Australian Aged Pension

On 11/22/2017 at 3:19 AM, halloween said:

Yep. AFAIK it was 6 months in advance, but now 13 weeks to allow for processing, and hopefully, approval. 

As far as I am aware if you apply to Centrelink for a new claim or a change of circumstances for anything, that  financial change takes place on the day you made the written application.  A recent experience for me it took 3 months for my change of circumstances and authorisation to be approved. I did ring a few times with time wasting hours to enquire as to the progress of changing from married to single status.  They new how much I had in the bank and indicated that my case was not urgent and would be processed soon as time permitted.  They had many thousands of claims from desperate people needing urgent processing.  My situation was not urgent I agreed. When payment was finally approved the additional back payment for the 3 months I was entitled to it was deposited in my bank account.  Yes right back to the date/day they received my written application.

Edited by David Walden

2 hours ago, David Walden said:

As far as I am aware if you apply to Centrelink for a new claim or a change of circumstances for anything, that  financial change takes place on the day you made the written application.  A recent experience for me it took 3 months for my change of circumstances and authorisation to be approved. I did ring a few times with time wasting hours to enquire as to the progress of changing from married to single status.  They new how much I had in the bank and indicated that my case was not urgent and would be processed soon as time permitted.  They had many thousands of claims from desperate people needing urgent processing.  My situation was not urgent I agreed. When payment was finally approved the additional back payment for the 3 months I was entitled to it was deposited in my bank account.  Yes right back to the date/day they received my written application.

I am frankly baffled as to why Centrelink persists with a telephone service which is so dysfunctional it's some kind of sick joke. Perhaps it could be improved by restricting it to remote areas where it is difficult to access a Centrelink office.

I've always found the most effective method in dealing with Centrelink is to attend one of their offices, and I take my Kindle along to read while I'm waiting.

7 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I am frankly baffled as to why Centrelink persists with a telephone service which is so dysfunctional it's some kind of sick joke. Perhaps it could be improved by restricting it to remote areas where it is difficult to access a Centrelink office.

I've always found the most effective method in dealing with Centrelink is to attend one of their offices, and I take my Kindle along to read while I'm waiting.

Good point Bazza 73...Centrelink staff at the regional office I attend are very nice.  Sometimes when people arrive to have it out with staff when their claim has been rejected or delayed the sparks fly, for many of these unfortunates their plight is very serious, like wife and 3 kids, lost job, no money, about to be evicted etc. etc.  A similar situation only ever occurred to me once in my younger days.  For 9 months I just went to and from work at a job I found saved every penny I could, no social life at all.  Never ever been without money in the bank since.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 3:19 AM, halloween said:

Yep. AFAIK it was 6 months in advance, but now 13 weeks to allow for processing, and hopefully, approval. 

I think they called it giving notice of intent to apply or something when I did it in 2013, and yes, it was 13 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Walden said:

Good point Bazza 73...Centrelink staff at the regional office I attend are very nice.  Sometimes when people arrive to have it out with staff when their claim has been rejected or delayed the sparks fly, for many of these unfortunates their plight is very serious, like wife and 3 kids, lost job, no money, about to be evicted etc. etc.  A similar situation only ever occurred to me once in my younger days.  For 9 months I just went to and from work at a job I found saved every penny I could, no social life at all.  Never ever been without money in the bank since.

I count myself as considerably more fortunate than others. One can't help overhearing some fairly harrowing stories as I wait my turn. Although some are in genuine need, a few sound to me like self-inflicted wounds.

It is a stressful environment, probably made worse by the fact one is supposed to disclose very personal information within earshot of complete strangers. I have sympathy for both the Centrelink staff and the people they are trying to help.

17 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I think they called it giving notice of intent to apply or something when I did it in 2013, and yes, it was 13 weeks. 

The application can be made in advance so that complicated cases can be processed and the payment made on the first due date. I have a lot of overseas travel and a long period of o/s residence, all of which will need to be dated. The last 4 years, I have spent just over 183 days in Oz each year, so I am claiming both residence and that I have 2 years in-country after holidays deducted.

• Like 2

Callooh callay...

Aussie dollar could hit US90c in 2018, says HSBC

Improving global growth and synchronised interest rate hikes could drive the Australian dollar as high as 90 US cents next year, an economist says.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/markets/currencies/fedaussie-dollar-poised-for-a-surge-in-2018-20171207-p4yxin.html?btis

• Like 1

^ Other analysts say it's heading for the mid-60s against the USD.  Might as well see a fortune teller.  

All I know is the AUD has not been as low as it currently is against the THB since 2009, just after the GFC.  Ouch.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 11:41 AM, Lizard2010 said:

Will be interesting to see at low 24 baht to the A$ not good

If goes down to the low US  .60s cents will not be good for us

It will be a good thing. It will improve the quality of Ozzies living ;here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, superglue said:

My  understanding is that existing expats must return to Oz for 2 years prior to becoming eligible for the OAP.

Read this topic from the beginning. Your understanding is wrong and has been covered hundreds of times already.

I have not read the full 120+ pages but have been eligible for the OAP for 4 years.

I would appreciate details of where the application should be sent.

BTW, I have been provided with contradictory information - the Oz Embassy in BKK & the Honorary Consulate in CNX.

8 minutes ago, nev said:

You can return and get the pension straight away if you have reached the age you can receive the pension, it is you have to live in Oz for two years before you gain portabilty so you can take it overseas.

It is a stupid rule and just another hoop to jump through to be able to live overseas on your pension.

It is even more stupid. I am wheelchair bound & have nowhere to stay.

1 hour ago, superglue said:

I have not read the full 120+ pages but have been eligible for the OAP for 4 years.

I would appreciate details of where the application should be sent.

BTW, I have been provided with contradictory information - the Oz Embassy in BKK & the Honorary Consulate in CNX.

Don't waste time with the Embassy or consulates, call Centrelink International Services on their overseas line.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, superglue said:

What is the telephone number?

This has been discussed with you in depth a few months ago.

You actually posted this on Oct 9 & 10

"I have been communicating with an employee from Human Services. He contacted me after I emailed the Minister.

I am aware of the legislation relating to being in Oz for 2 years prior to being eligible for the OAP.

I sought exemption on the basis of my situation viz disabled and having no communication with relatives.

There are no hardship provisions within the Act so I will not be going to Oz.

I advised officer that he was signing my death warrant. He apologized but stated that he was unable to do anything about it."

"Australians residing overseas have additional hoops to jump. Live in LOS & you must return to Oz for 2 years.

There are no exceptions as I have just discovered."

Nothing has changed since then.

What contradictory information have you been given?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nev said:

You can return and get the pension straight away if you have reached the age you can receive the pension, it is you have to live in Oz for two years before you gain portabilty so you can take it overseas.

It is a stupid rule and just another hoop to jump through to be able to live overseas on your pension.

I had been in thailand for 10 years, went back to Oz, applied for the OAP, came back to LOS and a few weeks later, got my OAP. End of story, im out here,

45 minutes ago, keithpa said:

I had been in thailand for 10 years, went back to Oz, applied for the OAP, came back to LOS and a few weeks later, got my OAP. End of story, im out here,

No two years to wait, I hope what you say is true I don't want to have to go back and leave my family find a place to live and see out two bloody years.

I am 8 years away from having to go back and anything can happen in that time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, keithpa said:

You must be the one exception to the rule.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, nev said:

No two years to wait, I hope what you say is true I don't want to have to go back and leave my family find a place to live and see out two bloody years.

I am 8 years away from having to go back and anything can happen in that time.

8 years, could be a whole new ball game by then, if your still alive.

You can consider yourself most fortunate, the Act is quite specific on Age Pension Portability.

7.1.4 Requirements for Former Residents of Australia Receiving a Portable Pension

Summary - for Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA

A person arriving in or returning to Australia (1.1.A.320) must satisfy the Act's definition of Australian resident in order to lodge a proper claim for a pension. A former resident who returns to Australia and is granted a pension (Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA), or who transferred under SS(Admin)Act section 12 to Age CANNOT take that pension outside Australia if they leave again within 24 months after having again become an Australian resident. The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from coming to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas.

Exception: The 24 month former resident waiting period does not apply if the person is eligible for financial assistance under the Medical Treatment Overseas Program in respect of their absence from Australia or needs to accompany such a person.

Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) An Australian resident…, section 43(1) Qualification for age pension, section 1220 No portability where claim based on short residence, section 1218D Extension of person's portability period - life - saving medical treatment overseas

SS(Admin)Act section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

You can consider yourself most fortunate, the Act is quite specific on Age Pension Portability.

7.1.4 Requirements for Former Residents of Australia Receiving a Portable Pension

Summary - for Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA

A person arriving in or returning to Australia (1.1.A.320) must satisfy the Act's definition of Australian resident in order to lodge a proper claim for a pension. A former resident who returns to Australia and is granted a pension (Age, DSP, WP, WidB, BVA), or who transferred under SS(Admin)Act section 12 to Age CANNOT take that pension outside Australia if they leave again within 24 months after having again become an Australian resident. The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from coming to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas.

Exception: The 24 month former resident waiting period does not apply if the person is eligible for financial assistance under the Medical Treatment Overseas Program in respect of their absence from Australia or needs to accompany such a person.

Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) An Australian resident…, section 43(1) Qualification for age pension, section 1220 No portability where claim based on short residence, section 1218D Extension of person's portability period - life - saving medical treatment overseas

SS(Admin)Act section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases

One should know my circumstances before doubting me. I was not a former resident. I lived with  my son and took long holidays abroad.