Quick Question: Probably Easy Answer..................

libya 115

......connection. I do it already on XP with an old Nokia mobile phone. My question is do modern mobile telephones come with software disc for Vista so I can use 12Call for on the move internet connection with my notebook.

Additional question......wireless internet in Pattaya..Where? Is there anywhere free? Or are there any internet cafes where I can take my notebook and easily hook-up either cable or wireless. Forgive me I am a beginner really. Thanks. L115

......connection. I do it already on XP with an old Nokia mobile phone. My question is do modern mobile telephones come with software disc for Vista so I can use 12Call for on the move internet connection with my notebook.

Additional question......wireless internet in Pattaya..Where? Is there anywhere free? Or are there any internet cafes where I can take my notebook and easily hook-up either cable or wireless. Forgive me I am a beginner really. Thanks. L115

Sorry that I can't answer all your questions, but I can say that the for-pay WiFi at Starbucks is pretty solid and dependable, or at least it was a year or so ago. When I was undergoing *months* of problems getting my TT&T phone line set up, I would go to Starbucks to do my e-mail and surfing. Not exactly cheap, though. I think it was B150 per hour?

Also, when I was a KSC ADSL customer in Bangkok, the subscription included free use of KSC WiFi hot spots -- including the ones at Starbucks -- for free. Not sure if that is still the case, but when I lived in Bangkok and travelled around Thailand it was a great offer!

I also have seen a few restaurants/cafes around Pattaya and Jomtien with "free WiFi" signs posted outside, but have no experience with them. I also believe many (most?) internet cafes will let you hook your notebook up directly to a RJ45 cable in their shop.

My question is do modern mobile telephones come with software disc for Vista so I can use 12Call for on the move internet connection with my notebook.

You are asking how to connect your notebook to your mobile phone modem and surf the net on the notebook? First you have to establish a connection between phone and notebook be it bluetooth, IR or USB? Then you need to set a dial up account to the internet on the notebook with the hand phone modem. You can do it with 12Call if you have data transfer switched on with 12Call account. Can be done with either GPRS data connection (might be pricey depends on plan) or much slower dial up to another ISP. Best check with 12Call for user instructions which they probably send out depending which phone you use.

Download Nokia PC Suite and install. then phone 12call and sign up for a GPRS package. I get 20 hours a month for 100 baht as I also have a regular DSL connection (during the day--long story, don't ask :o) but there are other packages available. It is easy to turn off when you leave the country, as well. Just call back up again and ask them to suspend the service.

Hook your phone up to your laptop, after loading PC suite. Make sure to ok your data packet connection on the phone. You should have a cable to connect the phone to the laptop, it will have a USB plug on one end, the other end plugs into the phone.Then click connect to internet, it does everything else for you.

Have you looked on the Nokia website? Nokia PC suite appears pretty comprehensive to me, and they seem to be very involved with MSN.

Thanks for the reply. I guess an RJ45 cable goes in that network socket at the back of notebook right?

Correct. I think just about every notebook sold in the past few years has an RJ45 (Ethernet) jack. The RJ45 connector looks just like a modular telephone line connector, just a bit wider.

Download Nokia PC Suite and install. then phone 12call and sign up for a GPRS package. I get 20 hours a month for 100 baht as I also have a regular DSL connection (during the day--long story, don't ask :o) but there are other packages available. It is easy to turn off when you leave the country, as well. Just call back up again and ask them to suspend the service.

Hook your phone up to your laptop, after loading PC suite. Make sure to ok your data packet connection on the phone. You should have a cable to connect the phone to the laptop, it will have a USB plug on one end, the other end plugs into the phone.Then click connect to internet, it does everything else for you.

Agree.

Using a Nokia phone along with the free to download Nokia PC Suite on your PC is a very simple way to

connect phone to PC. Nothing to set up, just connect the USB cable and start the system using the "Connect to the Internet"

Icon in PC Suite.

p.s. Remember to run the "Nokia settings wizard" (on your phone) to set up the

connections automatically according to your SIM card. You need to do this once only.

1. Download latest version of PC Suite to your PC

2. Run Nokia Settings Wizard on your phone

3 Get AIS GPRS package by calling the AIS hotline, 20min, 60min etc.

4. Connect PC to phone with USB cable and make sure you are connected.

5. Click the "Connect to the Internet" icon in PC suite.

After the first time you only need do 4 and 5.

Naka.

Edited by naka

hi get a nokia phone what has EDGE,u dont need any disc,all u hv to do is download and install nokia pc suite,then call 12calll ask them to send u the set up for ur phone,thats it!!!!

Agree.

Using a Nokia phone along with the free to download Nokia PC Suite on your PC is a very simple way to

connect phone to PC. Nothing to set up, just connect the USB cable and start the system using the "Connect to the Internet"

Icon in PC Suite.

p.s. Remember to run the "Nokia settings wizard" (on your phone) to set up the

connections automatically according to your SIM card. You need to do this once only.

1. Download latest version of PC Suite to your PC

2. Run Nokia Settings Wizard on your phone

3 Get AIS GPRS package by calling the AIS hotline, 20min, 60min etc.

4. Connect PC to phone with USB cable and make sure you are connected.

5. Click the "Connect to the Internet" icon in PC suite.

After the first time you only need do 4 and 5.

Naka.

Thanks Naka. I used to get the package from 12 call on *138 but now cannot. What is the hotline number to one 2 call for packages?

Edited by libya 115