Change From Retirement To Marriage Visa

Hi, I am living longer term in Thailand now and have come up to my first 1 year visa extension. Currently on Non Imm OA long stay visa on the basis of being 50+ and satisfying financial requirements. I am changing from retirement to marriage (OK I know not technically a marriage visa but that's what everyone calls it) we have no kids but more than satisfy all the financial stuff.

Everything OK at immigration, helpful people etc. but told we have to await a visit from an immigration official to our house to verify that we are not a marriage of convenience. We were also told by the nice staff that as a routine they may well interview neighbours as well. I am pretty relaxed about this but just for peace of mind, will we have to do this every year or is it just because I am changing from retirement to marriage visa?

As new to this any other pearls of wisdom appreciated, but financial side and all other docs already pre approved (I am a trusting sort) so no need to dwell on those aspects thanks.

Final question, any info on residency application and requirements after 3 years? does the 3 year requirement start from when I first obtained retirement visa 03/06 or does the change to marriage affect that. Does anyone know current details of what other hoops you have to jump through?

Thanks for your help.

1. The interview, if it even happens, will likely be one time and is not big deal - most people never even know it happened as they just ask a couple people if you live together. But there is a push this year to get photo evidence into files and most people are asked for photos together in home and outside showing house number currently when on family extensions of stay.

2. The requirement for PR application is 3 years on extensions of stay so you will not lose anything by changing extension reasons.

3. There is a good pinned thread you can access at top of forum about PR so you might want to read that. It should answer most of your questions.

Cheers guys - appreciate your advice.

No tax for me in Thailand as I receive retired income only and tax paid in UK at source and compulsory so the "double taxation clause" kicks in to prevent the likes of me paying twice. Shame as would prefer to pay tax here, but no choice on that one!

Roger Chiang Mai

Edited by rogerchiangmai

An update on the marriage visa extension interview that might be worth sharing for anyone in a similar position.

Two days after the original visit to immigration to apply for visa extension 3 guys visit our house. They were not interested in photos with house etc. as reported elsewhere. They telephoned in advance however to make a convenient time and asked us to set up a meeting with a third party who could verify that we are genuine. Our neighbour offered to help so they interviewed her, in some detail - what did her husband do, does she have children, does she work, what did she do before marriage, how long has she lived here etc. One guy asked questions, the other wrote the answers on a report - nearly two sides of A4 and about 20 different items all neatly written. Our neigbour had to produce her ID card and provide a photocopy, and everything had to be signed as is normal. They were pretty uninterested in us, they just confirmed a few details that they already held, presumably as the paperwork was sufficient. We were told that this report would be sent off to Bangkok and that we should attend our local immigration again in 12 days time by which time we should have an answer...and that was that.

It was all amicable, the guys following out their job instructions I guess. The chap asking the questions seemed to be the older and more experienced. He struggled, (and failed) to stifle his yawns while the scribe laboured, and I thought he must have done something similar to this umpteen times before and probably now found it tedious.

These guys were however courtious, quick, professional and efficient they just went about their job as expected of them, so a small price to pay in the long run...or so I hope!