Australian Aged Pension

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Before I moved here 14 years ago I was told by a Centrelink employee that my pension would stop once I left Australia. Had to get her to go online while I was there to read the actual policy re moving overseas. If I hadn't already known the facts it may have dissuaded me from moving.

When in Sydney many many years ago I called the older Oz line and said I wanted some advice about portability. The stubborn female office responded quickly 'there's no such thing, do you really expect Australia to pay you in another currency?' and she hng up. 

I politely hung up and called again, different pleasant office, I shared what had happened 2 minutes earlier. She responded 'please give me 2 minutes and I can identify who you spoke to, please don't hang up. About 5 minutes later a more senior officer came on the line and strongly apologized. Then she gave me me a lot of information and advice re portability.

She shared that the errant officer had a track record of rudeness and wrong answer.  About 3 days later the errant officer called me and apologised and shared that she would finish work that day, she had been sacked. Snr officer called very late same day to check that the errant officer had called me and apologized. 

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

When in Sydney many many years ago I called the older Oz line and said I wanted some advice about portability. The stubborn female office responded quickly 'there's no such thing, do you really expect Australia to pay you in another currency?' and she hng up. 

I politely hung up and called again, different pleasant office, I shared what had happened 2 minutes earlier. She responded 'please give me 2 minutes and I can identify who you spoke to, please don't hang up. About 5 minutes later a more senior officer came on the line and strongly apologized. Then she gave me me a lot of information and advice re portability.

She shared that the errant officer had a track record of rudeness and wrong answer.  About 3 days later the errant officer called me and apologised and shared that she would finish work that day, she had been sacked. Snr officer called very late same day to check that the errant officer had called me and apologized. 

That was justice. The officer who gave me bad information I kind of paid out a bit, told her to check before giving people bad info. Surprise, surprise my pension was stopped the first week I moved here. Maybe a coincidence, maybe payback. I had to ring the international off and get reinstated.