What Is Your Hobby

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycling - about 600kms/month but this month I have been laid up with shingles! My road bike was rebuilt about 12 years ago at a cost (then) of the equivalent of about 250,000 B. The bike does need revising now - lower gears (I am getting too old to push the big gears.) and wider wheels but I am reluctant to change. The bike was rebuilt by a good friend and bike mechanic/wheel builder who died of cancer just over 12 months ago. I knew Alan for over 30 years and have lost count of the number of wheels he built for me so I intend to retire the bike (she's in semi-retirement now) and keep it in the same condition as a tribute to a true friend and gentleman.

I will be 60 next year and am planning to get a custom made bike. I have already selected the frame builder, colour scheme and equipment - I'll let you know the final cost.

How much do I spend on my hobby? Well, I now go down to my local bike shop with just sufficient money for what I need!

Photography.

I try and get out and take photographs every week and currently average about 15,000 shots a year.

I try not to think about the cost, but purely in terms of equipment, maybe 100,000 baht a year, but if you were to add in the cost of travelling and what not for the purposes of photography, you could add a bit more to the total finances spent on it.

Yesterday I decided it was time I got a hobby, and when I spottetd a remote controlled helicopter for 1500 baht, I got one.

My new hobby lasted exactly 10 minutes....and now sits on top of the clothes cabinet as a pile of broken plastic... :o

Growing palm trees here in the UK Birmingham see garden here http://community.webshots.com/user/pmrose18

I like motorbikes here was the last one I had a 2000 spec FINAL EDITION SUZUKI KATANA 1100 IMPORTED FROM JAPAN http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2036750790032673575KGWqLm

Planning my garden now in Thailand, Hua Hin and getting seeds from the palm trees in the local parks to grow more palm trees!!

Playing the guitar . . . so on average I don't spend much but for new strings and plectrums. However after 18 years of playing humbuckered rock guitars (currently a Peavey EVH . . which has been my sole one for 8 of those years) I am now getting the hankering to buy a twangy fender either a Tele or Strat. So I might just blow a $1000 or so sooner or later!

Although for any guitarists reading this the strat I am a little concerned about the action and play ability. As my friend purchase a Texan Special version and it was a dog! Whatever I tried to set it up it ended up with either more fret buzz or a higher action than a cheapo chinese rep! Really was terrible - I hasten to add I do know how to setup guitars - I setup the same friends old 50s Electro Acoustic to play better than his strat! His Dad (whose guitar it was previously) said it'd never played so good . . so I do know what I am doing! So any Strat or Telecaster players who can reassure my mind (drop me a PM!). :o

Two totally opposite hobbies:

- Formula 1, in particular the technology behind. (I have always been a technology freak)

- Astrophysics

For the first, I miss a bit being away from the scene (I used to go to Modena every month and attend a few races every year), so I consume dozens of magazines and books, but for the second I met a fantastic guy here in Bangkok, Professor for Nuclear Physics and and true Humanists. Great to discuss with him.

Recently I got also interested in History, in particular Chinese and South East Asian History, but still in its infancy

Over my life time I have had many.

But due to living in Thailand, they have shifted. Right now they are:

1) Aquaculture. I am raising up Red Claw crawfish. Apparently they are native to Austrailia. I grew up in an area of the world that likes to eat crawfish, so now I decided to make my own farm. Started out with a half dozen or so. Now I have hit critical mass. Soon I will be eating some of these critters.

2) Head Set design. If you know what Ultimate Ear, Etymotic Research etc. is, that is essentially what I do at work. Oh there are many other things I do at work, but right now developing IEMs is our new project.... and I love it!

Writing books about my experiences during many years on operations with special forces. :o

Countless people in various bars in pattaya,know of me & my not so secret missions in various parts of the world :D So I thought it only fair to write a series of books about it,& share it with the rest of you.

Fishing is one of them but I am used to 10-20 kilo Mahi Mahis 15+ kilo Onos Sailfish- Marlin & nice size Uluas(Jack fish family ) In Maui. On My Boat I sold before moving to Thailand.Here I can catch 80 -100 super nit naui's or go to a fishing farm & catch big catfish but not the same.

I love excersize-working on our modest farm-Something about eating the fruits of your labors & surrounding yourself with Beauty you had a hand in creating!

When I go back every year to the U.S It is all about Horsepower . This year I will finish My Rat 427 Ford(Big brother of the 4 bolt main BOSS) & will drop it into a 1973 Dodge Challenger. Should be 595 Horsepower according to the calculations & the high tech electronics I have added. I will get a chance to chum with my good buds Kenny Bernstein

NHRA & see how it does.I guess your only as old as you feel. If Bira circuit can come up with a real track I would consider bring my monster (R3- MOTOR TYPE) Mazda RX8 up here & show the boys what a real race machine can do.It needs a flat track to go the mach speeds it was intended to do! Maybe in 2040 they will have a track!

So far Farming has my vote up in Thailand!

Edited by Beardog

Fishing is one of them but I am used to 10-20 kilo Mahi Mahis 15+ kilo Onos Sailfish- Marlin & nice size Uluas(Jack fish family ) In Maui. On My Boat I sold before moving to Thailand.Here I can catch 80 -100 super nit naui's or go to a fishing farm & catch big catfish but not the same.

I love excersize-working on our modest farm-Something about eating the fruits of your labors & surrounding yourself with Beauty you had a hand in creating!

When I go back every year to the U.S It is all about Horsepower . This year I will finish My Rat 427 Ford(Big brother of the 4 bolt main BOSS) & will drop it into a 1973 Dodge Challenger. Should be 595 Horsepower according to the calculations & the high tech electronics I have added. I will get a chance to chum with my good buds Kenny Bernstein

NHRA & see how it does.I guess your only as old as you feel. If Bira circuit can come up with a real track I would consider bring my monster (R3- MOTOR TYPE) Mazda RX8 up here & show the boys what a real race machine can do.It needs a flat track to go the mach speeds it was intended to do! Maybe in 2040 they will have a track!

Back home had similar hobies/loves. Loved off shore fisshing. Absolutley loved it, a close second was my BMW E36 M3.

Here in Thailand my hobbies are flying a CH701 Zenair and a Cessna 177rg. Spend about $10,000USD/year. I just bought a Crownline 240LS bowrider speedboat and budget another $10,000 or so for that. I love the sea and the sky and the mountains.

Here in Thailand my hobbies are flying a CH701 Zenair and a Cessna 177rg. Spend about $10,000USD/year. I just bought a Crownline 240LS bowrider speedboat and budget another $10,000 or so for that. I love the sea and the sky and the mountains.

Where you get on your Zenair? Never knew Thailand has that kinda thing.

Where you get on your Zenair? Never knew Thailand has that kinda thing.

Zenair was imported from Czech Republic by dealer in Thailand; there are at least 6 or 7 in Thailand and lots of grass strips throughout the country to land at. I base mine at a grass airstrip north of Chaam.

Zenair was imported from Czech Republic by dealer in Thailand; there are at least 6 or 7 in Thailand and lots of grass strips throughout the country to land at. I base mine at a grass airstrip north of Chaam.

I see and also your new toy 240LS also speeding in Chaam?

With the price of gas only go higher and higher.... I can not afford any hobbies that involve gasoline!

Might have to pick up sailing!

Back home had similar hobies/loves. Loved off shore fisshing. Absolutley loved it, a close second was my BMW E36 M3.

I see your hobbies are similar. I was afraid to post the price part of it but when it comes to enjoyment you can't count what you spend if its worth it . If you have a passion for your hobby go for it. In the end when you look back it is all about memories, they don't have to be expensive(& they don't make you any cooler if they are )-just enjoyable to do something that brings happiness to your life!

My hobbies when I lived in Europe were travel and food. I used to relish the thought of a weekend away in some place with a new hotel and trying some new local cuisine. My wife at the time also liked these adventures. Longer distance travel is what brought me into contact with Thailand. Living here now, with a new daughter, I find myself rather tied and I'm trying to get my missus interested in getting around thailand more but she refuses to visit the south, an area that i love. Perhaps one day.

2 hobbies:

- Learning languages. I enjoy learning/studying languages and am proficient in Thai, French and Italian. Now I'm learning to read/write/speak Arabic, with some Malay thrown in as well, (the latter is a very easy language to learn!).

- Radio. I'm a radio amateur and am in the process of getting my shortwave transmitter set up here in Phuket at my hotel. Visiting radio amateurs from other countries will also be able to use the station. I also enjoy listening to broadcast radio. I have a very large and expensive ex-military receiver at my hotel. Since I'm up at all hours of the night (when customers arrive at the hotel), I can listen to my radio for a short time before going back to bed :o

Simon

I have hobbies but no time for them :o

I love to play mmorpgs (massive multiplayer online roleplay games) but they are just such a huge time sink that i can't really touch them right now. i also play basketball a couple of times and just ordered a longboard (skateboard) from the states to roll around. No more jumping and tricks for me.

Besides that my wife and me try to experiment in the kitchen and cook all sorts of dishes. Even though it's a pity that i don't have enough time for my hobbies i do love my work so its not all that bad.

I see your hobbies are similar. I was afraid to post the price part of it but when it comes to enjoyment you can't count what you spend if its worth it . If you have a passion for your hobby go for it. In the end when you look back it is all about memories, they don't have to be expensive(& they don't make you any cooler if they are )-just enjoyable to do something that brings happiness to your life!

I didn't mention price regarding my hobbies, but when it comes to something like that..... price spoils the fun, & so I really do not want to know. If I had to guess, I may have spent 10K baht on crawfish, maybe more. They can run about 250 baht for a mature adult. I have seen them being retailed for 3K, beautiful specimens.... but I don't care about the looks, I only want to eat the critter.