When Will Thailand Have Legal Gay Marriage?

Jingthing

When will Thailand have Legal Gay Marriage?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most Thais are quite happy with unrecognized heterosexual unions, many men have several. I think the unrecognized unions amongst the gay population will prevail and suffice for some time to come. Division of assets during divorce is an issue to be dealt with.

Makes sense. I also don't see this happening anytime soon here. But never say never.

No - his wife is a woman, but he is a man - well he was a man before the operation - lot of paperwork!!

Oh, I see. That is interesting. If the sex changer changed his/her identity card, can they get the full legal real deal here?

Im not sure as it is a bit complicated: turns out that she was actually a lesbian (tom) and didnt know he was a gay man - post gender change operation - so she is a woman and he is a woman, well really a man!

However she now wants a divorce cos she knows he isnt really a woman!

The answer is that in Thailand a transgendered person (post op) is still recognized by their sex at birth. I am aware of only one country right now -- the Netherlands -- that issues government identification cards in the transgendered sex. Since the Third Sex has a cultural -- but not legal -- position in Thailand, I anticipate that the Thai government will eventually recognize the transgendered sex of a ladyboy before they legalize gay marriages. By the way, Jingthing, I voted that gay marriages will be legalized in about 20 years in Thailand. I think you will see many other countries legalize gay marriages before Thailand does.

Gay civil partnership is legal in Vietnam, I know some from Thailand go there for the ‘marriage’ but is that any help here in Thailand..

What happens if the Thai partner should die 1st, what happens to the guy that has maybe bought the house/Condo, but it is in his deceased Thai partners name ?

Why must a gay man in a long term relationship have to have 800,000baht for visa renewal, where a married man only 400,000, and maybe has wife + kids to support,

The list is endless

Yay, even in western places that have gone down the "political correctness" route, with its ups and downs, they downgrade to a "civil partnership".

Not every country that have legalised same-sex unions have downgraded to "civil partnership".

The Kingdom of Spain, with all its background of fascist-catholic homophobia, has recognised same-sex Marriage, not "civil partnership", with every right attached: adoption, nationality, tax benefits, etc...

Sex-changes are paid by the regional goverment in some areas.

I read that Argentine is going to do the same tnext year 2008.

I don't see why Thailand cannot do it in due time.

I find it more difficult in some other countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, USA, North Korea, Egyp or the Vatican.

:o I am an Australian Citizen. We have had a Gay and Lesbian Immigration Task Force operating for over 20 years. When I contacted Australian Visa Company, the outsourcing department the Embassy uses, I was told in order for my boyfriend of over two years to be issued with a Visa we had to supply a fair amount of evidence that we were a de facto couple. This we did and within 5 days he was issued with a Visitors Visa, maximum 3 month stay, but valid for one year...was painless but we had kept all the necessary records to verify we were in a long term, permanent relationship...not quite marriage status but what I am trying to say is that the Visa was issued on the basis that we, a same sex relationship, were bona fide...probably not throwing much light on the issue but does contain some elements..I believe people who wish to do so to go to USA cannot, but those who wish to go to UK, it is also possible....the new Australian government is considering a same sex register, but I would imagine if my boyfriend did not reside in Australia we would not be entitled to any privileges/rights, as are heterosexual couples...as we intend living in LOS it is not relevant for us but if it were possible upon my demise he would be entitled to 5/8th of my pension which is a large amount of money per month for a thai person who, in his case, is an unskilled worker with little education...when we, gay people, are treated equal will be a pretty amazing move, certainly dont hold my breath...homophobia is alive and thriving although think we all must admit there have been some small moves forward, certainly since I came out in the late 60's in Australia... :D Dukkha

Jingthing, I voted that gay marriages will be legalized in about 20 years in Thailand. I think you will see many other countries legalize gay marriages before Thailand does.

Right, I do think within 20 years all of the EU countries will have legal gay marriage as well as most of South America, Canada, and the US will probably have federal domestic partnerships. Thailand won't be a pioneer, but I do think they will come around in 20 to 30 years.

Though the road will be long and hard, it's possible that in order to honour treaty agreements (the type of thing that keeps straight couples legally married even when they travel to another country), if a critical mass of rich and powerful countries grant gay couples legal status and rights then even homophobic countries may be politically/economically persuaded that creating parallel laws and rights in their own countries makes it easier for them to do business.

Jet, this is not supposed to be a debate about gay marriage, pro or con, which you obviously are sorely in need of education about the pro side, but I suggest you go somewhere else for that.

It is about when (or if) Thailand will get it.

Thanks Jingthing. I stand corrected. I was off topic as I was reading the details in the thread and not paying attention to your OP. I do disagree that I am in need of education about the pro side since I will leave the search for that type of education to those that are already out or think they may be in danger of sliding out of the closet. :o

I guess my answer to your question should have been that I have no idea if or when Thailand should ever allow gay marriage. My guess is that most of us hetero's have more important issues to think about and should leave the solving of the gay issues up to the gay (not that there is anything wrong with it) community . :D

Can't see Thailand going for gay marriage/civil partnership in the foreseeable future; I think culture has a lot to do with this. My Thai bf and I registered a civil partnership at the British Embassy in Vietnam. (Of course only for Brits and their partners). Benefits include same tax breaks as 'married' couples, inheritance rights, and a nice warm feeling!

Homosexuality is anathema to the Chinese - although I have a close Chinese friend who is gay.

So I cannot see same-sex unions being accepted in Thailand, ever.

Interesting point. However San Franciso is over half Chinese and had no problem voting in the gay marriage rights pioneer mayor Gavin Newsom.

Only a minority of Thais are ethnic Chinese. The real Thais dn't seem to bother aboit sexuality much, they are more concerned about what kind of person you are.