Australian Aged Pension

30 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm sure you know because you seem to read every post on this subject.

There is no link from Centrelink saying that.

From what Scorecard has mentioned, it seems to be office policy only, not legislation.

No, I don't know, that's why I am asking for a credible link. 

ozfarang seemed to suggest the information about this could be obtained, you are saying it doesn't exits.

You are suggesting it's "office policy" but how can someone low down on the managerial ladder in a Centrelink office override the data base that knows you are overseas during the qualifying period?  Should one be cut off and their qualifying period put back to Day 1, is there an appeal mechanism?  Serious questions. 

Queue all the trolls and personal attacks for dare asking for some details.  :smile: 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

I missed them so much but LINE was a blessing in disguise with video calls, and maybe 3 days a week helping the kids do spelling practce etc. I asked my eldest g'daughter to make me a birhday cake and my son got them organized to have little party for my birthday and youngest g.daughter (then 4) tasked with blowing out the candle for me. And son drank an extra Chang for me for my birthday. 

MEET is a free app in the Google Play store. It is much more robust than LINE in terms of video quality, and, unlike LINE, does not drop out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

How do you get a carer's pension when you're travelling around housesitting?

The person being cared-for doesn’t need a full time carer, and if they do need assistance with anything there are others close-by to help out. 

Edited by Nemises

On 3/28/2023 at 7:47 AM, ozfarang said:

OK, here's the link.

Sorry I sent KH to Services Australia as it is found on the DSS site,

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4

Ok.  Thanks for the link. 

We have two websites saying two different things. 

When I click on the link I see the big disclaimer pop up box, and notice the title of the page says "Guides to social policy law." 

I'll check it out. 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:14 PM, Lacessit said:

There are a number of appeal mechanisms within the Centrelink website.

I have read some of the reasons that allowed someone to leave Australia during their 2 year qualifying period.  Death in the family etc.  I didn't see "holiday" so I somehow don't think that could be appealed.  

Executive policies can and do get bent by office staff at the coalface; however, IME it's usually in favor of the client.

Interesting.  I'll take that onboard.  

You have no skin in the game, and given your previous posts on this thread I'm puzzled as to why you think people here would be interested in assisting you with details.

You have made personal attacks on me. I think I can speak for many people on this forum who regard you as a troll.

Trying to assume the high moral ground does not work too well when one's halo is around their ankles.

This website can be viewed by the global public, if one was so vindictive to not help the general public because that would mean helping an individual, whom they have never even met, well, perhaps they need to self assess. 

I have only personally attacked those who have personally attacked me.  What's that saying about people in glass houses?

Not sure how I can be regarded as a troll when I have posted link, after link, after link supporting anything I have said, and when I have given my opinion, I have said, "In my opinion."  I think you will find because I simply delivered a message that was out of many's comfort zone, and their fear of change, I am the one that has been trolled.  

I am not assuming any moral high ground.  Very strange of you to think such a thing. Says more about you than me.  

I currently have no skin in the game, but if / when the proposed changes to non resident tax are passed, one strategy I am considering is a complete overhaul of my finances and possibly going from me paying the government every year, to the government paying me every year.   Many others may well do the same, so this information is relevant.  

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

I'm doing a second stint of 2 years back in Australia. My wife needs to do her 2 years for her pension to become portable and we will be together for the duration. Not all bad and I'm quite enjoying being back in Perth.

With both our full pensions and rent assistance we can live comfortable here even with the cost of living the way it is.

We don't run a car and public transport is free from 0900 to 1530 each day and free all weekend and on public holidays so getting around is easy, at no cost. Our apartment is walking distance to the CBD so no cost to get to the train system which covers most of the shopping centres we go to for shopping.

So no detention for me, rather a break from Thailand for a while

Melbourne is as cold as a well-digger's posterior. I could not imagine surviving here for 2 years. My sister has just had a rent increase of $170 a week.

For me, the difference is running an old bomb of a car. Not close to public transport. If I was renting, 50-60% of my pension would go on that expenditure alone.

In Thailand, I have two good cars and a scooter. I pay less per month in rent than I would for a week in Melbourne. Damn sure I would not have a swimming pool either.

I am wondering if the bureaucrats who came up with the two year rule were ever asked to justify it to the public, because I cannot see the sense of it.

It's good you can serve out your two years of the prison colony with equanimity, I'm just grateful I did not have to.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Melbourne is as cold as a well-digger's posterior. I could not imagine surviving here for 2 years. My sister has just had a rent increase of $170 a week.

For me, the difference is running an old bomb of a car. Not close to public transport. If I was renting, 50-60% of my pension would go on that expenditure alone.

In Thailand, I have two good cars and a scooter. I pay less per month in rent than I would for a week in Melbourne. Damn sure I would not have a swimming pool either.

I am wondering if the bureaucrats who came up with the two year rule were ever asked to justify it to the public, because I cannot see the sense of it.

It's good you can serve out your two years of the prison colony with equanimity, I'm just grateful I did not have to.

The 2 year rule is bloody outrageous.

An Aussie friend of mine is living is Greece and advised me she can apply for the pension from there.

I'm not eligible for the pension for about 6 years.

I could live rent free as my brother has a vacant house.

It's the 2 years away from family that would be the stinger for me.

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

The 2 year rule is bloody outrageous.

An Aussie friend of mine is living is Greece and advised me she can apply for the pension from there.

I'm not eligible for the pension for about 6 years.

I could live rent free as my brother has a vacant house.

It's the 2 years away from family that would be the stinger for me.

I suggest you check carefully with Centrelink. Get an appointment with a Financial Services Officer, they are much more competent than Centrelink front-line staff.

I might be wrong on this; however, AFAIK you can be away from Australia as much as you want during said 6 years. The critical thing is to be on Australian soil on the date you become eligible for the OAP. If you are not, the two year rule kicks in.

Also check whether you have lived in Australia for 35 years prior to getting the pension, otherwise the pension may be reduced in line with the number of years under the magic number.

I am wondering how many people were trapped by the 2-year rule, when Scotty locked us all out during COVID.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I suggest you check carefully with Centrelink. Get an appointment with a Financial Services Officer, they are much more competent than Centrelink front-line staff.

I might be wrong on this; however, AFAIK you can be away from Australia as much as you want during said 6 years. The critical thing is to be on Australian soil on the date you become eligible for the OAP. If you are not, the two year rule kicks in.

Also check whether you have lived in Australia for 35 years prior to getting the pension, otherwise the pension may be reduced in line with the number of years under the magic number.

I am wondering how many people were trapped by the 2-year rule, when Scotty locked us all out during COVID.

Thanks for that.

That's an interesting take.

I assumed I would need to do the 2 years once I returned.

I'll look into it.

28 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I would suggest that the two years residency rule kicks from the date of return irrespective if its before or after eligibility age.

The period is solely based on the date that the returning person resumes residency and is two years from that date. 

7.1.4 Requirements for former residents of Australia receiving a portable pension | Social Security Guide (dss.gov.au)

That's what I thought.

The 2 year stay will be required regardless.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The link directs me to a disclaimer, no information of substance on the topic. Note the link says "former residents."

The devil is in the detail. If one has lived overseas for an extended period of time, AND is deemed non-resident for tax purposes, the two year rule applies.

If the applicant maintains an Australian residential address ( I did ) and is present in Australia on the day they become eligible for the OAP, they get the pension. Full or part, doesn't matter.  I did not have to wait for two years.

As I said before, an appointment with an FSO is what is needed.

Click close on the Disclaimer!

There are residency criteria for the AAP.

Residency for tax purposes has got nothing to do with the AAP portability.

Possibility you are suffering from Mr 325 Posts fatigue .????

Don't forget .... Click close on the Disclaimer!

3.1.1.10 Residence requirements | Social Security Guide (dss.gov.au)

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Click close on the Disclaimer!

There are residency criteria for the AAP.

Residency for tax purposes has got nothing to do with the AAP portability.

Possibility you are suffering from Mr 325 Posts fatigue .????

Don't forget .... Click close on the Disclaimer!

3.1.1.10 Residence requirements | Social Security Guide (dss.gov.au)

You may be right, it is tiresome rebutting repeated bogus claims and misinformation.

At least I now know the purpose of the two year rule, to prevent Australians from claiming the pension and taking it back overseas immediately. Real dog in the manger stuff, with the dual purpose of employing more bureaucrats to police it. IMO it would fall apart if subjected to a stringent cost benefit analysis. I mean, what is the contribution to the Aussie economy by people waiting for their pension during those two years, against the drag on the welfare budget by bureaucrats who are employed to keep the system operating?

AFAIK no other country does this to their citizens, although I understand the Brits freeze the pension of expats, with no COL indexation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

1. Perhaps Greece is one of the countries Australia has a reciprical pension agreement with. If true maybe there's a different agreed process.

2. During the height of Covid some travel restrictions were announced but there were many exceptions to these restrictions for Australian citizens. I was in Oz at that time doing my 2 years. I quickly discovered that Australian citizens who hold PR for other countries* were exempt, also Australians who could prove long periods abroad with approrpriate visa were exempt.

*No need to state what country. 

Edited by scorecard

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

1. Perhaps Greece is one of the countries Australia has a reciprical pension agreement with. If true maybe there's a different agreed process.

There is: https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/international/international-social-security-agreements/current-international-social-security-agreements/australia-and-hellenic-republic-greece-frequently-asked-questions

Which is ironic weird given, from memory, Greeks where one of the reason the rules changed (or at least a lot of finger pointing, lots of bitching about Greeks heading back to Greece to live after getting the pension in the media back then, why the hell shouldn't they if they wanted to was my opinion then and now).

• Like 1