How Long In Thailand Before Apply For Another Visa To Oz?

My GF is out here on a 3 month visa and goes back in a few weeks.

We want her to apply for a 12 month ME visa on her return but I presume there is no set time to spend in Thailand before a visa will be issued.

If I had my way she'd get a taxi from the airport to the embassy, stay in Bangkok 5 days then come back to Australia however I doubt the embassy would agree with me...

My birthday is mid Feb and I'd like her here by then - do you think this would hold any sway in the embassies mind? She would have to apply 2-3 weeks after returning for this. Alternatively if she applied after 2 weeks and its rejected (likely on too short in Thailand), would this harm a subsequent application, or worse they stipulate a timeframe longer than if we simply waited.

I am sure the rest of her application will not be a problem as it will be considerably stronger than the first one, its simply the time...

Does anyone have a feel for the MINIMUM amount of time we should wait before applying for the next visa? For those of you who have applied after a short time please share with us the number of days or weeks.

My girl went to the vfs the day after she arrived back in Bangkok after a 3 month visitors visa, 5 days later we booked her ticket back to Melbourne.

Thats great, but surprising! When the embassy called her did they say anything about applying 1 day after coming back to Thailand?

No not a word mate, they just rang and said your passport is ready, which could mean anything as they don't say yes or no to approvals over the phone. She has just arrived back in Bangkok on Monday night and was at VFS Tuesday with her Prospective Marriage application :o so fingers crossed it won't be a problem again.

No not a word mate, they just rang and said your passport is ready, which could mean anything as they don't say yes or no to approvals over the phone. She has just arrived back in Bangkok on Monday night and was at VFS Tuesday with her Prospective Marriage application :D so fingers crossed it won't be a problem again.

As I said, I'm surprised but very pleasantly! Was that for a 3 or 12 month new visa? And did you address the quick application in your support letter at all?

Has anyone else attempted such a rapid visa renewl? I'm sure with how I feel about my GF leaving many must have...

Also does anyone know of an Oz visa specifically refused for coming back from Oz too recently?

Good luck with the marriage application figjam2 :o

I know of 3 people have have done the same thing over the past year. The waiting time 3 to 5 days. However 2 of them used an 'agent" and both got 12 months mulitiple entry. The 3rd only got another 3 months.

I dont think you should have any problems at all. The only thing that may come up is if your partner was employed and you provided proof in your initial application. Will she still have a job to come back to was the question put to a friend of mine. Took him the best part of 2 weeks to sort that one out.

Thansk for the comments. I think we will apply very soon after her returning. Work was not mentioned in the initial application, my supporting her was so that should be ok.

Graham, I presume that the issue of a 3 or 12 month visa is purely at the discession of the reviewing embassy staff but do you have any thoughts on what sort of criteria may make them grant a 3 instead of 12 which we could then attempt to address in the app.? (Yes, getting off topic sorry...)

I was in the same position this year with my lady getting first a three month tourist visa to Oz and as soon as she went back she applied again and got the option of a 12 month visa with exit every threee months or a six month visa. The six month visa required a medical check but in the end we went for the 12 month visa which is more flexible for us but more expensive with having to buy tickets.

I didn't use a visa service i just used all the information kindly provided by this board.

Edited by Tolley

Thansk for the comments. I think we will apply very soon after her returning. Work was not mentioned in the initial application, my supporting her was so that should be ok.

Graham, I presume that the issue of a 3 or 12 month visa is purely at the discession of the reviewing embassy staff but do you have any thoughts on what sort of criteria may make them grant a 3 instead of 12 which we could then attempt to address in the app.? (Yes, getting off topic sorry...)

Yes, it is at the discretion of the Embassy, It is not so much what the criteria is for them to grant a 12 month visa but rather what is the criteria for them not to grant it, I cant really answer that.

I think though that it is important on the next application to make sure you include evidence from her first trip...especially photos...even boarding passes which will show the arrival and departure dates.

I was in the same position this year with my lady getting first a three month tourist visa to Oz and as soon as she went back she applied again and got the option of a 12 month visa with exit every threee months or a six month visa. The six month visa required a medical check but in the end we went for the 12 month visa which is more flexible for us but more expensive with having to buy tickets.

I didn't use a visa service i just used all the information kindly provided by this board.

Thats a new one on me....usually they dont give the option....for instance a few people I know ticked the 3 month box and got 12 month visas....some ticked the 12 month box and got 3 month visas...I havent heard of anyone getting a 6 month visa for a long time even though it is still an offered option.

Usually in Thailand tickets to Oz are sold as 60 day tickets or 1 year tickets...so if she had a three month visa and came for 3 months then she would have to buy a 1 year ticket any way.

The six month visa as it turns out would have been a better option as we are coming back to Thailand at the end of January as my contract ends here and not sure where i will be going next.

One question on the twelve month visa.

Reading the visa it says that she must enter Thailand no later than July 2008.

Does this mean this is the last entry date and then you get three months more from then?

The six month visa as it turns out would have been a better option as we are coming back to Thailand at the end of January as my contract ends here and not sure where i will be going next.

One question on the twelve month visa.

Does this mean this is the last entry date and then you get three months more from then?

Correct....she can come as many times as she wants for upto 3 months each time and will be allowed to enter up until the date given on the visa....if she enters Oz on that date then she can stay for three months...it is effectively a 15 month visa.

Yes, it is at the discretion of the Embassy, It is not so much what the criteria is for them to grant a 12 month visa but rather what is the criteria for them not to grant it, I cant really answer that.

I think though that it is important on the next application to make sure you include evidence from her first trip...especially photos...even boarding passes which will show the arrival and departure dates.

Ok address the reasons not to issue. We have plenty of photos from vic and qld and she keeps my boarding passes as well as hers. My folks could write stat decs, would the main point of them to say they spent time with us and it all looks genuine or they serve another purpose?

Also she spent a night in hospital a after potentially fatal food reaction. Cost me over $1k, would this be good evidence of my commitment to pay for here in Oz or could this be a red flag that she may not make it back next time!? In in debate to include this or not...

Sorry Tolley, you mean Australia? I presume the visa was issued July 2007? So as Graham said this works like a 3 month visa in that you get 3 months if you enter by the "no later enter date". So say she comes out 2 weeks after the visas issued you get 14.5 months potentially?

Wasn't aware of 15 months, thats a nice bonus! :o

Ok address the reasons not to issue. We have plenty of photos from vic and qld and she keeps my boarding passes as well as hers. My folks could write stat decs, would the main point of them to say they spent time with us and it all looks genuine or they serve another purpose?

Also she spent a night in hospital a after potentially fatal food reaction. Cost me over $1k, would this be good evidence of my commitment to pay for here in Oz or could this be a red flag that she may not make it back next time!? In in debate to include this or not...

I think you should be fine, if you just submit some up to date correspondance and pics form her visit here with the same as you submitted last time.

As long as she has complied with the conditions of her previous visa then there is no problem

Dont mention the hospital stay....it is not necessary as you paid the costs...and yes, it could complicate matters or at least attract a please explain and a possible medical check.

Graham

If you are granted a 12 month multple entry 675 visa you may be able to after the second entry and apply about 14 days before the visa holder must depart apply for a visa 675 for a stay not exceeding 6 months.

Apply at your nearest DIAC office. The fee is $215, a chest X -ray is required (approx $72), proof of return air ticket plus financial details re support while in Australia.

In my case in was straightforward as we were legally married. If the applicant has claimed TGF status as the "relationship" it may be a different matter but you can always ask at the DIAC office.

They asked me if she intended to apply for a 309/100 visa in Bangkok as we were married and I replied that " it was under consideration"and we would be in the near future. The DIAC officer said she had mentioned this as they would not issue an indefinite number of 675 visas as there was a limit after which 675 visas would not be issued.

I only had to pay $3000 for airfares instead of $6000 this way.

Edited by david96

If you are granted a 12 month multple entry 675 visa you may be able to after the second entry and apply about 14 days before the visa holder must depart apply for a visa 675 for a stay not exceeding 6 months.

Apply at your nearest DIAC office. The fee is $215, a chest X -ray is required (approx $72), proof of return air ticket plus financial details re support while in Australia.

In my case in was straightforward as we were legally married. If the applicant has claimed TGF status as the "relationship" it may be a different matter but you can always ask at the DIAC office.

They asked me if she intended to apply for a 309/100 visa in Bangkok as we were married and I replied that " it was under consideration"and we would be in the near future. The DIAC officer said she had mentioned this as they would not issue an indefinite number of 675 visas as there was a limit after which 675 visas would not be issued.

It is unlikely that a 6 month visa would be granted while the 12 month ME visa is in force....I dont say it would not be....just that it is unlikely.

Since they started issuing the 12 month ME visa....we havent had any reports on the limit of visas issued....most of us have gone for the spouse visa after the 12 month one expired. So it is untested waters as to whether they would issue another visa after, say....a 3 month followed by a 12 month ME...or other combinations. Yes there was a limit of 3 x 3 month tourist visas and then they would ask for a spouse visa to be applied for.

The purpose of the 12 month ME issue seems to be to reduce the number of applications being processed, I think also they looked at it and thought that if a couple spend the best part of a year together then they would just as soon apply for one form of the spouse visa or another....seems to be working as far as I can tell.

It is unlikely that a 6 month visa would be granted while the 12 month ME visa is in force....I dont say it would not be....just that it is unlikely.

Since they started issuing the 12 month ME visa....we havent had any reports on the limit of visas issued....most of us have gone for the spouse visa after the 12 month one expired. So it is untested waters as to whether they would issue another visa after, say....a 3 month followed by a 12 month ME...or other combinations. Yes there was a limit of 3 x 3 month tourist visas and then they would ask for a spouse visa to be applied for.

The purpose of the 12 month ME issue seems to be to reduce the number of applications being processed, I think also they looked at it and thought that if a couple spend the best part of a year together then they would just as soon apply for one form of the spouse visa or another....seems to be working as far as I can tell.

No problem if the applicant meets the criteria, we went to the nearest DIAC office, asked them if it was possible, DIAC supplied a 48R form, filled it in correctly, paid by CC, supplied X -ray and financial statements along with air ticket. The whole operation took 5 working days. The old visa was cancelled and a new 675 visa is affixed in the applicants passport.

Note--DIAC may refuse a tourist visa 675 if they think you are trying to use it as a "defacto spouse visa" and will suggest that you apply for the correct visa for your circumstances.

Reason to return, financial requirements and proof of air ticket is what DIAC is looking for.

My g/f is here now on her 2nd 3 month visa.Her first had stamped on it 8503 no further stay.The 2nd one does not have this on it but she has to return after 3 months,but I am under the belief that she can apply here in Aust. for a tourist visa before she leaves for a later date after she returns to Thailand.I am ringing Immi.Dept. today to check.

Thommo.

Edited by thommo46

My g/f is here now on her 2nd 3 month visa.Her first had stamped on it 8503 no further stay.The 2nd one does not have this on it but she has to return after 3 months,but I am under the belief that she can apply here in Aust. for a tourist visa before she leaves for a later date after she returns to Thailand.I am ringing Immi.Dept. today to check.

Thommo.

Your TGF may well be eligible for an onshore application if the criteria is met, one can only find out by requesting information from DIAC as you are doing. Good luck.

Interesting reading.

I have a mate who took his TGF to Oz on 3 months Visa's for about 6 times and then the last time the Embassy told him that they would have to apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa or Fiance' Visa or what ever it's called.

They did so through an agent and whilst a bit slow, she got the Visa and is back in Oz.

We're still hanging by a thread waiting for my wife to get her spouse visa. When we went for the interview, my having worked here for the past 2 years appeared to be a sticking point. Even though I have guaranteed work back home and this has been provided to me in a Stat Dec.

We didn't get married to be split up, so fingers crossed.

Very good post though. So many different stories and information.

Thanks.

Big Paulee.

Really there's no rules regarding when you can apply for a visa, it's what the Australian Embassy deems appropiate at the time of application and I'm sure mutiple HOLIDAYS in the same 12 months wouldn't be classed as an appropiate reason. In my case my wife went to Oz on a 3 months visa as my gf, then the following year we married with a wedding certificate in Bangkok and we went to Australia for our honeymoon after she had received a 6 months visa. The officer told her no more and that she had to apply for a spouse visa if she wants to go to Australia again. We live in Bangkok, we have our own house and I'm well settled here, I have a good monthly income from my supa, all we want is to be able to go back to Australia for a 2 month holiday every 2 years or so to see our family and friends. We've lived together now for 5 years, married for 4, the last time we were even asked for wedding photos of the wedding reception we DIDN'T have and when I explained that there was no reception because my wife comes from a large family and they're scattered all over Thailand the officer got real stroppy, so what do I have to do to prove our relationship is real, she doesn't work and that's because I don't want her to and besides we don't need the extra money. Both times she's visited Australia she has never worked and I made sure she never overstayed. As I'm not living in Australia why should I have to go through all the hassles and cost of a spouse visa just to take my wife for a short holiday, isn't it my right as an Australian born citizen, who paid taxes for 45 years my entire working life to take my legally married wife back to my country of birth for short holidays as I see fit. There's people getting entry to Australia everyday from other countries I haven't got a problem with refugees etc but why does Australia have to grovel over people from other countries and neglect their own and it also goes for the aged pension when living overseas as well, it appears that the less you contributed to Australia the more you're entitled to, let's see if the new government changes things, I very much doubt it because people such as me are to far away from Australia for the government to get any impact helping Australians such as me.

Yes, this seems to be a sticking point with some ex pats....And I agree....Why should you apply for a spouse visa when you are not intending at this point in time to live in Oz.

Perhaps a letter to the head honcho in the BKK Embassy may be an idea....explain the situation and try to get something from him in writing to allow for further tourist visas for your wife.

It seems that the staff get this fixed idea in their heads and wont deviate from it.

Really there's no rules regarding when you can apply for a visa, it's what the Australian Embassy deems appropiate at the time of application and I'm sure mutiple HOLIDAYS in the same 12 months wouldn't be classed as an appropiate reason. In my case my wife went to Oz on a 3 months visa as my gf, then the following year we married with a wedding certificate in Bangkok and we went to Australia for our honeymoon after she had received a 6 months visa. The officer told her no more and that she had to apply for a spouse visa if she wants to go to Australia again. We live in Bangkok, we have our own house and I'm well settled here, I have a good monthly income from my supa, all we want is to be able to go back to Australia for a 2 month holiday every 2 years or so to see our family and friends. We've lived together now for 5 years, married for 4, the last time we were even asked for wedding photos of the wedding reception we DIDN'T have and when I explained that there was no reception because my wife comes from a large family and they're scattered all over Thailand the officer got real stroppy, so what do I have to do to prove our relationship is real, she doesn't work and that's because I don't want her to and besides we don't need the extra money. Both times she's visited Australia she has never worked and I made sure she never overstayed. As I'm not living in Australia why should I have to go through all the hassles and cost of a spouse visa just to take my wife for a short holiday, isn't it my right as an Australian born citizen, who paid taxes for 45 years my entire working life to take my legally married wife back to my country of birth for short holidays as I see fit. There's people getting entry to Australia everyday from other countries I haven't got a problem with refugees etc but why does Australia have to grovel over people from other countries and neglect their own and it also goes for the aged pension when living overseas as well, it appears that the less you contributed to Australia the more you're entitled to, let's see if the new government changes things, I very much doubt it because people such as me are to far away from Australia for the government to get any impact helping Australians such as me.

From your post you indicate that it was 4 years since your wife applied for a tourist visa.You are legally married. If your wife applied now for a tourist visa it would most probably be granted provided she met the criteria.

Did you receive any correspondence from DIAC in Bangkok stating that you must apply for spouse visa 4 years ago? The officer may have only been forwarning you. Maybe it was something in your application at the time that attracted the officers attention.

From your post you indicate that it was 4 years since your wife applied for a tourist visa.You are legally married. If your wife applied now for a tourist visa it would most probably be granted provided she met the criteria.

Did you receive any correspondence from DIAC in Bangkok stating that you must apply for spouse visa 4 years ago? The officer may have only been forwarning you. Maybe it was something in your application at the time that attracted the officers attention.

From experience here....once warned it sticks....obviously a note goes on the file to say "no more Tourist visas"

This was a common thing prior to the issuing of the 12 month ME visas as a regular thing. There were a number of posts about this a couple of years ago.

Thats why I suggested contacting the head honcho, that is about the only way to get it changed.

Mason 45

I know how you feel not every one wants to come and live in australia

like you I travel back and forward to au and had the same thing put to me but I spoke with head bloke and explained and he was very understanding and we are entitled to tourist visas for our wives

she is a tourist not a permament visitor

as long as she doesnt break any rules she is fine

if she was a celb she would not be chalenged but every one assumes just a poor farm girl looking for money

happieness does not come in to the picture

good luck and happy new year

Thanks everyone for your help, by the way I forgot to mention that my wife was refused a 3 months visa 18 months ago citing that it was inappropiate at that time, no mention was ever made on what grounds the application was deemed inappropiate. She was handed a letter which was written in legal jargon and it appeared that it was a standard letter given to everyone who was refused a visa for what ever reason except they change the name of the recipient. I again stress that my wife has never breached any Australian immigration laws on previous visas, I still have my own home in Melbourne, a very good monthly income and a large sum in my superannuation, so why the hassles. Could anyone please tell me the name of the " head honcho " in regards to this matter.

Thanks everyone for your help, by the way I forgot to mention that my wife was refused a 3 months visa 18 months ago citing that it was inappropiate at that time, no mention was ever made on what grounds the application was deemed inappropiate. She was handed a letter which was written in legal jargon and it appeared that it was a standard letter given to everyone who was refused a visa for what ever reason except they change the name of the recipient. I again stress that my wife has never breached any Australian immigration laws on previous visas, I still have my own home in Melbourne, a very good monthly income and a large sum in my superannuation, so why the hassles. Could anyone please tell me the name of the " head honcho " in regards to this matter.

You could address your complaint to one of the following at the Australian Embassy, Bangkok.

Principal Migration Officer

Principal Migration Officer (Compliance)

Regional Director

Senior Migration Officer (Compliance)

Senior Migration Officer (Trafficking)

Senior Migration Officers

The Regional Director might be your best bet, send letter by registered mail or EMS.