Visa run to penang

robertT

can anyone recommend a cheap (less than $50 but not backpacker) but comfortable hotel in Penang? Talking about AC, ensuite western toilet, cable TV and mini bar close to the action...no need for swimming pools and the like. I have a 3 day visa renewal run to do and want to do it quick and cheap. Looks like I will have to do my own accomodation arrangements and separate flight arrangements. It appears that packages only come with expensive $100+ per night hotels.

Help us out so that we can establish a thaivisa link in this regard, ie., cheapest way to do a visa renewal run from Don Muang to Penang without having to stay in a rat infested dump.

Senior members...what do you recommend?

Trev...thanks for the info...I'm waiting for a reply from him.

Try the Penang YMCA....room rates very resonable....  clean,

air-con and with modern facilities. Food at the YMCA cafateria also cheap and good. For budget travellers... local and foreign visitors. Popular for family visitors. Also have sports facilities, and etc. :o

Thank you for your reply. To your first question , very simple ..get a cab and say YMCA. It is really a family place...

they even have ballroom dancing once in a while. They have..

tennis court, and other indoor and out activities.

To your second question, this is a very multi racial country....

majority Malays, then about 40% Chinese, then Indians, and other races.

Regards,

charlie

:o

Charlie...thank you very much for your information. Other readers please note...if you went to Istambul, Abu Dhabi or Jakarta you would not find a YMCA as described above. That is why I had my doubts regarding Charlie's first reply. Another good reference for Penang visa run seekers.

All the best

'sometimes stumbling

falling down

almost level with the ground

Lord I done my best now I want my crown...'

Mercy...

Hi Robert,

For your info. YMCA Penang Tel. No: 04-2288211.

Also for your info.... Penang (the second largest city)....a very unique city..... city's majority is ethnic Chinese in a majority muslim Malay country. The only State out of the 13 States in Malaysia which has the only ethnic  Chinese as

Chief Minister of Penang state. Penang... a very favourite holiday destination for local and foreign visitors. Plenty of food to eat and plenty of interesting places to visit.

Have a good time and have a nice day.

Regards,

charlie :o

Robert,

In september i stayed at the oriental hotel on Penang road.

It's a high rise right opposite the Soho pub. Decent sized rooms with air-con and TV.

I think it cost RM65 a night.  Very nice reception staff, next time i'm in Penang i'll stay there.

Oh, no mini bar but the pub over the road makes up for it.

mark

Another reasonably priced place is on Lebuh Chulia, opposite the Hang Cheow Guest house. Can't remember the name but its the only 10 storey plus hotel on the road, cost about RM50 , has mini bar , Sat, 24 hour room service. Its a bit more central than other decent hotels, has an Indian Restaurant in the basement, brill food and service.

Every min cab/ trishaw driver will know Lebuh Chulia, its right at the top, past all the dodgy Chinese guest houses, alsi a adecent place for an Evening out is tthe 20/20 Pub on Lebuh Leith, #### good beer and entertainment, and the odd Doxey hanging about!

Chonabot,

I think the hotel you're refering to is the Oriental, the one i recomended in my earlier post.  your description matches it, and the Oriental has an Indian restaurant in the basement, i think.

By the way, what's a "doxey"?

Oriental Hotel is on the corner of Penang and Chulia so that is probably it.  Would not be my choice as found the Hotel Continental further down Penang to be a much better value.  Only stayed in Oriental one time, and one time for the next hotel (Merchant).  It is a good location as within walking distance of most places in the city.

Chonabot,  there were quite a few doxeys in the Soho pub

(Penang road) when i was there in september.

Towards the end of the night i got talking to a Malaysian man who started to introduce me to several of the young ladies in question.  He brought over a very young Chinese girl who couldn't speak English.

That was the first time i'd ever been to that pub, does anyone

know what the score is there?

A word of " caution " on Doxey here. Make " cock-sure " that the Doxey is not, I repeat not a Malay girl, otherwise you will face an unpleasant scenario here. I will explain in details:

Assuming A is a non-muslim and D is a muslim.... and both are found in a room (even with their pants on). Then D will be charged under Muslim law....if found guilty, pay a fine or sent to prison, or both. Nothing will happen to A, but however, A may have to attend as a witness. What happens if both are non-muslims? The answer is this. They can go " fly a kite " or fly to the moon, and come out unscathed. Keep smiling and have a nice day.

Regards,

charlie