six months and I enjoy it, but with degrees in Math and Engineering I don't feel like I'm teaching my area of expertise. I'm teaching to stay busy and useful; the pay is a small fraction of my retirement income, so I can be flexible on pay and hours. However I can also afford to be picky--I want to teach small classes of motivated students. I know there is a market for this kind of thing becauses some of my students are getting tutored in math, but I think these classes are arranged through their schools. I tried searching ThaiVisa but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions?

If your degree is in Math then you should be applying to International schools as a SUBJECT teacher. Assuming of course you are qualified to actually teach.

Private classes do tend to be obtained by word of mouth and experience in Thailand.

You say you have students who are being tutored privately in Math? Why don,t you ask them how they arrived at this?

Edited by Manchester

As Loaded has often said, and it applies especially to Chiang Mai, it's a matter of networking and word of mouth. One tutor quits and somebody new inherits her work. If the new tutor is good, it spreads through that ethnic grapevine (Thai, international school parents, Thai school, Japanese, etc.). Of course, tutoring won't get you an applicable work permit.

As somebody has suggested, try to get a new position, teaching math or science in an English Program, or a bilingual or even international school, if you can. There's more demand and far less supply for math and science teachers than for English teachers. Part time work (if that's all you want) will also make it hard for getting a work permit, but if they want you, they can get you a WP.

Thanks for the replies. I checked the websites of some of the international schools, and they all had language to the effect "If you don't have a degree in education or a teaching certificate from your home country, don't waste our time applying." This kind of discouraged me. If anyone knows of a school that is more open minded please let me know; I have a BA in Math from a good U.S. school, Duke U., plus a BS in Aero Eng., MS in Astro Eng., lots of RDT&E experience, I'm a retired AF officer, National Merit Scholar, member of Mensa, blah, blah, blah. I'm also willing to work full or part-time. But I'm not keen on returning to the U.S. for a teaching degree or certificate, and not sure if I want to tackle a degree program on-line. I haven't looked into government schools because I've heard stories of classes of 40+ students and teachers doing more crowd control than teaching. I'm also fifty years old, which may be held against me; most schools don't seem interested in anyone past their thirties.

I've already got the work permit covered (I'm also eligible for the retirement visa, but it's my understanding that I can't even do volunteer work legally with that visa). I'll try asking my students about tutoring, but I'm not sure if they'll have any useful info. Any additional suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by heybruce

Thanks for the replies. I checked the websites of some of the international schools, and they all had language to the effect "If you don't have a degree in education or a teaching certificate from your home country, don't waste our time applying." This kind of discouraged me. If anyone knows of a school that is more open minded please let me know; I have a BA in Math from a good U.S. school, Duke U., plus a BS in Aero Eng., MS in Astro Eng., lots of RDT&E experience, I'm a retired AF officer, National Merit Scholar, member of Mensa, blah, blah, blah. I'm also willing to work full or part-time. But I'm not keen on returning to the U.S. for a teaching degree or certificate, and not sure if I want to tackle a degree program on-line. I haven't looked into government schools because I've heard stories of classes of 40+ students and teachers doing more crowd control than teaching. I'm also fifty years old, which may be held against me; most schools don't seem interested in anyone past their thirties.

I've already got the work permit covered (I'm also eligible for the retirement visa, but it's my understanding that I can't even do volunteer work legally with that visa). I'll try asking my students about tutoring, but I'm not sure if they'll have any useful info. Any additional suggestions are appreciated.

Unfortunately, in my experience, international schools are pretty strict on the Education degree.. Its pretty sad to think they'd turn away a Duke U. diploma over someone else just because that person has an ED degree.. Honestly, its mind boggling, but hey, its their system, let them screw it up.

Unfortunately, in my experience, international schools are pretty strict on the Education degree.. Its pretty sad to think they'd turn away a Duke U. diploma over someone else just because that person has an ED degree.. Honestly, its mind boggling, but hey, its their system, let them screw it up.

The International schools seem to be doing just fine on their requirements for an Ed degree.

I doubt they will be having sleepless nights over losing someone from Duke U with a degree not specifically related to teaching. :o

• 2 weeks later...

At IAC- NPU (International Aviation College Nakhon Phanom university), we are preparing a Bachelor degree in Aviation Sciences the two first years are close to an Engineering Degree as Chulalongkorn in Maths and Physics, the following years are -depending on selection results- a professional pilot training, aviation management degrees. As we are "International" teaching Maths and Physics in English is required. However this bachelor degree is under preparation, so the recruitment depends on the project realisation and is not currently activated. If interested send me your CV.

Regards

The International schools seem to be doing just fine on their requirements for an Ed degree.

I doubt they will be having sleepless nights over losing someone from Duke U with a degree not specifically related to teaching. :o

I guess you don't know much about the demographics of people with education degrees. They typically have some of the lowest entrance criteria into their universities. They are also challenged the least while in school, as their courses are a joke. Sure the international schools are doing fine, but that doesn't mean this criterion is stupid. The schools would also be doing fine if they said they weren't going to accept any african american applicants, or some other discriminatory procedure. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be better off without it.

Personally, I'd rather my child be taught by a duke u grad in mathematics than 90% of ed. grads. But, for some reason, i have a feeling this is all falling on deaf ears. There's a reason though that the best boarding schools in the states prefer people with advanced degrees in their discipline, over education degrees.. Its because they know what they're getting.

HeyBruce

The new academic year begins early May and schools will start recruiting from the end of February onwards. In Chiang Mai there are EPs, MEPs and bilingual programmes in private and government schools where the majority of subjects are taught in English by foreigners. There is a massive shortage of qualified (degree in science or maths) teachers on these programmes. Be patient, look around, and weigh up your offers. You'll be in demand if you can wait.

• 1 month later...

First, I apologize if anyone feels I did a post and run; I had a very hectic holiday season followed by many distractions after my return.

To southerndog, thanks for the vote of confidence in Duke. Acutally the two engineering degrees were much more work, but since very few people have heard of the Air Force Institute of Technology, the Duke degree usually commands more respect.

The new program at IAC-NPU seems very interesting. I will update my resume and change the title to CV and send it in. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

• 14 years later...