New Wheels

jezchesters

Hi - looking for some more advice...

I recently bought a second hand car which would benefit from a new set of wheels - underneath the hubcaps, the rims are quite rusty.

A few questions:

What is the difference between alloy wheels and 'normal' wheels?

What is the price difference between alloy wheels and 'normal' wheels?

Can anyone recommend where to buy in Bangkok?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - cheers!

:o

Hi - looking for some more advice...

I recently bought a second hand car which would benefit from a new set of wheels - underneath the hubcaps, the rims are quite rusty.

A few questions:

Can anyone recommend where to buy in Bangkok?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - cheers!

:D

hello,by normal wheels i presume they will be steel wheels which are usually a lot cheaper than alloy but you wont have much choice especially if you want to improve your cars looks.steel rusts ...alloy doesnt by the way.

dont know what car you have or what size wheels you want but i dont think you will find a big choice in steel.....maybe from a breakers yard or car with same hub fitting size.for alloys you will find many shops/garages in bangkok.....there are not many roads any where in bkk not selling auto parts of some sort.pricewise varies as so much choice and dependent on size also.if you buy a bigger size then dont forget new tyres. :o

Normal wheels are made of iron. Alloy wheels are a mix of metals - usually with a high aluminium content - and they do also corrode (rust) and even pit overtime.

Alloy wheels are a good steal for thieves. I would think about buying some rust eater which will clean up your wheels in 10 minutes and get some nice new hub caps.

OK - cheers for the advice guys!

Do you know if there's a chain that equates to a Hlafords over here where I could look at wheels, buy hub-caps, rust remover etc?

Cheers!

:o

Steel wheels are actually heavier than some aluminum wheels. But depending on what size you buy the cars performance can be affected. Basically if you are looking for a wheel my suggestion would be getting an easy wheel to clean plus at the same time has strong structure on it. The lighter the wheel the less unsprung weight is applied on the vehicle. Just some thought.

There are wheel shops on just about every corner in BKK. Another idea is to get the steelies powder coated. Not sure in BKK where it can be done but heard there is a place in Chiang Mai.

What size are you looking at? Might be easier to go to a second hand wheel place and pick up wheels from a jazz/vios etc, that will fit. Usually they are like new as the provious owner took them off new and replaced them. As mentioned alloys are lighter, and should help if you car is not that powerful (though probably not that noticeable).

Normal wheels are made of iron. Alloy wheels are a mix of metals - usually with a high aluminium content - and they do also corrode (rust) and even pit overtime.

Alloy wheels are a good steal for thieves. I would think about buying some rust eater which will clean up your wheels in 10 minutes and get some nice new hub caps.

WOW ive learned something new anyway.....i thought standard/normal wheels were steel,never heard of iron wheels....are they heavy??? also i havent seen any rusty alloys ,yes they pit as they get older,i knew that.have you used rusteater on a very rusty piece of metal???? a few weeks/months and looks terrible again.i agree just get new hubcaps if the ones you have are damaged as this is the cheapest option for you.....but if you wanna improve the look then a nice set of alloys(preferably not rusted)....i have a set i put on a honda jazz with tyres,17 inch,dont know if will fit your car but ive sold the car and got the wheels up for sale on this site .

lots of big supermarkets sell products for cars inc hub caps and maybe rust eater,for wheels then drive round a few roads in bangkok...keep eyes open!!!if you dont want them stolen then a set of locking wheel nuts should help you...what car you got by the way???

WOW ive learned something new anyway.....i thought standard/normal wheels were steel,never heard of iron wheels....are they heavy??? also i havent seen any rusty alloys ,yes they pit as they get older,i knew that.have you used rusteater on a very rusty piece of metal???? a few weeks/months and looks terrible again.i agree just get new hubcaps if the ones you have are damaged as this is the cheapest option for you.....but if you wanna improve the look then a nice set of alloys(preferably not rusted)....i have a set i put on a honda jazz with tyres,17 inch,dont know if will fit your car but ive sold the car and got the wheels up for sale on this site .

lots of big supermarkets sell products for cars inc hub caps and maybe rust eater,for wheels then drive round a few roads in bangkok...keep eyes open!!!if you dont want them stolen then a set of locking wheel nuts should help you...what car you got by the way???

Steel is iron basically - iron ore + energy = steel. All alloys corrode, even stainless steel - obviously not to the extent of steel - the corrosion is hard to see as it is white as opposed to red on steel. The corrosion on steel wheels (or ferrus oxide) is likley to be only surface and easily removed. If they need to be spick and span then a coat of nice paint will do the trick.

Rust on steel = ferrus oxide - ferrus = iron Not so clever are you

Edited by pointofview

Sure will be more light

alloy wheels will be a bit more expensive then normal wheels. it depend what type of wheels you are looking for? Japanese brand will be more expensive.... something from china or taiwan will be more cheap

Hope this can help you

Good Luck

Apart from motorsport, there's really only one reason to fit retro-fit alloy wheels; they look nicer. Unsprung weight is affected, sure, but no-one ever fits them on an ordinary road car for that reason. A quick, but not cheap, way to brighten-up a tired-looking car. Logically, the answer is to clean and respray the original wheels but unless you have the original Ford wheeltrims, you'll have to buy some hideous aftermarket trims which IMHO will do nothing for the looks of your car. Yeah, I'd probably bung on some alloys. On the other hand, alloy wheels probably won't be far off what the car is worth. I mean, it's a Mk1 Mondeo, right?

Steel is iron basically - iron ore + energy = steel. All alloys corrode, even stainless steel - obviously not to the extent of steel - the corrosion is hard to see as it is white as opposed to red on steel. The corrosion on steel wheels (or ferrus oxide) is likley to be only surface and easily removed. If they need to be spick and span then a coat of nice paint will do the trick.

:D WOW thanks for in depth info.i will now go around calling steel wheels ...iron wheels.hope other people are as intelectual as you or i can give them a lesson in metalogy(wait to be corrected on that :o )

:D WOW thanks for in depth info.i will now go around calling steel wheels ...iron wheels.hope other people are as intelectual as you or i can give them a lesson in metalogy(wait to be corrected on that :o )

Steel is correct as is iron - you started the correction. Steel ship or iron ship - same same :D

Your just not listening

Cheers guys - it's an old MKI Ford Mondeo, but aside from the gammy wheels, its in superb condition...
Pcd and offset is 4-108 35/40 offset, .you will get secondhand inc tyres for about 12k,.

Cheers! Is that for alloy or normal? Also, any recommendations of where to buy?