Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posts with only quoted text – or looking like it – and the replies thereto have been deleted.

As one member said in a now-deleted post, replies should always be outside the box of quoted text.

--

Maestro

Thanks but it seems to be down right now. Oh and I forgot the monday thing. My return flight (Udon-Bkk) is on wed. so maybe I'll just do it on tuesday. Return flight is on 18:35 so it should be no problem right?

I collected my passport last Wednesday at 1pm and easily made the 1835 flight from udon.

I assume you are on the nok air flight as I was. When you check in ask for row 39 or 40 next to the emergency exit, the leg room on these two rows is brilliant

it might be worth you going straight to the consulate on the monday on the off chance its not busy, this will allow you to collect on tuesday, leaving wednesday free so you can cross earlier and spend a few hours in udon if you are worried about your flight, at the worst you will need to go bck on the tuesday to apply and collect on wednesday which still leaves time to catch the flight

Edited by werbs

Got back yesterday with a double entry tourist visa.

Applied on Wednesday.

Arrived at the gates at 7:30am and was 4th in line. I was out of there before 9am. If I had arrived at opening time (8:30am) I would have been about 20th in line.

Judging by the people picking up their passports the next day, there were about 100 applicants in total on this day.

Only 2 Nigerians (I spoke with them) and a few Filipinos on this day. They must do organised visa runs by bus on certain days of the week. They (Nigerians and other African applicants) are only able to secure single entry tourist visas. I would hazzard a guess and say that anyone from a nation who is required to pay for a visa-on-arrival when entering Thailand will only get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane. Filipinos will get double entries.

I left the consulate at 1:30pm after picking up my passport and arrived at Udon Thani airport at 3:45pm. That was just over 2 hours and I had a very slow tuk-tuk to the border with mechanical problems. Other tuk-tuks were flying past. There's no need for anyone to worry about not catching the 17:40 Air Asia flight. I suspect this flight is hardly ever on time as both times I've flown it's been an hour late so there's plenty of time to relax at the airport and have a meal. There's a Thai buffet on the 2nd floor for 130 baht - amazing value for an airport meal.

I'd be interested to hear from other runners about what they paid for transport.

A van from the border to my hotel in Vientiane was 100 baht per person. I didn't bargain as I considered this price very reasonable. They propositioned me before I got on the bus to cross the bridge and waited for me to get my visa-on-arrival.

On a New Zealand passport the voa fee is $31. The $1 is an overtime fee after 6pm. On this day there were only 3 people applying so the process took about 10 minutes. Entry fee into Laos was 10 baht.

I paid a tuk-tuk 300 baht (72,000 kip) to take two of us from our hotel (Riverine) by the river to the consulate, wait about 15 minutes, then on to the Friendship bridge. I didn't bargain hard as I thought the price was reasonable.

At the bridge after exiting Laos Immigration I paid 200 baht per person (they start at 300 baht) for a minivan over the bridge, waiting at Thai immigration and then on to Udon Thani Airport. I liked this option as it took care of a suitcase while I waited in the queue to clear Thai immigration.

The other option is to take the bus over the bridge and then get a minivan once you've cleared immigration...I did this last time. Either way you have to wait for the van to fill up before they leave.

Edited by tropo

hey up tropo, that time of year again was it, listen you didnt see anything posted about closing dates if any for the 100 day funeral of kings sister (i think) which might affect visas next fri or more?

apparently bars etc must close 14/15 /16 some even say also 17/18/19 nov and gov office although be it outside thailand may do same.

chris

hey up tropo, that time of year again was it, listen you didnt see anything posted about closing dates if any for the 100 day funeral of kings sister (i think) which might affect visas next fri or more?

apparently bars etc must close 14/15 /16 some even say also 17/18/19 nov and gov office although be it outside thailand may do same.

chris

Hi Chris...no, I didn't see anything posted up at the consulate about that.

chris

Hi Chris...no, I didn't see anything posted up at the consulate about that.

well if anyones going up there next week, try maybe check and find out or go earlier to be on safe side i looked on there website but nothing listed.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

chris

Got back yesterday with a double entry tourist visa.

Applied on Wednesday.

Arrived at the gates at 7:30am and was 4th in line. I was out of there before 9am. If I had arrived at opening time (8:30am) I would have been about 20th in line.

Judging by the people picking up their passports the next day, there were about 100 applicants in total on this day.

Only 2 Nigerians (I spoke with them) and a few Filipinos on this day. They must do organised visa runs by bus on certain days of the week. They (Nigerians and other African applicants) are only able to secure single entry tourist visas. I would hazzard a guess and say that anyone from a nation who is required to pay for a visa-on-arrival when entering Thailand will only get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane. Filipinos will get double entries.

I left the consulate at 1:30pm after picking up my passport and arrived at Udon Thani airport at 3:45pm. That was just over 2 hours and I had a very slow tuk-tuk to the border with mechanical problems. Other tuk-tuks were flying past. There's no need for anyone to worry about not catching the 17:40 Air Asia flight. I suspect this flight is hardly ever on time as both times I've flown it's been an hour late so there's plenty of time to relax at the airport and have a meal. There's a Thai buffet on the 2nd floor for 130 baht - amazing value for an airport meal.

I'd be interested to hear from other runners about what they paid for transport.

A van from the border to my hotel in Vientiane was 100 baht per person. I didn't bargain as I considered this price very reasonable. They propositioned me before I got on the bus to cross the bridge and waited for me to get my visa-on-arrival.

On a New Zealand passport the voa fee is $31. The $1 is an overtime fee after 6pm. On this day there were only 3 people applying so the process took about 10 minutes. Entry fee into Laos was 10 baht.

I paid a tuk-tuk 300 baht (72,000 kip) to take two of us from our hotel (Riverine) by the river to the consulate, wait about 15 minutes, then on to the Friendship bridge. I didn't bargain hard as I thought the price was reasonable.

At the bridge after exiting Laos Immigration I paid 200 baht per person (they start at 300 baht) for a minivan over the bridge, waiting at Thai immigration and then on to Udon Thani Airport. I liked this option as it took care of a suitcase while I waited in the queue to clear Thai immigration.

The other option is to take the bus over the bridge and then get a minivan once you've cleared immigration...I did this last time. Either way you have to wait for the van to fill up before they leave.

Nice report, troppo, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm planning to make my very first attempt at a Tourist Visa this coming week in Vientiane, but I've got a few questions and I wonder if somebody could help out with answers. This thread's been very useful, but there's a few things I'm concerned about.

I've got an American passport, 12.5 months validity remaining before renewal, plenty of blank pages thanks to the "extra pages" scheme. No overstays. Also plenty of old B- and O- visas (single and multi over the last 8 years), and I'm currently on my 3rd of 3 visa exempt entry 30-day stamps from the Cambodian border.

Q. Based on this, is there any reason I might have trouble getting a double-entry tourist visa in Vientiane?

Q. Is the fee for the double-entry tourist visa issued at Vientiane 2000 baht total?

Q. Can the visa fee be paid in Thai baht, or are US dollars, Lao Kip or other currencies required?

Q. Will the Royal Thai Embassy, or the Thai Immigration folks at the Friendship Bridge ask for proof of onward travel?

Q. If so, is a Bangkok-Butterworth train ticket dated for mid-January 2009 sufficient proof?

Q. Is anyone going to ask me to show cash at the border when re-entering Thailand?

Q. Are there ATM's in Vientiane which will accept a Kasikorn Bank or Siam Commercial Bank ATM card linked to a savings account (debit card, not a credit card).

Q. Can anyone make a recommendation for a guesthouse within 1km of the Thai Embassy with air-conditioning for under 1000 baht per night?

Q. Are there any holidays, strikes, etc., that would pose a problem to traveling into Laos on Tuesday, submitting on Wednesday and collecting on Thursday (25-27 November)?

Hi, I'm planning to make my very first attempt at a Tourist Visa this coming week in Vientiane, but I've got a few questions and I wonder if somebody could help out with answers. This thread's been very useful, but there's a few things I'm concerned about.

I've got an American passport, 12.5 months validity remaining before renewal, plenty of blank pages thanks to the "extra pages" scheme. No overstays. Also plenty of old B- and O- visas (single and multi over the last 8 years), and I'm currently on my 3rd of 3 visa exempt entry 30-day stamps from the Cambodian border.

Q. Based on this, is there any reason I might have trouble getting a double-entry tourist visa in Vientiane?

Q. Is the fee for the double-entry tourist visa issued at Vientiane 2000 baht total?

Q. Can the visa fee be paid in Thai baht, or are US dollars, Lao Kip or other currencies required?

Q. Will the Royal Thai Embassy, or the Thai Immigration folks at the Friendship Bridge ask for proof of onward travel?

Q. If so, is a Bangkok-Butterworth train ticket dated for mid-January 2009 sufficient proof?

Q. Is anyone going to ask me to show cash at the border when re-entering Thailand?

Q. Are there ATM's in Vientiane which will accept a Kasikorn Bank or Siam Commercial Bank ATM card linked to a savings account (debit card, not a credit card).

Q. Can anyone make a recommendation for a guesthouse within 1km of the Thai Embassy with air-conditioning for under 1000 baht per night?

Q. Are there any holidays, strikes, etc., that would pose a problem to traveling into Laos on Tuesday, submitting on Wednesday and collecting on Thursday (25-27 November)

No problem getting visa with all your other entries and etc.

2000 baht is correct and only baht is accepted.

No need for proof of onward travel.

No need for the cash at border

There are ATM's but they give you Kip. You don't want to have to many kip when you leave because you can't change it back. It's best in my opinion to take plenty of baht with you and use it since most places gladly accept baht.

You will not be going to the embassy. The consulate and embassy are not in the same place.

I can't be of any help for the quest house question.

The following is link to embassy website. Home page has a link to Holidays and opening hours plus you can download the application. Just don't pay much attention to the requirements for a visa since most of it is not needed. http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane

looking at the list of requirements to get a Non-immigrant visa for purpose of married to a Thai...from the Vientiane embassy...it says you need a copy of your Thai bank account pass book...is this yours or the wifes? and how much do they want to see in it?

I have been grandfathered for the past ten years ..getting one-year extensions to my non-immigrant 'O' ...but this month the Pound is weak so my monthly pension is not enough to cover the required 40,000 Baht....and I have no way to get 400,000 in a bank account (it was 200,000 for the past ten years!)

my pension is a British army pension and I'm 56

looking at the list of requirements to get a Non-immigrant visa for purpose of married to a Thai...from the Vientiane embassy...it says you need a copy of your Thai bank account pass book...is this yours or the wifes? and how much do they want to see in it?

I have been grandfathered for the past ten years ..getting one-year extensions to my non-immigrant 'O' ...but this month the Pound is weak so my monthly pension is not enough to cover the required 40,000 Baht....and I have no way to get 400,000 in a bank account (it was 200,000 for the past ten years!)

my pension is a British army pension and I'm 56

The last time I got an non-o in Vientiane I showed no bank book. Only marriage certificate, copy of wife's Id and copy of my passport photo page.

I have a suggestion for you on meeting your 40,000 baht income. Have your wife go to the local tax office and declare an annual income that works out to a monthly income thats enough to make up for your income shortage. She can declare an income of about 240,000 (or more) and pay no tax. Then show the tax form to immigration. The tax office will even do all the calculations for her. For tax table and etc. go to the following link. http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

There have been several reports from members that are doing this for the full 40,000 baht requirement.

There are some guesthouses near the consulate but it's a boring part of town. If you want to go to the Fa Ngum area which is where all the fun is like riverfront restaurants, bars, better selection of guesthouses and coffee shops etc then you will need to travel from your guesthouse anyway. I was just there last week and rented a motorbike for 150 baht a day. The roads are much safer than CM for example the people actually obey the laws in the city. Outside of town its normal chaos of wrong way motorbikes, water buffalo, geese and goats. So anyway I would just go down to the riverfront tourist area and get a better pick of guesthouses and convenience. It's maybe 4 km from the waterfront to the consulate. I stayed this last time at the Orchid guesthouse and it was 600 baht a night and plenty clean, AC, UBC. You will end up being in VTE for a minimum of 2 nights. I stayed for 3 just because it is a nice change of food/drink from Thailand.

Last week at the Consulate there were about 40+ Africans applying on Tuesday morning. A lot of them are polite but the Nigerians would all cut in line. I showed up at 7:30 but by the time they all cut in line I was about 30th or so in line. Then it became like a pushing and grumbling scene from the Africans. I tried to talk to a lot of them outside and before opening about where they are from and Obama etc and a number of them where protective of my group. Finally the Consulate woman came out and made all the African country people get into a separate line across the courtyard. What a drama. When they all moved to the new line there was all sorts of pushing and some fights broke out. The consulate was only issuing people from Africa 2 week transit visa's now.

As far as currency the $USD is most desirable followed by the Kip and Baht. You will get the best exchange with the Kip but no problem with the baht as its accepted everywhere. Just keep in mind that whatever you use usually you will get kip for change. A few times I requested baht for change and got some baht and some kip.

When your going back the friendship bridge then no problem to exchange kip back to baht or also at the many exchange counters around town.

I was pleasantly surprised by my visit and looking forward to the next time.

Other than African stuff that it was very smooth process. I maybe spent a total of 90 minutes inside the compound for both days combined. BTW I have been in Thailand for most of the last 4 years on various visa's and they didn't give me a second look or ask for any additional docs etc.

other notes

1000 baht per entry for tourist visa. only baht accepted

Take 2 photos and photo page zerox copy of you PP

print and fill out the application form before you show up. you will thank me for that.

The agent like guys outside will do a 2 entry TV for 5000 baht. It's a big markup but you don't have to stand in line. I saw them passing their applications inside to the guard before the gates opened and talked to a few people who used them and no problems. Still I guess its risky because they are not official but lots of people did use them.

No problem getting visa with all your other entries and etc.

2000 baht is correct and only baht is accepted.

No need for proof of onward travel.

No need for the cash at border

There are ATM's but they give you Kip. You don't want to have to many kip when you leave because you can't change it back. It's best in my opinion to take plenty of baht with you and use it since most places gladly accept baht.

You will not be going to the embassy. The consulate and embassy are not in the same place.

I can't be of any help for the quest house question.

The following is link to embassy website. Home page has a link to Holidays and opening hours plus you can download the application. Just don't pay much attention to the requirements for a visa since most of it is not needed.

Joe, thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for the quality answers. I'll make sure I'm cashed up with baht and greenbacks before heading to the border. Otherwise it sounds like fairly smooth sailing...

What is the recommended reply to "Name, address and telephone of local guarantor" and "Guarantor and address in Thailand" in Section 5 of the visa application form?

Also, can anyone provide Google Earth coordinates for both the Thai consulate (the "right place") and the Thai Embassy (the "wrong place")? When hovering around Vientiane and doing a search on "thai" one gets a result labeled "Thai Consule" at 17°58'27.42"N by 102°37'42.18"E but with the streets not being marked (and my French being rudimentary) it's not confirmed to be the correct place to cop the visa. Can someone confirm?

And, hey, if the ThaiVisa Powers That Be are lurking... Have you ever thought about putting together a GoogleEarth .kmz file with all the essential locations such as nearby Thai Consulates and Embassy's, foreign Embassies and Consulates in Thailand, Thai Immigration offices, airports and rail depots, and other "survival guide" type locations?

Joe, thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for the quality answers. I'll make sure I'm cashed up with baht and greenbacks before heading to the border. Otherwise it sounds like fairly smooth sailing... What is the recommended reply to "Name, address and telephone of local guarantor" and "Guarantor and address in Thailand" in Section 5 of the visa application form?

Also, can anyone provide Google Earth coordinates for both the Thai consulate (the "right place") and the Thai Embassy (the "wrong place")? When hovering around Vientiane and doing a search on "thai" one gets a result labeled "Thai Consule" at 17°58'27.42"N by 102°37'42.18"E but with the streets not being marked (and my French being rudimentary) it's not confirmed to be the correct place to cop the visa. Can someone confirm?

And, hey, if the ThaiVisa Powers That Be are lurking... Have you ever thought about putting together a GoogleEarth .kmz file with all the essential locations such as nearby Thai Consulates and Embassy's, foreign Embassies and Consulates in Thailand, Thai Immigration offices, airports and rail depots, and other "survival guide" type locations?

Leave the guarantor blanks blank. Its not required.

Thai consule is it. In Thai and Lao you would say consule when asking to get there by taxi even.

There are some guesthouses near the consulate but it's a boring part of town. If you want to go to the Fa Ngum area which is where all the fun is like riverfront restaurants, bars, better selection of guesthouses and coffee shops etc then you will need to travel from your guesthouse anyway. I was just there last week and rented a motorbike for 150 baht a day. The roads are much safer than CM for example the people actually obey the laws in the city. Outside of town its normal chaos of wrong way motorbikes, water buffalo, geese and goats. So anyway I would just go down to the riverfront tourist area and get a better pick of guesthouses and convenience. It's maybe 4 km from the waterfront to the consulate. I stayed this last time at the Orchid guesthouse and it was 600 baht a night and plenty clean, AC, UBC. You will end up being in VTE for a minimum of 2 nights. I stayed for 3 just because it is a nice change of food/drink from Thailand.

Last week at the Consulate there were about 40+ Africans applying on Tuesday morning. A lot of them are polite but the Nigerians would all cut in line. I showed up at 7:30 but by the time they all cut in line I was about 30th or so in line. Then it became like a pushing and grumbling scene from the Africans. I tried to talk to a lot of them outside and before opening about where they are from and Obama etc and a number of them where protective of my group. Finally the Consulate woman came out and made all the African country people get into a separate line across the courtyard. What a drama. When they all moved to the new line there was all sorts of pushing and some fights broke out. The consulate was only issuing people from Africa 2 week transit visa's now.

As far as currency the $USD is most desirable followed by the Kip and Baht. You will get the best exchange with the Kip but no problem with the baht as its accepted everywhere. Just keep in mind that whatever you use usually you will get kip for change. A few times I requested baht for change and got some baht and some kip.

When your going back the friendship bridge then no problem to exchange kip back to baht or also at the many exchange counters around town.

I was pleasantly surprised by my visit and looking forward to the next time.

Other than African stuff that it was very smooth process. I maybe spent a total of 90 minutes inside the compound for both days combined. BTW I have been in Thailand for most of the last 4 years on various visa's and they didn't give me a second look or ask for any additional docs etc.

other notes

1000 baht per entry for tourist visa. only baht accepted

Take 2 photos and photo page zerox copy of you PP

print and fill out the application form before you show up. you will thank me for that.

The agent like guys outside will do a 2 entry TV for 5000 baht. It's a big markup but you don't have to stand in line. I saw them passing their applications inside to the guard before the gates opened and talked to a few people who used them and no problems. Still I guess its risky because they are not official but lots of people did use them.

CSN (George Throughgood reference?), thanks for the reply which helps a lot. I'm not really worried about boring. My day to day life in Thailand is interesting enough that three hots and a cot sounds paradisical. I don't need fancy accommodations and riverside as I recall was plagued with skeeters. But if it means better food available within walking distance, I'll look at Orchid and some other choices. I'd have one other request, but it seems that by board policy it should not be voiced here; I'll check a few other boards for that.

I wish I remembered more about Vientiane, but I didn't have a camera when I visited with my Thai ex-wife (thus my old "O" visas) 7 years ago, and the grey matter is getting less reliable every year... But I do remember being eaten alive while dining along the Mekhong.

I'm actually looking forward to doing this on my own and going solo farther than the old out-and-in at the bridge. KL, Penang and Singapore have just gotten to be such a bore... I do seem to recall from my other trip to Vientiane that nearly every Laotian there under 30 years of age had a functional grasp of Thai, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Or perhaps I'll see how much of the Isaan dialect I can recollect and how far I can get with that.

Leave the guarantor blanks blank. Its not required.

Thai consule is it. In Thai and Lao you would say consule when asking to get there by taxi even.

Again, many thanks Joe. And shame on me, I never knew "gong sune" was a loan word until now...

Glad to help

I think I know what you were going to ask about in your reply to Cobra.... The answer would be yes it can be found.

The only time I have ever been to Vientiane has been with my wife.

Have a good trip and enjoy it.

Joe

Edited by ubonjoe

There are ATM's but they give you Kip. You don't want to have to many kip when you leave because you can't change it back. It's best in my opinion to take

Here is some useful information and tips about currency in Vientiane to help first time visa runners.

All restauarants and hotels will gladly give you the prices in 3 currencies upon requrest (or just ask them how much in baht or US dollars): $US, Laos Kip and Thai baht. I noticed some restaurants have the bill automatically itemised in all 3 currencies. (I reckon the Lao people must have exceptional mathematical ability because they constantly do these calculations).

You can choose the currency in which you pay. Irrespective of which currency you pay, all change will be given in Kip.

Use a calculator to find the best currency deal if you have more than one currenciy available in your wallet.

Recommend you start out paying for everything in baht/dollars on your first day. Once you've accumulated enough kip pay your last few bills before you leave (including tuk-tuk) with the kip to get rid of it.

I only bring US dollars to pay for my visa-on-arrival. It's very easy to buy small denomination US bills at the airport. There's a bank right before you go through to your gates after you've checked in.

Finally...it's important to bring lots of small denomination Thai money (20's/50's/100's) because you don't want to be paying for tuk-tuks or restaurant meals with 500's/1000's. You'll end up with truck loads of Kip as change and you'll probably lose a bit with the exchange.

Enjoy yourself in possibly the only place on earth without coins!

There are ATM's but they give you Kip. You don't want to have to many kip when you leave because you can't change it back. It's best in my opinion to take

Here is some useful information and tips about currency in Vientiane to help first time visa runners.

All restauarants and hotels will gladly give you the prices in 3 currencies upon requrest (or just ask them how much in baht or US dollars): $US, Laos Kip and Thai baht. I noticed some restaurants have the bill automatically itemised in all 3 currencies. (I reckon the Lao people must have exceptional mathematical ability because they constantly do these calculations).

You can choose the currency in which you pay. Irrespective of which currency you pay, all change will be given in Kip.

Use a calculator to find the best currency deal if you have more than one currenciy available in your wallet.

Recommend you start out paying for everything in baht/dollars on your first day. Once you've accumulated enough kip pay your last few bills before you leave (including tuk-tuk) with the kip to get rid of it.

I only bring US dollars to pay for my visa-on-arrival. It's very easy to buy small denomination US bills at the airport. There's a bank right before you go through to your gates after you've checked in.

Finally...it's important to bring lots of small denomination Thai money (20's/50's/100's) because you don't want to be paying for tuk-tuks or restaurant meals with 500's/1000's. You'll end up with truck loads of Kip as change and you'll probably lose a bit with the exchange.

Enjoy yourself in possibly the only place on earth without coins!

yeah, or cambodia tropo. gotta love no heavy coinage

Some great stuff on this thread - really useful. I will be heading to Vientiane on 8 December for my non-immigrant B and have some quick questions that I can't easily find the answers for:

1. As I live in BKK I was planning to get my Laos visa in BKK and take the "international" bus direct to Vientiane from Udon or Nong Khai. Is this a good idea?

2. Can I photocopy my passport (all pages?) before entering Laos, or does the copy need to include the Thai exit / Laos entry stamps and therefore can only be done after entering Laos?

3. If I print off the non-imm B application form and complete it in advance will it be accepted?

4. I have a reservation at the Aroon Residence in Vientiane (3 nights). Any comments? Is it straightforward to get to the Consulate from there?

5. In case anyone didn't know, 10 December is a Thai public holiday (Constitution Day) and the Consulate will be closed. I plan on applying for my visa on 9 December and picking it up on 11 December. I'm hoping the public holiday will mean smaller queues on the day before.

Cheers.

1. Great idea. That will save you a lot of time.

2. All you need is a copy of your passport photo page.

3. If you are using the form from the Vientiane website no problem.

4. Can't answer.

5. Sound like another good idea.

Have a good trip.

1. Great idea. That will save you a lot of time.

2. All you need is a copy of your passport photo page.

3. If you are using the form from the Vientiane website no problem.

4. Can't answer.

5. Sound like another good idea.

Have a good trip.

Aroon residence is midway between the consulate and the riverfront. Its a good location as you could walk to either. about 2 km to the consulate and 2 km to the Fa ngum waterfront.

On the way back to udon thani then catch the international friendship bus at the bus station located behind the morning market. its maybe 1.5 km from Aroon due east. They run about every 2 hours and I recall there is a noonish and 1400 bus. It's really nice as they stop and let you process and just get back on after the checkpoints. Nice bus also. Only 80 baht for VTE to Udon. sweet.