Nature Near Chianmai

vrsushi

I know that there are some pretty great national parks around there. I have a few questions.

1. How much chance is there of actually seeing any wildlife? Animal or birdlife would do fine.

2. Are there any nice hiking opportunities that don't actually entail going into a national park and so avoid a 400bht fee everytime I feel like a day in the woods.

3. Roughly how many different places are there that I could feasably ride to from CM on a scooter for a day out?

4. Ditto but a bit further afield for a overnight/ 2 night stay?

5. Anybody seen any hornbills around? I can't help but love these odd looking buggers.

Many thanks

The national park fees have been changed; not all parks are 400 baht for foreign adults anymore, only the ones with the highest number of visitors and considered to have the best amenities.

A lot of them are 200 baht, others are 100 baht and for the small ones, no fee is charged. This thread contains the original announcement in Thai as well as my attempt at a translation into English:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155854

I know that there are some pretty great national parks around there. I have a few questions.

1. How much chance is there of actually seeing any wildlife? Animal or birdlife would do fine.

2. Are there any nice hiking opportunities that don't actually entail going into a national park and so avoid a 400bht fee everytime I feel like a day in the woods.

3. Roughly how many different places are there that I could feasably ride to from CM on a scooter for a day out?

5. Anybody seen any hornbills around? I can't help but love these odd looking buggers.

Many thanks

Many thanks

Oops, hit the wrong button and posted a blank message.

Seeing animals (especially the larger ones) is always going to be difficult as they are generally rare, elusive and hunted (yes, even in the parks). There are of course the ubiquitous monkeys and squirrels which are harder to see. Birds can be seen with some patience, especailly in areas with water, lakes etc. Birds in forest are much tougher. As with any wildlife early morning and late afternoon are best.

For hornbills it's much more productive to visit central (Khao Yai NP for example) or southern Thailand (parks in Krabi province are good) where a good number of species occur. Hornbills are more prevalent in lowland forest so the mountainous north not that good.

Many thanks

1. Birdlife is abundant in the north, absolutley no problems there. I've seen Blue Pitta less than a 10 minute drive from the centre of Chiangmai... mammals less abundant, squirrels your most likely sighting

2. Quite a few, try around Mae Hia & Heuy Tueg Tao lake (small charge here) and surrounding area taking the track up Doi Suthep.

3. too many to mention, but a lot. Depends what it is you are specifically looking for

4. NP's are the obvious one here, another option is to stay in the Chiang Dao area for a couple of days. Great wildlife and views

5. In the past i've seen Pied Hornbill in the north on 3 occasions, they would fly in to roost in the evenings around Doi Chiang Dao.