Australian Aged Pension

You are making facts up to suit yourself Chiang2000. Saying that pensions are a basic human right is nonsensical.

BookMan and I are mates.

We disagree on many things ... and that's great ... keeps me on my toes.

He writes "Saying that pensions are a basic human right is nonsensical" ... thumbsup.gif

Pensions are a safety net, not an income source. They are a privilege, not a right.

That said, most likely when I retire, circa over 2 decades hence and Bookie closer to 3 decades, there will no pension as we know it today which you guys benefit from.

We will have to take care of ourselves through superannuation, a personal pension scheme.

Now, hawking back (pun intended) there were salary rises forgone so that there could be the 'Super' scheme. Back then, we could have had more toys to play with, more coin in the pocket ... but no, the Government made us have a forced saving scheme to help us in the times ahead, 37 years ahead in my case when we weren't working anymore.

It's our taxes which we pay now which, in part, gives you your pension ... as you did by paying your Father's.

None of us begrudge doing that.

It was the system with which you were raised.

Added to that, there was a sense 'of entitlement' ... that the State would take care of you.

That entitlement phase is over ... the country simply can't afford an ever increasing Welfare Bill.

But it can afford the ever increasing payments and benefits to "has been" and present politicians.

The Pollies Pension, the Armed Forces, Federal Govt employees etc ... those whose Super is 'unfunded' is actually funded by the 97.57 Billion Future Fund.

My dream is that starting tomorrow, those guys go onto the same system as what I have, that being a personal Superannuation fund and that, in 30 or 40 years hence, when I'm pushing up daisies that Future Fund which could be close to a Trillion Dollars be available to all Australians to better their life.

I can but dream.

mcfish, on 12 Jun 2014 - 03:19, said:
mickjn, on 12 Jun 2014 - 02:20, said:

I have been on the OAP since September last year.I have posted before that I was on the Disability Pension since I was 49 due to reoccurring brain tumours.During this time I left Australia on many occasions,never told them and had no problems.A few weeks before I turned 65 I was sent out forms and a letter asking if I wanted to change to the OAP.I had a bit of trouble understanding the forms so I went to Cenrelink and a guy there who was very helpful helped me fill in the forms.I took all my banking details,inverstments,which was small etc..The guy said this will be no problems your pensions will just change over.A few days later I got a call from Centrelink to come up for an interview.When I went I was greeted by a lady and 2 gentlemen.If you have ever been interviewed by the coppers they are amauters compared to these guys.They were on about a missing $30000 from my bank account.I told them I have been asked about this matter 4 times over the years and I have told them everytime I know nothing about $30000 as I told them last time if you can find the money you can keep it.They had all my bank accounts for years,trips in and out of Australia,they knew more about me than I knew about myself.In the end they eased up in this and turned to my trips to Thailand..The main thing they were going on about was that I didn't notify them I was leaving.They said you get a letter from us and it is in that letter you have to notify us when you leave it is in that letter.I told them I have not read the letter as I cannot concentrate on reading,I have had operations on my brain.Then they played their final card.They said you left the country for 7 months and did not tell us and they told me the dates.I was thinking then the light went on for the first time in years.I said that is not correct,so how do I know what you are saying about the $30000 is correct.They were angry now and said this information is 100%.I said I am going now if you want to come with me I will show you my passport which is stamped when I left Australia for a month when came back.About 6 months laterI went to Bali for a month there are stamps in my passport for in and out They were saying I was out of the country for 7 straight months which was wrong.I went home not long after I was switched to the OAP

I am in LOS for 90 days.Before I left I rang them up and told them I was leaving.The girl asked me how long I was leaving for I said 90 days.She said are sure only 90 days I said yes.She said hang on I have to work it out.She came back and said after 6 weeks your pension is reduced.I said it was 26 weeks she said no you get a clean energy supplement which you do not get after 6 weeks,it will make your pension about $8 a fortnight less.If you stay longer and go over 26 weeks your pension will be reduced again but not by much but you will loose your benefits.She seemed a nice girl so I asked her.I have a mate living overseas and he is going to come back when he is 65 what does he have to.She said it is simple,come back for 2 years leave again we will give him his pension but soon the age will be going up to 67.I said ok then I said just one final question I ring you when I leave do I have to ring you when I come back.She said no unless your circumstances change dramactilly we will know.She said its not like the days when you used to leave the country and not tell us and she laughed. I started laughing to she was a good girl. You cannot get anyway with much now they know all the tricks

mick, dont take this the wrong way but Im wondering what was the point of your post?

You are right Sir,it was stupid and pointless please forgive me mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa

Not stupid, just a bit too trusting. I understand you just wanted to point out that although the individuals are human there the processes are fixed and big brother knows all.

I just read it as a post giving another example of the self serving welfare state Australia has become.

The Pollies Pension, the Armed Forces, Federal Govt employees etc ... those whose Super is 'unfunded' is actually funded by the 97.57 Billion Future Fund.

My dream is that starting tomorrow, those guys go onto the same system as what I have, that being a personal Superannuation fund and that, in 30 or 40 years hence, when I'm pushing up daisies that Future Fund which could be close to a Trillion Dollars be available to all Australians to better their life.

I can but dream.

David

As an ex public servant, I'm living on my Comsuper pension which I started paying into long before most Australians knew what superannuation was. Most other workers were planning for retirement on the OAP in those days. The Future Fund didn't exist until much later. I, and my employer, paid all contributions over a long period of time.

Granted, the employer contribution was higher than outside the service (although no where near what the Pollies get!). However, we always considered that to be the one major perk we received to offset the down side of being considered the dregs by the general public, and our own employers, and watching our pay rates and working conditions degrade every time a government wanted to impress voters..

I would be entitled to a partial, top up, OAP under the income test if I went back to Australia and jumped through Centrelink's hoops. Not going to happen, not worth it.

I can but dream.

David

As an ex public servant, I'm living on my Comsuper pension which I started paying into long before most Australians knew what superannuation was. Most other workers were planning for retirement on the OAP in those days. The Future Fund didn't exist until much later. I, and my employer, paid all contributions over a long period of time.

Granted, the employer contribution was higher than outside the service (although no where near what the Pollies get!). However, we always considered that to be the one major perk we received to offset the down side of being considered the dregs by the general public, and our own employers, and watching our pay rates and working conditions degrade every time a government wanted to impress voters..

I would be entitled to a partial, top up, OAP under the income test if I went back to Australia and jumped through Centrelink's hoops. Not going to happen, not worth it.

Jeez - if you are living on less than the OAP you must be living - hmmmm - like a pensioner.

Allowable income1a Per fortnight Combined Combined Combined Full pension up to $160.00 up to $284.00 up to $284.00 up to $284.00 Part pension less than $1,845.60 less than $2,825.20 less than $2,825.20 less than $3,655.20

David

Jeez - if you are living on less than the OAP you must be living - hmmmm - like a pensioner.

It doesn't work like that Evil.

You can earn up to $1845.60 a fortnight before a partial pension would cut out.

Check Centrelink's website under income and assets pension tests.

I currently get around $1340.00 pf in superannuation pension which means I could get a top up.

And I would never tell CL about my other investments which came from the sale of my family home.

David

Mate, you and I are old friends through the years here.

We disagree on a few things and agree on many.

Can you just clarify the difference in what you paid and what the government paid (when you were co-contributing, maybe as a % of your weekly wage)?

Are your returns (as a weekly payment) better then the OAP?

I remember reading that you are taxed differently?

How does the government justify that?

David

Mate, you and I are old friends through the years here.

We disagree on a few things and agree on many.

Can you just clarify the difference in what you paid and what the government paid (when you were co-contributing, maybe as a % of your weekly wage)?

Are your returns (as a weekly payment) better then the OAP?

I remember reading that you are taxed differently?

How does the government justify that?

You're stretching the old memory a bit here David.

I don't guarantee the figures I'm about to quote.

We could pay a minimum of 5% to a maximum of 10% into super. (The smarter ones paid 10% and copped a big lump sum at the end)

The employer contribution was 15% at one stage, but I think it went down from there. I can't quite recall, maybe 13%.

I couldn't give time lines on changes. Either way, a better rate than the private sector, as I stated.

In post #1102 there are links to a pensions newsletter. In there they reproduce a chart showing pensions, asset and income tests, partial pension cut-outs, etc, etc. A must read for those with and interest in Oz pensions.

From the chart in that link, the OAP for a single is $766 PF. Allowances only paid on shore bring it up to $842.

I've stated my pension income in a post above. It's well above the OAP for a single, but doesn't increase for dependent wives. I would still be entitled to a partial top up.

The tax I was talking about, well back in this thread, were the ATO changes where they declare citizens to be non-residents when they have been out of the country for a certain time, and start taxing us at 32.5% from dollar one earned.

Most unfair!

How does the government justify looking in their mirror every morning?

• Like 2

Yeah Croc - I forgot about that sliding scale top-up as I get two Canadian pensions as well as the OAP (I earnt them).

You better not tell Centrelink (should one venture there) about any Thai wife or co-habitating GF.

As she would be deemed "an ineligible partner" and consequently a single rate OAP would drop to 50% of the married rate which is a considerable loss of income.

Yeah Croc - I forgot about that sliding scale top-up as I get two Canadian pensions as well as the OAP (I earnt them).

You better not tell Centrelink (should one venture there) about any Thai wife or co-habitating GF.

As she would be deemed "an ineligible partner" and consequently a single rate OAP would drop to 50% of the married rate which is a considerable loss of income.

As I've said, I've decided to live my life without CL in it.

I just want the tax department to leave me the xxxx alone, I've been paying to those bastards for 45+ years, and now they want to tax my super pension at the same rate as a backpacker would pay when picking fruit.

And I don't have a Thai wife I have a carer who needs to share my bed in case I have trouble in the night.. Perhaps I should apply to CL for an allowance for her?whistling.gif

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

I just want the tax department to leave me the xxxx alone, I've been paying to those bastards for 45+ years, and now they want to tax my super pension at the same rate as a backpacker would pay when picking fruit.

And I don't have a Thai wife I have a carer who needs to share my bed in case I have trouble in the night.. Perhaps I should apply to CL for an allowance for her?whistling.gif

Croc have a look at the tax treaty between Australia and thailand.

It says pensions paid by government will only be taxed in country of residence (Thailand) It may well be the tax here is less than that and so they miss out which serves the fat gut pollies right.

http://download.rd.go.th/fileadmin/download/nation/australia_e.pdf

Edited by harrry

It says pensions paid by government will only be taxed in country of residence (Thailand) It may well be the tax here is less than that and so they miss out which serves the fat gut pollies right.

Interesting. I hadn't seen that agreement before.

This is the relevant paragraph:

1. Subject to the provisions of Article 19, pensions and annuities paid to a resident of one of the Contracting States shall be taxable only in that State.

I've yet to declare myself as a non-resident to the ATO, but will keep this in mind if the hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. .

Thanks.

And I don't have a Thai wife I have a carer who needs to share my bed in case I have trouble in the night.. Perhaps I should apply to CL for an allowance for her? whistling.gif

I don't have any likes left ... but that line above did make me ... laugh.png

... thumbsup.gif

1. Subject to the provisions of Article 19, pensions and annuities paid to a resident of one of the Contracting States shall be taxable only in that State.

I've yet to declare myself as a non-resident to the ATO, but will keep this in mind if the hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. .

Thanks.

well that was an interesting read for me too, but Croc, did n't you say way, way back that as a former public servant you have a comsuper pension ? If so, then Article 19, para 2 might be the relevant section for you :

2. Any pension paid to an individual in respect of services rendered in the discharge of governmental functions to one of the Contracting States or a political subdivision of that State or a local authority of that State shall be taxable only in that State. Such pension shall, however, be taxable only in the other Contracting State if the recipient is a resident of, and a citizen or national of, that other State.

As you are not a resident AND citizen of Thailand, "Any pension paid to an individual in respect of services rendered in the discharge of governmental functions" , ie a Comsuper pension, is taxable only in Australia. I assume my military pension (DFRDB) would also fall into the category of governmental functions, although that is under the taxfree threshold while I can remain a tax resident of Australia.

Yeah - I'm another old-timer going the "carer" root here.

EDIT: Ooops - spelling

Edited by Evilbaz

Thanks.

well that was an interesting read for me too, but Croc, did n't you say way, way back that as a former public servant you have a comsuper pension ? If so, then Article 19, para 2 might be the relevant section for you :

2. Any pension paid to an individual in respect of services rendered in the discharge of governmental functions to one of the Contracting States or a political subdivision of that State or a local authority of that State shall be taxable only in that State. Such pension shall, however, be taxable only in the other Contracting State if the recipient is a resident of, and a citizen or national of, that other State.

As you are not a resident AND citizen of Thailand, "Any pension paid to an individual in respect of services rendered in the discharge of governmental functions" , ie a Comsuper pension, is taxable only in Australia. I assume my military pension (DFRDB) would also fall into the category of governmental functions, although that is under the taxfree threshold while I can remain a tax resident of Australia.

Thanks Mike. You're right, a Comsuper pension is taxed in Australia, unless citizenship is gained in Thailand.

I stopped reading the Agreement the first time, when I got to the para I quoted above.

Back to square one.

PS. Croc, did you notice that even though this is an inter-governmental treaty they still get Australia mixed up with some country in Europe ! Article 24, re double taxation :

"may be taxed in Austria"

"In the case of Austria"

'may be taxed in Austria"

etc

etc

• Like 1

PS. Croc, did you notice that even though this is an inter-governmental treaty they still get Australia mixed up with some country in Europe ! Article 24, re double taxation :

"may be taxed in Austria"

"In the case of Austria"

'may be taxed in Austria"

etc

etc

I did notice that.tongue.png

Also noted it was signed by Paul Keating, as Australia's treasurer!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

With regard to the requirement to stay in Australia for 2 years after being approved for the Old age pension for those who have lived outside Australia prior to applying , can anyone tell me if that requirement is actually spelt out specifically in the pension approval advice letter?

Or is it necessary to check with CI to find out if the 2 years applies?

Thanks.

Hi,

With regard to the requirement to stay in Australia for 2 years after being approved for the Old age pension for those who have lived outside Australia prior to applying , can anyone tell me if that requirement is actually spelt out specifically in the pension approval advice letter?

Or is it necessary to check with CI to find out if the 2 years applies?

Thanks.

The 2 year waiting period isn't specific to the aged pension, the qualification period applies to all claims made through Human Services. The only difference with aged pension is that you can leave after satisfying the waiting period (with penalties if you're under working life limits). The two years can be accrued before, after or a combination of both.

Thanks for this information .I didn't realise it was across the board.

However I am asking if the requirement to stay in Australia for 2 years, or else, is actually mentioned specifically in the letter advising acceptance of an OAP application by an applicant who has, prior to applying, been living out of Australia . Or does one have to check to determine if this condition applies.

Just for your information I couldn't care about this.I have been back in Australia for weeks after returning from a couple of months in Thailand.I will leave next week for a long stay again.When I was leaving I rang them up and told them I was going.I was told after 6 weeks I would lose about $8 a fortnight for the carbon tax then after 26 weeks I would lose all benefits.Apparantley that is not the case now as soon as you leave you are cut back to the lowest pension,no benifits

Thanks for your experience. Just for information it turns out that the letter advising acceptance of an application for the OAP, and details re the payment amounts etc, is silent on whether a 2 year stay in Australia is required before the OAP can be paid off shore. It only "appears " when the pensioner advises that they intend to leave the country and you are then advised that the pension won't be paid for the absence period.

So, just because it isn't stated on the letter, don't assume it isn't a requirement, and check.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can but dream.

David

Same with me @david I'm having difficulty putting all this info into place and not certain if I'd qualify or as you said not worth the drama. I'm on $37K net per annum own a unit $39OK, no other assets. I have been here on and off for 6 years with 12 week trips back to see family, would I qualify?

I have just emailed the following to the Minister for Social Services.... I am sure that there are many TV readers in a similar as me.. May I suggest that if you are, then write a similar letter to the Minister. You just never know, they may come good:

Minister for Social Services
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600

Dear Minister

Facts…

I am and Old Age Pensioner, 81 years old, and married.

Have been living in Thailand for the past 5 years as I cannot afford to live on the OLP in Australia.

My wife (an Australian citizen) is not yet of pension age but I receive half of the married couple rate, averaging $500 a fortnight. So here I am supporting my wife and myself on half of the married couple rate.

My submission (and I have spoken to many others in similar situation) is that I should receive the Single Rate.

When I have discussed this with staff at CentreLink of this abnormality, they have privately suggested that I divorce my wife, then I would receive the Single rate.

Is this fair? Can this abnormality be remedied?

Sincerely,

I have just emailed the following to the Minister for Social Services.... I am sure that there are many TV readers in a similar as me.. May I suggest that if you are, then write a similar letter to the Minister. You just never know, they may come good:

Minister for Social Services

PO Box 6022

House of Representatives

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Dear Minister

Facts…

I am and Old Age Pensioner, 81 years old, and married.

Have been living in Thailand for the past 5 years as I cannot afford to live on the OLP in Australia.

My wife (an Australian citizen) is not yet of pension age but I receive half of the married couple rate, averaging $500 a fortnight. So here I am supporting my wife and myself on half of the married couple rate.

My submission (and I have spoken to many others in similar situation) is that I should receive the Single Rate.

When I have discussed this with staff at CentreLink of this abnormality, they have privately suggested that I divorce my wife, then I would receive the Single rate.

Is this fair? Can this abnormality be remedied?

Sincerely,

Sympathic to your circumstances. However, it's not an abnormality, it's legislated and wife would be expected to contribute to family finances if not of pension age. If in Oz wife would be able to claim Newstart whilst seeking work. In the bigger picture current Oz Govt is doing its best to reduce number of people on welfare or minimise existing payment increases. To be blunt, waste of time if you are seeking positive changes, in the current poltical climate, to your circumstance by way of legislation.

• Like 2

Mmmmmmm! all these overseas investigations and the staff to man it, must be costing Centre Link millions. i wonder how much they are able to "claw" back, and if the whole exercise is really worth while. coffee1.gifw00t.gif

Project Do it comes to mind via the ATO

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the advice in this forum is dependent on individual circumstances. I myself receive a part Australian OAP living in Thailand.

Yes, you MUST be in Australia to apply for the OAP. As someone else said, be prepared for 40 page forms to be filled out, notarised etc. etc.

The pension does reduce when you are overseas for more than a certain period, BUT only by the amount of the pension supplement. The base pension is not affected.

Your pension card will be cancelled if you are out of Australia for more than one year, and you have to reapply for it in Australia. However, your OAP continues to be paid.

You are better off downsizing or selling your house outright if you want to free up capital for living overseas.

The best advice I can give in this web of bureaucracy is to make an appointment in Australia to see a Centrelink Financial Information Services Officer. Go armed with all the figures on your financial status. The FIS people are the only ones who can give knowledgeable, unbiased advice relative to your individual circumstances

TO QUALIFY ONE HAS TO BE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA FOR 2 YEARS PRIOR TO CLAIMING PENSION.

IF ONE IS NOT WITHIN THE STATED TIME FRAME, THEN ONE CANNOT LEAVE AUSTRALIA FOR TWO YEARS OR PART THERE OF, AFTER CLAIMING THE PENSION.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME 8 YEARS AGO...YOU GET THE FULL PENSION IF ONE HAS BEEN PAYING TAX FOR NOW, 35 YEARS.

LIVING IN THAILAND ONE DOES NOT GET THE ADDED ONS WHICH AMOUNT TO ABOUT $65.00 A MONTH..

SO, BE PREPARED TO GO BACK TO AUSTRALIA FOR TWO YEARS TO QUALIFY... CHEERS, coffee1.gif

I live in Thailand and have done for 4 years now since I retired in 2011. I collect and can collect the aged pension indefinitely and centrelink know my address. The only thing was that after 26 weeks I lost the rent allowance, seniors allowance and low income allowance. If I returned once every six months I could have kept those items too but the expenses of going to Oz every six months outweighed the loss. In other words it cost more to go back that I would collect. Hope this helps.