The Background On Christmas And Christianity

midas

A Thai friend who is devoutly Buddhist asked me if I knew of any movie that would help explain Christmas

and Christianity ! I thought that was quite nice actually to be asked this question even though

I'm not religious myself because I'm sure these days many even

in my country would only attribute Christmas to plain consumerism !

Could anyone out there recommend which would be the best movie on this subject to view?

Truly I can't remember any particularly good versions of original Christmas story. But I think that most of the Bible based ones are pretty similar.

It might be helpful to explain to your friend that, Santa, Christmas Trees, and flying reindeer are recent additions to the Christmas tale, and should be regarded as a completely different celebration that just happens to occur at the same time as some religious holidays (Hanukkah, Christmas, Winter Solstice). This is why it is funny that people are offended by Christmas trees in public venues. The trees certainly have nothing to do with Christianity.

They should call it a Santa tree or Winter Solstice tree, which would be more correct and less offensive to the snivelers who continually attack anything Christian.

This schmuck agrees with canukamuk. Print out either one of the Christmas stories from Matthew 1:18 to 2:28 and Luke 2:1 to 2:20, preferably from a simple, modern English version such as the New Living Translation from http://www.biblegateway.com/

That's the birth of Jesus story. Your Thai friend will see the difference. Remind her that Buddhism has changed in over 2,500 years, also.

This schmuck agrees with canukamuk. Print out either one of the Christmas stories from Matthew 1:18 to 2:28 and Luke 2:1 to 2:20, preferably from a simple, modern English version such as the New Living Translation from http://www.biblegateway.com/

That's the birth of Jesus story. Your Thai friend will see the difference. Remind her that Buddhism has changed in over 2,500 years, also.

christmas vacation ,chevy chase ,this is a typical xmas of modern day :o

I dont believe there is a movie based solely on the virgin birth avilable in Thai. But there is the "Jesus" movie translated. Of course also the DVD "Passion of the Christ".

If your friend is asking about this, they might also be interested in watching the passion.

Absolutley Bino, and I should know, I was Linus in my school Christmas play.

We never did Charlie Brown as the Christmas play, but I remember waiting for it every year and watching it on TV (before VCRs) when CBC would start showing all of the Christmas specials.

I think Charlie Brown would be perfect for the Thai people. Most of them will probably know him, and the version that Linus gives is the biblical version without being as daunting as reading the bible itself.

I'm dying to watch it again, and show it to Ms. Bino! So much so that I've gone looking for the movie in the online area that we aren't supposed to talk about. Located it right away and going to watch it tonight!

Edited by bino

The grinch who stole christmas, CARTOON version not the trash anti-christian movie with Jim Carrey. Beware of anti-christian Hollywood movies like Bad Santa and countless others that slam the holiday. This type of trash makes up the bulk of christmas motion pictures. stick with the passion, grinch and charlie brown

Edited by Beavis and Butthead

Thank you to all those who answered seriously and I have solved it by getting

a 2006 movie called " The Nativity Story ' - exactly what was needed.

By the way Interman " Passion of Christ " which I saw has nothing at all

to do with Christmas :o

I dont believe there is a movie based solely on the virgin birth avilable in Thai. But there is the "Jesus" movie translated. Of course also the DVD "Passion of the Christ".

If your friend is asking about this, they might also be interested in watching the passion.

Like I mentioned above, But I will define more clearly

If your friend is asking about the origan of chritmas, they might also be interested in watching the passion. (cause maybe ther next question is who was Jesus?)