Does Having A Celta Make A Big Difference, Or Not?

ethan1

Hi just a quick question. I am now down to two shcools have found in Thailand to learn teaching English. One is a Cambridge Celta, the other a Tesol (not trinity college Tesol). The tesol seems ok but does it hold much weight abroad or in Thailand. I saw the certificate and it has the name of school and type of course I would complete. It is an intensive 120 hour. Can anyone let me know if this a certificate that will do me any good in the future. As far as I know the Celta is the best one to go for but if the TESOL is ok I would rather do that as start time of course and location are better for me. Any advice please???

P.S Moderator as far as I know this isnt asking for advice on particular schools just qualifications.

Edited by PeaceBlondie
Edited title to specify the questions

One quick answer: it depends.

If you intend to teach only in Thailand, it's extremely doubtful that having a CELTA will make one bit of difference. If you're intending to make a 30 year professional career out of teaching EFL in increasingly competent positions in many different countries of the world, then the best route is BA, CELTA, DELTA, XELTA, ZELTA, MA, PhD, etc.

I doubt I will be doing the 30 year professional route but who knows. One thing for sure is that I will be going to South America and the Phillipines and perhaps Tibet. The non trinity tesol starts in 5 days will this be suffice for these countries in a position which will give me enough to get by on and have a little fun, not saving for a rainy day just yet.??

Edited by ethan1

I suggest you contact the relevant companies and ask, or better yet, ask schools in those places. The bottom line about TEFL: pretty much after the first real job or two, nobody cares about the type of certification any more, especially if you are not concerned as a career teacher or someone who wants to make bigger money. If you can show references demonstrating that you are functional as a TEFL teacher, you'll be ok after that.

Since your inquiry is really not that Thai-related, I suggest you contact persons in the other countries you are interested in for more information. We're not going to be discussing which TEFL certs are "accepted" or "welcomed" in which countries here. Since I don't see anywhere else for this thread to go, I'm closing it.

"S"