No Water Today In Moo Ban

cm-happy

That had been going on in the moo bahn I live in for several months. Though there was a period they said the water would be on for x hours in the morning and x hours in the evening. :o Since the moo bahn has now become a 'legal' moo bahn via the Hang Dong Ohr Bohr Tohr it has been stable now. Recently they did announce a couple of times that power would be cut. So good to have some advance warning.

Our water is sucked out of the klong, and kept in tanks, so we only have a problem when the electricity goes out. Only once in a year did they tell us that in advance, and sometimes the eleccy is off for several hours. We keep a big garbage pail full of water in each shower area for emergencies.

Luckily I lived with a good girl from the baan nok - Mae Kachan on the way to Chiang Rai - who taught me how to handle things. Although we lived in an ok moo baan, the water was off sometimes a couple times a week, fine for months, then off again several times a week. It was upredictable. In the dry season, they'd say there was 'naam noi' so it shut off sometimes. In rainy season I got told sometimes 'mii naam yer gun bai' and so there was no water. Basically: Dray season, not enough water, wet season too much water.... so no water service. How you figgah ?

It could really be a pisser if you had to go to a business appt or go teach or whatever at noon, and the water had been off by 8 (me waking up about 9 or 10). You think you could shower at 9 or 10, but no chance. The solution was a large plastic garbage pail ala 'galamang' style from Tesco. It has a lockable lid and though big and garbage pail size, you shove it next to the wall and between the toilet and sink. It's only slightly annoying. Of course in a Western frame of mind it's a pain, an eyesore, and ridiculous. But for the practicality of dealing with Thai life it's indispensable. I used to live in Hang Dong and get about 40 no-water days (somewhere between 9 am and 6 pm) per yr. Now in Nong Hoy I get about 25 per yr. And every one of those days I'm happy that in the # 2 bathroom I have the bucket and the scoop to save the day. Only have to change it out every month or so, and it stays nice n fresh for bathing. If I ever live in a house with a water tank like Blondie, this won't be an issue, but for now the back up water can is the way to go.

This is not to mention the beautiful backup H2o supply for flushing the toilet! And that super necessary hot day shower. Also an added benefit.... the pail works great for touring in the back of a truck at Songkran with a fat block of ice in it. Songkran's over, back into ordinary bano service.

Luckily I lived with a good girl from the baan nok - Mae Kachan on the way to Chiang Rai - who taught me how to handle things. Although we lived in an ok moo baan, the water was off sometimes a couple times a week, fine for months, then off again several times a week. It was upredictable. In the dry season, they'd say there was 'naam noi' so it shut off sometimes. In rainy season I got told sometimes 'mii naam yer gun bai' and so there was no water. Basically: Dray season, not enough water, wet season too much water.... so no water service. How you figgah ?

It could really be a pisser if you had to go to a business appt or go teach or whatever at noon, and the water had been off by 8 (me waking up about 9 or 10). You think you could shower at 9 or 10, but no chance. The solution was a large plastic garbage pail ala 'galamang' style from Tesco. It has a lockable lid and though big and garbage pail size, you shove it next to the wall and between the toilet and sink. It's only slightly annoying. Of course in a Western frame of mind it's a pain, an eyesore, and ridiculous. But for the practicality of dealing with Thai life it's indispensable. I used to live in Hang Dong and get about 40 no-water days (somewhere between 9 am and 6 pm) per yr. Now in Nong Hoy I get about 25 per yr. And every one of those days I'm happy that in the # 2 bathroom I have the bucket and the scoop to save the day. Only have to change it out every month or so, and it stays nice n fresh for bathing. If I ever live in a house with a water tank like Blondie, this won't be an issue, but for now the back up water can is the way to go.

This is not to mention the beautiful backup H2o supply for flushing the toilet! And that super necessary hot day shower. Also an added benefit.... the pail works great for touring in the back of a truck at Songkran with a fat block of ice in it. Songkran's over, back into ordinary bano service.

Exactly the system I have here in my Isaan village, where the water supply is completely unpredictable, and more often than not off evening time. So my pail is positioned so I can easilly refill it in the morning fro the shower, when we have water.

Going to install a tank and pump outside soon though...

This house has an external water tank with electric pump. The tank fills automatically from the supply with a float style demand valve. The water supply does cut out to the tank but we are rarely affected by it. Only once did the tank completely empty and if the power cuts out it is rarely more than a couple of hours at a time.

San Kamphaeng may be the boon docks but at least our boons and docks have power and water supply.

CB

This house has an external water tank with electric pump. The tank fills automatically from the supply with a float style demand valve. The water supply does cut out to the tank but we are rarely affected by it. Only once did the tank completely empty and if the power cuts out it is rarely more than a couple of hours at a time.

San Kamphaeng may be the boon docks but at least our boons and docks have power and water supply.

CB

Same here CB but only 1200 L. Tank was emptied with daily water use, car washing and garden watering. would have curtailed this usage if I had known that the water supply would be down and not able to refill the external tank. ah well, BO can be pleasant also.

In the moo ban where I live in the central region of Khampaeng Phet the water usually goes of in January and sometimes comes back in time for Songkran.

I have 20 of the Ong water storage tanks holding around 1,000 litres each and I usually top them up from the klong about once a week until that runs out after which we have to buy water.

Be happy that you only lose water for short periods.

My mate on the other side of the national park doesn't even have a klong.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry my English is not good but I would like to give some idea and experience.

My house stay a liitle higher (a small hill) and no water from the village, so I asked someone to make a system to take underground water.

Now all the problem about water is finished, I have water enough to use (2000 -3000 liters per day or more) with a pump underground and another automatic pump to bring water to the house.

It cost about 600 baht per meter and I made 52 meters deepth, so about 36,200 baht for working and the pump underground 15,000 baht, automatic pump 6,500 baht, I also bought a water reserve tank (2000 liters) and big filter (it not necessary because the water is very clean, but I bought it for be sure more to use clean water). All the costs together a little high but I have no more problem and I don't need to pay water bill, only electric.

For how deepth, it depend on place where you make it, some place you can find water only 5-10 meters and another place deepth more.

I think this is a very good solution for my house and I think it will be good for you too.

regards

Hi cmbe

I am happy that you have been able to get a borehole dug and water to your house.

Unfortunately for me the land is mostly rock and stone after anout 1 metre down and when they dug the fish pond the guys said if you want a borehole or a well you will need dynamite or maybe an oil rig drill.

Current rumour has it that the moo baan got a borehole drilled at a cost of around 1,000,000 baht so we should be OK from this year on but we shall see.