Voltage Question

Erawan

I believe you folks in the UK use a special large pin plug and that would not be supported most places here in Thailand and adaptors are not available for them on every street corner (as nobody uses them).

The normal Thai outlet accepts the American/Japanese flat two pin plug and the two pin plug as used in Germany (both are accepted in the same outlet). The American type plug makes better contact in these outlets. Newer outlets here will accept the American three pin (ground) and the German type (but not recessed).

The normal voltage is 230v at 50Hz.

Erawan,

The offical Thai standard connector is 2 pin flat American type also used by the Japs. Modern wiring now requires an earth connection so 3 flat pin sockets are used. Often local equipment comes with European 2 round pins and you can get extgension lead that go from Euro-American,

The nominal voltage is 220, NOT 230, if you're lucky. In the country it is inclined to droop a bit but UK stuff should be OK here.

Good luck.

Erawan,

The offical Thai standard connector is 2 pin flat American type also used by the Japs. Modern wiring now requires an earth connection so 3 flat pin sockets are used. Often local equipment comes with European 2 round pins and you can get extgension lead that go from Euro-American,

The nominal voltage is 220, NOT 230, if you're lucky. In the country it is inclined to droop a bit but UK stuff should be OK here.

Good luck.

There is no use of three flat pin outlets in Thailand. If it is a grounded outlet it will have the two round/flat pin sockets plus a third round pin socket.

The voltage normally will be at or above 230v and I have never seen less than that in recent years here in Bangkok (voltage/frequency control is not as tight as some other countries). Often it is more. Upcountry is another matter and low voltage is often the rule.

UK TV, will not be ok without modification.

Local equipment made for local/export with the two round European pins often have ground on side and adaptors can be obtained from Home Pro to convert to three pins and this should be done.

I think you've misunderstood Axel. When I was talking about round pins and slot pins, I was referring to the Thai plugs/sockets. If I'm not mistaken, both socket types are employed. I think round pins may be more predominant though.

Erawan, not misunderstood. Have a look in

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#plugs

You are right, Thailand uses round pins and flat ones.

(A+C in the web-page)

In my house I have both, as well as G-type (2 flat and one rectangular) but smaller pins than the ones used in Singapore/Hong Kong and perhaps UK.

The G-type I have accepts flat-pin plugs, i.e. just ignoring the third rectangular for grounding.

The sockets I have can accept round and flat pins as the holes are flat towards the center and rounded to the outer ends.

The equipment I use is brought in from all over Asia and Europe. As said, when the plug does not fit, I just use an adaptor, which is not a transformer.

E.g. one side has 2 flat and one rectangular holes, the other side 2 flat pins.

@ lopburi. Perhaps not every street corner, but between BKK Sukhumvit 3 and 31 and would remember at least 5 outlets incl. Villa supermarket where one can, or I did buy the adaptors. And boots, as siam says.

From the list I believe UK uses the G-type which is the same as HKG/SIN.

One good suggestion I've heard (from James at www.thailand-uk.com) is to get UK multi-socket extensions in the UK. (Consider wiring up the lead from the mains plug to the row of sockets yourself - the leads often aren't long enough.) That way, you only need to change one plug. It would also be useful if the earth lead has to be screwed down rather than plugged in, as I was bemused to discover many years ago. It would also be very useful if what you take to be a plug actually houses a transformer or even a rectifier.

@ lopburi. Perhaps not every street corner, but between BKK Sukhumvit 3 and 31 and would remember at least 5 outlets incl. Villa supermarket where one can, or I did buy the adaptors. And boots, as siam says.

From the list I believe UK uses the G-type which is the same as HKG/SIN.

I would not consider Sukhumvit as being representative of Thailand myself. :o

It is the most likely place to find them as there is a concentration of foreigners in that area that might have need for them and also old homes of the rich that may have them. But once you leave that ghetto I doubt that you will find many in normal hardware shops. Three pin US to two pin US, flat to round or round to flat; yes. You can also buy multi adaptors now in Carrefour and probably Lotus but I would just change the plugs myself as the Type G just covers too much real estate.

The Type F is common now for appliances sold here and there is a plug on converter to add a Type B ground tit to it that I have only fund in Home Pro.

:o Thanks for your help guys, it's been... confusing :D. I think I'll be ok with the adapter I'll be getting.

Precisely, Erawan.

The rest is none of your bizz. Lopburi, who has always good advice which I appreciate, enjoys the beauties of the provinces while I have to suffer from the heat of downtown Bangkok. :D

When you get here nip into Tesco's or big C and pick up a 4/5 way multi plug lead, they even take the wierd Aussie plugs, I have loads of stuff here from the UK and dont have any problem, BTW you are right about the new 3 pin socket but half the sockets here dont have the earth connected!!!!!!!

Thai sockets suk, buy a 6 outlet board in the UK and bring it with you, swap the plug over on the end and dont waste your time with adaptors everywhere. As for Aussie plugs, they are one of the stronger plugs and dont fall out of the wall like thai and US plugs do. UK plugs are the heaviest of all, and are used in Singapore alot.

As for voltages, if you are from a 230-240V country no problem, but if you buy stuff in Thailand be careful when you take it home, most of the transformers are wound at 220V 50hz, and the chinese made stuff is supposed to be multi frequency but its not! Chinese made 220V 50hz is usually a chinese 110V 60hz tranny with double winding to get 220V. It will die pretty quick if used on 230-240V 50hz power.

I suggest you keep the UK 3 pin plugs on all your equipment and get an electrician to put an earth wire to all the sockets with critical equipment.

All my computer equipment and hi fi is firmly earthed.

The fuse in each plug also provides additional security.