Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

In this particular case it would be hard to punish the whole party

one man ruin TRT, so what make this any different.

TRT was dissolved because party execs were involved, and because the party as a whole hasn't done anything to correct the situation, tacitly approving it.

It's impossible to link VCD distribution to PPPs executives, only to local candidates.

I have no idea how it will play out, but what if Supreme Court rules that VCD distribution is illegal? The EC then could disqualify ALL PPP candidates in areas where VCDs have been found. Could be a lot, could be only in cases under investigation (out of current 65).

Back to reconciliation - at the moment it's like seeking truce between serial killers and their victims. What you need is justice, then you can talk about forgiveness. So far TRT/PPP/Thaksin refuses to admit any wrongdoing and refuses to accept any punishement.

True that PPP have to state they will abide by the rule of law and support legal judgements. However, a couple of points arise. PPP do represent a hel_l of a lot of people who have voted for them in an election under a constitutional system set up by their opponents. This is indisputable. Yes the final number is no doubt buoyed to some degree by vot ebuyiong but even allowing for this they are still the biggets party in terms of seats. Also for them to support the legal judgements the law must work netrally and not influenced by anyone. This of course equally means if the PPP get into power they must not try to influence the outcome of legal proceedings which of course is a fear of many of their opponents. Right now one of the issues is purely about trust. PPP dont trust the system to not discriminate against them and their opponents do not trust PPP to not influence every body they can in a non-neutral way if they come to power and basically drop all charges against everybody. Of course there is lots more of why neither side trusts one another. At the end of the day the choices are to keep fighting until one side is defeated totally, which could be kind of nasty or to compromise, but compromise means both sides backing down on certain things. And to be honest in this polarised set up who the serial killers are and who the victims are depends on which side you take. Yes the TRT drove a truck through the checks and balances and there are quite a number of dubious decisons and actions that need to come to legal completion and not just disappear. Checks and balances and legal process are part of the democratic equation and all these shoudl take place in a way where they are in no way at all influenced by the governemtn or the military. Similarly military coups are not legal actions even if the justification seems to be strong and then after accusing the TRT government of all kinds of destruction of checks and balances the new government didnt exactly do its best to ensure strict neutrality in this area. There have been a lot of abuses, mistakes, illegalities, some violence and strident divisive speech making going on from all directions. However, where Thailand is right now is not a nice place to be and unless some idea of national reconcilliation based around an agreed set of principles that all can trust can be come up with things will only get worse. Labelling things black and white has just about come to a total impasse as both sides themselves as white and the other as black. To continue this simplistic approach to politicking will only lead to more divisiveness.

When we talk of justice in the case of Mr. Thaksin there is an equal and opposite case for justice to be sevred in cases of military overthrow of government, and maybe both shoudl actually go to a non-interefered with court. that would certainly be better than a vile trade off of well our littel PPP government wont touch you soldier boys but at the same time you wont say anything when we disappear most of the charges against Thaksin and stop investigating the rest. A back door deal may welll this time not be the best way out. There is a real need for the acusations against Thaksin to be properly investigated and to go throught the court system not only for Thailand and Thaksins opponents but also for Thaksin. There is also arguably although it is against the present constitution a need for those responsible for a coup to be held accountable. In the real world of Thailand it is quite likely that the coup masters are well enough protected and that Thaksin now has enough sway to ensure neither of these thigns come to pass in any meaningful wayy although Mr. t may end up donating some large amount of Moolah to the tax or something. Sadly this will end uop just leaving Thailand open to further coups and further use of ministerships for self agrandisement, and sadly the country as divided as ever even if this will be papered over for a while in some kind of smileathon.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.. would the outcome of a by-election be any different? I somehow find it hard to believe that this will change the result, and the Buri-Ramese will now vote for the "Democrat" party en masse.

But anyway, let's roll.. do the by-election, move forward.

I completely agree that PPP , or a lookalike, is still very likely to win the by-election in Buriram.

The point is surely that the EC wishes to be seen to punish candidates who buy votes, or distribute illegal Thaksin VCDs, and to encourage the others to behave more-correctly, in future elections ? A laudable aim.

Where yellow carded the original winners will in all likelihood win again. However, where red carded as the party cannot run a different party will pick up the seats, which weakens the hand of the PPP further. However this strengthens the hands of the politcal whore parties.......... So you do away with a candidate who bought a few hundred votes and strengthen the hands of those parties that will sell themselves in totality to whoever will give them the most. An interesting messge to send out indeed.

Yes, I'm pretty convinced now that this 'vote' buying accusation, red-carding, etc, was all planned in advance of the election.

Look back at the shrill reporting by the Nation about dark forces at work planning mass vote buying - they went on and on about it.

The anti-populists were laying the foundation for disqualification - whether or not there was any vote buying. And this stupidity about distributing Thaksin VCD as a reason to nullify a candidate and ban his party from a by-election...what's that?

It just gets more juvenile by the day.

An interesting letter to the editor of the Bangkok Post today wondered what the international reaction would be to the throwing out of the election results to deny PPP from forming a minority government. I agree that will be interesting to see. Won't deter the establishment from making their planned moves though I am sure.....

Back to reconciliation - at the moment it's like seeking truce between serial killers and their victims. What you need is justice, then you can talk about forgiveness. So far TRT/PPP/Thaksin refuses to admit any wrongdoing and refuses to accept any punishement.

Two sets of serial killers if you ask me.

That's why people should first agree on what the main issue is. I sort of assumed everybody here understands it's about Thaksin, the legality of the coup is a non-issue in terms of the current stand off. The country is not divided because generals seized the power, it was divided long before that, so let's not get distracted on achieving full and complete justice for everyone ever involved in Thai politics for the past ten years. First things first.

The problem on Thaksin's side will never be solved if he keeps pointing fingers instead admitting HIS OWN wrongdoings. It won't lead anywhere.

PPP do represent a hel_l of a lot of people

The problem is that PPP represents Thaksin. If not for him it would be just another faceless party, I'm not sure it would even win this big without him (actually I'm pretty sure it wouldn't).

There are ways to keep PPP in the picture if they severe all ties to him. Something that could be the result of the conditions imposed by current coalition partners. Something Surapong stresses out in public everyday, but then, do you trust him?

Right now one of the issues is purely about trust. PPP dont trust the system to not discriminate against them

If you talk about EC's red carding them, yes, if you talk about Thaksin going through the court system - why should they bother at all? They claim to represent people, not Thaksin. Whether Thaksin has trust in the judicial system is another matter, he knows that he is guilty as charged, there's no wriggling out of this without accepting some kind of punishment.

Back to PPP - if they admit being Thaksin's nominees, too bad for them - there's punishment for that, too, and it doesn't really depend on the military Constitution - it is just plain wrong.

Whichever way you turn - it's all about Thaksin's refusal to accept his fate. Remove him from the equation and lots of conflicts will simply disappear.

That's why people should first agree on what the main issue is. I sort of assumed everybody here understands it's about Thaksin, the legality of the coup is a non-issue in terms of the current stand off. The country is not divided because generals seized the power, it was divided long before that, so let's not get distracted on achieving full and complete justice for everyone ever involved in Thai politics for the past ten years. First things first.

The problem on Thaksin's side will never be solved if he keeps pointing fingers instead admitting HIS OWN wrongdoings. It won't lead anywhere.

The problem is that PPP represents Thaksin. If not for him it would be just another faceless party, I'm not sure it would even win this big without him (actually I'm pretty sure it wouldn't).

There are ways to keep PPP in the picture if they severe all ties to him. Something that could be the result of the conditions imposed by current coalition partners. Something Surapong stresses out in public everyday, but then, do you trust him?

Right now one of the issues is purely about trust. PPP dont trust the system to not discriminate against them

If you talk about EC's red carding them, yes, if you talk about Thaksin going through the court system - why should they bother at all? They claim to represent people, not Thaksin. Whether Thaksin has trust in the judicial system is another matter, he knows that he is guilty as charged, there's no wriggling out of this without accepting some kind of punishment.

Back to PPP - if they admit being Thaksin's nominees, too bad for them - there's punishment for that, too, and it doesn't really depend on the military Constitution - it is just plain wrong.

Whichever way you turn - it's all about Thaksin's refusal to accept his fate. Remove him from the equation and lots of conflicts will simply disappear.

I 100% agree that Thaksin is one of the very big issues here.

But how should he be dealt with?

I see absolutely nothing to be gained in (1) him coming back to Thailand and (2) him being prosecuted for alleged wrongdoings. Give him back his assets on condition that he remains out of the country playing football manager.

Then I feel many of the rifts in Thai society are effectively healed...

Certainly many of the personal conflicts will disappear and the politcal ground will become closer but Thaksin has also set in motion other events which will not disappear with him. The desires of many poor for a better life are an obvious one which will refocus Thai politics for some time to come as is the possible reinvovling of the middle classes in Thai politics and this is without the now large urban working class which has influenced ther recent elections in some provinces, but there are other issues that have begun to be spoken about and which are not going to disappear. These can be read about in world news media as local as Malaysia and are heavily debated on the internet. The removal of Thaksin may well cause a redivision of the poltical spoils in the short term but in the mid to long term events are already in motion that will leave Thailand a changed place from what it was a few years ago or even is today.

Many of these events are now things which Thaksin himself has little control over other than to quite clevely ride to electoral success.

An interesting letter to the editor of the Bangkok Post today wondered what the international reaction would be to the throwing out of the election results to deny PPP from forming a minority government. I agree that will be interesting to see. Won't deter the establishment from making their planned moves though I am sure.....

most people in this forum are international enought to judge, by the look of it most people really don't want to see PPP in power, if you are talking about on the other side of the ocean international, well they know nothing about Thailand to judge.

your theory is quite logical. implementation is the problem. the PPP was stupid enough to admit the Thaksin connection. would anybody (except some brainamputees) believe that this connection is severed?

Certainly many of the personal conflicts will disappear and the politcal ground will become closer but Thaksin has also set in motion other events which will not disappear with him. The desires of many poor for a better life are an obvious one which will refocus Thai politics for some time to come ...

Ahhh, but didn't we just witnessed ALL political parties taking up Thaksin's approach to this problem - promise them better peanuts, it doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things, peanuts are peanuts.

Healthcare, money and loans, OTOP promotion - it costs pracitcally nothing. PTT privatisation alone raised more funds than Thaksin could ever spend to keep his supporters in love with him. Not for one or two years - EVER.

by the look of it most people really don't want to see PPP in power,

I thought we just had an election where the plurality of people decided they did want the PPP in power.

No, we had an election where a majority was not reached & the future governemnt will be made up from a coalition of parties chosen by the people of Thailand.

Too bad if some people or the party they represent get banned because they did not play by the rules.

Soundman.

The point is surely that the EC wishes to be seen to punish candidates who buy votes, or distribute illegal Thaksin VCDs, and to encourage the others to behave more-correctly, in future elections ? A laudable aim.
EC issues 4 yellow cards against 3 PPP candidates, 1 Democrat candidate

The Election Commission Monday issued four more yellow cards against a winning candidate of the Democrat Party and three winning candidates of the People Power Party.

EC Commissioner Praphan Naikowit announced that Suthat Jansaengsi, a winning candidate of the Democrat Party in Phetchabun's Constituency 1 was disqualified.

The EC also disqualified the three top-vote earners in Udon Thani's Constituency 1. They are PPP candidates Surathin Phimarnmekhin, Anan Sriphan and Cherdchai Wichianwan.

Source: The Nation - 07 January 2008

Further evidence that, contrary to the bias some might wish to portray, the EC is acting against both of the largest parties. :o Good for them !

Ricardo - what are you talking about? So the EC gives four yellow cards to PPP and gives one to the Democrats...and that somehow proves they are not biased against the PPP? If they red card 60 PPP and 15 Democrats, and the latter forms a Government because of that then that's 'unbiased'?

Come on, it's gerrymandering, pure and simple. As clear a case as I've ever seen play out.

Healthcare, money and loans, OTOP promotion - it costs pracitcally nothing.

Good, maybe the "Democrats" can give that a try then.

Maybe they'll then actually win an election in the voting booth instead of through treason and deceit. :o

Too bad if some people or the party they represent get banned because they did not play by the rules.

That would indeed be quite bad to millions of voters that you continue to look down upon and dismiss as being human beings with opinions and the right to vote.

I'm happy you came around on this, I guess there's still hope. :D

From the earlier case...

Top Thai legal body backs ban on three election winners

BANGKOK — Thailand's top body of legal experts Monday unanimously endorsed the disqualification of three winners in last month's general elections.

Election officials disqualified three candidates from the People Power Party (PPP), which groups allies of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, after they won seats from the northeastern province of Buriram in the December 23 polls.

The Council of State, the government's top legal advisers, on Monday said that electoral authorities had assembled enough evidence to prove that the three had violated election laws.

"The Election Commission's decision was legal, and there is enough evidence to show that the three violated the election law," the council's secretary general Achaporn Charuchinda told reporters.

The three PPP candidates were disqualified over claims that they had paid people to attend their rallies in the run up to the election.

- AFP

========================================================================

From the latest case:

Thai election agency disqualifies more winning candidates

BANGKOK -- The Election Commission (EC) of Thailand issued two more red cards and two yellow cards against winning candidates of the Chart Thai Party and the People Power Party (PPP).

The commission said in a statement that two Chart Thai Party winning candidates in Chai Nat Province were disqualified by red cards and two PPP winning candidates in Udon Thani Province were disqualified by yellow cards.

Up to Monday, a total of five red cards were issued to three PPP and two Chart Thai Party candidates, while nine yellow cards were issued to eight PPP and one Democrat Party candidates.

According to the election law, a candidate who was issued with a red card will be disqualified in the by-elections, while a candidate with a yellow card still can re-contest the by-elections.

- Xinhua

Ricardo - what are you talking about? So the EC gives four yellow cards to PPP and gives one to the Democrats...and that somehow proves they are not biased against the PPP? If they red card 60 PPP and 15 Democrats, and the latter forms a Government because of that then that's 'unbiased'?

Come on, it's gerrymandering, pure and simple. As clear a case as I've ever seen play out.

Of course, it is unbiased if the cards are given objectively based on a defined set of violation criteria. Who are you to say that the PPP didn't indeed cheat alot more than the Democrats? You think you know an imbalance proves a bias, but I seriously doubt anyone posting on this board knows for sure.

Last day or two there have been some definate echos from the past appearing on this board. :o

Anyway - on with the subject at hand.....

Some people are taking the position that I am, ummm how shall we put it - have a disrespectful & condescending attitude towards the poorer class of Thai people & their in-ability to think about the re-percussions of their indulgent short term decisions on the broader scale of, what I hope, future correct government policy & macro-economic policy will make Thailand live up to its potential of being a regional economic force & leader in all sorts of indicators such as standard of living, supply, institutionalised corruption etc.

Some people might argue that Taxin was taking us down that road. He wasn't. He was using the age old principal of making the pie bigger, with all the common people getting the same size servings (maybe a little extra gravy to keep them begging for a bone at his door) while he & his friends get the remainder. Sad really. The really funny thing is that all the shenanigans that go on in Thailand are so transperant. One can see the whole scenario from seed idea through to court outcome in the blink of an eye.

To set the record:

I have no dislike of the Thai people - I am married to one & 95% of my friends & aquaintences are Thai people, most of whom are on the poorer side of the fence. My children are Thai.

I do have a great dislike of people (all people, not just Thai's) selling themselves down the toilet, for a new pick-up truck or mobile phone.

Those people that take a dim view of my views - so be it. You are entitled to your say - so am I. Please leave the personality attacks at the log in page.

If you don't like what I have to say & can't refrain from personal attacks - please do your fellow board members a favour and go to your personal information page & select "block" - soundman. Doesn't worry me in the least.

Cheers & have a good evening,

Soundman. :D

>>>>

Sophon Angkara in the Nation suggested that the dirty hand Samak was talking about could actually be Thaksin looking for a more suitable person to fill the PM position, Samak is not needed anymore, Thaksin wants someone craftier and less conspicuous. Sounds like an interesting twist to me.

>>>>

I totally concur that it is unlikely that Mr. Thaksin will want Samak as PM and it would be a good tactic for PPP to dump such an abrasive character when it actually comes to PM time although I would think Mr. Samak will be fully aware of what his own role is

When they start denying rumors...... it indicates....

PPP deny naming new leader

Secretary-general of the People Power party Surapong Suebwonglee and PPP leader Samak Sundaravej have described as ‘sheer rumour’, reports that the PPP would soon be welcoming a new leader. “There is no truth in this report” Surapong stressed, while Samak was confident that the report was ‘part of a rumor-mongering campaign.’

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=124924

Former PPP candidate calls for people's uprising in Buriram

Buriram's Muang District people met with political confusion Monday morning after a People Power Party's Uthai Thani MP failed candidate distributed "Thaksin CDs" calling for the people uprising in a bid to help deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra return to the country.

Prasaeng Mongkolsiri, a PPP failed candidate hired a number of trucks campaigning in support of Thaksin telling the people in Buriram's Muang District that the People Power Party would be soon dissolved.

Many local people were confused because they did not know who Prasaeng was. :o They also received leaflets from another political camp telling them not to believe local politicians to join the protest against the EC for giving red cards to three People Power Party winning candidates.

The leaflets said the local politicians duped the villagers to travel from their homes telling them to join the condolence ceremony :D :D but they ended up in the political protest.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Constituency-based Candidate Registration Begins Today

All provincial halls and candidate registration venues across the country were packed with politicians and constituency-based candidates this morning, as today officially marks the first of five days for constituency-based candidate registration.

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej led a team of his party candidates into the stadium around 7 a.m., which included veteran politician, Chalerm Yoobamrung, Yuranan Phamornmontree, a renowned actor and former member of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai party,

Danuporn Punnakan, a famous Thai elite,

Cover_RakNakara00.jpg

*Dannuporn was also an actor with this movie poster (upper right) from 2000*

- Thailand Outlook

As an update, the actor Danuporn, sans his traditional headwear, is in...

30061405-01.jpg

People Power Party’s Danuporn Punkanta reports himself to the election commission on Monday before registering as MP-elected at Parliament.

The Nation

30061435-01.jpg

Sompol Keyuraphan, 70, father of banned Thai Rak Thai executive Sudarat Keyuraphan (TRT Banned #3), arrives at Parliament to report himself to duty on Monday. An elected MP from the People Power Party, he denies being a nominee for his daughter.

The Nation

:o

''Dad, I know you're old and can't stand up anymore but I have to use you. Don`t worry, it's common practice with the ex-pm and his family along with another bunch of crooked politicians like me.''

Here's a prime candidate for forgery don't you think?

< snipped >

- Banned -

< snipped >

- Banned -

< snipped >

- Banned -

< snipped >

- Banned -

< snipped >

- Banned -

===========================================================

This thread has certainly drawn a plethora of trolls and multiple ID'ers....

With much appreciation to mods/admins for their unenviable task of keeping the can of bug spray handy and keeping things cleaned up. :o

Edited by sriracha john

Ricardo - what are you talking about? So the EC gives four yellow cards to PPP and gives one to the Democrats...and that somehow proves they are not biased against the PPP?

Correct. It shows that they are taking action against both main parties.

If they red card 60 PPP and 15 Democrats

Have they ? Not yet. Although they might - if that is the way the evidence pans out.

, and the latter forms a Government because of that then that's 'unbiased'?

The Democrats are a long way from forming a government, especially if they continue to lose candidates, I have said several times that I do expect the PPP to form the next government. Or are you aware of truly massive cheating by the PPP ?

Come on, it's gerrymandering, pure and simple. As clear a case as I've ever seen play out. So why ban Democrats too ?

From the latest case:

Thai election agency disqualifies more winning candidates

BANGKOK -- The Election Commission (EC) of Thailand issued two more red cards and two yellow cards against winning candidates of the Chart Thai Party and the People Power Party (PPP).

The commission said in a statement that two Chart Thai Party winning candidates in Chai Nat Province were disqualified by red cards and two PPP winning candidates in Udon Thani Province were disqualified by yellow cards.

And a 3rd party enters the 'Roll of Dishonour'. Further evidence that the EC is, as PPP-leaders claim, fair & unbiased.

Up to Monday, a total of five red cards were issued to three PPP and two Chart Thai Party candidates, while nine yellow cards were issued to eight PPP and one Democrat Party candidates.

Note that the (mainly PPP) yellow-cards simply have to 're-take' the election, and will probably win, but without cheating this time.

According to the election law, a candidate who was issued with a red card will be disqualified in the by-elections, while a candidate with a yellow card still can re-contest the by-elections.

- Xinhua

The clincher would be if the EC were to ban the PPP, as being merely nominees of the banned (for cheating) Thaksin & TRT, which would hardly be suprising, given the open admissions by Samak and other leaders of PPP, that this is in fact the case.

Nevertheless I don't see any evidence so far, of anything other than normal 'tidying-up' by the EC, of some of the grosser examples of cheating.

And I still hope (against hope ? We shall see) that they will not ban PPP outright, and the fair result, of a weak PPP-coalition government, will stand. Because that is what people voted for. Not a landslide for Samak/PPP/TRT/Thaksin, but an even split of the party-vote, and with the PPP ahead on the candidate-vote, due to the concentration of their vote in the North & North-East.

30061435-01.jpg

Sompol Keyuraphan, 70, father of banned Thai Rak Thai executive Sudarat Keyuraphan (TRT Banned #3), arrives at Parliament to report himself to duty on Monday. An elected MP from the People Power Party, he denies being a nominee for his daughter.

The Nation

:o

''Dad, I know you're old and can't stand up anymore but I have to use you. Don`t worry, it's common practice with the ex-pm and his family along with another bunch of crooked politicians like me.''

Here's a prime candidate for forgery don't you think?

At 70, he's a youthful and more vigorous replacement should the need arise for 72 year old Samak.

healthysamak.jpg

Chart Thai just lost two to red cards in Chainat apparently. A possible PPP pick up I would think. Cant say Im surprised at Chart Thai being caught in electorla manipulation. Maybe the EC and Sonthi should investigate Suphanburi and the influence of local politicains in the recent election there :o

EC gives 2 red cards to Chart Thai MP candidates

The Election Commission (EC) has issued two red cards to the Chart Thai Party's Member of Parliament (MP) candidates representing Chai Nat province, Constituency 1, Mr. Nantana Songpracha (นันทนา สงฆ์ประชา) and Mr. Monthien Songpracha (มณเฑียร สงฆ์ประชา).

The EC has also given two yellow cards to the People Power Party's MP candidates representing Udon Thani province, Constituency 3, Mr. Prasop Busarakham (ประสพ บุษราคัม) and Mr. Jakrapad Chaisat (จักพรรดิ ไชยสาส์น). The EC has resolved to hold the by-election in this constituency on January 10th.

At the same time, the EC has approved six MP candidates. Four of them are from the People Power Party, and the other two are from the Democrat Party.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 January 2008

As the numbers stand now there's only 13 MPs difference between Democrats and PPP. It would be interesting to see what happens if about half of 60 PPP candidates under investigation are red carded. That would be a real scramble to watch, but that is very very unlikely to happen.

EC's chief investigator resigned over the weekend for alleged bias against PPP (so much for generals clout there!).

The mind boggling case of a candidate banned in Uthai campaigning in Buri Ram is another one to watch - if PPP doesn't contain this lunatic, the Supreme Court might consider it as evidence of being a nominee party.

What he is doing is openly challenging the judiciary. Don't do anything and people will see that the courts are helpless, punish him and be ready to face the angry crowds.

And that's only the beginning of "reconciliation" PPP style.

Phetchabun Provincial EC ready to hold by-election

The Chairman of the Phetchabun Provincial Election Commission (EC), Pol. Sub-Lt. Isaretrit Nilwong (อิศเรศฤทธิ์ นิลวงศ์), says the EC is ready to hold the by-election at Constituency 1 of Phetchabun after the commission has issued a yellow card to the Democrat Party's Member of Parliament (MP) candidate, Mr. Suthat Chansaengsi (สุทัศน์ จันทร์แสงสี).

Mr. Suthat has been accused of getting involved in vote buying after the EC has found 1.3 million baht at the residence of his election canvasser.

Pol. Sub-Lt. Isaretrit says his provincial commission is all set to hold the by-election in Constituency 1 of Phetchabun, but it will have to wait for the central EC to announce the by-election date. He says the same EC team that looked after the December-23rd general election will be employed to administer the upcoming by-election.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 January 2008