Australian Aged Pension

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I would tend to agree.

They should be incentivizing pensioners to leave OZ, as they need more housing to  increase immigration to address the worker shortage and growth for taxation income.

I would suggest possibly more than 1m expats returned home during the three years of COVID. 

At least 500k returned in the first 12 months.

This no doubt exacerbated the medical and housing situation in Australia.

What about all that lost pension money to the Australian economy, and all that lost non resident tax revenue, for which I have admitted that I have escaped for some years.

Don't you think that would outweigh some longer wait times for medical, and why would the government care what the returning expats do for accommodation.    

You are still stuck in denial that the Australia government actually cares about its citizens, it doesn't. 

I have posted links to the serious situation the Australian economy is in.  They need the money, and will be chasing every dollar.  They will not be held to ransom over some longer wait times for free medical, and returning pensioners living with friends and relatives. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

15 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

You are still stuck in denial that the Australia government actually cares about its citizens, it doesn't. 

With respect and IMHO, you are still stuck in denial that anyone on this forum actually cares about what you say , they don't. 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 4:36 AM, Lacessit said:

You joined in 2011. How do you know I was not posting under a previous nom-de-plume prior to 2017?

That would be against forum rules, but unlike many on this thread who have reported me, i will not be reporting you.  :smile:

They are miffed when I post facts in rebuttal of their misinformation and/or conspiracy theories, or when I demonstrate the dishonesty of their arguments. As I have done quite a few times with you.

Still waiting for some credible links from you to rebut the links, yes links, not opinions, I have posted. 

No link from you in your last 26 posts.  I gave up counting after that. 

I welcome any rebuttal links.  Please post some. 

You were not wrong when you said there were 2.5 million pensioners in Australia. You were wrong when you said those pensioners could afford to live in Australia. Of course, that fact was ignored in your response.

Nothing wrong with forming hypotheses, it is when they are treated as established fact problems begin. As many organizations have found out to their cost.

It's a Labor government. We all know the track record of the Liberals, what logically do you think Jim Chalmers will do, when it's a choice between going after a small cohort of overseas pensioners for very little gain and some political risk, or removing rorts for the rich for much bigger gains and widespread public approval?

Does the word "living" mean "alive" and also refer to their geographic location, being in Australia?  

Your argument goes to lifestyle, which is irrelevant. 

How can a hypothesis be fact.  A hypothesis is formed prior to fact.  

After all this time you still do not get it.  I have posted links showing Jim Chalmers' hands are tied.  The Australian economy is not in good shape, and he can't please everyone on the 9th May, and following budgets.

He taxes wealthy expats, and expat pensioners will just be collateral damage.  As another member put it, "a blanket tax."  He's not targeting pensioners, but they may well be caught up in the net.

The current laws are 90 years old, and have a big gray area, one that myself, and yourself, being on a part pension, have used to our advantage.  They will put an end to the gray area, for everyone, and without any exemption or thresholds, that means pensioners are caught up as well. 

Your whole hope, opinion, or hypothesis is based on the notion of bad publicity for government, or lost votes from expat pensioners if these laws are passed, but the other 2.5 million pensioners in Australia will not give a rat's, and neither will any media outlets, for the, estimated 80,000 expat pensioners by your numbers, and the estimated 200,000 expat pensioners by my numbers.  It will not be put to the public about the small cohort of expat pensioners as it will be insignificant to the public. 

No one will care, least of all the government, and there's next to no votes lost because expat pensions do not go to an Australian Embassy at election time.  

Look at all the information on the websites of financial advisors, investment houses, accounting firms etc.  Many links to them have been posted.  They are all aware something is in the wind, with some of them already offering some basic interpretations of the proposed changes.  Are they forming a wrong hypothesis?  Are they wasting their time? 

In my opinion, the laws will be passed at some stage in the future, regardless of which party is in government.  The best we can hope for are exemptions or thresholds, but neither of these are mentioned in the proposed changes, so strap yourself in and get ready for the ride. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

With respect and IMHO, you are still stuck in denial that anyone on this forum actually cares about what you say , they don't. 

I've never been in denial about that. 

I don't care that they don't care about my posts on this issue, and with respect, I don't care about your personal attacks and trolling me. 

On many occasions I have requested them to put me on their ignore list.  You should feel free to do the same.  I couldn't care less. 

It's a serious issue that will effect all expats, including pensioners.  The May budget is approaching, and whilst I think the proposed changes will not be put forward in the May budget, there's a chance they could be.  

I don't care if other people don't care about the issue. 

13 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Does Centrelink actually know if you move to a Different country (Thailand) if you keep your bank account? Can they track you withdrawing money overseas?

Ahhh, the old, "I have an Australian bank account so I am still an Australian resident" argument.  :smile:

Australian immigration know you are outside of Australia, and for how long, thus, Centrelink know as well. 

There have been many posts and examples given about this.  It has nothing to do with using an ATM overseas.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

That would be against forum rules, but unlike many on this thread who have reported me, i will not be reporting you.  :smile:

Still waiting for some credible links from you to rebut the links, yes links, not opinions, I have posted. 

No link from you in your last 26 posts.  I gave up counting after that. 

I welcome any rebuttal links.  Please post some. 

Does the word "living" mean "alive" and also refer to their geographic location, being in Australia?  

Your argument goes to lifestyle, which is irrelevant. 

How can a hypothesis be fact.  A hypothesis is formed prior to fact.  

After all this time you still do not get it.  I have posted links showing Jim Chalmers' hands are tied.  The Australian economy is not in good shape, and he can't please everyone on the 9th May, and following budgets.

He taxes wealthy expats, and expat pensioners will just be collateral damage.  As another member put it, "a blanket tax."  He's not targeting pensioners, but they may well be caught up in the net.

The current laws are 90 years old, and have a big gray area, one that myself, and yourself, being on a part pension, have used to our advantage.  They will put an end to the gray area, for everyone, and without any exemption or thresholds, that means pensioners are caught up as well. 

Your whole hope, opinion, or hypothesis is based on the notion of bad publicity for government, or lost votes from expat pensioners if these laws are passed, but the other 2.5 million pensioners in Australia will not give a rat's, and neither will any media outlets, for the, estimated 80,000 expat pensioners by your numbers, and the estimated 200,000 expat pensioners by my numbers.  It will not be put to the public about the small cohort of expat pensioners as it will be insignificant to the public. 

No one will care, least of all the government, and there's next to no votes lost because expat pensions do not go to an Australian Embassy at election time.  

Look at all the information on the websites of financial advisors, investment houses, accounting firms etc.  Many links to them have been posted.  They are all aware something is in the wind, with some of them already offering some basic interpretations of the proposed changes.  Are they forming a wrong hypothesis?  Are they wasting their time? 

In my opinion, the laws will be passed at some stage in the future, regardless of which party is in government.  The best we can hope for are exemptions or thresholds, but neither of these are mentioned in the proposed changes, so strap yourself in and get ready for the ride. 

Shows how little you know, a change of email address and ISP is all that is needed to have a different nom-de-plume.

I can't be bothered answering the rest of your post, it's the same stuff repeated over 300 times.

8 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I've never been in denial about that. 

I don't care that they don't care about my posts on this issue, and with respect, I don't care about your personal attacks and trolling me. 

On many occasions I have requested them to put me on their ignore list.  You should feel free to do the same.  I couldn't care less. 

It's a serious issue that will effect all expats, including pensioners.  The May budget is approaching, and whilst I think the proposed changes will not be put forward in the May budget, there's a chance they could be.  

I don't care if other people don't care about the issue. 

Still pushing the same old tired barrow KH. It's you opinion and doesn't count for much but to repeat it 353 time is way over the top and you're not even a pensioner receiving the OAP.

Start another thread for your favourite topic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Shows how little you know, a change of email address and ISP is all that is needed to have a different nom-de-plume.

Once again, no "credible" rebuttal link / quote to back up what is constantly your only your opinion.

Below are the forum rules.

21. You will use a valid email address to register with ASEAN NOW. You will not use temporary or disposable email addresses to register with ASEAN NOW. You will keep the email address that you register with ASEAN NOW current so that you can receive ASEAN NOW notices.

36. Multiple accounts by the same person are not allowed. Creating a duplicate account whilst under a posting suspension could lead to further suspensions being applied. If you have access issues email support (at) aseannow.com

It's not about how easy it is to break forum rules, it's about the forum rules themselves. 

Someone with over 19.000 posts trolling someone with only 1,800 posts for posting too much is funny.  :smile:

38 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Still pushing the same old tired barrow KH. It's you opinion and doesn't count for much but to repeat it 353 time is way over the top and you're not even a pensioner receiving the OAP.

Start another thread for your favourite topic

Have you even put forward your own opinion on the issue? 

Which scenario do you think will happen? 

1) The changes will never come in. 

2) The changes will come in and every expat will be taxed. 

3)  The changes will come in but with some exemptions / thresholds.

The proposed changes will effect every Australian expat, even pensioners, because as they stand, there are no exemptions or thresholds.  These proposed changes are very much on topic in the thread. 

Are all the links, particularly those to the proposed changes, that I have posted, my "opinion" also? Do you have any comment on them, or just wish to shoot the messenger because you don't like the message?

Do those links "count for much" or are they just the "opinion" of economists, accountants, financial advisors, journalists etc? 

Here's an example.  Many members thought that once Labor was voted in these proposed changes would be dead in the water.

The last link I posted, just a few posts ago.

https://www.afr.com/policy/tax-and-super/assistant-treasurer-flags-new-tax-residency-rules-20220826-p5bd1v

See the headline:  "Assistant treasurer hints at new tax residency rules."

That's the Assistant Treasurer of the current Labor government and is dated August 2022, yet yourself, and others, still only think it's my "opinion." 

It was in Labor's "in-tray" for the October budget, and it was "being looked at."  He made these comments to expats in Singapore, yet those who thought Labor would never bring in the changes still say it's only my "opinion." 

"Assistant Treasurer Stephen Jones told an Australian Chamber of Commerce event in Singapore this week the new rules for deciding Australian tax residency were in “the government’s in-tray” ahead of the October budget, and the day limit was “being looked at."

To those who think Labor will never bring in the proposed changes, does the article carry any weight, at all?

Is the Financial Review a credible news source, or is the article only the "opinion" of the journalists? 

Are all of these accountants, financial advisors, economists, journalists etc, who have been linked on this forum, wasting their time informing their clients and publishing the proposed changes?  Have they all got it wrong?  Is it all fake news?  Is it a scam?  What is the purpose of all the information in the links? 

It's easy to criticize the opinion of others when you don't have one of your own. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

1 hour ago, Yeah rightio said:

From the perspective of an Australian Aged Pensioner who only receives the aged pension; after contacting both Centrelink & ATO I have no fear from the argument that @Khun Heineken keeps pushing because, the aged pension has a tax free threshold, as well as being eligible for the Low Income Tax Offset and the Seniors and Pensioners Tax Offset (SAPTO). People in this cohort are not required to pay any tax, no matter their place of residence and therefore cannot be caught up in this protracted 'Tax Residency' nonsense.

In fact they can even earn up to $33,000 before being eligible to pay any tax in Oz.

Those of you who are Self Funded, earning income that is taxable however, are in an entirely different cohort.

So, probably best to stop with the fear mongering.

Pay the proscribed tax or go home for the required days. I'm sure you can all afford it........ If you can't; spare a though for those of us on only the aged pension which gets penalised when we leave through the removal of supplements after six weeks anyhow. Geez....

"Who doesn't have to lodge a tax return in Australia?

You usually don't need to lodge a tax return where: your income is under the tax-free threshold ($18,200) no tax has been withheld from that income."

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/your-tax-return/how-to-lodge-your-tax-return/lodge-a-non-lodgment-advice/#:~:text=You usually don't need,been withheld from that in

come.

With respect, I suggest that this is only your interpretation of the ATO rules.

Perhaps you could post some links and elaborate some more explanation to support your post?

Especially, "people in this cohort are not required to pay any tax, no matter their place of residence".

Your assessment seems confusing in the light of this article from ATO.

What is the tax treatment of Australian age pension when living abroad? | ATO Community

It would seem that only the SAPTO @ $2k is applicable, so tax would still be payable if you were deemed to be a non-resident unless there are other reasons for your statement.

And also what is your interpretation of the word  "proscribed" used in your post's context.

Edited by LosLobo

2 hours ago, Yeah rightio said:

From the perspective of an Australian Aged Pensioner who only receives the aged pension; after contacting both Centrelink & ATO I have no fear from the argument that @Khun Heineken keeps pushing because, the aged pension has a tax free threshold, as well as being eligible for the Low Income Tax Offset and the Seniors and Pensioners Tax Offset (SAPTO). People in this cohort are not required to pay any tax, no matter their place of residence and therefore cannot be caught up in this protracted 'Tax Residency' nonsense.

Firstly, the proposed changes have not come in yet, so whatever Centrelink and the ATO have told you may very well be irrelevant if / when they come in.  

Here is the resident tax brackets.  This is what you are wrongly referring to for pensioners living in Thailand.

Residents

These rates apply to individuals who are Australian residents for tax purposes.

Resident tax rates 2022–23

Resident tax rates 2022–23

Taxable income

Tax on this income

0 – $18,200

Nil

$18,201 – $45,000

19 cents for each $1 over $18,200

$45,001 – $120,000

$5,092 plus 32.5 cents for each $1 over $45,000

$120,001 – $180,000

$29,467 plus 37 cents for each $1 over $120,000

$180,001 and over

$51,667 plus 45 cents for each $1 over $180,000

The above rates do not include the Medicare levy of 2%.

Here are the non resident tax brackets.  This is what applies to people who are non residents for taxation purposes. 

Foreign residents

These rates apply to individuals who are foreign residents for tax purposes.

Foreign resident tax rates 2022–23

Foreign resident tax rates 2022–23

Taxable income

Tax on this income

0 – $120,000

32.5 cents for each $1

$120,001 – $180,000

$39,000 plus 37 cents for each $1 over $120,000

$180,001 and over

$61,200 plus 45 cents for each $1 over $180,000

Many expats, including pensioners, have been taking advantage of the gray area that the 90 year old non resident tax laws have. 

The above comes from the ATO website it is not my opinion and I didn't make up the chart.  You can view it on the below link.

https://www.ato.gov.au/rates/individual-income-tax-rates/

Can you indicate to me where a non resident has a tax free threshold? 

2 hours ago, Yeah rightio said:

Those of you who are Self Funded, earning income that is taxable however, are in an entirely different cohort.

So, probably best to stop with the fear mongering.

Pay the proscribed tax or go home for the required days. I'm sure you can all afford it........ If you can't; spare a though for those of us on only the aged pension which gets penalised when we leave through the removal of supplements after six weeks anyhow. Geez....

You fail to realize that an Australian pension is deemed to be an income by the ATO. 

Income and assets tests

These tests measure your income (how much money you get) and the value of your assets (what you own, for example, any investment properties).

If your income or assets are above certain limits, your pension payment will be reduced, or you may not be eligible at all.

Your income includes money from:

• employment
  • pensions
  • annuities
  • investments
  • earnings outside Australia
  • salary packaging

See income test for pensions on the Services Australia website.

Your assets include things like:

• investment properties
  • caravans, cars and boats
  • business assets

The above is not my opinion.  I didn't make them up.  You can view the above on the link below.

https://moneysmart.gov.au/retirement-income/age-pension-and-government-benefits

You state how easy it is from them to reduce your pension when outside of Australia for 6 weeks.  They will have the same ease declaring you a non resident for tax purposes and reducing pensions by 32.5%, and the magic number for resident / non resident is 183 days a year, proven by immigration records.

You can view the proposed changes to non resident tax in many links.  Here's just one of them.

https://hlb.com.au/tax-residency-changes-for-individuals/

This is the main part.

"Therefore, the Government in the 2020-2021 Federal Budget announced that it will replace the current individual tax residency rules with new primary and secondary tests to determine one’s tax residency.

The primarily test is the 183-day test, that is, if a person who is physically present in Australia for a period of 183 days or more in any income year, this person will be considered as a resident for Australian tax purposes."

You will notice there is no mention of exemptions or a change to non resident tax free thresholds in the proposed changes. 

In relation to the above information, can you tell me how you propose to remain a resident of Australia for tax purposes when you are living in Thailand full time, and definitely outside of Australia for 183 days? 

Can you tell me how you propose to argue with the ATO that your pension is not an income? 

Can you tell me how you propose to argue with the ATO that resident tax brackets and not non resident tax brackets, which have no tax free threshold, should be applied to your circumstances, despite the fact you are living in Thailand?   

Given all of the the above, can you tell me what part of it is my "opinion" and where is the "scaremongering?" 

Edited by KhunHeineken

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

With respect, I suggest that this is only your interpretation of the ATO rules.

Perhaps you could post some links and elaborate some more explanation to support your post?

Especially, "people in this cohort are not required to pay any tax, no matter their place of residence".

Your assessment seems confusing in the light of this article from ATO.

What is the tax treatment of Australian age pension when living abroad? | ATO Community

It would seem that only the SAPTO @ $2k is applicable, so tax would still be payable if you were deemed to be a non-resident unless there are other reasons for your statement.

And also what is your interpretation of the word  "proscribed" used in your post's context.

I think Blake in your link, who is from the ATO, has summed up Bob's situation pretty well.  

If Bob wants to retire full time abroad, he'll have to do so on 32.5% less pension. 

Or, this could be just Blake's opinion, and he's just scaremongering.  :smile:

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

I think Blake in your link, who is from the ATO, has summed up Bob's situation pretty well.  

If Bob wants to retire full time abroad, he'll have to do so on 32.5% less pension. 

Or, this could be just Blake's opinion, and he's just scaremongering.  :smile:

Blake is your best friend! ????????????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Once again, no "credible" rebuttal link / quote to back up what is constantly your only your opinion.

Below are the forum rules.

21. You will use a valid email address to register with ASEAN NOW. You will not use temporary or disposable email addresses to register with ASEAN NOW. You will keep the email address that you register with ASEAN NOW current so that you can receive ASEAN NOW notices.

36. Multiple accounts by the same person are not allowed. Creating a duplicate account whilst under a posting suspension could lead to further suspensions being applied. If you have access issues email support (at) aseannow.com

It's not about how easy it is to break forum rules, it's about the forum rules themselves. 

Someone with over 19.000 posts trolling someone with only 1,800 posts for posting too much is funny.  :smile:

All I can say is I was posting under a different nom-de-plume on Thai Visa prior to 2017, make of that what you will.

We have had this discussion of trolling before, take a poll of posters here as to who is regarded as the troll.

You post too much in terms of repetitive and boring verbiage, like a broken record.

This post is four sentences, I doubt you have any of the 350-odd that are less than four paragraphs, most reiterating your previous posts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2008 at 8:15 PM, gburns57au said:

If you are penalised.....the rate of pension you receive is linked to the cost of living in the country where you are staying. In Thailand that means you will get stuff all.

I would be very interested to see some official source of this.

16 hours ago, Olmate said:

Blake is your best friend! ????????????

No, he's not, but amazing how his one post is believed, and my over 300 posts saying the same thing were not, despite me posting many links showing exactly what Blake has stated in his advice to Bob.   :smile:

Like I said, it was bound to be an unpopular message, thus making the messenger unpopular as well, but unlike some others on this forum, I don't care about Likes, Thumbs Ups, Scores, Ratings etc. 

I've discussed the psychology behind many posts with another member.  Basically, attack the messenger in the hope that the message will change, and join the "herd" in the attack for safety in numbers.   

This is why many consistently said it was just my opinion, or I was making stuff up, or it was only my interpretation, or I was only scaremongering.  This was followed by personal attacks and trolling, much of which was quite humorous, yet, nothing has changed, with the proposed changes still in the current government's "in-tray." 

I found being called a scaremonger interesting, because I didn't put forward a rumor, or make up the proposed changes myself, they were there in black and white, on many website, for all to see.  I suggested it was the legislation scaring people, and not me scaring people, but no, apparently it was me, because I made them aware of the legislation.  :smile:  Once again, the psychology behind the posts.    

I look back and some posts were just hilarious.  The "That's just for guys like Paul Hogan" and the "I still have a Medicare Card so I am still a resident" posts just instilled in me that people needed the proposed changes explained to them.   

A recent post by a member basically asking if he didn't pull out his money from an ATM in Thailand would the government know he is not in Australia shows people still need to be informed of what's coming their way.  

This was followed by a member criticizing me, and then posting completely false information by way of telling people non residents can still benefit from a tax free threshold.  I posted the non resident tax brackets for about the fifth time for his benefit, and people want to have a go at me for my post count. 

Members needed to be informed about the impact these proposed changes will have on them.  A lot of false information and myths needed to be discussed, but as I have said, any information that involves telling people they may lose some money, even if they are a pensioner, was bound to be met with anger. 

I thank LosLobo for posting the link.  If Blake's advice to Bob in the link doesn't show the seriousness of these proposed changes, I don't know what will.

Perhaps now the discussion can move forward to more constructive things like some expat pension maximization strategies for pensioners, and some expat self funded tax minimization strategies for those who are self funded.  

Unfortunately, other than doing 6 months in Australia every year, self funded retirees would need to completely restructure their finances to minimize this tax, something that is not easy, quick, nor cheap.  I've already had a brief discussion about this with my accountant. 

As for pensioners, sadly, I don't see many options, because as I have said in the past, their fortnightly "payer" may also become their fortnightly  "taxer" so the way I view it is the only options available to pensioners is a reduction in either lifestyle or savings, or doing 6 months in Australia.  Perhaps moving to a nearby cheaper country may also be an option.  They could maintain the same lifestyle, despite a 32.5% reduction in pension.

In my opinion, and I'll say that again, in my opinion, I don't think the proposed changes will be in the May budget, but they could be, and even if they are, I can't see them starting on 1st July 23, so that would most likely mean 1st July 24 at the earliest.  So there will be some time to plan how to deal with it.  

As I have said many times before, Good Luck to all of us with these proposed changes.   

Edited by KhunHeineken

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All I can say is I was posting under a different nom-de-plume on Thai Visa prior to 2017, make of that what you will.

Like I said, beaches forum rules, but I will not be reporting you, despite your admissions. 

We have had this discussion of trolling before, take a poll of posters here as to who is regarded as the troll.

If we took a poll in Nazi Germany back in the day about whether Hitler was a good guy or not, would it be a true indication of his character?  :smile:

You post too much in terms of repetitive and boring verbiage, like a broken record.

This post is four sentences, I doubt you have any of the 350-odd that are less than four paragraphs, most reiterating your previous posts.

I just addressed this in another post. 

Members jump into this sub topic of the thread on the current page.  They doing scroll back and see previous links and read previous discussion.  

I've just posted the non resident tax brackets for a member for about the fifth or sixth time on this thread.  Should I tell him to just scroll back, as they have been posted before? 

You got me.  This post is six sentences.  I know it's difficult for readers to maintain attention for two extra sentences.  :smile: 

Price, Waterhouse, Coopers keeping an eye on the May budget for the government's intentions in relation to the proposed changes.  

https://www.pwc.com.au/publications/federal-budget-2023/analysis-and-insights/multinational-tax-updates.html

"We also hope to see the Government indicate its intentions with respect to the former Government's announced but unenacted measures, for which a decision was not made in the October 2022 Budget, including the patent box regime, corporate and individual residency changes and whether we will see any reforms to the deemed dividend rules affecting private companies."

Of course, it could just be the opinion of their staff, and they are scaremongering.  :smile: 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Price, Waterhouse, Coopers keeping an eye on the May budget for the government's intentions in relation to the proposed changes.  

https://www.pwc.com.au/publications/federal-budget-2023/analysis-and-insights/multinational-tax-updates.html

"We also hope to see the Government indicate its intentions with respect to the former Government's announced but unenacted measures, for which a decision was not made in the October 2022 Budget, including the patent box regime, corporate and individual residency changes and whether we will see any reforms to the deemed dividend rules affecting private companies."

Of course, it could just be the opinion of their staff, and they are scaremongering.  :smile: 

Those patent box regime changes are certainly of concern to me!!  Definetly onpar with  1/3  cut to expat OAP.                          Is there any facility you can admit yourself to prior to this Budget announcment.????

Edited by Olmate

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

No, he's not, but amazing how his one post is believed, and my over 300 posts saying the same thing were not

It is not 'amazing', this is the result of you turning this once respectful and informative forum into a divisive dog's breakfast, obviously just to sate your own schadenfreude.

A good analogy to explain the reason for your obviously zero credibility on this forum is Aesop and his fable "The Boy who cried Wolf".

In the fable the boy only cried  "wolf" three or four times, your 362 times  is beyond the pale.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

It is not 'amazing', this is the result of you turning this once respectful and informative forum into a divisive dog's breakfast, obviously just to sate your own schadenfreude.

That's a bit rich coming from you with all your hate speech, personal attacks, abuse and trolling. 

How has discussion about this serious tax facing every expat turned this thread into a dogs breakfast?  It's you, and many others, that caused the thread to descend into the gutter. 

Talk about the pot and kettle.

I posted the proposed changes and everyone went off like a bomb, as if it was my fault for drafting them.  :smile:

Some of the replies as to why they will either not come in, or come in with little effect on expats, were ridiculous. 

The simple fact is, a high percentage of expat retirees have never paid non resident tax, and that includes myself.  We have fallen through the gray area net in the 90 year old law.  

The proposed changes, with the 183 day law was designed to turn the net into a scoop, so no holes for any expat to fall through.  This should have been the focus of most discussion, but it became clear a lot of expats had no real idea of their tax residency status and their current tax liability. 

Once told of the harsh reality in these changes, well, it wasn't difficult to see the psychology behind the personal attacks, abuse and trolling.  

44 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

A good analogy to explain the reason for your obviously zero credibility on this forum is Aesop and his fable "The Boy who cried Wolf".

In the fable the boy only cried  "wolf" three or four times, your 362 times  is beyond the pale.

Take it up with Bob and Blake from the ATO in YOUR link.  :smile:

One can only wonder what may have come of this discussion if you posted that link 20 pages ago. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Those patent box regime changes are certainly of concern to me!!  Definetly onpar with  1/3  cut to expat OAP.                          Is there any facility you can admit yourself to prior to this Budget announcment.????

There's always winners and losers on budget night, however, with the Australian economy the way it is, I think there will be more losers than winners for the foreseeable future.  The government needs to collect more money.  Simple as that.   

We may all dodge a bullet on the 9th May, but in my opinion, it's only a matter of time before those tax residency laws are passed.