Australian Aged Pension

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

No.  I am posing links to proposed changes in legislation. Links to non resident tax brackets.  Links showing pensions are a taxable income. Links to the current 90 year old legislation. Links to the current Labor government acknowledging the proposed changes and not binning them.  Then, some of my opinion about how it all may unfold, and also debunking some of the ideas members have about how they can remain a resident of Australia for tax purposes, all the while whilst living in Thailand, perpetually. 

Most of my posts, accept the the ones continually addressing your personal attacks, contain links for the benefit of members.  The non resident tax brackets to scorecard a few days agao being the most recent, for example. 

"Proposed changes are a myth until they are passed in legislation."  These are your exact words from the post in question.   

See the words:  "Proposed changes are a myth"

Your last 20 to 30 posts have been nothing but personally attacking me.  No links, stats, screenshots etc.  Just personal attacks.  When's the last time you have posted any content worthy of being called information on this thread? 

You say you post on other threads, as I do I, but you only come on this thread to get emojis for you AN reputation by personally attacking, as if I give sh*t.  Yeah, you are a troll.  You're the biggest troll on this thread.  

I am afraid you are still terrible at logic and math.

Let's say I made 500 posts on this thread, which I am far from doing. Maybe 50 - 100, as if I care.

Those 500 posts get 2 positive emojis = 1000.

How does that stack up against 36,800 positives? It's still only 3%. Your claim I come on to this thread to get emoticons is ludicrous.

Now, I see you are attacking other posters who sided with me. How mature.

Is there someone coming along to support you?

You have stated before you are not an age pension recipient yourself. IMO that entitles everyone else on this thread to question your motivations in posting.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Probably in Dept of Housing,either way I feel sorry for him , obviously means he didn't save a brass razoo in his life ,no wonder he is miserable relying on government accommodation and  pension 

I have nothing but empathy for him 

Mind you most are better off than the guys who saved all their life and don't get any government benefits

Bit like the old guy whose wife is  a nurse in regional NSW ,sent her out to work because he didn't save any money all his life and lives in rented accommodation ,he didn't bother working all his life so sends his Thai wife out to work in Australia whilst he sits at home being bitter all because he didn't work & save 

I have nothing but empathy for these guys ,they didn't plan the future and now are bitter for the guys who saved and live off their Super 

I am on a part OAP because I lost a considerable amount during the GFC of 2008. With that money, I would not be a burden on the taxpayer.

There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of pension recipients in a similar situation after the GFC.

It is a matter of record the performance of government regulators such as the ACCC and ASIC was abysmal before, during, and after the GFC.

That situation is still in existence today. In point of fact, the stench of corruption still hangs over ASIC.

Which is why I have no compunction whatsoever in screwing the government for every cent I can get. They caused the problem.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Probably in Dept of Housing,either way I feel sorry for him , obviously means he didn't save a brass razoo in his life ,no wonder he is miserable relying on government accommodation and  pension 

I have nothing but empathy for him 

Mind you most are better off than the guys who saved all their life and don't get any government benefits

Bit like the old guy whose wife is  a nurse in regional NSW ,sent her out to work because he didn't save any money all his life and lives in rented accommodation ,he didn't bother working all his life so sends his Thai wife out to work!

I have nothing but empathy for these guys ,they didn't plan the future and now are bitter for the guys who saved and live off their Super 

The veteran's pension is quite lucrative, as well as many other Gold Card benefits, including free medical with choice of doctor, for life.  It is very different to the aged pension, hence, I am clling the member out to state on the record which pension he receives. 

The veteran's pension will still come under the proposed changes, if / when they pass, so that means Vets will lose more than those on the aged pension.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I found you out. 

One post you are on a veteran's pension, another post your are on the aged pension.  Credibility ZERO. 

I'll do my own poll on you. 

My vote is easy. scorecard is for of sh*t. 

With respect, instead of worrying about others' private affairs, have you ever considered focussing on the legitimacy of yourself currently claiming to be an Australian resident for tax purposes when you are obviously living in Thailand?

52 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

With respect, instead of worrying about others' private affairs, have you ever considered focussing on the legitimacy of yourself currently claiming to be an Australian resident for tax purposes when you are obviously living in Thailand?

I'm not worrying about his private affairs.  I couldn't care less.  Just calling BS on him, and his posts. 

I have always said I have been getting away with it for years, as have many of my friends, and many on this thread.  I have also said, it couldn't last forever.  The time will soon be upon us whereby the government will close the 90 year old loopholes and they will finally be able to collect non resident tax from me, and many others. 

We should all have been paying it, for decades, but have got away with it due to loopholes.  It's not my opinion.  It is a fact. 

Here it is again. 

https://community.ato.gov.au/s/question/a0J9s0000002ngF/p00172380

• Love It 1

On 12/14/2023 at 6:12 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Are you an Australia citizen? 

If we took a survey of members on this thread, how many of them would have a TFN? Any that don't would be in the minority. 

I don't have one and I am an Australian Citizen, it's easy to advise the ATO that you no longer require a TFN as you reside oversees etc etc and they will remove it, as they did for me.

55 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't have one and I am an Australian Citizen, it's easy to advise the ATO that you no longer require a TFN as you reside oversees etc etc and they will remove it, as they did for me.

I'm pretty sure you still have one.

It's pretty much yours for life once you get one.

It might be inactive but you still have one.

• Thanks 1

OK, so what happens if sometime in the future centrelink starts a security or some other process which requires that OAP recipients state their TFN number?

Also, if a personal FN number is deleted / dormant or whatever, will that TFN be included in a search for late / extremely late personal tax filing? Or will that TFN not be included in such searches? 

45 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm pretty sure you still have one.

It's pretty much yours for life once you get one.

It might be inactive but you still have one.

Agreed. It's highly unlikely a TFN would be allocated to anyone else, at least while the original recipient is still alive.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:01 PM, Lacessit said:

I am on a part OAP because I lost a considerable amount during the GFC of 2008. With that money, I would not be a burden on the taxpayer.

There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of pension recipients in a similar situation after the GFC.

It is a matter of record the performance of government regulators such as the ACCC and ASIC was abysmal before, during, and after the GFC.

That situation is still in existence today. In point of fact, the stench of corruption still hangs over ASIC.

Which is why I have no compunction whatsoever in screwing the government for every cent I can get. They caused the problem.

There's also many OAP /disability* recipients who have had many years of difficulties / severe difficulties in regard to finding work and holding such positions. (*including war veterans who suffer with severe PTSD issues. And please don't instantly say 'Why don't they get a DVA compensation payment, it's complicated.) 

All of the above is very hurtful when people say 'Why do you get the OAP, why didn't you work harder and save to support yourself in old age?'

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

OK, so what happens if sometime in the future centrelink starts a security or some other process which requires that OAP recipients state their TFN number?

Also, if a personal FN number is deleted / dormant or whatever, will that TFN be included in a search for late / extremely late personal tax filing? Or will that TFN not be included in such searches? 

I reckon 99% of people receiving Centrelink benefits would have a TFN.

Pretty much everyone with a bank account really.

If the ATO are looking at someone's records, unless they have the TFN upfront, 

they will check on name, DOB. address etc.

The TFN will still show up on a search.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They don't remove it, they deactivate it.  It stays with you for life, no matter where you live.

https://community.ato.gov.au/s/question/a0J9s0000001DBr/p00027010

• Thanks 1

A TFN is only one of a few ways Centerlink can identify you. 

In any case, how do you propose to get around the immigration data base showing you are outside of Australia? 

13 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I reckon 99% of people receiving Centrelink benefits would have a TFN.

Pretty much everyone with a bank account really.

If the ATO are looking at someone's records, unless they have the TFN upfront, 

they will check on name, DOB. address etc.

The TFN will still show up on a search.

Medicare number is also another method.  They have many cross references at their disposal.  Even passport numbers.  Hint Hint.  :smile:

7 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Could you give this non-Aussie a pointer ?

There are 1000's, probably 10's of 1000's of Brits who have both a Veterans Pension and the UK's State Pension.

Is Australia different ?

If you get one of them, you can't qualify for the other one.  

All of the above is very hurtful when people say 'Why do you get the OAP, why didn't you work harder and save to support yourself in old age?'

I had a six-figure salary prior to 2000. If I knew then what I know now in terms of scammers, I would not be getting Centrelink benefits.

I have a friend in Australia who was earning a really big dollar as a software designer. He and his wife are living in rented accommodation, both drawing a full OAP. He lost all his money to a crooked partner, who looted the partnership bank account and all the other assets. He disappeared to South America.

I think the Arab/Muslim countries have the right idea when they cut off the right hands of thieves.

No one can predict the future. Although someone on this thread thinks they can.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

There are 1000's, probably 10's of 1000's of Brits who have both a Veterans Pension and the UK's State Pension.

Is Australia different ?

There's quite a few Aussie war veterans (Vietnam through to the recent Afghanistan conflicts) who receive:

- The Oz 0AP or the DVA Service pension (the details are 99.9% the same), and the person can elect which one to take.

- And..  the DVA Permanent Disability Compensation Allowance  (previously, until about 1 year ago, this was labelled 'The DVA Disability Pension').

There is no reason whatever why an Aussie cannot get both.

Well covered in the website etc., materials.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

If you get one of them, you can't qualify for the other one.  

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It was a genuine question.

In the UK a Service Pension does not disqualify you from claiming the State Pension at retirement age.

Neither does having a Company / Private pension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Well covered in the website etc., materials.

Really? 

More misinformation from you. 

https://www.dva.gov.au/get-support/financial-support/income-support/support-when-you-cannot-work/pensions/social-security-age-pension-overview#:~:text=You cannot receive an Age,related payments) from Services Australia.

Age Pension and Service Pension

You cannot receive an Age Pension as well as a Service Pension from DVA or any other Social Security Pension or benefit (except child-related payments) from Services Australia.

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

It was a genuine question.

In the UK a Service Pension does not disqualify you from claiming the State Pension at retirement age.

Neither does having a Company / Private pension.

You can't receive both. 

See this link from a government website.

https://www.dva.gov.au/get-support/financial-support/income-support/support-when-you-cannot-work/pensions/social-security-age-pension-overview#:~:text=You cannot receive an Age,related payments) from Services Australia.

8 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Really? 

More misinformation from you. 

Age Pension and Service Pension

You cannot receive an Age Pension as well as a Service Pension from DVA or any other Social Security Pension or benefit (except child-related payments) from Services Australia.

My former Australian GF was getting a Canadian social security pension in addition to her OAP.

20 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Dual Nationals are obviously different.

It was some time ago, but AFAIK she only had Australian nationality. She did not have a Canadian passport when we went there.

I don't know how Canadian SS works, but she was employed over there for quite a while. She was married to a Canadian previously.

On 12/17/2023 at 6:14 PM, The Cyclist said:

Is Australia different ?

Yes it is, Oz only allow 1 state sponsored pension. If you worked in another country, say UK, Oz collects it for you and it's used towards you Oz pension.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 11:13 AM, Lacessit said:

It was some time ago, but AFAIK she only had Australian nationality. She did not have a Canadian passport when we went there.

Sounds like she had PR in Canada and worked there for years, thus, qualifying for a social security payment. 

That's not getting two pension payments in Australia though, is it?