Thai Dancing - Where To Learn?

simon43

OK, please no jokes here :o

Last week I was in Phuket with GF and was called upon to do some Thai classical dancing. Needless to say, I had sod-all idea of what to do and so danced around a few times with my fingers curling backwards and wrists rotating....

Of course, this went down a storm with the local Thais, whose now assume that all farangs are complete plonkers and natural comedians :D

My GF danced gracefully as a butterfly ...

So .... I want to surprise her at the next dancing event!! Where in Bangkok (I'm in Silom), can I learn the rudiments of Thai classical dancing (for men). And I'm sure there are 100 different types of Thai dancing, but I have to start somewhere :D

Even if she is not impressed with my dancing skills, I might start a new career as the only farang to dance the Thai fandango :D (Hang on! methinks dancing is a protected employment type - bugger!!)

Unfortunatly, even after classes you will still be funny to them - a farang trying to Thai dance. Its the same way that Thais that you have just met laugh at your spoken Thai, even though you said it perfectly. It just unusual, so funny.

I know what you mean though. I was pulled up at a Thai village wedding in Thorn (Lumpang). It was May (several years back) and about 40 degrees. The "dance floor" was sand with three desk fans aimed at it (like they made any difference outdoors). between being passed the glass of northern whisky (moonshine) at the end of each round of dancers - funny how it seemed to come around every couple of minutes, and always seemed near full - I had to dance. All the women had sat down and were watching me and a dozen or so men hop on the sand and twirl our wrists. Some guy kept throwing jugs of water at my calves and feet in a continuous flow - thinking I was going to internally combust from mt ancles perhaps - and a jug on the head/shoulders whenever he got bored giving me trench foot. I was a great source of amusement. :D:D

Great day though - especially as I didn't know who the newly weds were or anyone really other than my Grandmother-in-law-to-be (still courting at the time, Grandma was acting as chaperone - oh boy was she!) who lived in the village. The groom still came and perfusly thanked me for coming (both set of parents too!) - they would not let me put money in the collection pot though - saying "guest, guest" in English they got from somewhere (didn't seem to understand or say anything else - curious first word I thought). My Thai, at the time, was rather limited - especially in the northern language they were all chatting in. :D

Anyway - good luck on the classes. It may be hard to find a class, as most Thai's learn as kids. May be better to get a private tutor. Ask someone you know that will not grass to the Mrs and spoil it (women is the best source) they may know womeone who could tutor you. :o

I've always been one of those types who looks like an Uncle at a wedding when I dance. (In the Western style). However, it's difficult for any Farang not to look silly when dancing Thai style but that's not the point. One drunken evening in My girls home village, some of the locals came round and we all got nicely drunk. I of course was made to dance and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite looking silly. The locals thought it was fantastic to see me making the effort and we had a splendid wheeze.

Shortly afterwards, they made it clear to me that they now genuinely considered me to be one of them. It made my year. :o

I have a friend who used to teach thai dance in BKK, she will be in Belgium until mid-October visiting family and performing (she plays that xzylophone-like instrument with strings). I don't know how much work she has waiting for her when she gets back, but if you are interested PM me.