Not So Free

intumult

Went to the shop today at the place where I stay. Bought some water. Normally 35 Bhat for 5 litres.

Now the bottle is 40 Baht but they did point out that I am now getting 6 litres for the price of 5 as it says on the bottle, '1 litre extra. Free'.

Duh? Free? TiT :o

Ah well, that is enterprise for you

Went to the shop today at the place where I stay. Bought some water. Normally 35 Bhat for 5 litres.

Now the bottle is 40 Baht but they did point out that I am now getting 6 litres for the price of 5 as it says on the bottle, '1 litre extra. Free'.

Duh? Free? TiT :o

Ah well, that is enterprise for you

Happy Holidays....... R U on Holiday?

if not then all over the place are machines... you fill up your empty 5 or 6 lt bottle, most are 1 baht per lt [self service]

++ if your near a big Condo building they normally have machines in there car parks..

If you live here then buy a 20lt [deposit 90 baht] I get my 20 lt bottles refilled for 10 baht this is with delivery, friend near to BKK pays 12 baht per 20 lts

Free?

There is no such thing. You pay it one way or another.

in thailand thing are given away free by companies promoting there wares ,the shp keeper never give you them ,they wait a couple of months and then sell them to you :o

This reminds me of a situtiuon that is ongoing. How many times do you go in a bar and bar ladies attempt to take your bottle or glass and there is still 2 baht's worth still in it ??? :D

Ah, but they make it undrinkable by giving it a good shake - so you may as well let them have it. :o

I would be VERY careful about drinking the bottled water offered in large (20-25 liter) bottles, unless it is from a reputable company.

I drive past a big garbage dump every day, and just next door is a water bottling operation. Do they pay city water prices and purify that further? Don't think so, they most probably have a shallow well, and the rest you can imagine, like seepage from the dump... For 2 B/liter, how often do you think they replace filters and broken UV lamps? Dream on!

In many cases, the city water is better for you than bottled water (I am not talking about Evian et Al).

In the long run, I would recommend a proper filtration system in your house. With zeolites, anti-bio and finally a 3-stage filter for full drinking water quality. Reverse osmosis I am not so sure about, unless you need to remove large amounts of salt from the water.

It will not be the cheapest water around, but it will be safe and very healthy, no scaling or staining, and you can cut out all the plastic bottles; both handling and the problem with energy/resource/pollution.

Good luck!

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

This reminds me of a situtiuon that is ongoing. How many times do you go in a bar and bar ladies attempt to take your bottle or glass and there is still 2 baht's worth still in it ??? :o

If they try that, I bit her hand.

This reminds me of a situtiuon that is ongoing. How many times do you go in a bar and bar ladies attempt to take your bottle or glass and there is still 2 baht's worth still in it ??? :D

Ah, but they make it undrinkable by giving it a good shake - so you may as well let them have it. :o

Jeez. Usually when I go into my favorite bars, the bar girls give "something else" a good "shake" and it definitely costs me more money than the two bahts worth of booze they pour down the drain. :D

I would be VERY careful about drinking the bottled water offered in large (20-25 liter) bottles, unless it is from a reputable company.

I drive past a big garbage dump every day, and just next door is a water bottling operation. Do they pay city water prices and purify that further? Don't think so, they most probably have a shallow well, and the rest you can imagine, like seepage from the dump... For 2 B/liter, how often do you think they replace filters and broken UV lamps? Dream on!

I have heard (I didn't corroborate) that many of the large 20-25 liter jugs are not cleaned thoroughly sometimes. These containers are recycled, of course.

You can have the water tested for free somewhere in the city, if you want.

I only buy Aquafina and La Vie in 5 liter bottles.

was at the robinson store at the corner rama IV /silom last weekend. saw some of these french coffee maker on sale "buy one get one for free"

was thinking about to buying one ahead (and get a second for free) cause i tend to broke the glass of these coffeemaker quite often. price was 590 baht (for two), i take a closer look at the package, there was an old price tag - only 290 baht (for one). okay, left the store without coffee maker but a smile.