Australian Aged Pension

In September 2012 i returned to Oz, just prior to turning 65, to apply for the aged pension. I filled in the forms and applied and within 10 days i received a phone call telling me that i could not have the pension as i was not considered a Resident of Australia. I immediately put in an objection as i had returned to Oz to reside which i had stated on the Arrival Card. This went through the complete process which took a total of 7 months and finally at the Tribunal they came up with the decision that i was not a resident of Oz and could not have the pension. I was born in Oz and lived there for 57 years but this has nothing to do with it, nor does how much Tax you paid during your working life, and i paid plenty, including Capital Gains Tax when i sold my Business in 2001. I was told if i returned again with my Thai Wife also i would probably then receive the pension. The fact is when i applied i told the Truth. I had a wife in Thailand, I had a Thai Company which owned the land that my house was built on, which is in my name. Their attitude was that i would leave after the 2 year period that is stipulated and would still receive the pension overseas when i left so they were not interested in granting it to me. If i had lied and not mentioned that i had a Thai wife or company and house in Thailand i would have probably been granted the pension. If you want to be reasonably sure of getting it you must Return to Live in Oz 2 years before applying and live there for the full 2 years, NO trips out of the country during this time. They don't allow people to have holidays it seems, once you get to Pension Age. The whole thing stinks. While living back in Oz you need to compile evidence of your living there, like Power bills, telephone bills, Rent receipts etc. Anything to show that you are a Resident of Oz. At the end of my long and drawn out application and refusal i told them that as i am not considered a Resident of Oz and held NO Visa for any other Country, then i must be considered a Refugee. They told me NO, you are an Australian Citizen. I told them that All Refugees are a Citizen of some Country or other, But they still are considered Refugees and are sent to Christmas Island which is maybe where i should go, then the Government would eventually give me everything, a lot more than the Old Aged Pension. So if you want it head back to live in OZ. Good Luck.

In September 2012 i returned to Oz, just prior to turning 65, to apply for the aged pension.

<snip>

I had a Thai Company which owned the land that my house was built on, which is in my name.

The OAP is a privilege, not a right.

It's a safety net, not a stipend to someone who may not be in desperate need of support.

That extends to those who have a generous Bank Balance (not referring to DJH77) yet still claim the pension.

It will be well in excess of two decades before I qualify for a Pension.

Currently the taxes I pay go, in part to pay your Pensions.

By the time I qualify I doubt the OAP will resemble remotely anything like it does today ... it will far less generous because the Country simply can't afford this level of Social Welfare.

Am I bitter about this ... no. Life is what it is.

My Dad paid for his Grandfathers pension, I pay for yours (my dad has passed)

For people like BookMan and me (he's younger BTW) ... it will be our Superannuation, the money we were forced to save which will support us (mostly) in the future.

Responsibility for one's own welfare is the direction for the future.

Maybe rightly so ...

^^^ I've been mulling this over myself. Here we have all that middle-class welfare that Mr Hockey is unlikely to touch, seeing as his side of politics brought most of it in. And it will in fact be added to shortly with the ridiculous paid parental leave of up to $75,000 for mothers to take six months off work. Yet they are attacking the OAP and Medicare. Why? They've sniffed the wind and have a good idea what the majority are thinking / feeling is all that I can come up with.

Abbott has a PR issue with Woman.

It was just spin for the then Labor government, but the mud stuck. Tthe Parental Care scheme is portray TA as being 'woman focused' ... again ... spin.

I agreed with Labor's policy and I think that the coalition's one is to generous.

I'm not sure what part of Medicare is being attacked, but I am in favour of a 'co-payment' when you visit the Doctor ... cira $10 ... it places a value on visiting the GP. Ditto Emergency at the Hospital.

What part of the OAP is the Government attacking?

OAP - similar friendly-media softening up underway, talk of raising the eligibility age to 70 and even taking the value of one's home into account in the asset test.

What I've seen in the press is that they're talking about pensioners who live in "expensive" homes. I didn't see any indicator of what was "expensive" though.

Though this thread isn't really Visas or Migration related it's been running for a considerable time here.

I'm minded to move it to General and make it a pinned topic, similar to the UK Pension topic.

Do any of you regular contributors have any objection?

• Like 1

Though this thread isn't really Visas or Migration related it's been running for a considerable time here.

I'm minded to move it to General and make it a pinned topic, similar to the UK Pension topic.

No, good idea to provide a better profile

It is a topic which concerns many here and definitely deserves its place. It could do with some cleaning up as there are many posts not relating to the pension but to whether or not it is right to have one,.eg David47s posts just above.

In my view these detract from the benifit of it being a thread giving information about the Australian Aged Pension as do the posts about Disability Support which is an entirely seperate topicl.

I fear that a move to general will cause an increase on this type of post but it is true that it really does not belong in this topic.

Edited by harrry

It could do with some cleaning up as there are many posts not relating to the pension but to whether or not it is right to have one,.eg David47s posts just above.

harrry ... I can't believe you actually wrote that ... blink.png

The pension affects those now receiving it and those planning for the future ... maybe time to look outside your small square.

BTW ... thanks for the age reduction ... thumbsup.gif

It could do with some cleaning up as there are many posts not relating to the pension but to whether or not it is right to have one,.eg David47s posts just above.

harrry ... I can't believe you actually wrote that ... blink.png

The pension affects those now receiving it and those planning for the future ... maybe time to look outside your small square.

BTW ... thanks for the age reduction ... thumbsup.gif

David56....not saying not of interest to discuss. But it does not help to much the people who are looking for information on how to get and whether pensions are portable or whether they can be paid into banks here which is what I consider the main point of this thread as it relates to a Thailand forum. Too much of this thread is posts like this or that people on pensioners are bums and makes information hard to find for those who need it.

^^^ I've been mulling this over myself. Here we have all that middle-class welfare that Mr Hockey is unlikely to touch, seeing as his side of politics brought most of it in. And it will in fact be added to shortly with the ridiculous paid parental leave of up to $75,000 for mothers to take six months off work. Yet they are attacking the OAP and Medicare. Why? They've sniffed the wind and have a good idea what the majority are thinking / feeling is all that I can come up with.

Abbott has a PR issue with Woman.

It was just spin for the then Labor government, but the mud stuck. Tthe Parental Care scheme is portray TA as being 'woman focused' ... again ... spin.

I agreed with Labor's policy and I think that the coalition's one is to generous.

I'm not sure what part of Medicare is being attacked, but I am in favour of a 'co-payment' when you visit the Doctor ... cira $10 ... it places a value on visiting the GP. Ditto Emergency at the Hospital.

What part of the OAP is the Government attacking?

OAP - similar friendly-media softening up underway, talk of raising the eligibility age to 70 and even taking the value of one's home into account in the asset test.

What I've seen in the press is that they're talking about pensioners who live in "expensive" homes. I didn't see any indicator of what was "expensive" though.

Yes. But for the price of a modest Sydney suburban home you could buy a mansion overlooking the Derwent in Hobart. Which owner is then "well off"? (Two-headed Tasmanian jokes aside. biggrin.png )

If you want to be reasonably sure of getting it you must Return to Live in Oz 2 years before applying and live there for the full 2 years, NO trips out of the country during this time. They don't allow people to have holidays it seems, once you get to Pension Age.

Was the "No trips" bit ever stated by Centrelink? I can (kind of) understand the no-travel restriction in the two-year "probation" period AFTER being granted the OAP, but in the two-years leading up to OAP age?

If you want to be reasonably sure of getting it you must Return to Live in Oz 2 years before applying and live there for the full 2 years, NO trips out of the country during this time. They don't allow people to have holidays it seems, once you get to Pension Age.

Was the "No trips" bit ever stated by Centrelink? I can (kind of) understand the no-travel restriction in the two-year "probation" period AFTER being granted the OAP, but in the two-years leading up to OAP age?

If returning to Australia to claim Aged Pension and residency criteria are met, during the two year residence period for Aged Pension portability it is a maximum of six weeks if travelling overseas before payments are stopped. There is no restart of the two year period upon return. Also you are not obliged to return to Ausralia for two years prior to claiming Aged pension, its complying to the residency criteria that is essential.

From a Oz government website a lot more detail on the residency assessment process and some example case studies at:

http://guidesacts.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-3/ssguide-3.1/ssguide-3.1.1/ssguide-3.1.1.10.html

Edited by simple1

Just a warning to anyone contemplating drawing an o/a pension whilst overseas...........DO NOT use your local Centrelink office, but go directly to The Overseas Pensions Office ( think they are in Adelaide) I am living in Thailand and get my pension fortnightly. However at one stage the Caboolture office ( as with NIGNOY) threatened to stop my pension after a number of weeks overseas. I stumbled on Overseas pensions and they quickly put things right for me, that was 8 years ago, no problems since. I return to oz annually and yes i do have to inform Centrelink on arrival and when leaving.

Just a warning to anyone contemplating drawing an o/a pension whilst overseas...........DO NOT use your local Centrelink office, but go directly to The Overseas Pensions Office ( think they are in Adelaide) I am living in Thailand and get my pension fortnightly. However at one stage the Caboolture office ( as with NIGNOY) threatened to stop my pension after a number of weeks overseas. I stumbled on Overseas pensions and they quickly put things right for me, that was 8 years ago, no problems since. I return to oz annually and yes i do have to inform Centrelink on arrival and when leaving.

Now know as International Services

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/international-services#a2

The Centrelink International Services office is located in Hobart. The direct line is 13 1673. Personally I have found them very helpful but I had to submit the OAP claim to the local office.

Edited by CeeBee

• 1 month later...

00000 Unless you have lived in Australia for 2 years before applying and leaving.

0 if you have not had a total of 10 years in australia during your working age.

Variable if you have not lived in Australia 35 years during your working age.

if you check all the boxes about $750 a fortnight.

Edited by harrry

does anybody know how much centrelink pension I can exspect when I retire in Thailand,i have no assets, and can not get any sense out of centrelink in Australia. confused...........

Details on eligibilty, payments and so on at:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

If you returned to live in Australia and were granted or transferred to Age Pension within the last 2 years, you will not be able to receive your Age Pension outside the country. After you return, to be paid outside the country, you must have been living in Australia for two years since your last arrival for residence.

If you have more specific questions I recommend you contact Centrelink International Services on 131 673

Ok, I have read a lot but not all of the replies here especialy the most recent because I am in a position of being one year off claiming my Aus old age pension. I am confused and so am asking for advice.

Some expats here in Thailand say they get the pension and some say they don't. It seems like you have to talk with the Hobart branch of Centrelink directly and pleed your case. But I am not sure how much or what to tell them. I could say the wrong thing and not receive it, as some people have stated.

I've only been here 5 months with my GF but intend to live here permenantly, but am thinking in order to appear to be a permanent Aus resident ( which is what most people say is the hard part) maybe I should return briefly so as not to be away too long and make contact directly, just on the pretext of making general enquiries so they have a record of me being there at that time, then leave again on my British passport as I have both Aus and Brit passports.

What I am trying to do is appear to be resident, while actually living in Thailand. Do you think it will help if I got a new visa on a British passport? I don't know, I am not sure if it will register with them that I am out of the country. I think perhaps I am hoping too much.

Then closer to my 65th birthday returning and applying for the pension.

I don't know if anyone here has tried recently to do anything like this, did it work? I just find it unacceptable that we don't receive a pension because we are out of the country. As has already ben stated here we are no longer a burden on the health system there etc.

Hope I get a reply that works for me, thanks guys.

Ok, I have read a lot but not all of the replies here especialy the most recent because I am in a position of being one year off claiming my Aus old age pension. I am confused and so am asking for advice.

Some expats here in Thailand say they get the pension and some say they don't. It seems like you have to talk with the Hobart branch of Centrelink directly and pleed your case. But I am not sure how much or what to tell them. I could say the wrong thing and not receive it, as some people have stated.

I've only been here 5 months with my GF but intend to live here permenantly, but am thinking in order to appear to be a permanent Aus resident ( which is what most people say is the hard part) maybe I should return briefly so as not to be away too long and make contact directly, just on the pretext of making general enquiries so they have a record of me being there at that time, then leave again on my British passport as I have both Aus and Brit passports.

What I am trying to do is appear to be resident, while actually living in Thailand. Do you think it will help if I got a new visa on a British passport? I don't know, I am not sure if it will register with them that I am out of the country. I think perhaps I am hoping too much.

I don't know if anyone here has tried recently to do anything like this, did it work? I just find it unacceptable that we don't receive a pension because we are out of the country. As has already ben stated here we are no longer a burden on the health system there etc.

There is no choice. If you intend to recieve your pension permanently here you must go back and live in Australia for 2 years. There is NO option of pleading your case, You cannot appear to be resident while living in Thailand.

• Like 2

Sorry, no joy from me either.

Your scheme of using your British passport will not work, unless it is in a completely different identity in which case you could be opening yourself up to serious charges if it came to light

Australia's Movement Data Base matches by name and dob not just by passport number.

As an Australian citizen you are ineligible to get an Australian visa in any passport. (Australians have automatic right of entry and their is no provision in the Migration Act for a visa) If you were able to get one overseas through error, it would probably be cancelled when you arrived and your movements were matched,

I do sympathise, I lost my partial DSP when I moved to Thailand and the bastards are trying to increase the tax on my super pension.

OC (ex Immi)

• Like 1

Commission of Audit recommends cradle-to-grave cuts in report released by Federal Government

By political correspondent Emma Griffiths

Updated 4 minutes ago

A raft of potentially explosive spending cuts to government services and payments have been recommended by the Federal Government's Commission of Audit.

Family payments, child care, health care, education, unemployment and pension payments, aged care and the National Disability Insurance Scheme are all among those areas in the firing line.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-01/commission-of-audit-report-released-by-federal-government/5423556

take a look at this!!!!!!

A raft of potentially explosive spending cuts to government services and payments have been recommended by the Abbott Government's Commission of Audit.

In a 900-page report with more than 250 recommendations, the Commission argues that without difficult decisions now, future generations will face either greatly higher taxes or dramatically reduced services.

Family payments, child care, health care, education, unemployment and pension payments, aged care and the National Disability Insurance Scheme are all among those areas in the firing line.

But amongst its most dramatic recommendations, the Commission recommends a $15 co-payment for any medical visit, including the family home in the age pension test, a cut in the minimum wage and an effective $300 a fortnight reduction in the age pension.

I recently returned to Australia & in preperation for claiming Aged Pension requested my Movements Record from Immigration. It shows all movements in/out of Australia, including flight number and country of passport I used (I have triple citizenship that includes Australia). For movements older than 30 years you have to obtain a record, at no charge, from National Archives Australia.

I have contacted Centrelink International regarding the new requirement for 35 years Working Life Residency - as of 07/2014 - for full Aged Pension & they advised it only applies after 26 weeks departure from Australia; perhaps someone would like to cross check as Centrelink staff are notorious for providing conflicting guidance. Above are a few alarmist posts concerning tightening of eligility for Aged Pension, in the past few days Abbott has gone on record that nothing is happening until after the next election, we will see if he keeps to his word.

Edited by simple1

I thought the 13 week rule applied to other Centrelink payments such as the dole, not aged pensions. I would take the advice of immigration officers at the airport with a large grain of salt.

There are also other rules as well as being in Australia on the day you lodge. You must have lived in Australia for a minimum number of years during your working life- I think 20 years - and paid tax during that time. It's all on the Centrelink website.

Some benefits including the DSP are now six. The DSP was 13 but it has since been reduced to 6. I would question the dole. If you have money in the bank you can apply for the dole but it won't be granted. You are expected to be self supportive and motivated to look for employment whilst having money in the bank and if unsuccessful apply for the dole when it is depleted. Pensions allow you to freely move around the country or out of it with a successful application of Indefinite or Permanent Portability. You can't leave your applied address without jeopardizing the dole unless it is to be closer to family or to an area where your opportunities of employment are higher. I can't imagine getting the dole and then be able to travel. Abbott is an idiot but hard working Aussies aren't.

post-189933-0-63246900-1398965924_thumb.

post-189933-0-46459100-1398965930_thumb.

Edited by aussiejon1604

Yes as from 1st July 2014 it will be 35years

but will not affect those who are already overseas unless they return to Australia for more than 26weeks

It will not affect those who are already overseas IF THEY RECEIVE THE PENSION ALREADY and return for more than 26 weeks.

I thought the 13 week rule applied to other Centrelink payments such as the dole, not aged pensions. I would take the advice of immigration officers at the airport with a large grain of salt.

There are also other rules as well as being in Australia on the day you lodge. You must have lived in Australia for a minimum number of years during your working life- I think 20 years - and paid tax during that time. It's all on the Centrelink website.

Some benefits including the DSP are now six. The DSP was 13 but it has since been reduced to 6. I would question the dole. If you have money in the bank you can apply for the dole but it won't be granted. You are expected to be self supportive and motivated to look for employment whilst having money in the bank and if unsuccessful apply for the dole when it is depleted. Pensions allow you to freely move around the country or out of it with a successful application of Indefinite or Permanent Portability. You can't leave your applied address without jeopardizing the dole unless it is to be closer to family or to an area where your opportunities of employment are higher. I can't imagine getting the dole and then be able to travel. Abbott is an idiot but hard working Aussies aren't.

Thats right you can NOT get payed on the dole to travel