Australian Aged Pension

1 hour ago, ozz1 said:

If you look up Pattaya mail you will find the article

Reading the article, there are opinions by people who have spent a lot of time on the topic.

However, there is no officially-sourced statement that says pensioners of any nation will be exempted from taxation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Reading the article, there are opinions by people who have spent a lot of time on the topic.

However, there is no officially-sourced statement that says pensioners of any nation will be exempted from taxation.

Pension / pensioners are broad termsIn reality it could mean different things in different countries. This is why may of us would like to see full details.  

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Pension / pensioners are broad termsIn reality it could mean different things in different countries. This is why may of us would like to see full details.  

Call it what you will, but it all means remitted funds and global income to Thai authorities. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2024 at 3:45 AM, ozz1 said:

Also i just read on Pattaya mail that pension will not be subjected to the new tax laws do hopefully that puts it to rest

Watch between 16 minutes and 20 minutes. 

The DTA differentiates between government pensions and occupational government pensions.  

There is no exemption for government pensions, that's Centerlink pensions, in the DTA.  

Article 18 of the DTA relies on the provisions of Article 19, and Article 19 is about occupational government pensions.

So, do these guys put "it to rest" or does the Pattaya Mail put "it to rest?" 

On 6/16/2024 at 9:30 AM, Olmate said:

Agree totally, tried same about 6.weeks back, however I got the bad experience twice, not your good one at all. Absolutely clueless, then graduated to rude and arrogant, bothtimes young female.Gave it away then, I was trying to get info from Mygov, will leave it till I go back, both times cost me over1k baht.

I've been on the 4 weekly international transfer of pension payments for many years, never ever had a problem. And I've always had very productive / polite calls on the Centrelink /Service Australia free call number.

But a week back I called, the lady was polite but clearly lacking in even some basic information. I mentioned the 4 weekly pay cycle, her response was 'there's no such thing'.  Then she claimed there's 'no process for Centrelink to send money abroad'.

I politely disagreed saying that my pension entitlement appears in my Thai bank every 4 weeks.

She, politely, finished the call saying 'I've given you the appropriate information I can't tell you any more'.

There have been very long delays in gaining approval for the OAP and also mention from Centrelink re several thousand new staff.

I guess I encountered a newbie still in the early stages of training because I did call back the next day and got an officer fully aware of the points above and very apologetic for the wrong answers I had been given the previous day. She mentioned she would report this to a senior officer

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 6:29 AM, Olmate said:

New.rates come Sept.20th 2024,next.pay.period, Lucky us ozzies! Thanks albo🙏

Screenshot_20240903-132502.jpg

Interesting. 

That's around a 2.5% increase.  Last I heard, the CPI in Australia was around 3.6% or 3.8%.  That would mean pensioners in Australia are slipping backwards. 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I've been on the 4 weekly international transfer of pension payments for many years, never ever had a problem. And I've always had very productive / polite calls on the Centrelink /Service Australia free call number.

But a week back I called, the lady was polite but clearly lacking in even some basic information. I mentioned the 4 weekly pay cycle, her response was 'there's no such thing'.  Then she claimed there's 'no process for Centrelink to send money abroad'.

I politely disagreed saying that my pension entitlement appears in my Thai bank every 4 weeks.

She, politely, finished the call saying 'I've given you the appropriate information I can't tell you any more'.

There have been very long delays in gaining approval for the OAP and also mention from Centrelink re several thousand new staff.

I guess I encountered a newbie still in the early stages of training because I did call back the next day and got an officer fully aware of the points above and very apologetic for the wrong answers I had been given the previous day. She mentioned she would report this to a senior officer

Did you tell the call center staff if you were on an aged pension, or a vet's pension.  You have posted on this forum you are on both, and we all know you can't be. 

Probably why she hung up on you.  :smile:

11 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Interesting. 

That's around a 2.5% increase.  Last I heard, the CPI in Australia was around 3.6% or 3.8%.  That would mean pensioners in Australia are slipping backwards. 

No, pension goes up twice per year, so that's 1.8% in March and now 2.6% in September for a 4.4% total increase this year

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

No, pension goes up twice per year, so that's 1.8% in March and now 2.6% in September for a 4.4% total increase this year

I am still "domiciled" in Australia, so picked up the $300 electricity cash.  A few hundred dollars behind the aged pensioners pick up, but as Olmate says, "Thanks Albo."  :smile: 

Not to bad for non voters, hey?  :cheesy:

Edited by KhunHeineken

14 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am still "domiciled" in Australia, so picked up the $300 electricity cash.  A few hundred dollars behind the aged pensioners pick up, but as Olmate says, "Thanks Albo."  :smile: 

Not to bad for non voters, hey?  :cheesy:

"$300 electricity cash" is a credit linked to your electricity account your owned/rental property is connected to. So saying you got the $300 cash because you are "still domiciled" in Australia is a load of BS unless you have an empty property in Australia still connected to elec in your name

Edited by Pattaya57

8 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

"$300 electricity cash" is a credit linked to your electricity account your owned/rental property is connected to. So saying you got the $300 because you are "still domiciled" in Australia (ie Resident for tax) is a load of BS

No.  I have to pay the electricity bill anyway, so that's $300 I don't have to pay, so it's as good as money in my pocket, more so, when you take GST into account on the $300.

I am just on a long holiday, remember, because the current 90 year old laws allow me to say it's my "intention" to return to Australia to live.  :smile:

Unlike many others, I haven't burnt all my bridges back home.  I actually do have a property I can go back and live in, should I want to, or need to. 

Why do you think Australia wants to move to a physical presence and time based model, like Thailand, and many other countries?

Geezzzzz, if Thailand has it, how stupid does Australia look without it?  :cheesy:

Edited by KhunHeineken

16 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

No.  I have to pay the electricity bill anyway, so that's $300 I don't have to pay, so it's as good as money in my pocket, more so, when you take GST into account on the $300.

I am just on a long holiday, remember, because the current 90 year old laws allow me to say it's my "intention" to return to Australia to live.  :smile:

So you have an empty property in Australia while you live in Thailand. How stupid is that when you could be renting it out (I rent out my 2br unit for $32,500 per year so much better than leaving it empty to get a $300 elec credit when you're not there to use electricity)

So your story still sounds made up and you never got the $300 elec cash

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So you have an empty property in Australia while you live in Thailand. How stupid is that when you could be renting it out (I rent out my 2br 80sqm unit for $32,500 per year so much better than leaving it empty to get a $300 elec credit)

Did I say it was empty? 

Perhaps, I have a cash agreement with a friend or family member.  Perhaps someone who's going to fly in cash for me to Thailand when they holiday, paying their rent to me in Oz, and also minimizing my Thai tax liability.   

If you are renting out an Aussie property for $32,500 per year, I gather you are not getting the the full pension, nor, the $300 electricity cash that I am. 

How stupid is that?   You are getting less than everyone else on the forum.  :cheesy:

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Did I say it was empty? 

Perhaps, I have a cash agreement with a friend or family member.  Perhaps someone who's going to fly in cash for me to Thailand when they holiday, paying their rent to me in Oz, and also minimizing my Thai tax liability.   

Your story now even more incredible as bs 😆 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Your story now even more incredible as bs 😆 

Why is that? 

Is it because you are the fool paying more tax than you should, and not receiving a bigger part pension than what you could be?

A family member is living in my property, and we have an "agreement."  They also holiday in Thailand, usually twice a year.  Upon catching up, cash is exchanged for rent and utility bills.  None of it's right down to the dollar.  It works for them, and works for me.  We both benefit financially.  It's amicable.

The property is just a bolthole for me.  We are both happy with the deal.  They get reasonably cheap rent, I get a "domicile" in Australia and some cash, and I haven't burnt all my bridges, and don't pay non resident tax rates. 

Where's the BS in this?  I have quite a few Aussie friends doing the same.  

24 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

A family member is living in my property, and we have an "agreement."  They also holiday in Thailand, usually twice a year.  Upon catching up, cash is exchanged for rent and utility bills.  None of it's right down to the dollar.  It works for them, and works for me.  We both benefit financially.  It's amicable.

The property is just a bolthole for me.  We are both happy with the deal.  They get reasonably cheap rent, I get a "domicile" in Australia and some cash, and I haven't burnt all my bridges, and don't pay non resident tax rates. 

Where's the BS in this?  I have quite a few Aussie friends doing the same.  

So basically you admit to being a tax fraud criminal along with all your tax fraud criminal friends doing the same thing. Pretty sure your credibility for offering any tax advice on this forum is shot

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So basically you admit to being a tax fraud criminal along with all your criminal friends

Isn't every retired expat receiving an old age pension the same?

The pension is deemed an income. 

The pension is taxable. 

They are clearly a non resident for tax purposes as they have not been back to Australia for several years, and do not maintain a "domicile" in Australia.

And here's the non resident tax rates.

A lot of "Aussie criminals" living in Thailand.  :cheesy:

Guess what, the proposed changes to tax residency laws are not "just for guys like Paul Hogan."   :cheesy:

The proposed changes are about stopping the non resident gravy train, which I freely admit I am on, yet, many others on this forum refuse to admit they are on also, because hey, the pension is not taxed in Australia, and forget about the fact they are not living in Australia.   :cheesy:

For the record, I have other income that is taxed accordingly. 

Foreign resident tax rates 2024–25

Taxable income

Tax on this income

0 – $135,000

30c for each $1

$135,001 – $190,000

$40,500 plus 37c for each $1 over $135,000

$190,001 and over

$60,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $190,000

Edited by KhunHeineken

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

Up late or $hit the bed KH, I bet its the later given the drivel your last few comments contain.  but crikey  your impending demise is great to witness! 🙏lol

His constant crap posting will more than likely get the thread closed.

He's pretty much destroyed most of the other ones.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Will27 said:

His constant crap posting will more than likely get the thread closed.

He's pretty much destroyed most of the other ones.

The story telling, the "once upon a time", to me sounds like dadndave... could it be 'oldtimers' disease?? 

10 minutes ago, Olmate said:

The story telling, the "once upon a time", to me sounds like dadndave... could it be 'oldtimers' disease?? 

I ignore him. Best thing to do is give him no oxygen whatsoever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

He should've been banned ages ago but I assume he gets away with it because he generates posts.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

And the easiest way to do that is to put him on your ignore list.

How? Very simple, let your mouse float over his username, that will open another small document and near the bottom, right hand side you can see 'ignore'. Click on ignore, all done.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

How? Very simple, let your mouse float over his username, that will open another small document and near the bottom, right hand side you can see 'ignore'. Click on ignore, all done.

What makes you think I don't know how to use the ignore function?

48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is that why you voted liberalall those years? 😄