Correcting A Mistaken Immigration Office

Hi,

The Mae Sai immigration office says that I have to have a 40k baht per month income in addition to the 800k in the bank to get a retirement extension. I'm not married so that rule doesn't apply. If I have to, I'll just go down to Chiang Mai and get it, but I don't want that extra 3 hour bus ride and overnight with a 3 hour bus ride back to Chiang Rai.

Is there a phone number at central immigation in Bangkok that deals with this type of problem? Or, is there an office/window where I can personally tell my story when I pass through BK on my way out to Panang?

I'm not sure if the guys at Mae Sai aren't looking for TEA MONEY. This is a very corrupt office with a fat history of cheating the tourists.

Cheers,

Joe

The government hot line is 1111 and you can directly connect to an immigration officer on request.

But the most productive approach is normally asking them to confirm suspect rules and then again to the next level if it still seems wrong. I suspect most offices do want to see some indication of income, even if not stated.

The government hot line is 1111 and you can directly connect to an immigration officer on request.

But the most productive approach is normally asking them to confirm suspect rules and then again to the next level if it still seems wrong. I suspect most offices do want to see some indication of income, even if not stated.

Hi,

I do have proof of my social security retirement and a printout of my ATM transactions. But they can still just say "no" and leave me hanging. I'll try the 1111 number and try to get someone to call up here from Bangkok.

Thanks

Joe

Hi,

I do have proof of my social security retirement and a printout of my ATM transactions. But they can still just say "no" and leave me hanging. I'll try the 1111 number and try to get someone to call up here from Bangkok.

Thanks

Joe

You don't say that you have a letter of confirmation of 800k in the bank !

Naka.

I suspect most offices do want to see some indication of income, even if not stated.

Hi lopburi,

Could you please elaborate on that? It's the first I have heard of it.

I thought that the retirement extension rules for an unmarried person were clear - EITHER income (65K Baht/month) OR cash in the bank (800K Baht for 3 months). Are you saying that in addition to 800K, we now have to be able to demonstrate an income overseas as well? Where did this come from - not Pattaya Today I hope :o ?

Grateful for clarification.

It means only that they like to see some indication of income/access to funds - be it deposits from overseas or whatever. A bank passbook and letter from bank is a normal requirement for any extension of stay and is often requested even if using the 65k method.

What may be required is often open to the local office as they have the approval authority for retirement extensions of stay.