Does The Sun Damage Your Car

dsfbrit

The New Bangkok airport has long term parking, but there is no shade at all. For some reason they don't have those poles with netting that seems to be used just about everywhere to protect your car from the sun.

If I were to park my Toyota Vigo there each time I go to the UK for 2 weeks, would the sun damage it. As I write this I think I am being a bit too 'protective' of a pick up truck, but still I like to look after things if I can and the saving on parking fees for the covered short term parking over 2 weeks is only about 2000 baht!

Getting a taxi from Pattaya is even easier, but they drive like maniacs!

I have one of those silver plastic covers, does that protect from the sun or is is just to keep it clean.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, the cover would protect it a bit but would it be there when you returned? My TW used to go on and on and on about the "poor car out in the sun" before I had a carport built on the side of the house. I did it more to shut her up than out of any concern for the pickup. I mean, it's just a car, for crying out loud. I think the only thing the sun did affect was the window tintint; the "mirror" sort. It is now noticeably less reflective although it's just as good from inside. Perhaps it always fades over time, I don't know. The problem with this carport is now I can't rely on Mexican carwash. I actually have to wash the dust off now and then. Bloody 'ell!!!

I can't see that two weeks left in the sun would hurt it at all. It's just going to be hot when you first get in, that's all. Of course, another poster on here who shall be nameless, will probably regale you with stories of how his fleet of Mercs are always kept in air-conditioned, humidity-controlled garages and a little man comes along every day to run the engines for 5 minutes before reading them a bedtime story and tucking them in for the night.

I can't see that two weeks left in the sun would hurt it at all. It's just going to be hot when you first get in, that's all. Of course, another poster on here who shall be nameless, will probably regale you with stories of how his fleet of Mercs are always kept in air-conditioned, humidity-controlled garages and a little man comes along every day to run the engines for 5 minutes before reading them a bedtime story and tucking them in for the night.

:o

Actually leaving a vehicle out in the strong sunlight does degrade the paint and internal finishes but the overall additive effect of two weeks stationary is probably insignificant. That is unless you employ the above tactics as your normal M.O. I mean, think about it, your car is out in the sun every day anyway while you are driving it. You could, though, buy one of those fold away internal windscreen shields that would at least afford some protection to the interior.

Having direct sunlight for 2 weeks could make the paint weak. The only downside is that say if a bird decides to poop on your car. Once the poop is on the car, with direct sunlight you will permanantly have that bird poop embredded on your paint which hardly can be removed!

Thanks for the feedback. I must admit when I was posting it I thought I was being over the top, worrying about a Pick-up! Like you say when its being driven its the same thing isn't it.

I 'googled' this topic before I posted here and the claims made by manufacturers of some products made me think its an area where a lot of daft claims are made.

When I lived in was Australia in 1982-1984, many of the cars had their their dashboards etc 'blistered' - don't see that at all nowadays - I guess technology has moved on a lot.

I will get one of those reflectors anyway.

Thanks again for the feedback

Another thing you could do if you are concerned about paint fade is to give it a polish with a wax that has UV-Block in it. The UV does more damage then the heat itself to the finish. Also, UV polish for the interior items such as dash, steering wheel, etc.

I actually know somebody who left their Lamborghini in a place like that (in the UK - I don't know anyone rich enough to own one here).

Ironically, when he went to pick up the car, one of the attendants had managed to drop something on the bonnet (very very thin aluminium), so had insurance claim forms for him to sign for getting the dent removed...

If you're worried about putting it in the sun in the long stay parking, why not just put it in the shade in the short stay. (After all - it's not Heathrow - Even the short stay isn't that expensive for a week or two).

Prolonged UV exposure will affect the paint (so the carport at home is a good idea), but 2 weeks under the sun - that won't make much difference.

Edited by bkk_mike

just my tuppence worth.................wouldnt it have a layer of dust on it within a few days of being stationary,mine always does and then surely the paint has a slight degree of protection from the sun.and if you really worried then a cheap full car cover will completely protect it...........even if it gets nicked then might have been on car nearly the 2 weeks already or tie it down loads of times infact be over the top ..then i think the thai thief will be too lazy if he has to spend time trying to untie lots of string/rope/tape .might work haha

The New Bangkok airport has long term parking, but there is no shade at all. For some reason they don't have those poles with netting that seems to be used just about everywhere to protect your car from the sun.

If I were to park my Toyota Vigo there each time I go to the UK for 2 weeks, would the sun damage it. As I write this I think I am being a bit too 'protective' of a pick up truck, but still I like to look after things if I can and the saving on parking fees for the covered short term parking over 2 weeks is only about 2000 baht!

I don't think two weeks in the sun will cause any immediate damage to your vehicle, but could reduce the effect of the protective UV properties in today's clear coat paint over the extended life of your vehicle.  Put a good coat of UV protectant polish on your vehicle periodically and I think you will be fine.

Changing the subject for a moment, how much does it cost per day for the long-term parking in the sun?  in the shade?  I'm going to Koh Samui for 4 or 5 days and was thinking about leaving my vehicle at the airport during my absence.

Pattayadavid

Of course exposure to sun and heat will damage your car over a period of time. The rubber gaskets, plastic trim,leather and paint really take a beating when exposed to UV rays or excessive heat buildup and can quickly age a car. The secret of longevity is to use a car cover that has maximum protection from both UV and heat buildup. I have used many types of covers from expensive to cheap and interestingly enough have found that those made of 'Tyvek' have worked the best and yet are among the cheapest. Many types of covers do not work well in protecting against heat buildup under the cover. The only slight disadvantage of tyvek is that they are so lightweight that in a wind they can be hard to put on. Once on, I do not rely on the elastic in the cover but use two bungee cords (each made with about 3 meters of cord and make a loop) and stretch one around the hood and one around the trunk area. It can be done quite quickly with practice. I suggest writing in permanent marker in big letters on the cover some type of ID like your license plate so it is less likely to get stolen. I always cover my car at the airport and have never had any theft problems.

I have six vehicles and they all are in perfect pristine condition because I aways keep them covered with a car cover when parked outside in any area that is exposed to the sun. One of my cars that I use regularly is 15 years old and is all original and still looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I readily must admit I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my cars. :o

most of the guys have mentioned good points, but jetjock is spot on.

The sun (well anyway the Ultra Voilet light from it) is terrible for cars/trucks & will age them very quickly.

Paintwork: dark colours are more susceptable. The UV burns out the colour pigment in the paint, though has been said, upto date paints are stronger. In the UK (yes, we do have some sun occasionally, red cars will go white in time if exposed to the sun regularly).

Dash top: over heats & warps. Why do you think so many Thais have the carpet style dash top covers?

Fabric Upholstery: will rot it.

Tyre walls: same same.

Bird lime: is acidic & eats into paintwork if left.

The silver (reflective) cab cover idea is tops.

For longer periods tyre wall protection should also be considered, although more importantly on cars as the walls are thicker/stronger on 4 x 4's

Now as for how highly dangerous deeply tinted side windows are that preclude eye contact with other road users, best not get me going on that one! :o

Edited by Lancashirelad

I might end-up getting one of these car covers. Although the pickup is kept in a carport and out of the sun, it gets covered in bleedin' dust. I'm forever washing the thing which is against my religion, really. Of course, TW insists that it's shiny, sparkley all the time and sees my casual attitude as further proof of Western decadence.

So, can anyone recommend a type/brand, please?

Of course exposure to sun and heat will damage your car over a period of time. The rubber gaskets, plastic trim,leather and paint really take a beating when exposed to UV rays or excessive heat buildup and can quickly age a car. The secret of longevity is to use a car cover that has maximum protection from both UV and heat buildup. I have used many types of covers from expensive to cheap and interestingly enough have found that those made of 'Tyvek' have worked the best and yet are among the cheapest. Many types of covers do not work well in protecting against heat buildup under the cover. The only slight disadvantage of tyvek is that they are so lightweight that in a wind they can be hard to put on. Once on, I do not rely on the elastic in the cover but use two bungee cords (each made with about 3 meters of cord and make a loop) and stretch one around the hood and one around the trunk area. It can be done quite quickly with practice. I suggest writing in permanent marker in big letters on the cover some type of ID like your license plate so it is less likely to get stolen. I always cover my car at the airport and have never had any theft problems.

I have six vehicles and they all are in perfect pristine condition because I aways keep them covered with a car cover when parked outside in any area that is exposed to the sun. One of my cars that I use regularly is 15 years old and is all original and still looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I readily must admit I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my cars. :D

Can you buy these in Thailand, and where ??

North :o

Edited by North

The secret of longevity is to use a car cover that has maximum protection from both UV and heat buildup. I have used many types of covers from expensive to cheap and interestingly enough have found that those made of 'Tyvek' have worked the best and yet are among the cheapest. :D

Can you buy these in Thailand, and where ??

North :o

Unfortunately, I do not have any idea where Tyvek material covers can be purchased in Thailand. If you are not familiar with what a Tyvek material car cover looks like-it is usually white and and extremely lightweight which almost feels and looks like paper. If you saw one, you would initially think they would be quite fragile compared to the all the other much heavier car covers, yet in reality they are quite durable and have superior protection against UV and heat buildup. Through the years I have purchased probably every type of car cover available and know that some of the other materials also work OK. It just happens that Tyvek is my personal favourite however most of the other covers that use a good UV rated material should also work quite well. Just be careful not to buy the cotton or cotton/poly blends that are really designed to be just dust covers and do not do well against UV. Sorry I could not be much help on Tyvek although they are available from car shops on the internet and their cost is quite low compared to other good UV protection covers. I think I paid about $70. US for my last one but if you can find them in Thailand, they might even be cheaper.

If you get really lucky, you can park at the Short-term car park without having to pay the extra B2000. We parked our car there for 2 weeks last summer when going back to the UK and I put the magnetic ticket in my wallet. When I drove out of the car park when we returned, the ticket didn't seem to be readable in the parking attendant's machine. Her response? She charged me B25 (i.e. 1hr parking instead of 15 days) :o

Unfortunately I've no idea how I rendered the ticket unreadable so I haven't been able to repeat my luck.

• 15 years later...
On 12/28/2007 at 6:40 AM, dsfbrit said:

Getting a taxi from Pattaya is even easier, but they drive like maniacs!

I have one of those silver plastic covers, does that protect from the sun or is is just to keep it clean.

Thanks for any advice.

I understand your feelings about the average taxi  driver driving unsafely but there is a solution.    

https://www.namstaxipattaya.com/

Nam's taxi service consists of 20 - 25 ladies and you cannot go wrong using their service.     I personally would suggest requesting Yuri as your driver.      She has a very new Toyota Camry she uses and it is pure luxury.      Yuri, who has driven me on a number of occasions,  acts more like a personal assistant than a taxi driver.      

Driver  (Yuri) always  shows up  early  and I always got to my destination on time.    She speaks excellent English.

Yuri is the lady in  the front row, third from the left.       She's a genuine sweetheart.      Make your reservation by email and it will be confirmed quickly  by email.      yuri.webp.7c5486c29d5ced01f81df6aa67da3521.webp

nMTAXIRATES.png.edb4825e3199c48c11296eb95aa24f1a.png

Edited by In Full Agreement