Can My Wife Stiil Own Land

"Someone" is wrong, your wife can buy property...and she'll probably use your money.

Yep, that rule was recinded some years back, no problem with her spending your money on her land :o

You will have to sign a document stating that you have no financial interest in the land when she transfers it into her name.

Your Thai wife "can" own land. At one time in the semi-recent past the Thai wife lost the right to buy/own land after marrying a farang; but that law/rule was changed about a decade ago back to allowing a Thai spouse to own land when married to a farang. She can own land just like any other Thai. However, when she buys the land you'll probably have to sign a form saying you have no claim to the money used to buy the land/it's all her money.

"Someone" is using long outdated info.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

To be honest I have already brought some land - or should I say I have paid for the land.

We have two children already (3 and 1 years old) we really want the land to be in their name does anyone know what age they have to be?

I put my house in Pattaya in my daughter's name when she was 11 years old.

I have never heard of a minimum age being applied, but there may be one.

There is no minimum age rule on property acquisition. I may be wrong, if I remember correctly there is one disadvantage, that is, if the young one (i.e. you) wishes to sell the land, then you cannot do so until he or she has reached the maturity age of 20.

Did you have to pay the 2% Transfer fee?

Yes, on every transfer, i.e. change of name of beneficiary, 2% transfer fee shall apply. Not only that, 3.3% on land value shall also apply if the seller's period of ownership is less than 5 years. In addition, personal income tax calculated on a formula is also applicable. The land department can calculate for you prior to the "sale".

Yes, I had to pay the transfer fee.

That is also correct about selling the house. I cannot do so without court approval. She comes into her majority on her 20th birthday and can do whatever she wishes with the house at that time.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have to pay the 2% Transfer fee?

Yes, on every transfer, i.e. change of name of beneficiary, 2% transfer fee shall apply. Not only that, 3.3% on land value shall also apply if the seller's period of ownership is less than 5 years. In addition, personal income tax calculated on a formula is also applicable. The land department can calculate for you prior to the "sale".

What about if you put the land in your kids name first and not the wife's, or is that just wishful thinking?